Diet & Cruise

pppiglet said:
New countdown timer....but I'll never know how many days and hours til I go on my cruise! Yeah right!

I'm a newbie. How do you get a countdown timer????? Thanks in advance!

Jhalkias said:
OK, I have a very serious question for those of you who work out while on the cruise to keep up your routine . . .

I pack enough clothes as it is to go on vacation - and I am a BIG "sweater". I perspire quite a bit, and currently lose about 3lbs in my 30 minute workout just in fluids.

So you can imagine, my shirt, my shorts, and my socks are totally soaked and "polluted" by the time I am done. So what do you do with the dirty laundry??? I'm on vacation, and don't want to do daily laundry OR store sweaty clothes in a small stateroom.

So what do you guys do - or don't you sweat????

John :confused3

All the extra clothes have been a concern for me too. I've decided to bring a couple of pairs of shorts for exercising. For my shirts I will wear a t-shirt that I wore the day before (not for exercising). That way I can get an extra use from the shirt. I'm also thinking I'm either going to do laundry or send the clothes out to be cleaned. Just my exercise clothes. I'll see how things look when I pack.

Grammiegail - I'll definitely root you on!! We are on the same cruise and I would like to drop 10 lbs. before then!! Let's weigh in once a week online (I will just note if I dropped any weight - not how much I actually weigh :rotfl:

Just think how much better we will feel if we can wear pretty clothes and feel good and look good in them on the cruise!! I keep trying to concentrate on a great dress for formal night in a nice size. I've lost 44 lbs. in the last 14 months and 60 lbs. since I had my baby 19 months ago (and I only gained 25 lbs. with my pregnancy - obviously I started out way too heavy ;)

Good luck to you this week. I'm going to the gym tomorrow!! I can be such a slug, gotta get a move on!!

Hope you had a great Easter

Sue, wow! You are awesome! Well, I kept to my word - 30 minutes of aerobic/toning and ate sensibly. On day down, 60 more to go. Any one else want to join the "getting fit/healthy/sexy for the cruise" club?

Couple choices--either pack heavy w/ lots of workout clothes, or pack a few and do laundry (not desireable) or go ahead and splurge and pack a few and have laundry done for you at cost. In law school, when study period and exams hit, i used to just bite the bullet and take my clothes to the wash & fold service and fork over the $ as the price of my convenience during a short time period. Its just a week.

2 days down and still hanging in there....30 minutes of aerobics in the morning and 30 minutes of just plain walking around in the afternoon with sensible eating. Only 59 more to go. :jumping2:

I've been posting in the DIS WISH (We’re Inspired to Stay Healthy) boards. It's a great place for inspiration and to track your progress (in the journals section). They usually have several challenges going on - I've signed up for April's exercise challenge (1000 minutes of exercise in April) and the Summer Challenge (set a weight loss goal for June 21st - the 1st day of summer).

Come check it out!

Hey Big Al --

I have also been dieting and lost 25 pds. since November. During that time, I went on a 3 day cruise, then there were the holidays, etc etc.
I am nervous, too. But, I didnt gain anything :cool1: while on my other cruise. I ate only 2 meals a day like everyone else suggested and honestly didnt really walk alot. It was a pure relaxation cruise.

SO, it can be done!!! We can do it!!! Deb :cheer2:

Vow to never, ever, ever set foot in an elevator on the cruise. Take the stairs everywhere, no matter how tired you are. I have been on many cruises, but have never seen the inside of a ship's elevator... (even when carrying my own bags on board when there was a luggage screw-up in Boston)... the stairs will burn off a lot of excess calories!!

OK,

I just want to know how many of you "no elevator" folks have 5 year olds who love pushing buttons - or watching the world go by out the window of a rising elevator!

When on my own, it is easy, but with my 5 year old, dog gone near impossible to avoid the elevator!

John

Jhalkias said:
OK,

I just want to know how many of you "no elevator" folks have 5 year olds who love pushing buttons - or watching the world go by out the window of a rising elevator!

When on my own, it is easy, but with my 5 year old, dog gone near impossible to avoid the elevator!

John

My kids have been brought up from day 1 that its always better (and most of the time FASTER) to take the stairs. Elevators have never been an item of fascination for them.

Does anyone have experience with running onboard. I'm currently running about 14 miles a week don't want to loose those gains either. I guess in part it depends on how rough the seas are as to how difficult it would be. Is the jogging track on deck 4? What hours are you allowed to run?

Not sure of hours--it is not always open (one morning was heading around and when I got to the fore section, where the "track" goes inside the hull as it turns, it was blocked off completely for cleaning. There is also a slight down slope going into that section and then an upslope when you reemerge on the Port side of the ship. I was walking, there were those who were definitely jogging/running. Gets narrow in places, especially the aft turn.

:confused3 I have a question. I started a diet 2 weeks ago. I have busted my hump on the treadmill (3x a day) and watched what I eat VERY closely. I just weighed myself and I haven't lost ANYTHING!! Or gained for that matter. It is very frustrating. I don't know why this is. Anyway...I don't see how you can gain weight on a 7 day cruise in that short of time. If I can't lose an ounce in 2 weeks.....how can someone gain? BTW....this diet biz is all new to me so most likely I haven't a clue about losing weight. :confused3

My kids have been brought up from day 1 that its always better (and most of the time FASTER) to take the stairs. Elevators have never been an item of fascination for them.

I’m writing this with a bit of trepidation, because my original intent was not to be critical, but to point out what I have seen and perceived as a truism with kids, elevators, and curiosity.

I know that everyone is clamoring about overweight children, but my children have always been taught from day 1 to have curiosity, and to wonder about things, how they work, and to experience different things (safe things). I have used the elevator on the ship as a game, as a way to teach numbers, and just as a way to be in awe of the beautiful ship that is the Disney Magic – especially the midship elevators that rise above the atrium. We also make the stairs a game too, and can have fun going up and down those.

I’m sorry if I offended any politically correct idea of what is acceptable. Elevators are not a bad thing in and of themselves, and I must admit, if I am really tired, I may take the elevator instead of the stairs. I’m sure that it would also burn more calories to swim instead of taking the ship, but I am sure no one would advocate that.

One of the fondest cruise memories I have is of waiting for the elevator with my then four year old midship, and the doors opening to reveal Mickey and Minnie going up with a CM for a show on deck 9. My daughter’s eyes were like saucers as the CM told us to come on in for a ride, and my DD hugged Mickey and Minnie on the way up – and I didn’t have my camera!

Big Al, I have seen people running at all times on Deck 4 – I am also going about 14 miles per week, but because of my concerns over laundry and time, I don’t know if I will keep it up while on the ship. Good luck to you if you do, and if your sailing is before mine (December 10), let me know how it goes!

Unfortunately, it is very hard to lose weight with exercise alone. To lose one pound of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories. If running (an excellent aerobic exercise) you burn somewhere from 100 to 170 calories a mile depending on your level of exertion. You will also burn calories for a time after an intensive workout. But one desert on a cruise may easily exceed 1000 calories or the equivalent of running 8-10 miles to offset.

The other factor is an individual’s own innate metabolic rate. As we grow older our metabolism slows. If we eat the same amount at 50 as we did at 40 and don't change our amount of exercise we will slowly gain weight.

Also don't worry so much about weight. Look more at measurement in abdominal circumference. Studies show a close correlation between risks for coronary artery disease, hypertension, and diabetes as waist size (measured at the belly button) exceeds 38 inches.

Your weight will also very with increasing muscle mass as it replaces the fat. Muscle weighs more than fat.
Also you will see transient fluctuations in weight based on how hydrated you are. It is best to measure and weight without clothes first thing in the morning about once a week. You should not try to lose more than 1-11/2 pounds a week max.

Great answer Big Al, you beat me to the punch.

One quick question for you - if you know - My treadmill allows you to input age, weight, etc. then "supposedly" tells you how many calories you've burned in your workout. My 1/2 hour started at 389, and I have now gotten up to 522 by increasing pace and incline, etc. I am up to about 2 miles for the 1/2 hour.

Is this thing at all accurate, or am I kidding myself?

Thanks,

John

I have my doubts as to the likelyhood that you are actually burning those kind of calories in that short a time. However, I do know that Lance Armstrong needed approx. 10,000 calories a day while competing in the Tour De France. But he was covering hundreds of miles a day, exerting maximum effort.

You can find alot of answers to those kinds of questions at coolrunning.com. They also have an extensive discussion board.

Jhalkias said:
I’m writing this with a bit of trepidation, because my original intent was not to be critical, but to point out what I have seen and perceived as a truism with kids, elevators, and curiosity.

I know that everyone is clamoring about overweight children, but my children have always been taught from day 1 to have curiosity, and to wonder about things, how they work, and to experience different things (safe things). I have used the elevator on the ship as a game, as a way to teach numbers, and just as a way to be in awe of the beautiful ship that is the Disney Magic – especially the midship elevators that rise above the atrium. We also make the stairs a game too, and can have fun going up and down those.

I’m sorry if I offended any politically correct idea of what is acceptable. Elevators are not a bad thing in and of themselves, and I must admit, if I am really tired, I may take the elevator instead of the stairs. I’m sure that it would also burn more calories to swim instead of taking the ship, but I am sure no one would advocate that.

One of the fondest cruise memories I have is of waiting for the elevator with my then four year old midship, and the doors opening to reveal Mickey and Minnie going up with a CM for a show on deck 9. My daughter’s eyes were like saucers as the CM told us to come on in for a ride, and my DD hugged Mickey and Minnie on the way up – and I didn’t have my camera!

Wow... I wasn't trying to start anything about kids and elevators... I thought I responded to a post regarding diet/exercise and cruising...

(besides the fact that my petrified-of-heights DS would rather die than have to ride in a glass elevator, but that's beside the point).

Sorry I caused such an uproar...

I'm currently beginning to train for a 5k in June and if successful my next target is the Disney 1/2 marathon in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter