Dining discounts and plans for DVC Members

Which dining "discount" cards or plans do you use?

• DVC Discount

Votes: 117 54.2%
  • Disney Dining Plan

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • Tables in Wonderland

Votes: 132 61.1%
  • None

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Does anyone know this answer:
our TIW expires on November 30, 2014 if we re-new our card will expire on what date??? Dec 30, 2016 or Dec 1, 2016. We are trying to figure if it is 12 months or 13 months.

if you are going to get a 10% discount anyway at most places you eat with your dvc/ap pass, then you need to spend $1500 before breaking even on the tiw, right? At this point the difference between the two options is the discount on alcohol, which can be significant after a few days at ts restaurants.
I have never considered the tiw as I don't eat often enough on property. One thing having that large discount may do is encourage me to try some of the onsite restaurants. a 20% discount makes the prices more palatable.

if you are going to get a 10% discount anyway at most places you eat with your dvc/ap pass, then you need to spend $1500 before breaking even on the tiw, right? At this point the difference between the two options is the discount on alcohol, which can be significant after a few days at ts restaurants.
I have never considered the tiw as I don't eat often enough on property. One thing having that large discount may do is encourage me to try some of the onsite restaurants. a 20% discount makes the prices more palatable.
Last time I checked, the TiW discount was offered at three times as many places as the DVC discount.

TIW was blacked out last night, but we still got the 10% DVC discount at Artist Point. Well, we added it to our servers tip!

We have used TIW for a number of years. The number of restaurants is so much greater, includes B, L, and D. Plus it includes drinks, appetizers & alcohol.

For example: Two weeks ago we went to the Rainforest Cafe -- no TIW card, but AP and DVC (at 10%). However, its only on the entree. We had four people, one appetizer, four entrees, no alcohol. The bill was about $110 -- discount amounted to $7. With TIW, it would have been $20 or so.

The 10% discount from AP and DVC is not always half of TIW -- it is often less than half.

mac_tlc

In the past we always got the TiW; but with the increase in price (and thus subsequent increase in $ spent requirement to hit a savings) I need to recalculate.

Since we are gong 2x this year though, I'm pretty sure TiW will probably win out for us.

We go with the TIW. We only go to WDW once every other July, but we stay for 10 nights and almost all our meals are TS. DH and I also enjoy a glass of wine or a drink with dinner practically every night, or sometimes with lunch if we are at Epcot, and the discount is for alcohol as well. We don't do much CS because we find it much easier with DS11's multiple food allergies to eat TS. We are more comfortable that way. We have also found that TS ends up taking the same amount of time anyway as CS. So the TIW card works for us. Sometimes also, I like to get two appetizers as my meal and then I know the discount covers it.

In the last I've looked into the deluxe dining plan but it is just too much food for us, we don't always eat 3 courses, and alcohol is still out of pocket with no discount. And for 4 people in 10 nights, I couldn't think of what we would do with 80 snacks! It is also a lot more expensive (for us) than paying for the TIW and each meal and snack. We only go to one or two signatures on each trip too, and so the deluxe dining plan is just too many meals. But the regular DDP has too much CS for us that would be wasted credits.

Every time we go the TIW works out perfectly for us.

Hi all,

I'm just trying to get into understand renting DVC points for a future vacation (probably not until 2018). We usually get DDP. If I rent my points from someone (let's say, hypothetically, from someone on the DIS), does that mean that person has to book my dining plan as well? I'm just not sure if that's how it works in terms of getting the dining plan and then do I have to go book all my reservations? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, just trying to figure everythign out!

Dining is a big part of the Disney experience for us. We got the DDP a long time ago, when our kids were young (still "Disney kids") and it was a true value - tips included and you could exchange a dessert for an appetizer. Once they changed the plan and our kids got older, we converted to TIW. We typically eat one TS per day, or at least 6 TS for an 8 day trip, and we like the flexibility of ordering what we want. (I'm sure I put on a few extra pounds eating dessert at lunch AND dinner - just because it was included!) With the TIW, we order less food when we're less hungry and also enjoy wine with dinner from time to time. We probably spend about $1,500 a trip (pre-discount) on meals, so it works for us. Granted, it was a much better value when TIW was $75 or $100, but we still come out ahead.

Hi all,

I'm just trying to get into understand renting DVC points for a future vacation (probably not until 2018). We usually get DDP. If I rent my points from someone (let's say, hypothetically, from someone on the DIS), does that mean that person has to book my dining plan as well? I'm just not sure if that's how it works in terms of getting the dining plan and then do I have to go book all my reservations? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, just trying to figure everythign out!

The DVC owner would have to contact DVC to add the DDP for you. It is paid for at the time of booking the plan. With DVC, the DDP has to be booked a minimum of 48 hours prior to arrival, although the owner would likely want adequate notice to make time to call and add it to the reservation. You still make all of your ADR's through your MDE account.

The DVC owner would have to contact DVC to add the DDP for you. It is paid for at the time of booking the plan. With DVC, the DDP has to be booked a minimum of 48 hours prior to arrival, although the owner would likely want adequate notice to make time to call and add it to the reservation. You still make all of your ADR's through your MDE account.

Thank you! So I guess I would pay the DVC owner for that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!