Dining plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if there is a fee for cancelling the dining plan 8 days before vacation

Almost certainly. There's going to be a package change fee - that's usually waived if you're increasing the overall plan cost (e.g., by adding a dining plan or upgrading room category), but they'll certainly apply it if you're reducing your package price.

I'm not sure when the "last minute" change fee applies, it's either at 7 days or 14 days out, IIRC. You'd be susceptible to that, too, if you're already inside the window.'

Call and ask is always the best bet.

There is a $50 change fee that will be charged because you are reducing the total cost of your package and an additional paperwork fee of $15 since you are making the change very close to your arrival date.

I'd just hang on to it if I were you. If it's already paid for, it's just one less thing to think about on the trip. I love the Dining Plan just so I can eat freely during the week without constantly thinking about money and budgeting and ruining the vacation aspect. With the dining plan, it's already paid, I don't have to worry about it, and I can eat whatever I want without having to go for the "cheapest" option, which is all I'd do if I didn't get the dining plan. Even telling myself it's cheaper to buy the middle-of-the-road food item than to buy the dining plan, while I'm sitting in the restaurant I'd still go with the cheaper option.

That's just me though.

There is a $50 change fee that will be charged because you are reducing the total cost of your package and an additional paperwork fee of $15 since you are making the change very close to your arrival date.

How close in does that start? I've dropped the dining plan and changed to a lower priced resort and have not incurred a fee. I am over 100 days out from my reservation though...

I did drop the plan and incurred the $50 fee but nothing else. getting back everything but the $50 and the freedom to eat on the fly and not be tied into a TS every day that I would need to work around. I will use my disney visa (rack up some points) and pay it in full upon my return....to me it'll be a win/win...we would never have eaten over 1000 dollars in food when all my traveling partner (my grandson) wants is chicken fingers and burgers...lol

How close in does that start? I've dropped the dining plan and changed to a lower priced resort and have not incurred a fee. I am over 100 days out from my reservation though...
Changes made within 30 days of arrival (i.e. after the final payment due date) will incur the $50 change fee if your new total is less than before. If you add to your package and your total goes up in that same timeframe, the change fee could be charged, but it is usually waived.

Even if you have to pay a fee, no matter how much the fee will cost, you will be much better off and happier if you cancel the DDP. $50 is a small price to pay to eliminate the misery you will experience on the DDP. Paying the fee and paying OOP will be so much cheaper than keeping the DDP. Ignore any fake post you will find on this site that claim the DDP can save you money, because it doesn't. Worse than the wasted money spent on DDP is the added stress and inconvenience it causes because of its ridiculous rules and limitations.

Even if you have to pay a fee, no matter how much the fee will cost, you will be much better off and happier if you cancel the DDP. $50 is a small price to pay to eliminate the misery you will experience on the DDP. Paying the fee and paying OOP will be so much cheaper than keeping the DDP. Ignore any fake post you will find on this site that claim the DDP can save you money, because it doesn't. Worse than the wasted money spent on DDP is the added stress and inconvenience it causes because of its ridiculous rules and limitations.

All I can say is WOW!!!. Just WOW!!!
How do you really feel about the DDP?
It has worked wonderfully for our family for years.

And yet again you are trying to turn another thread with your DDP bashing. And yet again - not what the OP was asking about.

I did drop the plan and incurred the $50 fee but nothing else. getting back everything but the $50 and the freedom to eat on the fly and not be tied into a TS every day that I would need to work around. I will use my disney visa (rack up some points) and pay it in full upon my return....to me it'll be a win/win...we would never have eaten over 1000 dollars in food when all my traveling partner (my grandson) wants is chicken fingers and burgers...lol
Glad you were able to make the change you wanted with just incurring the one fee. The DDP works for many but not for all. It seems like with your party's dynamic it wouldn't have been a fit.

You do realize that a supporter of the dining plan could make this exact same statement about paying OOP? And then do you realize that you could both actually be right? Shocking, I know. Rather than trying to discredit other people's preference, why not just state that DDP does not work for you and why. Don't presume your situation is the same as everyone elses, because it absolutely is not. You want to eat on the cheap, have it, to each their own.

OP - I'm glad you were able to make the change you wanted with a fee that is acceptable to you.

You do realize that a supporter of the dining plan could make this exact same statement about paying OOP? And then do you realize that you could both actually be right? Shocking, I know. Rather than trying to discredit other people's preference, why not just state that DDP does not work for you and why. Don't presume your situation is the same as everyone elses, because it absolutely is not. You want to eat on the cheap, have it, to each their own.

OP - I'm glad you were able to make the change you wanted with a fee that is acceptable to you.

Completely untrue. Any DDP supporter cannot truthfully make anything close to the statement I made above and that is precisely the problem. I will stop debunking myths about the DDP when people stop making false claims like they saved money on the DDP. People on this site aren't just Disney fans. They are also average people just looking for truthful advice and for many it will be their first trip to Disney. Those people have a right to know how restrictive the DDP is, how stressful it is, and how much waste comes along with it. If someone says they still enjoy the DDP even though they realize they are wasting lots of money and they like being told what they can and cannot eat while they are on vacation, then that's fine and their opinion. Other than that, if someone says there is a single redeeming advantage to the DDP, then they are just being dishonest, or they really don't understand the DDP and they shouldn't be giving advice. That isn't my opinion, it is simple mathematics and the rules of the DDP.

Completely untrue. Any DDP supporter cannot truthfully make anything close to the statement I made above and that is precisely the problem. I will stop debunking myths about the DDP when people stop making false claims like they saved money on the DDP. People on this site aren't just Disney fans. They are also average people just looking for truthful advice and for many it will be their first trip to Disney. Those people have a right to know how restrictive the DDP is, how stressful it is, and how much waste comes along with it. If someone says they still enjoy the DDP even though they realize they are wasting lots of money and they like being told what they can and cannot eat while they are on vacation, then that's fine and their opinion. Other than that, if someone says there is a single redeeming advantage to the DDP, then they are just being dishonest, or they really don't understand the DDP and they shouldn't be giving advice. That isn't my opinion, it is simple mathematics and the rules of the DDP.

Yes, it is your opinion and it relates to your personal situation and not to anyone elses and most certainly not mine. You are actually causing more harm to people trying to evaluate the dining plan with your narrow and selfish view than the people you're ranting and raving about.

As an example, categorically stating that the dining plan is stressful is misleading. You may find it stressful, but I actually find it more stressful not to have it. I would never be arrogant enough to suggest to anyone that they should also find it less stressful just because I do.

As for cost savings or not, some situations will save money and others won't and that is fact. Trying to claim that people will always lose money is simply false.

Clearly you don't like the dining plan and I have no problem with that and I'm not here to say you are wrong to not like it. I actually have the ability to see multiple sides to a debate. But you are wrong to assume your situation is the same as everybody elses.

I'd just hang on to it if I were you. If it's already paid for, it's just one less thing to think about on the trip. I love the Dining Plan just so I can eat freely during the week without constantly thinking about money and budgeting and ruining the vacation aspect. With the dining plan, it's already paid, I don't have to worry about it, and I can eat whatever I want without having to go for the "cheapest" option, which is all I'd do if I didn't get the dining plan. Even telling myself it's cheaper to buy the middle-of-the-road food item than to buy the dining plan, while I'm sitting in the restaurant I'd still go with the cheaper option.

That's just me though.

Do you that in day to day restaurants? I've heard this sentiment expressed before and I've been curious.

I don't use the DDP because it doesn't work for the way I eat, but I definitely wouldn't call it eating "on the cheap."

I don't use the DDP because it doesn't work for the way I eat, but I definitely wouldn't call it eating "on the cheap."

I agree, that statement was more in response to the post I was addressing.

I do think that if you want to stretch budget, then dining is a good place to do that and no dining plan, packing snacks, eating cereal in your room and sharing meals is a way to do that. And that would be one example of a situation where dining plan makes no sense and is often one I come across in dining plan threads.

That's all I was really trying to say there.

The dining plan is hard to save money on but it can be done. It's even harder for annual pass members and dvc members with the discounts. I have never got the dining plan. Some people like it because their food is paid ahead of time. You go to Norway dinner that day you will be saving money getting the dining plan for that day. If your getting a 1 credit rol package or fantastic package them days you will be saving money getting the dining package. Run the numbers see if it works for you.

Now the top dining plan is very easily to save money on. If you will be getting all of them things anyway but not many people will get all of them things the top dining plan has if they were paying oop.

I would tell the OP to ignore your post, because it is obvious by many of your posts that you hate the plan for some reason. We all get it, but you declaring that the plan can never save money is simply untrue. I always run the numbers before each trip, and some times I get the plan and some times I don't.

You have the right to not like the plan. But not to out and out lie to people about it. You are unable to run the math for anyone but yourself, as you don't know the details of how anyone else eats. We all can run the numbers for our family and figure out if it saves money or not. Even though you don't want to hear it, it CAN save money.

I would tell the OP to ignore your post, because it is obvious by many of your posts that you hate the plan for some reason. We all get it, but you declaring that the plan can never save money is simply untrue. I always run the numbers before each trip, and some times I get the plan and some times I don't.

You have the right to not like the plan. But not to out and out lie to people about it. You are unable to run the math for anyone but yourself, as you don't know the details of how anyone else eats. We all can run the numbers for our family and figure out if it saves money or not. Even though you don't want to hear it, it CAN save money.

The important distinction is you can say you like the DDP and that is an opinion. I am purely pointing out the fact the DDP is a horrible value and cannot save money. That is not an opinion. The absolute worse advice I see about the DDP is when someone says "do the math and figure out what is best for you". That is just plain stupid advice because math is not different for different people, math is the same no matter what universe you live in. If people are looking for advice about the DDP it's because they don't understand ridiculous rules and restrictions of the DDP. Using the DDP is not simple math and the bean counters who invented the DDP didn't use simple math either. If you want simple math then admit the DDP is nearly $70 a person a day for an adult. For that much you can order the most expensive entree in virtually every single 1 credit TS and QS restaurant in WDW plus 2 snacks and you would still have money left over if you paid OOP.

It is not a personal insult to anyone when I refute fake statements like "the DDP is great because I get to order whatever I want". Fact, The DDP has strict rules and severely limits what you can eat.

FWIW - My family eat like kings at Disney. We order whatever we want without regard for price including alcoholic drinks, salads, appetizers, and desserts at any restaurant including signature restaurants and character meals. Sometimes we even include tips on the bill and we charge it back to our room with our magic bands. We save 30%-50% off of our food budget just by not using the DDP. How is that possible you ask? We merely order what we want and don't pay for all of the waste caused by the DDP. It's not rocket science, it's beating the bean counters scam. All the DDP does is make you pay for things you don't want or need. That isn't my opinion, that is an economic fact and the underlying purpose if the DDP in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter