Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

A quick update on my progress.

After my first chemo treatment I had quite a bit of neuropathy in my hands and feet. I found it hard to feel the steering wheel when driving which was most concerning. My oncologist was alarmed by this and prescribed duloxetine and vitamin B6 and postponed my second treatment. Her approach worked well and my neuropathy subsided.

My hair started falling out on Sunday so I had my head shaved on Tuesday evening. I was sad but its just hair. I am kinda owning it now and taking advantage of how carefree it feels--although I feel EVERY breeze blowing by...LOL

I had my third treatment yesterday and it went well. As it turns out, I am receiving Paclitaxel every week but Carboplatin every third week during this round of chemo. I think my body has gotten "used to" the Paclitaxel as my side effects are very minimal this week but I expect next week will be rough given it will include the Carboplatin again.

I hope everyone is doing well. You are all in my thoughts......especially you, dear Peg. 🙏 :grouphug:

Glad your onco was able to address the neuropathy. That can be very difficult to manage sometimes. Losing your hair is sad, even if it is just hair, but I'm glad you are owning it and feeling okay about it.

Good luck on your continued treatments and I hope the side effects stay minimal.

A quick update on my progress.

After my first chemo treatment I had quite a bit of neuropathy in my hands and feet. I found it hard to feel the steering wheel when driving which was most concerning. My oncologist was alarmed by this and prescribed duloxetine and vitamin B6 and postponed my second treatment. Her approach worked well and my neuropathy subsided.

My hair started falling out on Sunday so I had my head shaved on Tuesday evening. I was sad but its just hair. I am kinda owning it now and taking advantage of how carefree it feels--although I feel EVERY breeze blowing by...LOL

I had my third treatment yesterday and it went well. As it turns out, I am receiving Paclitaxel every week but Carboplatin every third week during this round of chemo. I think my body has gotten "used to" the Paclitaxel as my side effects are very minimal this week but I expect next week will be rough given it will include the Carboplatin again.

I hope everyone is doing well. You are all in my thoughts......especially you, dear Peg. 🙏 :grouphug:
Hope things went ok for you this week. Check in when you can!

Ongoing thoughts and prayers for Feralpeg, and anyone else who needs them!

G&C Mom - Thinking of you and hoping your treatments are progressing well and that the neuropathy is manageable.

Yesterday I went for the mammogram. It was eventful. They had me sign papers to see if they can get my old films. Good luck with that because the place went out of business. My dr. ordered Tomo. I had to wait for that machine. I took a break 1/2 way. It was hard to breathe and my back was killing me. I only cried once because she compressed a lot where I had the fibroadenoma removed and my spine was twisted too. They better not call me back .
I also had the root canal. 2 hours of torture. Then back for a temporary crown in 2 weeks Flu shot done. Next need the dexa scan. I am totally weary of all this. Will get the Pfizer booster in a few weeks too.
GAGWTA

luvmarypoppins - Sounds like you had a torturous day. Hope you pampered yourself once it was all complete!

My chemo has been just chugging along. My neuropathy has been manageable and my doctor put me on an antibiotic for my chemo rash that has also helped. I started having brief periodic hot flashes on Friday after treatment that lasted well into the night. I assume that is my ovaries being fried...lol I have 3 more treatments of the current chemo regimen before starting the Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide. I am a little freaked out about starting those because of their nasty reputations for side effects.

luvmarypoppins - Sounds like you had a torturous day. Hope you pampered yourself once it was all complete!

My chemo has been just chugging along. My neuropathy has been manageable and my doctor put me on an antibiotic for my chemo rash that has also helped. I started having brief periodic hot flashes on Friday after treatment that lasted well into the night. I assume that is my ovaries being fried...lol I have 3 more treatments of the current chemo regimen before starting the Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide. I am a little freaked out about starting those because of their nasty reputations for side effects.
Hang in there, Amanda, you’re doing great! :grouphug: It sounds like you’re getting really good care!

I'm glad to hear you are managing the side effects pretty well for your chemo. I remember going through "chemopause" during my initial diagnosis and treatment. It was definitely a case of adding insult to injury. Hope that those effects stay relatively minor. Here's hoping the transition to your new treatment regimen goes smoothly!

I've got my next 3 month CT and bone scans coming up on Thursday. Continuing to hope and pray that my current treatment (liposomal doxorubicin) is working and I can stay on it a bit longer. I'm fighting some side effects (nausea/vomiting/diarrhea) a lot more than when I initially started. I'm getting close to reaching my maximum allowable dosages though, so even if it's still working, I'll likely have to change soon. The next treatment (trodelvy) sounds like a promising one for effectiveness, but the treatments are more frequent and so I worry will interfere more with my life or increase side effects. I guess we'll find out soon.

I'm glad to hear you are managing the side effects pretty well for your chemo. I remember going through "chemopause" during my initial diagnosis and treatment. It was definitely a case of adding insult to injury. Hope that those effects stay relatively minor. Here's hoping the transition to your new treatment regimen goes smoothly!

I've got my next 3 month CT and bone scans coming up on Thursday. Continuing to hope and pray that my current treatment (liposomal doxorubicin) is working and I can stay on it a bit longer. I'm fighting some side effects (nausea/vomiting/diarrhea) a lot more than when I initially started. I'm getting close to reaching my maximum allowable dosages though, so even if it's still working, I'll likely have to change soon. The next treatment (trodelvy) sounds like a promising one for effectiveness, but the treatments are more frequent and so I worry will interfere more with my life or increase side effects. I guess we'll find out soon.

Crossing fingers that your CT and bone scans go well. Have your doctors given you meds for the nausea and vomiting? I have been lucky with the vomiting that its only happened once. My nausea meds have worked well otherwise.

Crossing fingers that your CT and bone scans go well. Have your doctors given you meds for the nausea and vomiting? I have been lucky with the vomiting that its only happened once. My nausea meds have worked well otherwise.

Thank you! I do have a couple of anti-nausea drugs that do help. The problem tends to be more that it hits me rather unexpectedly when it does hit so I don't take the drugs in time to ward it off entirely. But, it's certainly manageable thankfully.

Grace&Caroline's mom and ZellyB - Wishing you both all the best during treatment

Wanted to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. Thankful and blessed with this group. Everyone is also warm, welcoming and encouraging.
Going to the dentist today for hopefully the new crown. Booked our covid boosters for Dec.4th. Then will be blood tests, dexa scan and neck sono to book.
Everyone is supposed to come here for dinner Thurs. Tomm. ds3 and dil1 are going to her cousins wedding in Florida and coming back the next day. He also just spent a big birthday in Vegas and didn't have a great time.
My cousins daughter and family are going to be at Yacht Club Wednesday. Their 4th Disney trip since last year.
GAGWTA!!

I checked my CT and Bone scan results on my patient portal and good news! Stable disease and no progression. Bone scan even showed possible decrease in size and intensity of the lesions on my skull. So lots to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. :)
I’m so glad, Zelly! Enjoy your Thanksgiving! Thanks for the update. :grouphug:

Just popping in to wish all those who celebrate a Merry Christmas. Also a Blessed and bright Happy New Year 2022 to all!
Yesterday I got all my blood work done for my pcp and endo visits next month.
Covid is getting really bad around here. Ds3 daily report says 71 patients. Now my cousins dd in NJ has it, one of Dh coworkers, dil’s sister and brother-in-law and our old neighbors. Glad we got our boosters.
Ds1 just got a job offer from a job he really wanted so he is so happy. Ds3 is working around New Years on covid floor most likely.
Wishing you all the best. GAGWTA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter