Details on NBA Experience

CityWorks is a chain. Disney Springs is missing a sports venue.

They should have probably made it a restaurant for every popular sport in America (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB). This way they could have more of the amasses wanting to flock to it. Picture if people could watch the Super Bowl here? This place would be packed with people ear to ear.

They should have probably made it a restaurant for every popular sport in America (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB). This way they could have more of the amasses wanting to flock to it. Picture if people could watch the Super Bowl here? This place would be packed with people ear to ear.
Why wouldn’t they be able to watch the Super Bowl at CityWorks?

Why wouldn’t they be able to watch the Super Bowl at CityWorks?

They probably wouldn't want to if it's seen as a basketball facility. A guy or gal who hates bball probably won't be interested at all with an NBA place. Plus think of all the great potential for activities. Picture being able to sack Aaron Rodgers or kick a football like Adam Vinateri. It would make it much more interesting for more people if you involve more sports.

They probably wouldn't want to if it's seen as a basketball facility. A guy or gal who hates bball probably won't be interested at all with an NBA place. Plus think of all the great potential for activities. Picture being able to sack Aaron Rodgers or kick a football like Adam Vinateri. It would make it much more interesting for more people if you involve more sports.
CityWorks is not an NBA venue. It’s a sports bar chain.

Disney/ABC and the NBA are doing this because they are partners and have big time TV deals.

I hope it's a mega success and soaks up people like crazy leaving the things I enjoy a bit less crowded.

Disney/ABC and the NBA are doing this because they are partners and have big time TV deals.

I know, but it still doesn't appeal to most people. Like Sgt said though I hope it is a big success, this way I don't have to wait in line for an hour at D-luxe.

Is admission going to be pay one price, like Disney Quest was, for the experiences, or pay as you go? If pay one price, would it be a water parks and more option?

I’d def check it out if it had football but basketball is a total non entity for me. I hope those who love basketball enjoy it!

Disney does own ESPN as well though, which is an all sport entity.

This one baffles me as well. Disney seems to miss on anything sports related. I hope it does well but its not something I would be remotely interested in.

I think the problem (that @Dfan79 seems to be stating) is that a "NBA" experience really limits the audience unlike they old "ESPN Zones" of old. Basketball (and the NBA specifically) is very "love it or hate it" -- there aren't the casual fans like you have with baseball or football.

You are going to get people (like me) who just avoid the place because it is labeled "NBA". (but I am a big football and baseball fan .. and even college basketball) .. but NBA .. ugh.

So I think there will be a huge amount of people that just don't go to it .. and especially won't pay for the "experiences" that this giant building is meant to house.

While if it was more of a generic "sports" venue (again .. like the ESPN zones of old) with sports-themed arcade games and experiences .. with a restaurant. A lot more families would check it out.

But again .. this seems purely a "promote the NBA because we have a huge stake in its TV rights" endeavor that I don't really see paying off.

I think the problem (that @Dfan79 seems to be stating) is that a "NBA" experience really limits the audience unlike they old "ESPN Zones" of old. Basketball (and the NBA specifically) is very "love it or hate it" -- there aren't the casual fans like you have with baseball or football.

You are going to get people (like me) who just avoid the place because it is labeled "NBA". (but I am a big football and baseball fan .. and even college basketball) .. but NBA .. ugh.

Exactly, setting it just to the NBA really limits the amount of people that would want to go to it. It would be like a Disney store just selling t-shirts with Sleepy on it. Sure there would be a few passionate weirdos who love Sleepy and would die for him. And their life motto is to sleep everywhere like him, even work.

But most of us would rather have some variety in our dwarf apparel. Give me a drunk looking Dopey or a P'd off Grumpy t-shirt or a Godfather version of Doc.

Exactly, setting it just to the NBA really limits the amount of people that would want to go to it. It would be like a Disney store just selling t-shirts with Sleepy on it. Sure there would be a few passionate weirdos who love Sleepy and would die for him. And their life motto is to sleep everywhere like him, even work.

But most of us would rather have some variety in our dwarf apparel. Give me a drunk looking Dopey or a P'd off Grumpy t-shirt or a Godfather version of Doc.
And, to be successful, it has to pull vacationers from the alternate attractions they would otherwise do. Even if a casual NBA fan (or even a non-fan) may choose to try this as opposed to staying home watching TV, it doesn't mean they would try it instead of the myriad of choices Orlando offers. Including "free" activities at the resort they're staying at.

And, to be successful, it has to pull vacationers from the alternate attractions they would otherwise do. Even if a casual NBA fan (or even a non-fan) may choose to try this as opposed to staying home watching TV, it doesn't mean they would try it instead of the myriad of choices Orlando offers. Including "free" activities at the resort they're staying at.
Not really. Locals visit Disney Springs just as much as tourists do. When I was local we would often pop over to the Springs for a bite to eat, then minigolf, and head home. Not a bad source of evening entertainment. The NBA experience could host birthday parties, have the sports bar venue, and other things that appeal to the local people more than the tourist types. I do agree with your comment that for the tourist demographic, the facility does indeed compete with the million other things there are to do in the surrounding area.

As much as I’ve complained about the NBA contract hurting ESPN, and therefore Disney, A recent article was talking about how the NBA’s huge popularity with teens.

Anecdotally, it seems correct. Even my boys that prefer to play baseball seem to be bigger NBA fans. The NBA has done a great job building its social media presence.

I now think this NBA Experience is a smart move for Disney.

Hakepb - I think what you said is spot on. I have a freshmen and a 6th grader. While it seems like all the kids around their ages play multiple sports and enjoy them they tend to wear more NBA items, watch more NBA on tv and just seem to follow it more than MLB and NFL. Which in our state is funny because we have everything besides NBA available to watch in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter