DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the fascination with people looking up in the sky at what is a very old fireworks show is indicative of a completely different problem...the lowering of expectations for what you get out of very expensive ticket prices.

To be fair, it's simply indicative that 1) people love wishes and/or 2) plenty of people are there for the first time or haven't been in a while.

The castle projection show helps as well.

I suspect they will aim to replace Wishes for the anniversary, and I also expect that some will long for Wishes when it's gone.

I usually try to squeeze in each night show once per trip, but often find myself wandering the park during the night show instead.

I was talking with someone who recently visited Disney Imagineering in California. Apparently, they have a whole area/building dedicated to Avatar/Pandora, but they don't have anything like that set up for Star Wars yet. I don't know if this bodes well for quick progress or a quality result. Maybe they were hiding it or maybe it's being done offsite, like Lucas:confused3 I got the impression that the CM was even saying there wasn't anything set up yet. I hope that's not true.

I was talking with someone who recently visited Disney Imagineering in California. Apparently, they have a whole area/building dedicated to Avatar/Pandora, but they don't have anything like that set up for Star Wars yet. I don't know if this bodes well for quick progress or a quality result. Maybe they were hiding it or maybe it's being done offsite, like Lucas:confused3 I got the impression that the CM was even saying there wasn't anything set up yet. I hope that's not true.
They have been creating a lot of things offsite and shipping them into AK for Pandora. I know Star Wars does have its own design studio within imagineering run by Scott Trowbridge the creative lead on the project. I'd imagine they don't have a warehouse or anything yet for Star Wars as they are still finalizing things and have a good amount of prep work to do before actual construction begins. Walls going up next week will be for demo work first.

It is completely possible that they aren't even close to doing something with this...and they are doing the classic trick of letting fools sell fake PR for them to generate package sales.

I wouldn't discount the theory.

Remember:
Rumor was a stock dip is what caused the "announcement" in the first place...so they could have done the avatar thing and made an announcement with zero idea of what they were doing.

Toy story could be completely off the shelf rides or clones...which honestly doesn't require imagineering at all

Last edited:
I imagine it's to divert people toward the "underutilized" lower road.

The state and counties have been ticked at Disney for that road since its inception...it cost a fortune and they blocked it with giraffes and thatched roofs so it couldn't be an effective throroughfare

Rumor has it
What "lower road" are you referring to?

It pretty much is unfortunately

Of course Toy Story Land will require Imagineering. "Dinosaur" at AK is a clone of "Indiana Jones" at Disneyland. You don't think Imagineering was involved with the development of Dinosaur?

It would be foolish for Disney to develop a ride tech/idea and then only use it once. There's nothing wrong with "cloned" rides, as long as they are done well.

Of course Toy Story Land will require Imagineering. "Dinosaur" at AK is a clone of "Indiana Jones" at Disneyland. You don't think Imagineering was involved with the development of Dinosaur?

It would be foolish for Disney to develop a ride tech/idea and then only use it once. There's nothing wrong with "cloned" rides, as long as they are done well.
Dinosaur didn't open as Dinosaur at AK. It opened as countdown to extinction but they later changed the name for the movie tie in.

Yes this will require imagineering as both rides are different than things Disney has done but the alien ride basically the same as Maters junkyard Jamboree. The slinky coaster is something totally new. I have seen a few say that the coaster layout is the same as a coaster in another park tho.

I agree that as long as it's done well I will be fine but of course we haven't seen the finished product yet. I'm very excited for th work coming to DHS.

While the track was the same as Indiana jones adventure...all the show elements around ctx were COMPLETELY different.
I'm sorry...but you're example is an apple in a world of oranges here.

Some things require a ton of creative juice...like tower of terror.
Storybook circus at "new fantasyland" didn't...for example

Last edited:
While the track was the same as Indiana jones adventure...all the show elements around ctx were COMPLETELY different.
I'm sorry...but you're example is an apple in a world of oranges here.

Some things require a ton of creative juice...like tower of terror.
Storybook circus at "new fantasyland" didn't...for example

All I'm saying is that cloned rides aren't necessarily bad. Let's give the Toy Story section a chance. ...and we like Storybook Circus at NFL a lot. I especially like what they did with Dumbo.

All I'm saying is that cloned rides aren't necessarily bad. Let's give the Toy Story section a chance. ...and we like Storybook Circus at NFL a lot. I especially like what they did with Dumbo.

There are different "categories" of Disney fan on boards like these I notice. One of the more vocal groups isparticularly concerned about theming and originality. For them Storybook Circus is exactly where Disney is going wrong. It is a (relatively) cheap bit of the park with no great theming to see and nothing in the way of innovative rides.

It's a good comparison point for Toy Story Land I think because we'll likely see exactly the same reactions. There's not going to be anything in TSL that pushes the envelope and the theming will be adequate but not exciting. Depending on what you think is important there doesn't necessarily have to be more than that. DHS right now really lacks kids rides and TSL will help substantially. Expect endless complaints though.

Both of them are at least a few steps above Chester and Hester...

The one thing that I recall during D23 this past year was the section regarding Toy Story Land. Kathy Mangum made it a point to say that this land would be built with a level of immersion that will be comparable to Cars Land in DL. I actually am quite excited about this addition. On the wdwmagic boards posters constantly say that this is going to be just like the Toy Story Play Lands in Paris and Hong Kong, and I have always argued against that, based on the level of rides alone. Those parks have the RC Racer (like a pirate ship ride), parachute drop and slinky dog merry-go-round. We will have a slinky dog coaster with interactive elements, a new Buzz Lightyear/alien spinner ride and the largest Toy Story Midway Mania ride. From a ride perspective, to me there is no comparison. And this is only for the rides as there will be other entertainment elements to this land that have not even been talked about yet.

The one thing that I recall during D23 this past year was the section regarding Toy Story Land. Kathy Mangum made it a point to say that this land would be built with a level of immersion that will be comparable to Cars Land in DL. I actually am quite excited about this addition. On the wdwmagic boards posters constantly say that this is going to be just like the Toy Story Play Lands in Paris and Hong Kong, and I have always argued against that, based on the level of rides alone. Those parks have the RC Racer (like a pirate ship ride), parachute drop and slinky dog merry-go-round. We will have a slinky dog coaster with interactive elements, a new Buzz Lightyear/alien spinner ride and the largest Toy Story Midway Mania ride. From a ride perspective, to me there is no comparison. And this is only for the rides as there will be other entertainment elements to this land that have not even been talked about yet.

It may well be better themed than previous Toy Story areas, but I don't see any way it can be themed to Cars Land levels. There's nothing to draw on from the Toy Story movies that has that sort of presence to it. A backyard with a jumble of toys can be fun to be in the middle of and they could if they want include lots of smaller interactive elements, but it can't have the same visual impact that Radiator Springs has.

I don't necessarily see that as the end of the world unlike certain WDWMagic posters who are shall we say "obsessive" on theming, but it's not being built to take on Diagon Alley and it won't.

Dinosaur didn't open as Dinosaur at AK. It opened as countdown to extinction but they later changed the name for the movie tie in.

Yes this will require imagineering as both rides are different than things Disney has done but the alien ride basically the same as Maters junkyard Jamboree. The slinky coaster is something totally new. I have seen a few say that the coaster layout is the same as a coaster in another park tho.

I agree that as long as it's done well I will be fine but of course we haven't seen the finished product yet. I'm very excited for th work coming to DHS.

True, but that's not relevant to this discussion.

...and if the coaster layout is the same as elsewhere, who will ever know - or care? Clones, if done well, are fine.

It may well be better themed than previous Toy Story areas, but I don't see any way it can be themed to Cars Land levels. There's nothing to draw on from the Toy Story movies that has that sort of presence to it. A backyard with a jumble of toys can be fun to be in the middle of and they could if they want include lots of smaller interactive elements, but it can't have the same visual impact that Radiator Springs has.

I don't necessarily see that as the end of the world unlike certain WDWMagic posters who are shall we say "obsessive" on theming, but it's not being built to take on Diagon Alley and it won't.

Agreed. I think everyone knows which land will be taking on Diagon Alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter