• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Detailed Weather Data for DLR

Thank you so much for this information, it is really helpful. We will be there in June (second week of June) and by looking at the charts, I can get a better idea of what to pack (we are used to going to WDW and dealing with the sweltering hot weather there). When we were in DLR 3 years ago, I do remember having to put on a light jacket for the morning hours and when the sun went down, but once the afternoon hours came around, we put our jackets around our waists because it got REALLY hot.

As always, great info, Hydro. Do you happen to know of a good weather person in the LA/Anaheim area? I know every city has TV weather personalities, but what I'm looking for is the go to meteorologist/weather geek in the area.

Try using the NWS San Diego office, clicking on the Anaheim link (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...apwidth=354&site=sgx&zmx=1&zmy=1#.WH8jErGZPR0). You'll find current conditons, latest forecasts, and (very important for DL fireworks) any wind warnings/alerts.

Thanks for the info. Having been a weather guy when I was in the military, I do typically check NWS forecasts when I travel, along with Accuweather and the weather channel forecast page. NWS is a good source for the official area advisories, watches & warnings, but their forecasts are usually the most pessimistic, i.e. if there's a chance it'll happen they're going to forecast it. Most of that has to do with them being a government entity, so they have to cover their bases for legal reasons. Accuweather is usually the most optimistic forecast, i.e. everything tends to look wonderful until the weather actually starts happening. While I've quit watching the weather channel since they started favoring the Jim Cantore sensationalism (by naming their winter storms and such), their web forecasts are usually pretty middle of the road and relatively reliable.

The thing I'd be looking to get with a good local weather meteorologist would be a local interpretation of all of the available models. On the west coast (and anything where you're dealing with a large body of water around you), the Navy forecast models can be more accurate than the land based forecast models. The Navy has been generating their own models, for obvious reasons, for many years. I'm honestly not sure how much access to those models a local meteorologist would have, but I'd have to assume they have some access to them. Local experience is also key. I know we've got a guy here locally that fits this description. He's got a big social media following because he does daily forecast discussions where he discusses why he's forecasting what he is. While no forecaster is going to nail the forecast 100% of the time, at least knowing what you're dealing with helps you make better decisions.

Totally agree wtih you about the NWS, Accuweather, and the Weather Channel. One reason we like using the NWS forecasts for DLR is because of the pessimism -- at least we're prepared for the worst! As for what you're looking for in the L.A./Anaheim area, it sounds like what you're already doing is the best thing available right now. I've asked local mets about this and no one has a person or website to recommend other than what you're already using. (Oh, if only George Fishbeck were still around...) If I hear about something in the meantime, I'll come back to update.

Totally agree wtih you about the NWS, Accuweather, and the Weather Channel. One reason we like using the NWS forecasts for DLR is because of the pessimism -- at least we're prepared for the worst! As for what you're looking for in the L.A./Anaheim area, it sounds like what you're already doing is the best thing available right now. I've asked local mets about this and no one has a person or website to recommend other than what you're already using. (Oh, if only George Fishbeck were still around...) If I hear about something in the meantime, I'll come back to update.

Sounds good. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter