Dining Show

Or as more restuarnts move to a electronic menu where you get an iPad instead of paper menu they could have the info there ... and allow for more info describing the item.

I've never encountered that. What a waste of money. Having to have a whole slew of iPads, which aren't cheap, and are probably getting dropped or having drinks spilled on them all the time.
They do this at Bull & Bear (at the Waldorf Astoria in Bonnet Creek) and its a very interesting use of the technology. You not only get to browse the menu, but you can tap on an individual item to see a picture and get more info. The device contains everything from appetizer, main course, deserts, wine and cocktails. The use the device in both the restaurant itself and in the nearby Peacock Lounge.

They do this at Bull & Bear (at the Waldorf Astoria in Bonnet Creek) and its a very interesting use of the technology. You not only get to browse the menu, but you can tap on an individual item to see a picture and get more info. The device contains everything from appetizer, main course, deserts, wine and cocktails. The use the device in both the restaurant itself and in the nearby Peacock Lounge.
That sounds great. It would be a waste just to have the printed menu in electronic form but if they use it to give an expanded view that you can't get with a paper menu that's great. I love when restaurants include nutritional info but that's far easier to do electronically than on paper.

I can see the novelty and it makes it easier to update things but it's certainly way cheaper to print paper menus.
Not to mention it's horrendous for the environment to be printing paper menus all the time.

Guess the idea is they last longer (ca printing new menus all the time if you have a menu that changes a lot) and can constantly be updated and can help you reference things. I know when I have seen them it has usually been at restaurants with large wine menus and it helped tell you about the wines and give you suggestions based one what you were thinking of having for dinner, etc.
The longevity is the key here.
Less paper wastage, much easier to update the menu (eg. what if they sell out of sirloin that night? just update the apps to remove it) and as you've said, can give much more insight to the menu and ingredients.

I believe my last trip to the US, we had tablet style menus and entertainment (for the kids presumably) at Appleby's.
I know it's not a highbrow eatery, but still, it was a good use of tech.

Between the Wave, Marrakesh and Jaleo recently, I don't even know why they allow Youtube comments anymore. It's devolved into people commenting on the cast rather than the content.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts