Dining Plan Prices: Too Much???

I've always been a proponent of the dining plan, and while dining prices have risen, they have not risen as fast as the meal plan. It was only 4 years ago it was under $40 a day, and now it's going to be above $55, almost a 40 % increase in 4 years. I think it's now to a point where it is probably a break-even prospect versus the what you get OOP. I still think it is a bit difficult to get a TS and QS meal for under $55, but with the restrictions of the DDP (no appetizers for example) the benefits are now marginal. Our other issue is our DD will be10 next trip, making her a DD - and brining the DDP cost $166.77 a day not including tips.

It would still be worth being on the Dining Plan with free dining though! I think for us, if we didn't get free dining (which we do almost every trip), we would not get the dining plan, we would pick and choose our TS meals more carefully (avoid the buffets for one), and be able

As I've said, if you think the prices are too high, speak with your wallet. Don't buy the DDP. At a point, people will stop paying the ridiculous prices.

Up until this past year I was always a big proponent of the DDP and DxDDP. I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and up until this past Sept used either DDP or DxDDP every single trip, so have used both DDP and the DxDDP alot (never had an interest in the counter service plan, because I am not fond of most CS restaurants). Disney finally priced me out. After running the numbers from my May 2011 trip, I realized that paying OOP and using the TiW card would have been the better deal. I refuse to skimp on vacation and always order exactly what I'm in the mood for. However, sometimes that may be two appetizers or an appetizer and entree, or maybe all three courses. Paying OOP with the TiW allows me to eat exactly what I am in the mood for and also allows me to eat at restaurants that don't take the DDP. The main draw of the DDPs was always having everything prepaid, but since tips and appetizers are no longer included that draw is no longer there. I still used the DDPs though, thinking I was saving money. After running figures from my May 2011 trip, I realized that was no longer true. I could have come out cheaper paying OOP. What I do now is carry Disney gift cards that I use for meals, gratuities, and any snacks I might want (I am not really much of a snacker, so always had almost all my snack credits to use up on the last day). I come out cheaper and love having absolutely everything prepaid. It's like having the DDP how it was when if first came out, except better because even the gratuities are prepaid.

Wow!! There is some really good advice on here about the DDP!! I just don't understand what Disney is thinking!! LOL I mean if you're gonna charge adults $56 to eat and it's two of you, that's $112 to eat...that's a little outstanding for me.

I think I'm just gonna budget for OOP and call it a day. Plus, for me, when I'm walking around as much as I do at WDW..I don't get as hungry. Maybe I should write a letter and complain about this, but I doubt it will be seen or cared about. But like one previous poster said, stop buying the DDP and maybe Disney will get it.

The thing I think many people may overlook when planning and doing the math is the tips on top.
I looked at the menu at Le Cellier. Knowng myself, to get the best bang for buck I would order one of the most expensive entrees.
So here is the math:
Entree 35
Dessert 7
Coke 3
Tip (20%) 9.00

So for me I would have to figure in for most TS meals, a 9.00 tip each meal added to the daily DP cost.

Normally I don't need dessert, but I feel pressured to order as its pre-paid ( anotherwards, being forced to tip on something that I wouldnt normally order).

I remember last year we had the DxDP which still included appetizers. It was so much food, we were 4 adults and each ordered expensive to maximize the DP cost. Alot of food was left sitting and our tip bill was on average 60-70 bucks for each meal. Per day ( when combing 2TS for a character meal)$ 150, x 5 days =$ 750 in TIPS!!! Add that to the budget!

Though servers are entitled to their tips, I was starting to feel nickled and dimed near the end.. Paying so much up front and still getting a large bill only for tips.

I just don't understand what Disney is thinking!! LOL I mean if you're gonna charge adults $56 to eat and it's two of you, that's $112 to eat...that's a little outstanding for me.

I think I'm just gonna budget for OOP and call it a day. Plus, for me, when I'm walking around as much as I do at WDW..I don't get as hungry.

This is the exact realization I came to this past week. And the park tickets going up the week I finally hit my budget :surfweb:........:scared1:

DBF and I will be choosing 2 sit down meals during our stay and just snack along as we feel hungry. Trying to use all the points I felt like we would just be eating our way through Disney. Besides it is FW so there will be plenty of snacks to fill us up!!!

My friends and I just returned from WDW and we were on the Regular Dining Plan. I have done every single one of the plans (Quick, Regular, Deluxe, Premium, and Platinum) several times, and at least one of the plans per year, since the Dining plans were introduced about six years or so ago.

This is the first visit I have felt like it was difficult to get my money's worth from the plan. AND, now seeing the 2013 prices, with those huge jumps (esp. Deluxe), I am officially 'divorcing' the Dining Plans!

Used to love 'em but now they are taking advantage of me. If the gratuity would be included, like back in the early days, I could understand the big jump.

Universal and SeaWorld have much more affordable quick-service plans.

I'm also on the fence.

We're planning our very first trip for arrival on 12/31, with all of our park days in January. The only meal we'll be eating in 2012 is Chef Mickey's for dinner on the night of arrival. I kept leaning towards the meal plan, just because financially it feels better to walk in and feed my family of 5 on "credit" (err, prepaid food) at 'Ohana where I know even my 5 year old will eat as much as an adult. But with the price increase, it seems we could surely do it much cheaper since we were already debating whether we really need a TS meal each day.

Since we'd planned on the basic dining plan, I'd allowed myself to get my heart set on the TS restaurants we've decided on. If we decide to go out of pocket, I may change my mind.

My only concern would be one already mentioned by a PP -- does this pretty much mean that the food prices will increase right along with meal plan prices and we'll suddenly be paying more. My luck, we'd veto the MP, and then on Jan 1st food prices at all of our ADR restaurants would increase to the point where we would have saved money.

We've always gone for the dining plan because of the convenience. However it has been an eye opener after reading this thread and doing the math.

Instead of the dining plan, what is the advantage of using gift cards to pay for meals? Why not just use a credit card for everything?

thanks for all the responses! Looks like for US we will also "divorce" the dining plan after years of loving it :) We will still book 1TS per day, and order what we want, no sharing! We will eat 1 CS per day ordering what we want, which is most likely going to be an entree per person and ice water, no dessert. We will get snacks during the day and desserts with the meals that are buffet! Going to put 1,000.00 on Disney gift cards and pay as we go. Here is where we want to eat :flower3:
Kouzzina dinner
Biergarten dinner
Ohana dinner
Tusker House lunch
Liberty Tree lunch
Via Napoli dinner
Cape May breakfast? Or dinner?

we will still come out better than 1,556.52 :lmao:

hmmm guess I am thinking that if the money is set aside and already on a Disney gift card it will have to be used at Disney? Afraid my DH will start looking for the cheapest meal on the menu and not order what he or the kids want because we will be charging it as we go? We never go out to eat at home...very rarely! So when in Disney on the dining plan it feels like a real treat to just order whatever, even if it is a 30.00 steak for our 60lb 12 year old? Maybe this sounds weird, but if I allot the money on a card that has to be used there, it will still feel like a "Dining plan" and we would be spending less than the actual plan? If anyone has any other opinions on what would be best, please share!!

Why use gift cards? Why not just pay with a credit card?

Depends on how you like to spend. If I put $1000 on a credit card in addition to a Disney trip, I'd be paying interest on that for several months. However, my local grocery store gives me quadruple fuel points for Disney gift cards. So I can buy a $25 dollar Disney GC every time I go to the store....it only increases my bill by $25 and I get 10 cents off a gallon of gas. I could have well over $1000 in gift cards in a year and not ever miss the money. Way easier on the pocket book than booking the MP all at once.

Money on gift cards is how I set a budget for our spending while there. I don't want to carry all cash and debit cards have been vulnerable to theft and scammers too often and most recently.
on a credit card? We divorced our dependence on credit cards about 7 years ago...if you cant afford it now, dont buy it...that was just our family's motto for getting away from them! No debt = more vacations...YAY!! No, we will gain no interest putting our money on gift cards but, we're not losing any either!

Glad I found this discussion, I am sitting here booking 4 disney trips and was just going to book the DDP for each of them. After seeing the increase I am had to redo my math. Originally I was going to keep the DDP on my first two trips only and not take the DDP for our Feb trip. But now after sitting down and doing the math again, I am realizing that the TIW card may be a better option. Oh decisions, decisions!

I get Disney gift cards instead because if you have a Target Red Card you can get them for 5% off. Not a huge savings but it's something.

NO WAY! Do they REALLY give you 5% off gift cards??? I thought gift card discounts were excluded from red card purchases! I have the red debit card and LOVE it. Are you sure they give you 5% off gift cards?

I'm also on the fence.

We're planning our very first trip for arrival on 12/31, with all of our park days in January. The only meal we'll be eating in 2012 is Chef Mickey's for dinner on the night of arrival. I kept leaning towards the meal plan, just because financially it feels better to walk in and feed my family of 5 on "credit" (err, prepaid food) at 'Ohana where I know even my 5 year old will eat as much as an adult. But with the price increase, it seems we could surely do it much cheaper since we were already debating whether we really need a TS meal each day.

Since we'd planned on the basic dining plan, I'd allowed myself to get my heart set on the TS restaurants we've decided on. If we decide to go out of pocket, I may change my mind.

My only concern would be one already mentioned by a PP -- does this pretty much mean that the food prices will increase right along with meal plan prices and we'll suddenly be paying more. My luck, we'd veto the MP, and then on Jan 1st food prices at all of our ADR restaurants would increase to the point where we would have saved money.

If you check in during 2012, you will pay 2012 prices on the DDP for your full stay. They don't prorate it when the year switches. At least they haven't in the past.

Ok I did the math on the DDP vs. pay-as-you go.

We're staying for 8 nights. Each dinner will cost us about $120, and each quick serve will cost us about $30. Some higher, some lower, that's average.

For the stay, the DDP is about $1,000. If we paid-as-we-went at the same Disney restaurants it would be $1200. DDP = $200 savings.

Of course if we didn't buy the DDP we'd be making our own sandwiches, bringing our own drinks, carrying it around all day then driving somewhere to eat dinner in the Orlando area. Huge savings that way. But that kind of ruins the fun of trying all the Disney restaurants and the convenience of eating in the parks.

Ok I did the math on the DDP vs. pay-as-you go.

We're staying for 8 nights. Each dinner will cost us about $120, and each quick serve will cost us about $30. Some higher, some lower, that's average.

For the stay, the DDP is about $1,000. If we paid-as-we-went at the same Disney restaurants it would be $1200. DDP = $200 savings.

Of course if we didn't buy the DDP we'd be making our own sandwiches, bringing our own drinks, carrying it around all day then driving somewhere to eat dinner in the Orlando area. Huge savings that way. But that kind of ruins the fun of trying all the Disney restaurants and the convenience of eating in the parks.

Just wondering about the composition of your party -- I assume you are 2 adults and 1 child, for the DDP to be $1000 over 8 nights?
Wondering how you got to an average price of $120 for 1-credit TS dinners? I suspect you're doing mostly character dinners? (It would be pretty hard for any regular TS restaurant to run much more than $100 for 2 adults and 1 child) That's 1 of the ways that savings can still add up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter