Did I Hear That Right? A Solo Adventure at WDW Updated 8/30

I rode the new test track 3 times all on the single rider line. My card only worked the first time and then I skipped that part my third time. I really enjoy that ride, but I don't mind skipping the car making part.

When we went after Thanksgiving... Test Track opened the day we left.... my son in law tried to talk us into adding another day to the tickets so we could ride... He rode about 20 times that day!
(Nope, we had to spend an hour and a half waiting for our breakfast ADR at O'Hana....)

Nini

I'm sorry you still weren't feeling well when you went to Epcot and that you weren't quite feeling the magic.

I do love your photopass pictures, and I can certainly see that you are "holding up Spaceship Earth" in that last one.

As you know, I found the new Test Track to be "MEH" myself. It's not something that I will feel I have to do every trip now. And if you are saying it was hot when you were there in line, I imagine that August will be brutal.

I think I need to start my trips at MK from now on, that's really my park and where I feel the magic the most. The stomach ache was entirely my fault. I ate very badly right before the trip and I should have known better.

I'm not sure why at this point that the CM had me put my arms up. I do look like I'm trying to hold up Spaceship Earth though. :rotfl:

I still think I'll ride TT every trip, I still like the ride part, I just didn't like the line.

Aw man, not feeling the magic!? That sucks! Hopefully it picks up! I find that whenever I can, I head straight to MK when I get there to really solidify everything.

I have to say I’ll be using fast passes and single rider line for TT from now on, the whole “design your car” thing just holds up the line way too much and I get bored super quickly, haha! Overall I have to completely agree with you, the new TT was like Tron, and just not as good as the old one, I wasn’t too impressed, especially with how long it was down for! Paige and I also didn’t stop in the interactive stuff at all, it just seems like you could be doing something better in Disney!

Yep, MK is going to have to be my first park from now on! I was just not feeling Epcot at all this trip.

I may go through the regular line one time (if I ever come across it when it's short) just to see what it's all about but I think it will be a FP ride for me too from now on.

Totally agree....MK is always our first stop. Regardless of the day, crowd, weather....Magic Kingdom is #1 in our hearts!

I hope you found the magic ASAP!

TWO WEEKS from today I will be in the car heading to the airport! AHHHHHH! I can't wait to ride the new Test Track!! I was actually one of the (seemingly few) who wasn't too impressed with the old version anyway :( Wasn't bad, but it wasn't one of those "gotta ride it" rides, ya know????

Yep, MK all the way for the first day. I've already got our first day for October planned out and we will be going straight there.

Have a wonderful trip! I'm jealous! You may want to try to hit TT first thing. I never saw it with less than an hour wait.

What a bummer that you weren't feeling well.

Thanks for doing such an in depth review of the new TT... I have not taken the liberty to go out and do any research on the changes - as a matter of fact - I'd even forgotten it was refurbed. So, everything I know about it is just what you've written. ;)

Loved the Cousin It photo! LOL

And I did chuckle at the photo in front of SSE that you weren't going to post. LOL Thanks for that. :)

D~

Last time I eat Zaxby's the night before a trip. Awesome chicken tenders and fries but extremely salty. I love them but they don't always love me back.

You're welcome on the TT review. I knew a lot of people hadn't gotten to ride it yet so I took lots of pictures and notes so I could write about it.

I got some interesting pictures this trip, that's for sure! I've got some great ride photos with "titles" coming up so stay tuned....

I need to get Hailey a kid sized version of ur Pluto shirt!!!!! where'd u get that ????

The Pluto shirt was a custom made job. I can e-mail the person who made it for me and ask them if I can give out their information. Just let me know if you would like me to do that.

I really want to try new TT at least once. There are elements about the redesign I think I will really like, and some I'm afraid I won't.

I always try everything once no matter what I've read about it. Just because other people hate something, doesn't mean I will. There's quite a few things at Disney that I love that get a lot of dislike on here!

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually LOVE the new Test Track. What I do not love, however, is where the ride photo is now located, which is outside towards the beginning of the speed portion. It especially sucks in the morning when you have the sun in your eyes.

I hope you got to feel the magic soon enough.

I liked the ride part, I had more issues with the line. And the whole design thing didn't really interest me. As you saw by the ride photo, I wasn't too thrilled with the camera location either!

Don't worry, the trip got loads better after the first bit.

hahaha your "cousin it" photo made me laugh out loud! :rotfl:
too bad you weren't feeling the magic yet at this point in your trip :( I'm hoping the pixie dust will kick in maybe in your next post!
Also - loved all your ASMu pictures! DBF and I stayed in Calypso in October and we too had intended to explore the whole resort but then ended up forgetting! oops:rolleyes1

That was a great picture, wasn't it? Well, at least for the laughs I knew it would get. The couple that was in the car with me got a good laugh when they saw it.

Pixie Dust did kick in eventually and I had a wonderful trip.

I didn't forget about exploring the rest of the resort. I planned on doing it the last day before I left but I didn't get my lazy butt out of bed in time to do it!

I rode the new test track 3 times all on the single rider line. My card only worked the first time and then I skipped that part my third time. I really enjoy that ride, but I don't mind skipping the car making part.

I've read in several places that people were having trouble getting their cars to show up. I did ride it again later in the week but didn't bother with the design since it didn't work the first time.

When we went after Thanksgiving... Test Track opened the day we left.... my son in law tried to talk us into adding another day to the tickets so we could ride... He rode about 20 times that day!
(Nope, we had to spend an hour and a half waiting for our breakfast ADR at O'Hana....)

Nini

I think Mom and I missed the opening by one day. We were at Epcot on Thursday and also for a bit on Saturday morning. I stalked the area by TT but it was never open while we were there.

An hour and a half wait for an ADR? :scared1: Yuck!

I'm here!! I'm glad that I didn't miss too much! I am so impressed by solo trips because it is just not something that I could do. I would love to be able to go around as slow as I wanted taking pictures though :rotfl: What a great location at ASMu! It looks very quiet. I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip :)

We left on Monday...on Sunday they had limited (in other words mainly cast members) riders... My son in law and daughter were going to try and hit their favorite rides on the last day, but ended up staying at Epcot so he could continually ride TT...over and over and over...My daughter had to spend the day sitting in her scooter... she was 4 months pregnant and they were being overly cautious.....

Did I mention my DS is special needs and has issues waiting? So totally not fun....and yuck...that is putting it mildly...especially when we finally got in and the restaurant was almost empty!

Nini

Just stopping by to wish you a...

Easter-3.jpg

D~

I'm here!! I'm glad that I didn't miss too much! I am so impressed by solo trips because it is just not something that I could do. I would love to be able to go around as slow as I wanted taking pictures though :rotfl: What a great location at ASMu! It looks very quiet. I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip :)

Yay! Glad you found the TR. I have traveled a lot on my own so I was fine with being there solo. My goal this trip was to slow down but as you'll see I never really did that.

I was very happy with my location at ASMu.

We left on Monday...on Sunday they had limited (in other words mainly cast members) riders... My son in law and daughter were going to try and hit their favorite rides on the last day, but ended up staying at Epcot so he could continually ride TT...over and over and over...My daughter had to spend the day sitting in her scooter... she was 4 months pregnant and they were being overly cautious.....

Did I mention my DS is special needs and has issues waiting? So totally not fun....and yuck...that is putting it mildly...especially when we finally got in and the restaurant was almost empty!

Nini

Yep, we did miss it by one day then!

I bet that was so frustrating waiting when it doesn't seem like you really needed to.

Just stopping by to wish you a...

Easter-3.jpg

D~

Thanks! Same to you and your family.

Before I start this update, I just want to ask everyone to bear with me through this first day. I feel like I’m complaining a lot and I don’t want that to turn anyone off. I just didn’t have the best first day and I like to be completely honest with my experience. Starting the following morning, the rest of the trip was totally wonderful.

As I walked towards World Showcase, I noticed that there were already some flowers out for the Flower and Garden Festival:

094_zps9ea67861.jpg

095_zps8386735a.jpg

096_zpsb5a6dcdf.jpg

097_zps983a96e7.jpg

098_zpscc5377fa.jpg

099_zps599383c5.jpg

I headed into the Mexico pavilion and took some pictures. I had played with my camera before this trip and had figured out how to get some pictures in darker areas. I had a lot more success on this trip with pictures:

100_zps203b2d03.jpg

101_zpsbdf6f269.jpg

102_zps4588a4b4.jpg

I headed here to visit Donald:

103_zpsc5b60c1b.jpg

There was actually a small line but I waited less than 5 minutes.

104_zps0e4777ae.jpg

105_zps03c6c1a2.jpg

Pictures from my ride:

107_zps5b354a67.jpg

108_zpsdc348d27.jpg

109_zps7dd0c4bd.jpg

110_zpsba779be8.jpg

111_zps9b235243.jpg

I tried to get some pictures of the “fireworks” at the end because that’s one of my favorite parts of the ride. But none of them came out.

After my boat ride, I spent some time shopping in the marketplace. I looked at earrings in Arribas Brothers. I wanted to get a new pair this trip because you can never have too many pairs of Disney earrings. I didn’t find anything that jumped out at me and figured they would have a larger selection at DTD or MK. I also looked for the hot sauce I had gotten for DH in November. I was going to get him another bottle because he finished the first one in less than a week but they didn’t have any for sale this trip.

Shopping done, I headed out and on towards Norway.

Continued in next Post

Probably not the best idea with my stomach bothering me, I stopped on the way to Norway and got one of these babies:

113_zps54aa02b9.jpg

It’s a Fiesta Margarita and the flavors from top to bottom are lime, mango and strawberry. I walked towards Norway and looked for a bench to sit on for a minute but there weren’t any empty ones. So I stood along the railing by the water. I was having an awful time trying to drink it because it was melting fast and it was so windy my hair kept getting in the way. It was extremely windy, check out the waves in these pictures:

114_zpsc1d5d6ec.jpg

115_zpse6967d48.jpg

116_zpsd0dcca88.jpg

I got through about half of the margarita and then started feeling a bit nauseous. So I did the unthinkable and threw the rest out. I will say that while I really liked the strawberry part, the lime and mango did nothing for me. I’m glad I tried this one but next time I think I will get one that is all strawberry.

I headed into the Norway pavilion and looked for things to photograph. I had challenged myself this trip to try to photograph things I had never seen in someone else’s TR. I’m not sure how well I did because while I’ve read a lot of TR’s I certainly haven’t read them all. I took the next picture because I had never seen it before:

117_zps76a43e1f.jpg

A few more pictures of Norway that aren’t as unique:

118_zpse8f65114.jpg

119_zps3b254f8c.jpg

120_zps4c4c21e5.jpg

121_zps6a3d4fc2.jpg

I was headed here:

122_zpsed2613d1.jpg

The wait time says 15 minutes but the line was out the door. I decided to get in line any way because I had time and I had missed riding Maelstrom in November. I think I actually waited closer to 30 minutes. The line for this ride is a bit boring, isn’t it?

123_zps26b6b6fe.jpg

124_zpsc851bc67.jpg

I think I tried to get some pictures on the ride but it was too dark and they didn’t turn out.

I spent a few minutes in the dump shop, here’s everyone’s favorite guy (well, probably not):

127_zps63be0b5d.jpg

I really liked this shirt and came close to buying it. I probably would have if it wasn’t white. I just don’t like wearing white shirts.

128_zpsf26c31d6.jpg

I also stopped in the Norway bakery. I had seen a chocolate mousse cake that someone had gotten in another TR and despite not feeling the all that well, I was going to get a piece. I figured I could eat a few bites and save the rest for later. But they no longer have that cake. They have some kind of new mousse cake shaped like a Viking helmet. It had what looked like either coconut or shaved nuts on it, neither of which I will eat. It was probably for the best with the way I was feeling but I was still sad.

As I headed out of Norway and towards China, I noticed that they had already put up some of the topiary for the Flower and Garden Festival. Here’s what they had for Norway:

129_zps343f13f7.jpg

Up Next: Will My Pearl be Small Enough This Time?

Good Morning Ariana!!!! I saw that you were on here, and have been stalking your page to see if you would add an update! :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Don't worry about sounding like a Debbie Downer for your first day report...remember I had to report about a fiesty squirrel and terrible service at a certain DTD restaurant for our first day report from March last year. :thumbsup2 We follow your reports because we know you :lovestruc Disney as much as we do. We know it is NOT your intention to bash Disney at all. :goodvibes

That looked like it could have been a candy corn margarita! Now THAT would be some good stuff! :lmao:

The line for Maelstrom is quite boring. The mural were you board is nice, but you can only stare at that so long too.

I like the pictures of the topiary and flowers they were putting out for the festival. I definitely want to go during it one year as I love those sort of things. :goodvibes

Great update! Your photos of the flowers are really pretty and you did a great job with the Mexico photos. I love that you set a goal to take unique pictures too - I try and take pictures on each trip that I have never taken before (although I still end up with a million castle pictures from every trip :rotfl2:). I hope that your stomach didn't continue to bother you!

I'm certainly not going to complain about the beginning of your TR not being so magical, given how my trip started as well. I'm glad to read it got better though.

The line for Maelstrom has got to be one of the most boring queue at Disney. Luckily, I've never had to wait in it.

Aw man, dont worry about not having a magical experience right away, I've had entire trips that way, bahah!

I have to say, it's rare that I actually will finish an entire fiesta margarita, they're huge, and it's a lot to drink with how strong it is and not being able to go on any rides with them haha.

Can't say I've been on Malestorm since my first trip...lol...maybe that'll happen again next time?

I'm following along so that I can live vicariously through you...it'll be a while before I take a solo (or even adults only) trip! We've stayed at All Star Movies before...the decor there is a bit louder, I'd say! :) Looking forward to hearing more!

Good Morning Ariana!!!! I saw that you were on here, and have been stalking your page to see if you would add an update! :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Don't worry about sounding like a Debbie Downer for your first day report...remember I had to report about a fiesty squirrel and terrible service at a certain DTD restaurant for our first day report from March last year. :thumbsup2 We follow your reports because we know you :lovestruc Disney as much as we do. We know it is NOT your intention to bash Disney at all. :goodvibes

That looked like it could have been a candy corn margarita! Now THAT would be some good stuff! :lmao:

I'm almost always on the DIS during the day at work. I usually leave it open and just check it once in a while. But I did do an update that day. I wonder if you are stalking right now waiting on another update? :rotfl:

I actually found your squirrel story quite funny. Well once I found out that Gabe was ok in the end.

I does look like Candy Corn doesn't it! I think I might have liked that better than the lime and mango.

The line for Maelstrom is quite boring. The mural were you board is nice, but you can only stare at that so long too.

I like the pictures of the topiary and flowers they were putting out for the festival. I definitely want to go during it one year as I love those sort of things. :goodvibes

That line is a little rough to stand in. I usually don't get in it unless it's short but I really wanted to ride this trip and didn't know if I'd be back by or not.

I went for Flower and Garden in 2011 and it was beautiful! I'm probably going to be back in May 2014. I'm looking forward to the food booths because they didn't have those in 2011.

Great update! Your photos of the flowers are really pretty and you did a great job with the Mexico photos. I love that you set a goal to take unique pictures too - I try and take pictures on each trip that I have never taken before (although I still end up with a million castle pictures from every trip :rotfl2:). I hope that your stomach didn't continue to bother you!

I know what you mean by a million pictures of the castle! I do that with Spaceship Earth too. I'm just compelled to take pictures of those for some reason.

Luckily my stomach settled down later that evening.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the beginning of your TR not being so magical, given how my trip started as well. I'm glad to read it got better though.

The line for Maelstrom has got to be one of the most boring queue at Disney. Luckily, I've never had to wait in it.

I'm glad you don't mind the TR not being so magical. I just worry that people will be turned off but I don't want to lie either.

That was the first time I've waited a while for Maelstrom.

Aw man, dont worry about not having a magical experience right away, I've had entire trips that way, bahah!

I have to say, it's rare that I actually will finish an entire fiesta margarita, they're huge, and it's a lot to drink with how strong it is and not being able to go on any rides with them haha.

Can't say I've been on Malestorm since my first trip...lol...maybe that'll happen again next time?

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has throw out part of a fiesta margarita. There was just no way I could have finished the whole thing at that point.

I like Maestrom for the cheesiness! Maybe you'll get on it again one of thse days.

I'm following along so that I can live vicariously through you...it'll be a while before I take a solo (or even adults only) trip! We've stayed at All Star Movies before...the decor there is a bit louder, I'd say! :) Looking forward to hearing more!

:cheer2: Welcome! (the actual welcome smiley is not showing up for me right now so that will have to do). Glad you can live through me. I really enjoyed the solo trip and can't wait to do it again. The only part of All Star Movies that I got a good look at was the front. My goal is to eventually stay at all the values and moderates so I'm sure I'll end up there someday.

Great TR.:cool1:Your furbabbies are adorable.

Thanks for joining in! :cool1: I think my babies are adorable too. :rotfl:

I headed into China with one goal in mind. First a few pictures:

130_zpsf1045743.jpg

131_zps31962227.jpg

132_zpse5c72ed5.jpg

I wanted to see the China movie so I could check it off my list. It was the only World Showcase movie I had never seen. I just missed a show so I walked around and checked out the waiting area.

133_zpscaea3537.jpg

134_zps729b3323.jpg

135_zpsf4b1fcbe.jpg

136_zps5554727e.jpg

I only walked around for a few minutes then decided to crash on one of the benches. I had been having some trouble with my hip and it was starting to hurt a bit. It ended up plaguing me the whole trip but I never let it stop me from doing anything. When I got home, I finally went to my doctor to find out what is wrong. She sent me to a hip specialist who sent me to a bone specialist. I’ve got an appointment next week with the bone specialist so hopefully I’ll have answers soon.

So I watched the China Movie and thought it was ok. Probably my least favorite of the World Showcase movies. But at least I can now say I’ve seen them all.

I spent a few minutes in the dump shop. I love the little doggie outfits they have for sale. If my Sierra was more of a girly dog and they weren’t so expensive, I might have brought one home for her.

On my way out of China, I spotted this dragon topiary. He was really cool and breathed “steam” as you can see in the photo.

137_zps0debddcb.jpg

I realized at that point that I was running a little short on time. I stepped up the pace a bit and only stopped in Germany, Italy and America to get a few pictures. I was on a mission and needed to make sure I had time to complete it. First though I took picture number one million of Spaceship Earth.

138_zps39ac861b.jpg

A couple of pictures from Germany.

139_zpsf5cf5521.jpg

141_zps8c63fc79.jpg

I never noticed these guys on top of the one building before. He’s kind of strange and the cod piece is very interesting.

140_zps02cdb7f9.jpg

I think I took this next picture to show the crowd levels or maybe I just took it by accident, who knows?

142_zpsd5e4e220.jpg

They had Snow White & the 7 Dwarves Topiaries. I only got four of the Dwarfs because there was a little girl standing in front of the other three and she wasn’t about to move for me or any of the other picture takers.

143_zpsbcbc889b.jpg

144_zpsa78230e8.jpg

Continued in Next Post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter