Dining Reviews - But Brenda Snagged My Catchy Title, Post #58 (Like A Phoenix)

REVIEW: Flying Fish
Theresa went over the specials of the day, and sure enough, the kid’s menu fish of the day was snapper. Not a bad choice by any means, but it just wasn’t the salmon. There was no melt down or fit thrown, but the obvious disappointment permeated the table. When Theresa asked about it, we explained that the salmon from last year was all that she had talked about this trip (which food-wise was true), so it would take us few minutes to decide on something else. Theresa scurried off, giving us our time to cover the other items. Within a minute, she came back out with a big smile on her face. She had talked to the chef, and as he wasn’t too busy at the moment, he would make a kid’s menu portion for salmon for us. To see a 5 year old glowing with an astonished smile on her face, which moments before was a face of total disappointment, was just magical. First of all, Theresa didn’t have to even make the inquiry. And then, the chef certainly didn’t have to take the time to prepare a kids menu portion of salmon. But they did, and it really made our night. As silly as it may seem, of all the magical moments we had this trip, this was probably the best one of the bunch. Pixie dust all around.

What a wonderful server, for her to even notice or care that there was obvious disappointment is a credit to her. She sounds like a woman who really cares about taking care of her customers. You should write a letter about the server and chef, I'm sure your little one would love to help, since this experience really made her trip.

REVIEW: Wolfgang Puck Cafe

SUMMARY: Loud, loud, loud, and more loud. Decent enough food though.

This was a mid-week dinner ADR for a party of 5 (3 adults, 2 children) at the somewhat early hour of 6:00 p.m. On my first attempt at a schedule for this trip, this was a night ‘in’. As always, plans changed in the weeks leading up to this trip, so we were now going to try to go out tonight, after dinner. I tried to talk the group out of eating here, opting for something closer to the hotel, and ideally avoiding the WDW bus system (DISCLAIMER: I think the bus system works fine, but we have the worst luck when using it for getting to/from DTD. If we’re ridiculously early going somewhere, a bus is waiting right there, and we arrive way too early. If we are right on time getting to the bus stop, another DTD bus won’t come along for 30 minutes or more, guaranteed.)
Nope, our group wanted to eat at WPC, wanting to try Wolfgang’s food. Are you sure?? Yes, we’re sure!! Failing to persuade them to change locations, I attempted to change the ADR time, to anything earlier in the evening, but there was nothing available. I decided to just show up a little early, to see if we could get started sooner than our 6:00 p.m. ADR.

We hopped a DTD bus from our resort just after 4:00 p.m. (as we were early which of course triggers the bus to be right there waiting for us to walk on). We browsed our way from Marketplace to the WPC locale, arriving at the ‘energetic’ podium at 5:40 p.m. Gave them our name, and one person checked us off the list, and after a brief group confab, they dispatched another host to see if a certain table was ready. A little confusing, as 2 of the 3 hosts working there immediately scattered doing other things, and the remaining ‘lead’ host didn’t address us anymore, or the 2 groups of people coming in behind us. We stood right there, blocking the podium like morons, because nobody told us to move anywhere else. But hey, at least we didn't get a pager this time. The dispatched scout host soon came back, and took us to our table, in the middle of the restaurant, where it opens out toward the lake. We were seated at one of the smallest possible tables (for 5 or 6) that I have seen. It was a push together of a small-ish two and a ridiculously small-ish four-person table, and they didn’t quite line up evenly. Odd, but not worth going back to the podium over. We were early, but we were seated, so we just went with it. This table ended up being rectangular, but due to the noise level, I don’t think any table shape could have helped with conversation. See note below:

Note: Upon arrival here, opening the door to the restaurant, we were overcome by a rush of noise so loud that it made league night at a bowling alley seem like a moment of silence. Seriously, this may have been the loudest restaurant ever, even eclipsing the great Bongos disaster meal of 2003. It was deafening. I really thought at first they had a band playing inside, but apparently it was just part of the ambiance of this packed and busy restaurant. Still, it was an overwhelming amount of noise. More on that later.

Our server was a polite young man, whose name eludes me. I didn’t get the receipt on this meal, so I apologize for not having his name. It may be a good thing though, because while he was very polite, he wasn’t overly versed with the menu items, and his service style was leaning much towards ‘hovering’. Once he understood what we were asking, 'repeated as needed' due to the high noise level, our menu questions sent him scurrying away for answers at least 3 times, and that was before we ordered. I do give him an A- for effort though. (In fairness, part of the communication issues and many menu questions might be attributed to the incredibly loud noise level in the place, and more so around our table. Children old enough to know better, observed at a large table 10-12 feet away, were busily banging silverware together, while 2 sets of parents just looked around. Their parents didn’t even try to control the banging, or wrangle the other child crawling on the floor (ewww!!) under the table, even when the adults were not engaging in conversation amongst themselves.)

As I was sitting at our table, myself looking around cluelessly, my mind wandered into the land of Examples of bad noise related miscommunication (warning: may not have happened):

‘Does the root beer have caffeine in it’ becomes ‘does your good ear have Visine in it’

‘No onion rings’ is heard as ‘No undone things’

My request for ‘diet soda’ sends the server across the street to Magnetronz, looking for a ‘light-up Yoda’. (“Mmmmm, thirsty you are”.)

Folks, it was that crazy loud!! Back to the review.

The breadbasket delivered to our table was white and orange. Or should I say, the bread was white and orange. A standard white focaccia bread was deliciously slick and oily, but the orange bread was the real mystery. After our girls devoured the known bread (white), I was coerced into sampling the mystery bread (the orange). It wasn’t bad, but paled in comparison to the white focaccia bread. Later, our server told us it was focaccia too, but a new sun-dried tomato flavor. It was okay, but not a big hit with our group. Funny note: On our way out, I happened to look around at some of the other tables, and almost every bread basket I saw looked like it was full of pumpkins, which I believe was the orange focaccia not being eaten by other diners as well.

We all split an appetizer of Barbecue Chicken Quesadilla. While I don’t like the swirled sauce presentation (sauce being already applied to most items is my definition of food dictatorship), the flavor of the quesadilla itself was excellent. Nice size chunks of chicken, plenty of cheese. A nice appetizer for the table to share, or even as a meal (for one) all by itself.

For meals, the girls ordered a cheese pizza and a tic tac toe pizza (that’s pepperoni to you and me) from the child’s menu. Safe enough, and decent little pizzas for the price.

These child menu meals arrived first, and their plates, the breadbasket, and appetizer plates took up almost the entire table. This was going to be an interesting meal, logistically speaking, when the rest of the food arrived. Our server did not attempt to clear the now empty appetizer platter, or smaller plates. If he were going to hover over us like Arnie Pie in the Channel 6 News Copter, I would expect him to clear some plates in the process.

As expected, when the runners brought the entrees out, there was no place to put them. Our server was hovering nearby (monitoring a traffic jam on I-4 maybe), and finally cleared the appetizer related plates, but made just enough room for the 3 adult entrees, though mine was dangerously close to the end of the table, even hanging over a bit.

The adult entrée choices were:

A salad of some sort, Chicken Caesar maybe. It was fine, but this menu was too extensive to be ordering a salad. It was nicely presented, with fresh lettuce. It was okay, but still, I didn’t understand the choice, with such a variety of items on the menu.

Pepperoni pizza. Yes, another adventurous order of ….. pepperoni pizza. Geez people, order something we can’t get at Little Caesar’s or Dominos. Anyway, this pizza was disappointing, not for the flavor, but for the size. Even after asking our server beforehand about the size of the pizza, which he said was plenty large, it was barely bigger than the child’s menu pizzas that came out. Not a great value, especially in comparison to the child’s menu pizza size.

Roasted Whole Chicken – This was a lot of food for the money. A nice roasted chicken, slightly dry from standing for so long after cooking, but with a good flavor, especially the outside. The garlic mashed potatoes weren’t overpoweringly so, and quite nice, though the texture reminded me of an instant potato mix. If they were real potatoes cooked on site, they were whipped by a team of Roman chariot drivers, until they were just paste. The chicken was good, but the legs were tough, and some other parts were just dry. This is somewhat expected when you have to cook things ahead, and let them stand for unknown periods of time before serving. I ate maybe 1/2 of this, and was completely full. For the price, it was a good value on this menu.

We skipped dessert, in an effort to save time. I don’t have a total on this meal, because I didn’t pick this one up. But, I did learn that WPC does NOT take the DDE card, as of our visit. And the AP discount for dinner was only 10%.

Summary: Tough call. Loud restaurant, from start to finish. Could be the acoustics. Dinner conversation very difficult, as was server communication. Some food good (child’s menu pizzas), some weird (orange focaccia bread). Nothing really bad, but nothing mind blowing either. This was our third time eating here. First trip, I thought it was crowded, loud, and hectic. Second trip it was less busy, and a great experience. This third trip more resembled the first one. In fairness to WPC, I was also disappointed in our group, and their menu choices. They just ‘had’ to eat at WPC, and we had a menu in the room to review beforehand. But when we got there, they played it safe with pizza and salad, which we could have gotten cheaper, and with less bus traveling. Sigh.
I am not writing WPC off the list (like I have done with Bongos and both WPE (express) locations). But, it definitely won’t be on the list for the next few trips. If I want loud atmosphere and small crowded tables, I’ll go to Planet Hollywood, where I can watch the cheesy movie clips while we eat.

And, Gentle Readers, that is a bad sign, when I mention Planet Hollywood …….

This recent WPC experience also makes me ask: If the Café is this loud, do I really want to risk a more upscale (and expensive) meal at Wolfgang Puck “Dining Room” Upstairs??

NEXT UP: Bonus coverage, House of Blues

My request for ‘diet soda’ sends the server across the street to Magnetronz, looking for a ‘light-up Yoda’. (“Mmmmm, thirsty you are”.)

:lmao: :rotfl: HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!! :rotfl: :lmao:
I can just hear that, in a little Yoda-voice! Goodness, tooo funny!

Great reviews, I am enjoying them. And for the record, I have the same problems with buses to DTD. If I was waiting for a bus to go ANYWHERE else, about 6 DTD buses would show up before the bus I was waiting for. If, however, I actually wanted to go to DTD, it would take an insanely long wait time to see even 1 bus.

Oh no! we have an ADR at Planet Hollywood in April - how bad is it :rotfl2:

I totally get what you are saying about the noise level at WPC. As it happens, when we ate there in August we had a table outside but when I went in to use the rest room, the noise damn near deafened me :headache:

I did really enjoy my meal, though, and thought it was very reasonable.

We didn't even attempt taking a bus to DTD, but drove ourselves. We did enjoy WPC Express--I had the 1/2 chicken and mashed potatoes, but they were very yummy, juicy chicken and homemade tasting potatoes! I didn't care for the creme brulee, but what do you expect at CS? Loving your reviews so keep them coming!

Everyone - I have now completed the 7 reviews I had originally promised. But, I have found that I have enough notes to add one more, for House of Blues. It won't be the tops in food details, but the trip getting there was an adventure in itself. The working title is "Homer's Odyssey".

That's the good news (depending on your point of view). The bad news (again, depending on your point of view) is that my laptop has gone twitchy on me, and I won't be able to post that report until Monday at the earliest, unless an early Festivus Miracle happens and I get the laptop fixed over this coming Holiday weekend.

That's my update. Happy Holidays to all.

Great reviews, I really enjoyed reading them. Very entertaining! :)

REVIEW: House of Blues (aka HOB)

SUMMARY: Homer’s Odyssey

This was a Monday dinner ADR for a party of 7 (5 adults, 2 children) at 6:30 p.m. Later in the night my wife and I were heading to Jellyrolls, so we didn’t need any delays from the 6:30 ADR. I kept this ADR, because once again, there was nothing else available for a party of 7 before 8:00 p.m. I have determined, in my mind at least, that October has become a busy time of the year. Every single ADR I tried to move, 3-4 weeks before the trip, couldn’t be done. I expected such problems with the larger traveling party (7), but not when the group trimmed down to the smaller party (5).

Homer’s Odyssey (A Simpson-esque tale of travel travails):
Alas and alack – with changes to the DDE program, and program availability soon offered at park ticket windows, a tale such as mine may never be told again. It’s an epic tale, of getting from here to yon. Food review comes afterward. So “Fairly warned, be thee, says I”.

My elongated journey to HOB began at 4:00 p.m. on Monday afternoon. After a soggy morning at AK, we headed back to the room at BC, after experiencing a late lunch at RFC (AK). Just to dry off, change clothes, and mostly catch our breath after hurriedly touring the AK park in the middle of a seasonal soaking storm. I had already ordered our DDE cards that a.m. before we ventured out, and needed to pick them up at guest services outside the EPCOT front gates, any time after 5:30 p.m.

POINT OF INFORMATION:
I had to pick up the DDE card today, because I needed it for the Cape May breakfast discount tomorrow morning for our early ADR. No way to get the card in time otherwise, and I wasn’t about to miss out on that 20% discount. I enjoy the capering of Goofy, Minnie, Chip and Dale, but not so much when paying full price. If this sounds strange to you, here’s another window into my madness: I am always ecstatic when our local grocery store has its triple coupon promo weekends. I enjoy saving money whenever I can, and I relish the challenge of getting products for free during the triple coupon promotions. “It’s my Graceland”.

I, going solo (as most tragic literary characters seem to travel), left the cozy confines of the hotel at 4:00 p.m. The plan was for me to head through the back door (IG) into EPCOT, sample a few food booths while ambling toward the big golf ball, and be out front of EPCOT to pick up the temp DDE cards at 5:30 on the dot, maybe a minute or two before (hah, hah, hah….fat chance). From that point, outside the front of EPCOT, and at no earlier than the 5:30 p.m. pick up time, I had to get to HOB before our 6:30 ADR. As most of you know, that EPCOT walk from front to back can take quite awhile. If I attempted that route, some of our group could then just take the bus together, to DTD, and meet up with the rest of our party. But, the DTD bus from the EPCOT area resorts is so unpredictable, and our luck with the DTD bus so very very bad when we are pressed for time, that we calculated almost no way to be on time for the 6:30 ADR. So, the modification of the plan became for my wife to drive the girls over early, and have a few minutes to browse some stores. This removed any reason for me to backtrack through EPCOT to BC or BW, just to try to catch a mystery bus, that may or may not be appearing at an unknown time. I decided, in my naïve wisdom, that I would do a fair sight better to walk out to the bus stops at EPCOT, catch a bus to Saratoga Springs, then walk to DTD. I could then catch a boat if one was standing ready, or hoof it otherwise. Surely that would be the most practical way to go????

As I entered through the IG, the sky was looking awfully dark, back in the East, and the wind was bringing it all this way. I stopped to quickly ‘poncho up’, donning the familiar yellow look of a tourist wearing last year’s rain gear fashions. And as predicted, the bottom fell out just as I got to the fish and chips stand at England. And people, I do mean the bottom fell out. A hammering rain, which lasted only a few minutes, cleared the walkways, except for myself and a small handful of other determined poncho wearing ‘raincoat rangers’ who trudged along. It rained so hard that I got soaked, not through the poncho, but from the splash up from the ground. Tennis shoes, socks, and bottom half of my shorts, were drenched from just the rebound splashes off the pavement. The poncho served me well, against the gravity propelled water deluge, but like the Death Star, it had a weakness, and that rebounding water soaked me good.

With the rain now lightly falling, and being thoroughly soaked on my lower half, I decided against visiting any booths, and instead made my way steadily through EPCOT, and to the F&WF Event Center, in the old Wonders of Life Pavillion. I got under the front awning, de-ponchoed, hastily wrung the water out of the bottom half of my clothing, and went inside to look around and spend a half hour or so drying off. The rain had scared off the crowds, so I could have walked straight into a wine seminar, which was less than half empty. But no, I was a man on a mission, and would not be deterred or distracted by the offer of free wine and expert knowledge that would forever further to enhance my wine drinking experiences. I browsed the non-wine gift shop section, then the wine section, and barely used up 15 minutes. Now less wet than before, but with cotton–creeping moisture slowly invading any remaining dry sections of clothing, I re-ponchoed, and headed for the front of the park, stopping only once to look over some pins in the pin center store. NOTE: The only thing I actually accomplished at the Festival Center was to locate the 2007 cookbook. I didn’t acquire it at the time, because I didn’t want to get it wet, or tote it along on my coming travels to strange new lands. Usually, I wait until the end of a F&WF trip to buy the cookbook, in case I don’t need the recipes. Never works out that way, and I always end up scrambling to find one right before we leave. This time was no different, but at least I knew the exact location where to find it later.

I exited EPCOT at a ‘ludicrously oversized novelty’ Mickey glove, manned by an all too perky (and dry) cast member. Heading left, I was at guest services or guest relations or whatever it is called, but I was too early, as it was only 5:10 p.m. Rob’s Rule – if I am late, I will be delayed by all the forces of nature that are presently available to slow me down and further delay my arrival. If I am ridiculously early, cosmic forces whisk me along at light speed, increasing my ‘earliosity’ factor by ten-fold, and I end up having to wait around and kill time. Following the norm for this Rule, there was no line to wait in at the window, and the cards weren’t there yet. The nice CM says it will be 5:30 on the dot, as they are almost never there any earlier. I sat down near the first ticket booth area, made a quick phone call, and people watched. And once again this trip, I terribly missed not having my camera. But that’s another story for another time, maybe in the FAQ section at the end of my reviews, if one eventually exists. If I had my camera, I would have taken pictures of:

Several guests coming from the bus stops skipping the bag check and security search, and not through the No Bags entrance either. Just slipping through, within easy view of the security guard.

Guests coming off the monorail, missing the numerous signs directing them into EPCOT, and wandering over toward the bus stops area, only to come back by a minute later.

The ECV zipping by my observation perch, faster than I can run, I would estimate going more than 10 mph, then trying to make a 90 degree right turn toward the bus stops, and almost tipping over.

And my personal favorite – the guy smoking at the tree planters, less than 12 feet away and upwind from, a security guard standing there, as you head toward the bus walkway.

Note: NO SMOKING BAN ENFORCEMENT that I saw, anywhere, in any park, outside any park, at a bus stop, or at a resort, all week long. Booooooooooo!!!!!

Anywho, I went back up to the window at 5:28 p.m., and lo and behold, our envelopes were there. Hooray!! I grabbed ours, checked the contents, and headed for the bus stop that should transport me to Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR). Only, there is no bus yet. I was the 4th person in line, but in a moment of panic, realized that I had no idea how many bus stops there are at this resort, or at what stop to best exit the bus. So, I did what any normal person would do, I eavesdropped on the people in front of me, conversing about the resort. Gaining no useful info, I decided I am too far into this journey to bail now, so I will have to ride it out. A bus rolled up 16 minutes later, after 2 Wilderness Lodge busses, 2 All-Star busses, and 2 Animal Kingdom Lodge busses each have come through. Our merry party of 4 had grown to 25 or more, in those last 16 minutes. After boarding, we took a fairly quick trip to SSR.
Doing my best Goldilocks impression, I tried to gauge my exit strategy for the stops. Stop # 1 was too far away, Stop # 2 was tucked in the middle of nowhere. But Stop # 3 (after the fact, I think there are 4 stops here) was ‘just right’. Why, you may ask? Because there was a DTD bus loading there, when we pulled up. I got off this bus, and walk straight onto that bus, like something from a Dr. Seuss cartoon. A couple who had been riding along the whole time, they do the same thing. I found out they were doing the same thing I was, taking this SSR bus from EPCOT, to get to DTD. Within 4 minutes, I was off of this new bus and walking toward RFC, to check the boat docks. A quick time check showed it to be 6:18. Time was growing short, so I somehow resisted the call of the Sirens (in my case, that means I didn’t stop for the parrot demo that takes place outside the RFC entrance), to continue my journey.
I had to now get from Marketplace to HOB in less than 12 minutes. I walked up to the dock, and a boat was magically sitting there, going to the West Side next. (I have much better luck with boats than busses, in general). I hopped on this nearly empty boat, and waited to leave, and waited, and waited, and waited. Seems this ferry boat was holding at this dock until the other boat left the West Side dock, which keeps them more evenly spaced. After 5 minutes of waiting, we were off, for a quick 5 minute ride to the West Side dock at HOB.
As we neared the dock, I felt much like bold Ulysses, standing on the helm, wind in his face, seeing Ithica approaching on the horizon. In my case, it was me, sitting in Row 4, Seat 3, on a floating metal platform that was propelled forward by loud diesel engines from a World War II surplus sale. But, I did have the wind in my face, so some of the comparison was valid. As I was walking off the boat, my phone rang, and it was my party asking where I was at. The time was 6:29, and they are having drinks out front, listening to the band. I walked up at 6:30, and headed to the check-in podium. Homer’s Odyssey complete, I had arrived in Ithica. Mission Accomplished.

END ROAD TRIP REPORT:
BEGIN FOOD TRIP REPORT:

My traveling adventures by foot, bus, and boat now concluded, I set about the business at hand, checking in for our ADR. As I walked up to the porch, I could see the dreaded sign on the door. The entire main dining room was rented out to, I believe, the Archer Company. Well, nobody called me to cancel, so here we are. I checked in, host #1 sent host #2 to see if table was ready, while host # 3 did podium things. Sure enough, we were soon taken to our table, which was in reality 3 tables pushed together, inside the left wing area of the building. This gave us plenty of elbow room, for once, but left little walkway room for diners and servers to get around behind us. We were in the center median of that left wing traffic flow. Could have been worse, but we were seated, and we weren’t the ones having to turn sideways, and walk around our chairs, to get from point A to point B.

Our server was, I believe, Christy (or Christen), and she was great. Knew the menu, answered questions, kept things moving without being pushy. Great service style.
The adults ordered beverages, and also the ‘distractionary’ kids meals, to start with. Nobody was exactly famished after the late lunch at RFC (AK), but we ordered entrees anyway. The girls both ordered kids’ pizza. It was fine, but I didn’t find it as overly flavorful as the appetizer pizzas they offer on the adult menu. Still, no complaints from the girls. For dessert, they both wanted the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. I don’t know how fresh baked they were, but each order came with 3 cookies, and they were very tasty when eaten as leftovers the next day.

The adult food choices were:

Traditional Caesar Salad (with grilled chicken) - It was salad. It was okay. Chicken was tasty, and grilled, which is usually a good combination.

Grilled Flatiron Steak Salad – looked good, and received a thumbs-up from the orderer.

Cajun Meatloaf – a nice comfort food dish. Personally, I thought the mushroom gravy could have had more flavor. With its side items, it’s a good comfort food dish.

Brick Oven Roasted Pizza – Looked good, and reheated well the next day for a snack. I find the HOB pizza to be a good bargain at WDW. I ordered it twice when I was here for a non-family trip in July. Big pizza, good flavor, decent price.

Smoked Turkey and Shrimp File Gumbo (cup) – didn’t look as hearty as I remember it. Almost seemed too brothy and clear. The orderer said it was just okay, but nothing to try again soon.

Creole Jambalaya – This was mine. I really like the HOB version, and it beats me having to create one at home. This batch seemed to be spicier than last visit, but still it is a hearty dish. I think it would be a better choice during a colder visit month, like January or February. Again, they send out a bright orange habanero pepper as a garnish. One table nearby got it, and was advised of the pepper, by their server. I got it, and was not given the warning. But, being a reformed chile-head, I was familiar with the habanero, and it’s magical powers. (Not nearly as mind expanding as the The Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango, grown by inmates in a Guatemalan Insane Asylum, but the habaneros are not without their charm. If I am going to eat anything that spicey at dinner, damn it, I had better be conversing with the Space Coyote afterward).

Skillet Baked Rosemary Cornbread – I ordered this for the table to share, but only had one other taker. The maple butter was addictive, and the cornbread was delicious, but it reheated in the microwave terribly the next day. Next time, I’ll have to wolf it all down at the restaurant.

For drinks – I ordered a house Bloody Mary. I think the spicy Bloody Mary mix they use here is perfect. “It’s like there’s a party in my mouth, and everyone’s invited!!” The garnish of the drink this visit was a plastic skewer with: 2 sliced pepperoni, a pepper-jack cheese cube, and a pepperoncini pepper. EXCELLENT! (Loved the pepper theme).

We all skipped dessert, except for the previously mentioned kids cookies. I don’t have the receipt on this one, but I know that we used one of our discounts, either DVC or AP, with no trouble.

Summary: I love eating at the House of Blues. I never know what to expect when the dining room is fully rented out, and that seems to happen here more than any other place at DTD, or WDW in general. Sometimes, like this trip, it doesn’t impact our meal (except for our table being in the center median of diner and server traffic flow). On a (now infamous) previous visit of years ago, the server told us we had to walk across to the Cirque building to use the restrooms, because the dining room was closed for a private event, and we couldn’t use the restroom in there (she was wrong, as I had the manager clarify, being in regards to serving food and alcohol with no public restroom available for the customers….). So, whenever I see or hear that they have a private function going on, I instinctively cringe, like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard.

All things considered, this was an above average meal for the DTD area, with certainly above average service, and at reasonable food prices (for WDW). While not at the very top of our list on a visit, HOB is a solid top ten for us, and makes it way onto our schedule for most trips.

NEXT UP: Recap & FAQ's

I've been lurking on this thread but don't believe I've posted yet. I love your writing style and wit! I'll have to second the other posts; you really should do a trip report.

I'm still holding out for pictures though! :cool1:

I'm so glad I finally had time to make it back to this thread. I do have to admit to skipping ahead to the Il Mulino review. :o You've convinced me we need to try it next trip. Now, I'm off to read the other reviews.

Maraena and whogirl'smom,

Thank you both for the very kind words. A trip report was 'intended', but as our travel party grew, and keeping us all coordinated became a bigger and bigger task, something else had to give. Regretfully, it was my few quiet minutes at night, when I would normally make notes about the day, for a possible trip report.

(Also, I tend to shy away from trip reports overall, because things that I find interesting or funny, might not fall in the confines of a traditional trip report. There have been more than a few WDW days where the bus rides or meals were the most interesting (or amusing) part of the day. Any trip report I could attempt, would be a scatter-gun of those moments of interest, rather than about how much we enjoyed Space Mountain, or the parade, or the Haunted Mansion, etc..... While the dining reviews may be helpful to others, I believe that a WDW park visit is unique to each traveling party. Our experiences on the 4th Thursday of October, during an a.m. at the MK, likely won't transfer well to reading (interesting reading anyway) for others.)

Looking back at this last trip, after the fact, I have only my powers of recollection, and to quote the honorable Nelson Muntz "Records from that era are spotty at best".

But I will be posting my FAQ and Recap comments, hopefully later this week.

Robert P

Various FAQ’s about my dining reviews (Part 1 of 2):

Q – Why did you write dining reviews?
A – Because I enjoy reading other peoples’ reviews, and feel that by posting mine, I am putting more WDW dining information out there, for others to use.

Q – What value do you place in dining reviews?:confused3
A – It varies. As a whole, we don’t make a decision to eat, or not eat somewhere, solely based on one or two reviews. That’s just crazy. We look for a trend (good or bad reviews), for ideas about what to order, or any bits of information that otherwise are not available by just looking at a menu or price list. There are a handful of posters who write dining reviews, take for example Oybolshoi and Uncle Romulus, and their ‘tastes’ seem to closely match ours. ‘Tastes’ doesn’t mean fancy food or high prices, but it means that their comments and observations are similar to ours, and what I notice about, and look for in, a dining visit. So, when I read their reviews, I put more weight in those comments and opinions, than a regular dining review.
Keep in mind please, that any review is the experience of one diner, on one day, with that server, that kitchen staff, and those particular ingredients. That is why I value trends, over just individual reviews.

Q – When you read a dining review, what do you look for?
A – Information. Details. Experiences. Any nuggets of knowledges that are not readily available on the menu or elsewhere. I also look for opinions. I like a report where the diner has an opinion, good or bad, about the meal. Any opinion is probably more useful than none at all. I don’t have much use for a review where the diner doesn’t mention what they ate, or says that they 'loved everything', or just says it was 'great', and they’ll go back. I don’t think that is a review, as much as it is commentary. Not much information there for us to use.

Q – Okay, general stuff out of the way, why didn’t you take pictures of the food, for your reviews?
A – Several reasons:

1 – We did not bring ‘my camera’ along this trip, and my wife didn’t often carry her camera out to the meals.
2 – My entire family is morbidly embarrassed when I take a flash photo, and light up half the restaurant.
3 – If anyone else takes a food picture, I am often in it. Unlike certain ‘food accessories’ in other reviews (yes, that means Jay – does the man ever take a bad picture??), well, unlike those special people, I never take a good picture. The camera adds 15 lbs and 15 years, neither of which I need the stress of dealing with at this time.

Q – Can you clarify the phrase ‘my camera’?
A – Okay, semi-long story, but here goes: My wife liked her old camera, but a digital with 4X zoom wasn’t great for pictures over 40 feet away, because she couldn’t zoom in close enough to get the shot she wanted. So, for Christmas two years ago, we splurged and she got a new camera with better zoom. Her old camera became ‘my camera’. In movie terminology, I am now relegated to being the B-Camera operator, if and when she allows me to use her old camera, which she still has a strange (and possessive) fondness for.
When we were doing our final packing for WDW the night before the trip, we went down the checklist. It went something like this:

Rob, aka R – “park maps?”
Wife, aka W – “yes, got them.”
R – “itinerary?”
W – “yes.”
R – “wine?”
W – “yes, 2 bottles already packed.”
R – “corkscrew?”
W – “yes.”
R – “your camera?”
W – “yes.”
R – “wall charger?”
W – “yes.”
R – “my camera?”
W – “yes.”
R – “wall charger?”
W – “ “ (almost total silence, just a lone cricket chirping, off in the distance).
R – “no wall charger?”
W – “well I brought the camera home from work, but I think I left the charger there”.
R – “Doh!”

So, I was camera-less this trip, I repeat, camera-less. Which is a shame, because I sometimes take very good pictures, arguably better than some she takes with her ‘new’ camera. Also, I usually take pictures of everything, not just food. This trip, the pictures I missed would have been centered on ‘stupid guest tricks’ and smokers, in addition to the food.

Q – How long does it take you to do a review?
A – Taking notes while at WDW, and having the meal receipt in hand for reference, I can usually knock out a typical review in just a few hours. Before I start writing, I know what I want to say, but my typing speed is terrible. I almost flunked junior high typing class, because my maximum speed, without errors, topped out at a whopping 13 words per minute. Now, in this modern computer age, and not typing from a copy with my head tilted to the side like I’m posing at Glamour Shots, I am up to a blistering 21 words per minute, with just a few errors. Thank goodness for Spell-Check! I feel my typing difficulties are related to the fact that my right and left hands do not coordinate well, which is why I will never be able to play the piano (along with the fact that I am tone deaf and have no musical talent).:sad2:

Q – Anything funny happen while you were writing the reviews?
A – I got the restaurant wrong for the Shelburne Farms cheddar, which I corrected in a subsequent report. Also, before I posted the Flying Fish review, upon engaging the all knowing and all powerful Spell-Check, it came up with an unknown term ‘pre-sinner drink’, which I laughed about for several days.:rotfl2:

UP NEXT: FAQ's Part 2 of 2......

More FAQ’s about my dining reviews (Part 2 of 2):

Q – Why do you often not mention diner names in the reviews?
A – Well, a few years ago, my wife got bored one day, and went and Googled herself online :surfweb: . She was less than enthused when her name came up in a few previous postings of mine. She started saying things about internet privacy, alien abductions, government conspiracy, etc… and she ran right out and bought 6 copies of The Catcher in the Rye. I have been hesitant to post specific names ever since.

Q – Why do you sometimes not mention the server name in a your reviews?
A – Many interesting theories to cause that to happen:

1 – I simply may not have remembered.
2 – I may not have picked up that check, so I don’t have the receipt as a reminder.
3 – After several drinks, I sometimes get confused.....:thumbsup2

Q – Your reviews seem fair and even-handed. Do you ever have a scathing review?
A – In the recent years since I have been posting dining reviews, (knock on wood), we have had only one terrible dining experience (at Beaches & Cream), in which I mentioned the server by name. Prior to that, I would omit the name altogether, out of courtesy. As I get older, I am sure that my inner-curmudgeon will have a harder time biting my tongue on matters of bad service. Especially if there is any decline in the level of service (and especially as it relates to the mandatory DDE 18% gratuity starting next year).

Q – When do you expect to post more reviews?
A – Well, I am now 'all reviewed out’ for this trip. Since we bought annual passes, we hope to squeeze in a quick trip in April (40/60 chance), or maybe another ‘guys only’ trip for me in July (80/20 chance). Failing those two options, we are hoping for an early F&WF trip in 2008.

Q – Any new adventures planned for next trip?
A – After the glowing review from Brenda, we are almost sold, and are likely adding Jiko for next year. We also have to get back to BlueZoo in the future, but Il Mulino was so outstanding this past visit, BlueZoo may have to hold for another trip (or we may try to add an extra day in 2008). We also want to dine at the Poly within the next two years, but feel the experience would be greatly enhanced if they could bring you in to the beach on an outrigger, while playing the Hawaii Five-O music over the loud speakers.

Q – Any places you regretted dropping or canceling from the 2007 trip?
A – We cancelled V&A and didn’t book Party For The Senses (PFTS). With our travel party larger than in previous years, we just ran out of days to try for a romantic dinner at V&A. Party For The Senses (PFTS) had yet another price increase in 2007, while dropping some of the entertainment from 2005 to 2006, and still can’t get their dress code straightened out. We really enjoyed PFTS in 2005 and 2006, and at $95 in 2005 it was a deal. The price increase for 2006 made it a toss-up decision for us, but we went anyway. The added increase for 2007 helped us decide to skip it. I would wager it goes up again for 2008 as well. We’ll have to make that decision when they announce F&WF prices, around late July 2008.

Everyone, thank you very much for taking the time to read my reviews. I have enjoyed writing them, and hope that somewhere through the Simspons’ humor and cultural references, you were able to pick out some useful information about dining at WDW. If anyone has questions, I will be happy to try to answer them. Otherwise, until next year….

Best Regards,

Robert P

Just an update (thought the end of this thread may be the best place to post):

And like the Phoenix, rising from the ashes of vacations past........

BREAKING NEWS:
Cosmic forces have aligned (work, school, politics, wine, etc....) and it looks like we will be heading back to WDW in April for a short trip. As such:

I need your input!' :idea:
Right now, we have time scheduled for 2 adults-only dinners, and 2 'full crew' days with the kids, which means probably 2 dinners and 2 lunches there. I would say total meals will be 4 dinners, 2 or 3 lunches.

Aside from Il Mulino being at the top of our list (one of the dinners), I am at a loss for what other places to choose. If any gentle-readers out there (I borrowed that term from Ms. Manners) have ideas or recommendations, I would love to hear them. Regardless of the final selections, I am:

a) going to review each meal (thank you all for your support of my prior review attempts)
b) planning (fingers are crossed) to take food pictures this time!!
c) going to create a new review thread for this new trip, with a title to be named later (assuming I can find something original).

So, if you have read this thread of reviews, and hopefully enjoyed them, please feel free to suggest places you think you would like for me to review. This trip was unexpected (thank you ap's), so it is wide open for meal destinations.

Anyone......

I've been looking everywhere for this thread ... thanks for bringing it back (my own fault for not subscribing ... :headache: ).

I suggest ...

Bistro Paris
Narcoosee's
Jiko

Or a full blown knock yer socks off dinenr at V&A!!!

I have to come back and finish reading this whole thread later ... :goodvibes

Just an update (thought the end of this thread may be the best place to post):

And like the Phoenix, rising from the ashes of vacations past........

BREAKING NEWS:
Cosmic forces have aligned (work, school, politics, wine, etc....) and it looks like we will be heading back to WDW in April for a short trip. As such:

I need your input!' :idea:
Right now, we have time scheduled for 2 adults-only dinners, and 2 'full crew' days with the kids, which means probably 2 dinners and 2 lunches there. I would say total meals will be 4 dinners, 2 or 3 lunches.

Aside from Il Mulino being at the top of our list (one of the dinners), I am at a loss for what other places to choose. If any gentle-readers out there (I borrowed that term from Ms. Manners) have ideas or recommendations, I would love to hear them. Regardless of the final selections, I am:

a) going to review each meal (thank you all for your support of my prior review attempts)
b) planning (fingers are crossed) to take food pictures this time!!
c) going to create a new review thread for this new trip, with a title to be named later (assuming I can find something original).

So, if you have read this thread of reviews, and hopefully enjoyed them, please feel free to suggest places you think you would like for me to review. This trip was unexpected (thank you ap's), so it is wide open for meal destinations.

Anyone......

LOVE LOVE LOVE your reviews! Thank you.. Now I have to add Il Mulino to my list!

I am going to say Jiko is a must to do. Great service, food and wine! Have Fun in April and will look for your reviews!:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter