Direct after Resale ?

Let me clarify, you're wanting DVC for use at Disneyland? Then your best option is to buy Villas at Disneyland Hotel direct. Villas at Grand Californian is available resale only at a significant initial upfront cost (but works out in the long term because of the lower transient tax).

Also, I live in Australia and have two home resorts in Florida so distance is only an impediment psychologically ;) I reckon Portland is rather close.
VGC is actually available direct if you have a guide willing to check for you and you are ready to buy when they call. My guide called me with direct VGC points on Tuesday.

VGC is actually available direct if you have a guide willing to check for you and you are ready to buy when they call. My guide called me with direct VGC points on Tuesday.
You won the VGC lottery there. This happens so infrequently, congrats! I assume they must have acquired them in foreclosure?

This gives me hope! When I added on at VGF today, my guide assured me he has been checking daily if there are VGC points available for me to add on.

You won the VGC lottery there. This happens so infrequently, congrats! I assume they must have acquired them in foreclosure?
I didn’t actually take them, there was some available about 2 weeks ago too, which is when I asked my guide to look. So apparently they do pop up 🤷‍♀️

Newbie question to add to this thread: as a first-time buyer, we expect to visit Disney about once a year, and think we will ultimately want a combination of direct and resale points to net the Direct benefits (including post-2019 resorts) and some Resale savings.

Should we look at Direct first and resale later, or Resale first and direct later?

Before you answer, consider this curveball - our home resort needs to be in California. We live in Portland (which is closer to Russia than it is to Orlando - check your globe!) We will visit WDW eventually (DVC!) but not frequently. We have never been to Florida.
We did resale first and then slowly adding on direct in smaller contracts to reach 150 for membership extras. We bought 100 SSR points for SAP and got a wonderful deal with a great use year. We then added on a 50 point contract at Riveria, where we really wanted to own (I do love SSR too). We saved so much on the initial buy in cost that we were able to have more points overall.

I live in Australia and have two home resorts in Florida so distance is only an impediment psychologically ;) I reckon Portland is rather close.
A fair point! We have found that the two full days transit time to Orlando and back have ruled WDW out of most of our shorter (ahem, American) vacations, and when we manage a longer one, we have gone overseas. We will get to Florida, and use DVC points at whichever resorts we can manage at the seven-month window, but Orlando is probably not handy enough to be our home resort.

Also for four generations our family has grown up with Disneyland, and WDW still seems… fictional? We have no memories there. We will focus on VDH direct, and consider a Florida resale contract if we get the itch for more points later on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter