Detroit to Orlando

DonaldnDaisy5

DIS Veteran
Anyone make this flight lately? How early of an arrival for an early Thursday departure would you recommend?

2 hrs prior to your flight is a good plan for most airports. If you have TSA pre-check can cut it a bit closer. Detroit has 2 different terminals based on which airline you are taking, so it is good to look at the airport maps to get a sense for how far you have to walk to your gate. Small commuter planes are at the far end of the one terminal.

Thank you! Just got an email asking for volunteers to move to a different flight - feeling a bit nervous...

Thank you! Just got an email asking for volunteers to move to a different flight - feeling a bit nervous...
We have a flight out of Detroit end of October. Last week our(7am) flight to MCO on delta was cancelled and we were put on the 8:30am flight. This is a Saturday. I had to call and get seat assignments for the 7 of us. We are happy with that change since it was our preference but that flight was always to expensive. Our(6:10am)flight for November 5th coming home was canceled and with that flight we were also give the 8:25am. Also happy about that. That flight kept our original seating. I am still concerned about our Detroit to Orlando flight because on line it’s now showing sold out. No way would I do a volunteering bump since there are 7 of us but if they offered up the $10,000 like they did on that Grand Rapids Michigan flight last month I’d be out of my seat so fast they wouldn’t have to ask twice.

They must have had some takers on the travel vouchers - their flight took off on time and as far as they could tell no one was bumped.

We have a flight out of Detroit end of October. Last week our(7am) flight to MCO on delta was cancelled and we were put on the 8:30am flight. This is a Saturday. I had to call and get seat assignments for the 7 of us. We are happy with that change since it was our preference but that flight was always to expensive. Our(6:10am)flight for November 5th coming home was canceled and with that flight we were also give the 8:25am. Also happy about that. That flight kept our original seating. I am still concerned about our Detroit to Orlando flight because on line it’s now showing sold out. No way would I do a volunteering bump since there are 7 of us but if they offered up the $10,000 like they did on that Grand Rapids Michigan flight last month I’d be out of my seat so fast they wouldn’t have to ask twice.
Someone else flying Detla out of Detroit I see!! Our 7am Monday morning flight late Ocrober was also changed to the 8:25am flight, and our 7:25pm flight leaving Orlando Saturday was changed to 3:25pm ( not impressed, we were planning to go to a park). We decided to change our flight to Orlando one day earlier and will spend the night at an airport hotel and then Uber to Disney early Monday to gain pretty much a whole day at Disney Monday instead of a half day and we will be nice a rested, instead of being up at 4am.

On a few past trips, I was able to snag nonstop on Southwest out of DTW. Is that generally a seasonal thing? Sometimes, just out of interest, I check random dates and find all the Southwest service to be via connection.

On a few past trips, I was able to snag nonstop on Southwest out of DTW. Is that generally a seasonal thing? Sometimes, just out of interest, I check random dates and find all the Southwest service to be via connection.
SW has many fewer non-stops than they did in 2019 or before. They also seem to be shying away from direct non-stop competition at hubs like DTW. Almost everything gets routed through BWI, MDW or BNA.

Even before covid, the number of non-stop flights compared to those with connections could vary based on the time of year. Some airlines add flights to known popular destinations at certain times of the year and discontinue other flights based on demand. Mostly you need to check their website for various options of flights/times/connections/price to see what works best for your plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter