Direct after Resale ?

I believe to get the "blue card" you need to meet the minimum direct points at the time you are buying.

However, I think you can add less then the minimum direct, since you are a member you just don't get the benefits until you hit the magic direct number.

As the previous posters mentioned you can buy less than 150 direct and add on a little at a time. Once you eventually reach the threshold (currently 150) you will qualify for "Membership Extras" otherwise known as the Blue Card or DVC Y in your mobile wallet. With sales slumping at the moment I don't think they will be rising the minimum anytime soon but that is just my opinion of course.

As the previous posters mentioned you can buy less than 150 direct and add on a little at a time. Once you eventually reach the threshold (currently 150) you will qualify for "Membership Extras" otherwise known as the Blue Card or DVC Y in your mobile wallet. With sales slumping at the moment I don't think they will be rising the minimum anytime soon but that is just my opinion of course.
Some speculation that min might change with VDH too, since its a different beast, having the min at 150 might be a bit much for people to swallow since DL trips are generally much shorter. Could see it dropping to 100 min to buy, and maybe they drop ME to the same level when that happens.

Some speculation that min might change with VDH too, since its a different beast, having the min at 150 might be a bit much for people to swallow since DL trips are generally much shorter. Could see it dropping to 100 min to buy, and maybe they drop ME to the same ley vel when that happens.
interestingly, DVC MS is now queuing the CA resorts separately from the other resorts.
Maybe (complete speculation here) the will start considering them separate?

I can't see DVC lower the limit much at the WDW resorts.
The limit was put in place to curtail resale

Agree with @kilik64 I'd wait for DL pricing to drop. They might change the 150, which is steep for DL.

If DL follows the recent pricing trends, it might even be a good SAP choice at launch.

Last edited:

interestingly, DVC MS is now queuing the CA resorts separately from the other resorts.

I can't see DVC lower the limit much at the WDW resorts.
The limit was put in place to curtail resale
I know this is probably a stupid question but just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. Is this when you call? And if it is when you call could it be because they are selling cash rooms at VDH? I don't remember the last time I called other than buy some OTUP as I usually use chat.

I think this confusing comment is saying that VDL will be a new association. They've already done the local and state timeshare disclosures years ago, and marketed this within DVC. That would be, uh, a tough road.

It's probably even too late for Poly2, as it's been advertised within DVC as well. Though I haven't seen actual disclosure to Florida or anything like that yet.

I agree Disney could set up a DVC2, but there's zero indication that either new property is doing that.

They are "queueing" sales separately because they are selling in CA, which requires different licenses that not all guides have or should have.

Yes, it was a call to member services. On Saturday.

It could also just be easier to route the CA calls to CA cast members, to reduce wait times?

Some speculation that min might change with VDH too, since its a different beast, having the min at 150 might be a bit much for people to swallow since DL trips are generally much shorter. Could see it dropping to 100 min to buy, and maybe they drop ME to the same level when that happens.

Even if the drop the minimum for VDH for new purchases, I doubt that will change the minimum for membership extras.

At one time, the buy in minimum was 100 but membership extras was 125.

I think once your a Member regardless Direct or not , you should be able to buy 50 to 100 points direct.
Most people don't want 150 to start off. Just my option.

Even if the drop the minimum for VDH for new purchases, I doubt that will change the minimum for membership extras.

At one time, the buy in minimum was 100 but membership extras was 125.
Big ole carrot.

Family only needs 100 points and they'll let em buy them as a first time buyer, but then they got that FOMO carrot, just so you know you wont get to attend MM, discounts etc, you SURE you dont wanna another 50 points to get all those extras...?

I think once your a Member regardless Direct or not , you should be able to buy 50 to 100 points direct.
Most people don't want 150 to start off. Just my option.
Yes this is allowed once you are a member and are purchasing in the same use year(s) you already own. You can buy 25 point contracts at most resorts though some of the newer ones requires a member to purchase 50 minimum. However if you own June but wanted to purchase direct for December you would be considered a new member as the membership # is different and would forced to buy the minimum which is currently 150.

Of course you can only be a member by buying the minimum required direct or by buying a resale contract first and getting your membership number.

Big ole carrot.

Family only needs 100 points and they'll let em buy them as a first time buyer, but then they got that FOMO carrot, just so you know you wont get to attend MM, discounts etc, you SURE you dont wanna another 50 points to get all those extras...?
That is a good question but I like lettuce over carrots so I would probably stay at 100! :)

I have Resale points under 150 pts. But to buy direct and get the benefits do I still have to buy 150 pts?. TIA 😊
Once you are a member resale or direct, the minimum direct purchase is either 25 or 50 points depending on the resort. You can buy 50 points direct at a time to eventually get to the blue card minimum if you want

Newbie question to add to this thread: as a first-time buyer, we expect to visit Disney about once a year, and think we will ultimately want a combination of direct and resale points to net the Direct benefits (including post-2019 resorts) and some Resale savings.

Should we look at Direct first and resale later, or Resale first and direct later?

Before you answer, consider this curveball - our home resort needs to be in California. We live in Portland (which is closer to Russia than it is to Orlando - check your globe!) We will visit WDW eventually (DVC!) but not frequently. We have never been to Florida.

Should we look at Direct first and resale later, or Resale first and direct later?
As someone who was direct first and resale after, I would recommend doing resale first if you find a good contract with your desired home resort and use year. I feel like direct offers better incentives for existing members (especially when new resorts come online) that you would have access to as a resale owner. You may also get less push back during direct sales about use years if you say it's to match your existing (resale) contracts' use years.

Edit: If you are only looking at Californian home resorts, this will be harder to do with few VGC resale contracts available and VDH being so new you won't see resale contracts for a while. If that's the requirement I'd probably look at VDH direct now unless you have a strong preference for VGC. Familiarize yourself with the resale restrictions if you are considering that route for either of the Californian DVC resorts - resale VDH can't be used at VGC and vice versa. Direct points can be used at both.

Last edited:
Newbie question to add to this thread: as a first-time buyer, we expect to visit Disney about once a year, and think we will ultimately want a combination of direct and resale points to net the Direct benefits (including post-2019 resorts) and some Resale savings.

Before you answer, consider this curveball - our home resort needs to be in California. We live in Portland (which is closer to Russia than it is to Orlando - check your globe!) We will visit WDW eventually (DVC!) but not frequently. We have never been to Florida.
Let me clarify, you're wanting DVC for use at Disneyland? Then your best option is to buy Villas at Disneyland Hotel direct. Villas at Grand Californian is available resale only at a significant initial upfront cost (but works out in the long term because of the lower transient tax).

Also, I live in Australia and have two home resorts in Florida so distance is only an impediment psychologically ;) I reckon Portland is rather close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter