Dining Plan Price Increase 2017

Thanks for this. Another question I have is: do I have to be on the plan for the entire duration of my stay at the Disney resort (in my case ASMu)? Reason I ask is we'll spend six days at WDW and then will spend the rest of the trip at Universal and other places so won't be on Disney property. Can't imagine dining plan being used for those days. So can I add a dining plan for 6 of say 11 days at the resort?

The DDP is tied to your length of stay so, no if you don't want to make 2 reservations. You can book a package for 6 days with the plan, make a room only reservation for 5 days (no dining attached), but you may have to change rooms.
You will be paying the adult DDP price for your soon-to-be 10 yr old but can use his entitlements for yourselves, for instance at Signature restaurants.
I'd rather pay OOP and not worry about all of the above ;)

Thanks for this. Another question I have is: do I have to be on the plan for the entire duration of my stay at the Disney resort (in my case ASMu)? Reason I ask is we'll spend six days at WDW and then will spend the rest of the trip at Universal and other places so won't be on Disney property. Can't imagine dining plan being used for those days. So can I add a dining plan for 6 of say 11 days at the resort?
The DP has to be booked for everyone on the reservation and for the entire duration of the Dining Plan. So if you an 11 day reservation, you'll need to pay for all 11 days. You can book a 6 day and 5 day (for example) and only book the DP for one of them. Also keep in mind you don't have to use the credits each day. You can use as many as you want each day until they are gone. So you could book a Signature or Dinner show that require 2TS. That way you aren't losing anything even though you won't be on property very much the last few days. Man, I wish I had that many TS credits to play with!! Sounds like you guys are going to have an epic vacation!!

Thanks again for all the replies. It's really helpful for me as we are going for the first time. We have already booked our room for 11 days. We were planning on calling Disney and try to add DP to our "ticketless package" buy it looks like we won't be able to only add six days to our 11 day reservation. I guess we will either pay OOP or go all out and use up all 11 days in 6 days. lol:flower1:

Thanks again for all the replies. It's really helpful for me as we are going for the first time. We have already booked our room for 11 days. We were planning on calling Disney and try to add DP to our "ticketless package" buy it looks like we won't be able to only add six days to our 11 day reservation. I guess we will either pay OOP or go all out and use up all 11 days in 6 days. lol:flower1:

No reason why you couldn't change your reservation into two separate ones if you want to. Changes are allowed with no penalty.

For us on the DDP we calculated over $600 savings for our 14 night stay

No reason why you couldn't change your reservation into two separate ones if you want to. Changes are allowed with no penalty.

For us on the DDP we calculated over $600 savings for our 14 night stay
Yeah, they definitely won't let you add just 6 days, but they will let you spit your reservations. The only draw back is that in order to do it, they will have to cancel your current one and create 2 new reservations. Which means you will possibly run into an availability issue. They are usually pretty accomidating when it comes to that. If I remember correctly, you are going in August which isn't very busy (relatively speaking) so It's definitely worth a shot. My suggestion would be to pay out of pocket for the 6 days, if you won't be on property very much the final 5 days. Unless you plan to book Singature Restaurants and/or Dinner Shows for the first 6 nights. Most (if not all) of those are 2 TS credits. So that is a way you could take advantage of the amount of TS you have. Also gratuity is included with Dinner Shows and Royal Table so that may be something to consider as well.

^ Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to wait a bit and see if free dining becomes available and if I can take advantage of that. If now, I'll likely just pay OOP for those six days.

im going to try to make it work for my September trip I have some restaurants that I haven't been to that cost a bit. I'm off next week going to see if it works. I'm a annual pass member and a dvc member so with the discounts it will be harder to make it work. But going to see.

Last edited:
im going to try to make it work for my September trip I have some restaurants that I haven't been to that cost a bit. I'm off next week going to see if it works. I'm a annual pass member and a dvc member so with the discounts it will be harder to make it work. But going to see.

I don't think any of the menus include tax. Just add the 6.5% tax to your total.

IF you use rustyscupper's sticky to find the buffet prices, his prices DO include tax.

Are 2 snacks included with the regular DDP? I thought somewhere I read it is now only 1.

We have a 3 night stay with the first night on a sep res #. Room only , we are AP. Was thinking of doing ROL TH package which is like $55 and then if it includes a mug...I think this is possible correct?

2 snacks for the regular ddp now. You no longer get dessert with the qs component but do with the ts.

I wonder if any of you can answer this question. I thought the QS meals couldn't exceed $15.99, but I have found some counter services with meals that cost more than that. For example, at the POFQ cafeteria, there is a dinner on the menu for $17.99. Will they accept a QS credit for this, or would I need a table credit? TIA

I wonder if any of you can answer this question. I thought the QS meals couldn't exceed $15.99, but I have found some counter services with meals that cost more than that. For example, at the POFQ cafeteria, there is a dinner on the menu for $17.99. Will they accept a QS credit for this, or would I need a table credit? TIA

There is no money limit on the QS entrees. If it's listed on the QS menu, you can get it for a QS credit.

We just paid for the DxDP for our Christmas week stay. Just got in before the price hike. So $103 a day pp.

We rented DVC at the Beach Club for 3 nights then moving on to French Quarter for the next 4 nights. Only getting the dining plan for our 3 night stay. Which gives us 9 credits each 2credits for a specialty restaurant. Leaving us with 7 TS credits to be split among the 3 days plus check out day.

We would really not have considered getting the Dining Plan but my TIW has expired and i figured with the price increases over the Holidays we would definitely get our monies worth.

We like to have a nice breakfast( Garden Grill, Crystal Palace, Cape May and Bon Voyage at La Trattoria) then end the day with a nice dinner. yachtsman and Hollywood and Vine just to name a few.

Oh and the mug which i hope we can use when we move over to the French Quarter.

Does this sound like a plan? LOL

People who still have Disney kids will still save money with the plan because the kid's plan is priced to do so. And as long as they continue to let kids get adult QS meals, those families will save even more when they do that.

I am NOT one of the convenience people, but I do understand them. It has nothing to do with how you pay while at Disney. The two convenience points are usually that it's ALREADY paid for; they don't go home with a credit card bill. Yes, they could do gift cards and still be "prepaid." But that negates the second point which is they don't worry about the prices. They eat all the desserts and snacks and get steak every night (I'm generalizing, here) and don't have to look at what it costs. These are the people who would never eat everything they want if they "saw" the prices. My family is not like them; I do the research and know we can eat whatever we want and never spend what the plans would cost us. But I get where they are coming from, and it's just a reminder that God made us all unique.

I'm one of those people who cannot get past the prices. Maybe one meal, but not for my length of stay, so I look at the menus ahead of time, try to judge what my family will order and book the appropriate plan. So far we are at least even, but many times ahead. I know all the "work arounds" and I know me. No gift card is going to trick my mind into choosing a steak when I keep seeing the less expensive chicken. With a plan I know it is already paid for and so if I want a dessert I order it, and I dont feel guilty if I cannot finish it.

I will say that I would just once have loved to bring my born during the Depression, lived throug WWII Mom with me to Disney and on a dining plan. This lovely lady would have loved "getting her money's worth" on a plan and I woudl have gladly paid twice the cost and lost any amount of money to do just that. She almost always ordered the least expensive item on a menu, no matter how hard we would try to get her to order anything she wanted. She just could not. If I could have had the opportunity to tell her that every meal no matter what she chose was paid in advance, and that I would love it Disney lost money...well her experience, and that of our family would have been enhanced.

I am kind of like her, as is my daughter. WE never try to maximize any plan we choose, but there is an internal freedom that makes sense for us.

My husband was raised to be thrifty. He ALWAYS reads the menu from right to left and chooses something that is the least expensive.
It was ingrained in him as he grew up to always take the cheaper route and save his money. He has to use a coupon, buy things on sale, get no name brands, etc.
So he loves the pre paid idea - it allows him to relax, and order without looking at prices. I know it doesn't make sense to everyone, but he needs that freedom! I love that he can relax and enjoy himself.
The rest of the year we are careful, but he gets that one week to not worry about picking something too expensive and just orders whatever he is in the mood for. It is magical to see him happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter