Dining Show

In response to the most recent dining show at The Wave: I completely agree with Pete that it should be made known when food items have alcohol in them. A year into my sobriety I ate a grape that had been soaked in alcohol (unaware and not indicated) and I was so disheartened by it. Sobriety is a lifelong battle and that consumed grape bothered me for a very long time. I felt very violated. It was therapeutic to hear Pete talk about the incident. The dining show is by far my favorite so please keep making them.

Yeah I think Pete’s reaction was 100% appropriate. I don’t know if consuming any alcohol, even a scarce amount, could trigger a possible relapse... but could you imagine that happening at a dinner at Disney World?? Like Pete said... it’s the last place you would expect it.

All that being said the fact that Pete raved about The Wave so much is making me think I might need to stop by in May. Those bacon and eggs look and sound fantastic!

Yeah I think Pete’s reaction was 100% appropriate. I don’t know if consuming any alcohol, even a scarce amount, could trigger a possible relapse... but could you imagine that happening at a dinner at Disney World?? Like Pete said... it’s the last place you would expect it.

All that being said the fact that Pete raved about The Wave so much is making me think I might need to stop by in May. Those bacon and eggs look and sound fantastic!

I also made a dinner reservation at The Wave for our upcoming September trip! I will make sure to NOT order the "relapse sorbet" (I think that's what it is being called now) My food relapse took like a year to get over! ...:yo-yo: :rolleyes1 I would have been angry and sad if it happened at Disney World (and talked about it all day). Pete handled it really well!
On a lighter note, bacon and eggs are definately happening in September!!!! :cool1:

I also agree with Pete and I think someone else mentioned cheese in the salad that you wouldn't think would be there. Hmmm. It is really important to know what is in the food anyways especially if you are allergic to alcohol or another item like cheese. I wouldn't mention an alcohol allergy because I don't drink but I also react to alcohol on the skin. (yep lab draws are no fun. I get to use iodine. )

In response to the most recent dining show at The Wave: I completely agree with Pete that it should be made known when food items have alcohol in them. A year into my sobriety I ate a grape that had been soaked in alcohol (unaware and not indicated) and I was so disheartened by it. Sobriety is a lifelong battle and that consumed grape bothered me for a very long time. I felt very violated. It was therapeutic to hear Pete talk about the incident. The dining show is by far my favorite so please keep making them.

I’ll be honest - I was really surprised by Pete’s reaction that I have read here and elsewhere. The sorbets has the name of the alcohol in the flavor name - I am not sure what else the restaurant could/should have done. Would you expect it if a restaurant has Chicken Marsala on the menu to make special note that alcohol was used or does the fact it has “Marsala” in the name make it clear enough that Marsala wine was used?

And if you don’t know what a word/name is, isn’t that up to you to ask? My father was a recovering alcoholic for over 50 years and my wife doesn’t eat beef or pork and they always ask(ed) what something is if they don’t know what it is

I think the fact that one dish had cheese on it an made not mention of that fact is a much bigger deal... this dessert had it right up front in the flavor name what was in it

I’ll be honest - I was really surprised by Pete’s reaction that I have read here and elsewhere. The sorbets has the name of the alcohol in the flavor name - I am not sure what else the restaurant could/should have done.
I agree. Pete had already talked about how good the red wine sauce on the steak was. It made no sense for him to then blast the place for serving moscato sorbet. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't know moscato was a type of wine, but that's not the restaurant's fault. I doubt the menu pointed out that the red wine sauce was made with alcohol. No need for them to point out that the moscato sorbet is made with alcohol either.

Now the cheese on the salad is a much bigger issue in my mind. That should absolutely be in the menu description.

I agree. Pete had already talked about how good the red wine sauce on the steak was. It made no sense for him to then blast the place for serving moscato sorbet. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't know moscato was a type of wine, but that's not the restaurant's fault. I doubt the menu pointed out that the red wine sauce was made with alcohol. No need for them to point out that the moscato sorbet is made with alcohol either.

Now the cheese on the salad is a much bigger issue in my mind. That should absolutely be in the menu description.

I haven't yet seen the show myself, as we have been on vacation, but in Pete's defense you would expect a red wine sauce to have been cooked down and the alcohol itself will be removed during that process. If a frozen dessert is made using wine, then it's highly likely that it was never heated, and thus has an alcohol content left in the final product.

But also yes, it should have been clear from the description since it has the word 'Moscato' in it.

Well I guess I am a moron because I didn't know moscato or masala implied there is wine in it! But I also rarely drink. This feels like a chicken and an egg problem, you have to drink wine to know those are both types of wine. And if you drink wine, you probably are less concerned about wine on your plate.

I agreed with Pete. While it wouldn't bother me, many people elect not to drink alcohol for a multitude of reasons. Some people who do not drink, consider alcohol used during cooking okay and others do not. It seems like a simple thing that could be done with a small notation on the menu, so why not?

Last edited:
It seems like a simple thing that could be done with a small notation on the menu, so why not?
Here's the problem. Where do you draw the line? There are so many dietary issues people have either by legitimate medical need or by personal choice: gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, alcohol, etc.

My wife and daughter both have food allergies and DD is a vegetarian. When we go out to eat, we alert our server and ask questions. Do you fry your shrimp in the same oil as your fries? Is that sauce meat-based? Do the tropical juices in that drink contain pineapple?

Pete admitted he let his guard down. He just wasn't paying attention to his own restrictions. It happens. We've done it too. We didn't blame the restaurant. And in this case, it wasn't even hidden. It was right there in the name of the item.

I haven't yet seen the show myself, as we have been on vacation, but in Pete's defense you would expect a red wine sauce to have been cooked down and the alcohol itself will be removed during that process. If a frozen dessert is made using wine, then it's highly likely that it was never heated, and thus has an alcohol content left in the final product.

But also yes, it should have been clear from the description since it has the word 'Moscato' in it.

In the video Pete mentions that the server said that the alcohol in the dessert is cooked down first so much of the alcohol is removed. Not sure if it is to the same extent as for the savory dishes, but the did say it was impacted by cooking ... perhaps that is why they felt it wasn't necessary since it removed enough of it that it was below any minimum level that would require them to mention it or prevent children from having it, etc.

And in this case, it wasn't even hidden. It was right there in the name of the item.
I generally agree we shouldn’t go too bananas on menus with warnings and people just need to ask questions but ice cream seems a bit unusual to find it in.
I do dispute it was clearly listed.
Moscato is a type of wine (apparently), I am not familiar with it and I am suggesting others who don’t drink for religious reasons or whatever wouldn’t know that by reading that on a menu. As a rare drinker, I can maybe list 5-6 types of wine off-hand but that’s it. A notation of “alcohol” would be more clear without requiring you to be an oenophile.
Would I be upset? No. But I understood what Pete was saying. I thought he was more just passing the information on and it was only a small part of his review. He still gave it a good score overall.

I generally agree we shouldn’t go too bananas on menus with warnings and people just need to ask questions but ice cream seems a bit unusual to find it in.
I do dispute it was clearly listed.
Moscato is a type of wine (apparently), I am not familiar with it and I am suggesting others who don’t drink for religious reasons or whatever wouldn’t know that by reading that on a menu. As a rare drinker, I can maybe list 5-6 types of wine off-hand but that’s it. A notation of “alcohol” would be more clear without requiring you to be an oenophile.
Would I be upset? No. But I understood what Pete was saying. I thought he was more just passing the information on and it was only a small part of his review. He still gave it a good score overall.

Obviously hard to know what others would know - what seems very obvious to one person may not be to others.

I do think it is fairly common for desserts to have alcohol - be ice gelatos like this (I see champagn sorbets a lot as another example) or things like tiramisu or anything with bananas foster will likely have alcohol

So perhaps the restaurant could have a note - particularly if it is something like "the flavor of today has alcohol" or something where it isn't a typical offerings.

And also just a reminder to everyone that has any dietary restriction to speak up and mention it to your server at the beginning of the meal, etc, so they can make it clear when something contains an item that could potentially be an issue

and to especially speak up if you see a name that you don't recognize in a menu listing

especially speak up if you see a name that you don't recognize in a menu listing
True. If I saw that the dessert was moscato sorbet and I had no idea what moscato was, I'd be Googling it on my phone or asking my server, especially if I have dietary restrictions. I've done that plenty of times when there was something I didn't recognize.

I actually would love if restaurants would have complete ingredients lists readily available for all menu items, as well as nutrition information. And it doesn't even need to be on the menu which would be unwieldy. Nearly everyone has a smart phone. Put a QR code next to each item that I can scan and pull up the info instantly.

Many valid points above. I thought the sorbet had alcohol in it that didn't go through the cooking process. Maybe if a food item contains alcohol that can get you drunk "tipsy" whatever you want to call it then it should indicate that on the menu (it is illegal under 21 and a mind-altering drug).
Interesting to find out that some alcohol remains even after being "cooked out" though....
I think zebra domes have a notification on them? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't there always notification about consuming raw or undercooked fish at sushi places? So something similar to that. If it contains alcohol then it's not necessarly a dietary restriction/allergy concern, but something that directly affects brain chemistry on everyone.

This post is becoming :offtopic:. I don't think I can go any deeper. lol.

I actually would love if restaurants would have complete ingredients lists readily available for all menu items, as well as nutrition information. And it doesn't even need to be on the menu which would be unwieldy. Nearly everyone has a smart phone. Put a QR code next to each item that I can scan and pull up the info instantly.

Or as more restuarnts move to a electronic menu where you get an iPad instead of paper menu they could have the info there ... and allow for more info describing the item. I know with my wife who doesn't eat beef or pork sometimes it will list some type of cured meat that we have to ask about - this way they could list the item and also a description of what the source is, how it is made, etc.

Many valid points above. I thought the sorbet had alcohol in it that didn't go through the cooking process. Maybe if a food item contains alcohol that can get you drunk "tipsy" whatever you want to call it then it should indicate that on the menu (it is illegal under 21 and a mind-altering drug).
Interesting to find out that some alcohol remains even after being "cooked out" though....
I think zebra domes have a notification on them? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't there always notification about consuming raw or undercooked fish at sushi places? So something similar to that. If it contains alcohol then it's not necessarly a dietary restriction/allergy concern, but something that directly affects brain chemistry on everyone.

This post is becoming :offtopic:. I don't think I can go any deeper. lol.

Just checked google images, and the prepackaged zerbra domes have an ingredient listing that does mention there is alcohol in there. No like special message or anything, just included with the rest of the ingredients like flour and butter

I tried to find an image of them on the buffet at Boma and couldn't find any that showed any sort of label, so I don't know if they make any mention there

as more restuarnts move to a electronic menu where you get an iPad instead of paper menu
I've never encountered that. What a waste of money. Having to have a whole slew of iPads, which aren't cheap, and are probably getting dropped or having drinks spilled on them all the time. I can see the novelty and it makes it easier to update things but it's certainly way cheaper to print paper menus.

I've never encountered that. What a waste of money. Having to have a whole slew of iPads, which aren't cheap, and are probably getting dropped or having drinks spilled on them all the time. I can see the novelty and it makes it easier to update things but it's certainly way cheaper to print paper menus.

Guess the idea is they last longer (ca printing new menus all the time if you have a menu that changes a lot) and can constantly be updated and can help you reference things. I know when I have seen them it has usually been at restaurants with large wine menus and it helped tell you about the wines and give you suggestions based one what you were thinking of having for dinner, etc.

when I have seen them it has usually been at restaurants with large wine menus
That makes sense as the wine inventory can change regularly and you typically only need one wine list per table. It seems a bit much for the regular menu where you need one per person and except for daily specials, the menu is usually the same for an extended period. Even if it changes seasonally, that's still only every 3 months or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!