• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did I Hear That Right? A Solo Adventure at WDW Updated 8/30

I had zero interest in ever staying at All-Stars Music, but looking at your pictures it looks kinda cute. It wouldn't be my number 1 choice, but if the price was right maybe I'd try it.

I'm in! I love to listen in to conversations too!:thumbsup2 I'm especially looking forward to reading those quotes.

There is something about solo trip reports that draws me in. I think it's be cause I'm immensely jealous most times. hahahah. We stayed in a Family Suite on our last trip, so seeing these pictures really brings it all back for me.

140 days now....I can't wait.

Maestro Mickey's?!!!!??!!!??? Best name EVER. I need to get over there during my long trip to see if there is any music Mickey stuff!!!

I had zero interest in ever staying at All-Stars Music, but looking at your pictures it looks kinda cute. It wouldn't be my number 1 choice, but if the price was right maybe I'd try it.

The resort was cute. I think I'll end up back there for future solo trips because it's cheaper and I'm not in my room enough to warrent paying more.

I'm in! I love to listen in to conversations too!:thumbsup2 I'm especially looking forward to reading those quotes.

:welcome: Thanks for reading.

There is something about solo trip reports that draws me in. I think it's be cause I'm immensely jealous most times. hahahah. We stayed in a Family Suite on our last trip, so seeing these pictures really brings it all back for me.

140 days now....I can't wait.

:welcome: 140 days isn't too bad, you'll be there before you know it. I'm at 200 days for my next trip.

Maestro Mickey's?!!!!??!!!??? Best name EVER. I need to get over there during my long trip to see if there is any music Mickey stuff!!!

I don't remember if they had any music Mickey stuff. They could have though, I'm ususally honed in on anything Pluto so I could have missed something.

Totally in...we were actually there the same time you were. I think I might of actually seen you at Magic Kingdom :)

Excited to read more! I actually did my very first solo this past January! I also stayed at All star Music in the Calypso building. I had an amazing trip and I look forward to reading more of yours! :goodvibes

Totally in...we were actually there the same time you were. I think I might of actually seen you at Magic Kingdom :)

:welcome: Glad you are reading! You should have come over and said hi! Of course if it wasn't me, that would have been a bit awkward. :rotfl:

Excited to read more! I actually did my very first solo this past January! I also stayed at All star Music in the Calypso building. I had an amazing trip and I look forward to reading more of yours! :goodvibes

:welcome: Did you enjoy your solo trip? the Calypso section was very cute. I thought about paying the extra to stay there but I didn't want to be too near the pool in case it was noisy. That didn't happen because of the weather.

:welcome: Glad you are reading! You should have come over and said hi! Of course if it wasn't me, that would have been a bit awkward. :rotfl:

:welcome: Did you enjoy your solo trip? the Calypso section was very cute. I thought about paying the extra to stay there but I didn't want to be too near the pool in case it was noisy. That didn't happen because of the weather.

I loved my solo trip! The first day, I had to get used to being there alone and wondered would this be 6 days of silence? Lol. But I got over that feeling quickly and chatted with many friendly people.

I didn't even realize Calypso was preferred. I booked a standard room. I actually requested Jazz or Broadway, but maybe I got a little pixie dust and didn't even realize it! My room was on the 2nd floor facing the parking lot, so it was very quiet.

I loved my solo trip! The first day, I had to get used to being there alone and wondered would this be 6 days of silence? Lol. But I got over that feeling quickly and chatted with many friendly people.

I didn't even realize Calypso was preferred. I booked a standard room. I actually requested Jazz or Broadway, but maybe I got a little pixie dust and didn't even realize it! My room was on the 2nd floor facing the parking lot, so it was very quiet.

Awesome! I don't think I felt lonely once on my trip. There are too many freindly people at Disney.

You got a great bit of Pixie Dust if you were in the Calypso building! I was just happy to get the section I requested this time.

When I headed out to the bus stop, it was about 12:50 pm. So where was I headed?

066_zps2e1a5cea.jpg

I was the only one in line for Epcot. Here are some pictures of the different lines and also the front of Classic Hall:

065_zpseddfc2db.jpg

067_zps63d996a4.jpg

068_zpsc2a4d16e.jpg

Here comes my bus!

069_zps69ffe07f.jpg

We made a quick stop at All Star Movies and then it was on to Epcot. There was one other family on the bus besides me.

070_zps885d20c2.jpg

My bus got to Epcot about 1:15 pm. Before I even made it to bag check, I had to stop and take a picture of Spaceship Earth:

071_zpsbc0eb04f.jpg

This was the time when I realized I just wasn’t feeling the magic yet. I was in WDW, I should be half in tears and jumping for joy. But I just wasn’t. I had woken up that morning with a bit of an upset stomach and the Spaghetti hadn’t helped. I figured I would trudge on and the magic would hit me soon enough.

I don’t have anything in my notes about bag checks so I’m assuming it was quick. I got the old slide your card through and then go through a turnstile at the entrance. This was the last time I used one of those.

I stopped immediately for some PP pictures:

Photo0001FourBySix_zps6e8db629.jpg

Photo0003FourBySix_zps97501aae.jpg

I wasn't going to post this next one because I look like a dork but oh well, maybe it will get a good laugh. I was just doing what the CM asked me to do:

Photo0005FourBySix_zps2710944e.jpg

I checked the wait time apps as soon as I was inside the gates. I used both the old Mobile Magic and the My Disney Experience ones this time. They were both spotty but when one was done the other was working. Everything had huge wait times. I remember that Spaceship Earth was 30 minutes and all of the outside lines were in use. I decided to head towards Test Track. It was a beautiful day. I was wearing jeans but a lot of people were in shorts:

073_zps99ce5915.jpg

Getting close to TT:

074_zps2509c51b.jpg

Closer:

075_zps4781790f.jpg

Closer:

076_zps15900736.jpg

Continued in Next Post

The wait time for TT was 80 minutes. I decided to try the single rider line which was only 10 minutes. I knew you didn’t get the full design experience but it wasn’t something I really cared about any way. They did have stations to design a car so I stopped and did one. If you have a RFID ticket, you use that, if not, you have to get a card from the CM there. In the single rider line, you just picked the characteristic you wanted most in a car (I think I picked power) and then they gave you about 10 cars to choose from. I picked this one because I liked the color:

078_zps6e17bc28.jpg

This was the little area where the FP and Single riders could design a car:

079_zps9375498c.jpg

Most people were walking straight through the area without stopping to do a design. A little further along, you could see the room that the people in the regular line designed their cars:

081_zps0e8d8c26.jpg

The fast pass lines and the single rider lines are side by side. Then the regular line comes up and meets the two lines from the side. There was a CM there letting people through. The single rider line continued but the fast pass and regular lines merged so there were now two lines. There were two foreign guys that jumped line from the merged FP/regular line over to the single rider line which was shorter. The CM kind of feebly yelled for them to go back to their regular line but they just kept going. The CM started to go after them but I don’t think he was allowed to leave the podium so he just shrugged and went back to his job.

We continued forward into the two lines and this is the area you see:

082_zps0b42f56c.jpg

About that time I made my first attempt at striking up a conversation in line with a Mom and Daughter ahead of me. They didn’t want to talk so that failed.

A few more pictures from the line:

083_zps593de742.jpg

084_zps4e21d7ce.jpg

It was about that time that I discovered what they had done with the heat section of the ride! Just kidding but it was stifling in that line. I rarely get hot and I was boiling. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like in the hot summer months.

When I got to the front of the line, they sent me to sit in the back seat with a couple. But when I got to the lane, there was some kind of mix-up and there was no one in the front seat of our car. So of course I hopped up front. I scanned my card right before I got in so my car design was loaded.

So, the basic concept of the new TT is that you are riding in a “simulation car”. After each test, there is a screen where your design is compared to the simulation car. Unfortunately my design did not load right and never showed up on the screens. The track is exactly the same as the old version except the color scheme is darker and looks a lot like something from the movie Tron. I could tell where the Hot and Cold rooms used to be and when you are in those rooms, you need to look to the left and right. There are some interesting effects there that I think most people miss because you are looking straight ahead.

Another thing I discovered is that they moved the cameras to either right before or after you go outside. I can’t quite tell from the photo. It did make for an interesting ride photo though, I’ve titled it “Cousin It”:

086_zps98066f3f.jpg

They have a lot of interactive stuff in the dump area. You can get the score for your car by swiping your card. Mine was 192 (whatever that means) and the highest for the day was 232.

087_zps2ddb170c.jpg

They also had virtual race tracks where you could drive your car. As you can see, not too many people were trying that:

088_zpsa4940370.jpg

And they had a display of Chevy cars:

089_zpsca20d13f.jpg

091_zpsec6dbed6.jpg

I’m not much of a car person but I still drooled over this baby for a few minutes:

090_zps4340c94a.jpg

They also changed the design of the dump shop and the Coke area outside:

092_zps02789c30.jpg

093_zps162c55df.jpg

So what did I think of the new Test Track? Meh, it was ok. I only rode the original TT twice but I really enjoyed it. On the new version, I didn’t like the line. It seemed kind of closed in and if I was claustrophobic, I think it might have been uncomfortable. It was also very hot in the line and it wasn’t a hot day outside. Maybe the regular line was better but I never went through it. The ride itself didn’t really change much other than the color scheme.

After I finished with TT, I decided to head into the world showcase so I headed towards Mexico, still looking for the magic I wasn’t quite feeling yet.

Up Next: It’s a Troll World

I'm sorry you still weren't feeling well when you went to Epcot and that you weren't quite feeling the magic.

I do love your photopass pictures, and I can certainly see that you are "holding up Spaceship Earth" in that last one.

As you know, I found the new Test Track to be "MEH" myself. It's not something that I will feel I have to do every trip now. And if you are saying it was hot when you were there in line, I imagine that August will be brutal.

Aw man, not feeling the magic!? That sucks! Hopefully it picks up! I find that whenever I can, I head straight to MK when I get there to really solidify everything.

I have to say I’ll be using fast passes and single rider line for TT from now on, the whole “design your car” thing just holds up the line way too much and I get bored super quickly, haha! Overall I have to completely agree with you, the new TT was like Tron, and just not as good as the old one, I wasn’t too impressed, especially with how long it was down for! Paige and I also didn’t stop in the interactive stuff at all, it just seems like you could be doing something better in Disney!

Totally agree....MK is always our first stop. Regardless of the day, crowd, weather....Magic Kingdom is #1 in our hearts!

I hope you found the magic ASAP!

TWO WEEKS from today I will be in the car heading to the airport! AHHHHHH! I can't wait to ride the new Test Track!! I was actually one of the (seemingly few) who wasn't too impressed with the old version anyway :( Wasn't bad, but it wasn't one of those "gotta ride it" rides, ya know????

What a bummer that you weren't feeling well.

Thanks for doing such an in depth review of the new TT... I have not taken the liberty to go out and do any research on the changes - as a matter of fact - I'd even forgotten it was refurbed. So, everything I know about it is just what you've written. ;)

Loved the Cousin It photo! LOL

And I did chuckle at the photo in front of SSE that you weren't going to post. LOL Thanks for that. :)

D~

I really want to try new TT at least once. There are elements about the redesign I think I will really like, and some I'm afraid I won't.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually LOVE the new Test Track. What I do not love, however, is where the ride photo is now located, which is outside towards the beginning of the speed portion. It especially sucks in the morning when you have the sun in your eyes.

I hope you got to feel the magic soon enough.

hahaha your "cousin it" photo made me laugh out loud! :rotfl:
too bad you weren't feeling the magic yet at this point in your trip :( I'm hoping the pixie dust will kick in maybe in your next post!
Also - loved all your ASMu pictures! DBF and I stayed in Calypso in October and we too had intended to explore the whole resort but then ended up forgetting! oops:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter