Dining plan coming back!

My son turns 10 years old in January. That makes him an adult, yet at this point he barely finishes a kids meal.

"
"
Yeah, I had a kid like that. Then he turned into a teenager and I swear, he ate his weight in food every day! :scared1: It was astonishing. As for the dining plan, I don't know if it's a good value even with normal eaters. I'm thinking...

The point of the dining plan has never been in financial value. It's perceived value.

"I like to prepay and feel like it is all-inclusive!"
"I can pay a little at a time with my package!" < does not apply to DVC but is really common to hear from resort guests.

Also, the average travel planner/agent enjoys it because it is commissionable, whereas pay-as-you-go or the purchase of gift cards is not. And for the person using a planner/agent, having it included goes back to point one, the all-inclusive feel.

Old school, the way to make it all work financially was character meals and kids under 9. It looks like Disney is addressing those holes more in the pricing.

The point of the dining plan has never been in financial value. It's perceived value.

"I like to prepay and feel like it is all-inclusive!"
"I can pay a little at a time with my package!" < does not apply to DVC but is really common to hear from resort guests.

Also, the average travel planner/agent enjoys it because it is commissionable, whereas pay-as-you-go or the purchase of gift cards is not. And for the person using a planner/agent, having it included goes back to point one, the all-inclusive feel.

Old school, the way to make it all work financially was character meals and kids under 9. It looks like Disney is addressing those holes more in the pricing.

This is why my cousins who are coming with me in January have decided they want to add the QS plan for our trip. Just easier to budget and for those of us going, it will be more than enough since I myself won’t use both QS each day which will give us a breakfast on our last day before heading to the airport.

Originally I was very happy the DDP was finally coming back but after seeing the daily price, not so happy.

Idk about everyone else, but I feel like I don't eat 'normally' when at the parks. I tend to eat less because I'm up early for opening each day and the thought of food that early...🤢. I think going when it's hot also plays a factor. I've never been much for alcohol either so doubt I would be drinking every day, much less every meal. I went this year and last and I budgeted $75/day and found I had money left over but I'm not one to do a TS meal every day.

Originally I was very happy the DDP was finally coming back but after seeing the daily price, not so happy.

Idk about everyone else, but I feel like I don't eat 'normally' when at the parks. I tend to eat less because I'm up early for opening each day and the thought of food that early...🤢. I think going when it's hot also plays a factor. I've never been much for alcohol either so doubt I would be drinking every day, much less every meal. I went this year and last and I budgeted $75/day and found I had money left over but I'm not one to do a TS meal every day.

We definitely realized that the TS plan was way too expensive, given I have my DVC dining discount that can be used for any sit downs we would do..which, like you, won’t be every day.

But, the QS one is pretty close. We figure it might be costing us a potential $10 a day per person but now the group doesn’t need to worry about it.

I’m bummed. I was happy about DDP returning, but now that I see the cost and we have DVC/AP discounts now, I agree that it’s probably not going to be worth getting anymore. I do know it really wasn’t worth getting to start with all those years ago, but it was just convenient and all we had going for us was the Disney Visa discount at a handful of restaurants. But now saving 10-20% at each TS meal, that’s way better than prepaying for our food on DDP at a higher price. We still eat what we want and we really don’t buy cocktails with our meals, but we would if we were trying to maximize DDP. We used to enjoy getting the refillable mug, but since they stopped the DDP, we don’t even get it anymore and I really haven’t missed having it. I’d like Disney to offer an overall 10% discount for DVC members to purchase the DDP with their reservation, but that wouldn’t work when renting out points I guess.

We always buy the mugs. A lot including us would get the DP either one usually CS for us for the first night and switch rooms or resorts the next day or about. Some would have 2 rooms and make the deluxe work but that is not an option yet…. For a short time DVC even allowed you to add it by night so if you had a 7 night trip you could have it for the first 2 nights and last 2 as an example.

it is less convenient than using a credit card any way you look at it. It used to be better when the tip was included and more people used cash. Now you have 2 transactions, not one after dinner.

I just find the DDP too stressful, from the planning to get all the res you need, then feeling like you have to choose the most expensive thing on the menu to get value- eating when you don't really feel that hungry and going home with a load of snacks you didn't need but felt you had to get to avoid wasting money.

I prefer to just pay as I go

I just find the DDP too stressful, from the planning to get all the res you need, then feeling like you have to choose the most expensive thing on the menu to get value- eating when you don't really feel that hungry and going home with a load of snacks you didn't need but felt you had to get to avoid wasting money.

I prefer to just pay as I go
Agreed. We did it once, and it was only worthwhile because we put my then 9-year-old in a room with my mother, ordered the deluxe plan for that room only, and then used all of those TS credits only on adult meals for our party of 5. We did come out ahead, but even at one TS meal a day, it was way too much food for me at a single sitting, and way too much time spent dining, plus the hassle of making sure we were in the right place at the right time for reservations. And I did have to keep track of which credits should be used where.

I can see how it can work if you're someone who doesn't care about the "value" and just wants to have it prepaid and not have to think about it. But I can't turn off the "thinking about it" switch, so I am not that person!

I priced the meals I'd like to enjoy (TS & a couple of signature dining restaurants) and learned that the cost for the 2 of us on the DDP is exorbitant compared to our OOP estimated cost. We definitely will not be purchasing the new DDP.

We were hardcore DDP fans, but these last few years forcing us to go without it has made us realize we didn’t miss it as much as we thought we would. Now that the price has risen so much and the fact that my 10 year is now a disney adult, we won’t be adding the dining plan this year either.

Looks like they are offering 50% off kids Dining Plans for 4 night stays or more next spring. Would these discounts apply to DVC?

Looks like they are offering 50% off kids Dining Plans for 4 night stays or more next spring. Would these discounts apply to DVC?

They won’t apply to those on a DVC points reservation.

However, anyone, including DVC owners can certainly purchase a cash package.

While I haven't yet done any research, I am wondering if the all-around price increases on almost every food and beverage item across WDW will make the DDP a bit more attractive. Heck! If an average snack costs $6.50+ (Mickey’s Premium Ice Cream Bar and Sandwich), that could make a difference to folks who enjoy the snacks (especially for the QS plan.)

While I haven't yet done any research, I am wondering if the all-around price increases on almost every food and beverage item across WDW will make the DDP a bit more attractive. Heck! If an average snack costs $6.50+ (Mickey’s Premium Ice Cream Bar and Sandwich), that could make a difference to folks who enjoy the snacks (especially for the QS plan.)
Nope, still not a good deal.

Having done the math, the ONLY way you can possibly come out ahead on the dining plan now is to do all of the following:
  • Have an alcoholic drink with every meal
  • Order one the most expensive items on the menu
  • Do not go to all you care to enjoy type meals
  • Do not do the set menus where you pay a set price for two or three courses.
  • Get the refillable mug
  • Get the most expensive snack options you can find.
  • Use every single credit
And even then it isn't a guarantee.

Thanks for saving me the research time. I still will not be taking advantage of the DDP. I recognize that there are some travelers that like it because they budget for the plan and do not have to spend any more cash on food, but it is still a definite no for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter