• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Deluxe Dining Plan-Anyone else intrigued?

I know my DH would be intrigued! His favorite part of our WDW vacations is the dining.:laughing: We also do an awful lot of character dining because of the kids. I personally am intrigued by the 2ts restaurants. With the deluxe, we could do character breakfast during the day and a sit down dinner at night like we use to before we started using the DDP.

As it stands now we may do one character breakfast during a trip because we feel it is a waste on the plan. We try not to spend much if anything OOP when on the DDP. Deluxe would allow us much more flexibility.

Also, does anyone know if the rumors about cutting snack credits back is true? If you get 2 per day per person with this plan are they only the popcorn and water as I recall reading? If so that would STINK!

I don't *think* those rumours have been confirmed by any reliable source, so at this point, I'm thinking that was just speculation or was at the very least greatly overblown.

Disney could restrict the use of snack credits to exclude the half gallon of milk and 8pk of Entemann's donuts without scaling all the way back to just popcorn and beverages, and if there are changes coming to the snack offerings, logic seems to dictate that's what they'll be. I think with the deluxe plan offering 2 snacks per person per day, they'll have to keep a reasonable variety of eligible snacks. And with the deluxe package including refillable mugs, presumably drinks are not going to be a big use of snack credits for those on the plan. No matter how good Mickey bars might be, even they'd get old after 2 a day for 10 days. :rotfl:

I don't *think* those rumours have been confirmed by any reliable source, so at this point, I'm thinking that was just speculation or was at the very least greatly overblown.

Disney could restrict the use of snack credits to exclude the half gallon of milk and 8pk of Entemann's donuts without scaling all the way back to just popcorn and beverages, and if there are changes coming to the snack offerings, logic seems to dictate that's what they'll be. I think with the deluxe plan offering 2 snacks per person per day, they'll have to keep a reasonable variety of eligible snacks. And with the deluxe package including refillable mugs, presumably drinks are not going to be a big use of snack credits for those on the plan. No matter how good Mickey bars might be, even they'd get old after 2 a day for 10 days. :rotfl:

I have never done the milk or 8pk of Entemann's donuts .
However, just last week my supermarket was selling these 8pk of Entemann's donuts for $2.50, thus with some doing the donuts it has little impact IMO. The milk is another story with fixed prices.

I hope this hasn't already been asked (I didn't read the entire thread) - I wonder if the credits will still be pooled? I'm not talking about combining child/adult credits, just the pooling. In other words, for a 5 night stay with 2 adults, would we get 30 TS credits (3 per day x 2 adults x 5 nights) and 20 snack credits (2x2x5) to use as we wanted or would we HAVE to use exactly 3 credits each per day? This is important to me because I like arrival/departure meals or maybe 4 snacks one day and none the next. I know it does say you CAN use them for CS if you wanted to (not that I would!).

I have never done the milk or 8pk of Entemann's donuts .
However, just last week my supermarket was selling these 8pk of Entemann's donuts for $2.50, thus with some doing the donuts it has little impact IMO. The milk is another story with fixed prices.

I don't think it has much impact either, but the concern that some have speculated about is that the ability to stretch snack credits that way lessens the amount people are spending OOP on additional meals. If the snacks were the extremely limited popcorn/drink/ice cream bar, most people on the dining plan would have to suppliment it with additional food OOP. But with snacks covering everything from pastries at the bakeries to boxes donuts in the gift shop, people have been able to eat what amounts to 3 meals per day on dining plan credits alone.

I hope this hasn't already been asked (I didn't read the entire thread) - I wonder if the credits will still be pooled? I'm not talking about combining child/adult credits, just the pooling. In other words, for a 5 night stay with 2 adults, would we get 30 TS credits (3 per day x 2 adults x 5 nights) and 20 snack credits (2x2x5) to use as we wanted or would we HAVE to use exactly 3 credits each per day? This is important to me because I like arrival/departure meals or maybe 4 snacks one day and none the next. I know it does say you CAN use them for CS if you wanted to (not that I would!).

I would think it would still be pooled. I can't see any good reason for Disney to change that, especially when a change to allowing 3 and only 3 meals to be used per day would mean preventing people from eating breakfast, lunch and a signature dinner in a single day. But at this point, I guess anything is possible. Boy I hope the rumours are spot-on as far as the info being released Monday. Waiting for facts sucks. :surfweb: :rotfl:

Many years ago the packages were per day but for many years now it has been per night. So while I don't know if the credits will be able to be used anytime during a stay, I would think there has to be some flexibility to the system. Probably just easiest to pool them as has been done with the current DDP.

I'm more than intrigued - if the official announcement mirrors the rumors, I'm totally sold. It might even convince me to think about going in Jan or May instead of Dec. (Jan sounds good... we'll be there for DD"s birthday this month, and it might be fun to be there for DS's birthday too!).

We wouldn't eat 3 TS per day. We don't even eat 3 meals per day most days, much less 3 restaurant sized meals. But what we would do is a lot of 2TS meals. I already have Artist Point, California Grill, and Cindy's Royal Table scheduled for Dec, but I'd gladly add Narcoosees (in place of Fulton's, which we'll be doing OOP), Flying Fish, and Yachtsman Steakhouse (in place of Shula's, which we'll be doing OOP) if we had more credits. I might think about the luau instead of Ohana. And I'd gladly eat *no* CS for the entire trip!

I am so with you on this. I would love to be able to do all the 2TS options and this is very appealing, also doing more character meals - yes it is lots of food, but we don't get to do all those things at home! :banana:

:confused3

I'm still tossing around with this one. My big thing like most is my oldest will be 11 when we go and I begrudge paying 70 for him. He might eat that much but then after he will be sick. His eyes are bigger then his stomach. :scared1: I don't mind the plan skipping out the appetizer because we don't eat them usually anyway at a regular meal at home, I like the taxes are still in and the tip???? Still concerned with this??? How much will that actually add up to with possibly 3 TS meals per day. I like CS meals once a day and I like a TS once a day too. The snacks are good but I've never used them for a thing of milk and cereal for breakfast. The only thing we did use them for is bagels, muffins at Main St. Bakery one day. I have never abused the plan so I won't with the new one if I get it. Still waiting to see what the new plans will be:coffee:

I don't know...:confused3 It sounds great when you put it all on paper...2 TS/ day with 2 snacks/day!! You can get your character breakfasts and still go to Le Cellier at night plus have either a CS or a TS for lunch...but in reality, I don't think DH & I would eat that much food/day :confused: I would love to get it, but I don't know. When I think of it, it would be nice to be able to go to some of the 2TS dinner shows and not have to worry about using 2TS and still have one for breakfast...I think I am gonna do some big time number crunches and find out if the plan is really worth it for DH & I! :woohoo:

I don't know...:confused3 It sounds great when you put it all on paper...2 TS/ day with 2 snacks/day!! You can get your character breakfasts and still go to Le Cellier at night plus have either a CS or a TS for lunch...but in reality, I don't think DH & I would eat that much food/day :confused: I would love to get it, but I don't know. When I think of it, it would be nice to be able to go to some of the 2TS dinner shows and not have to worry about using 2TS and still have one for breakfast...I think I am gonna do some big time number crunches and find out if the plan is really worth it for DH & I! :woohoo:

You and I think alike. On our last trip (3 weeks ago) we had the basic plan and there were a few times we thought about going to a sit down breakfast until we remembered that would be our TS for the day and now we wouldn't have to worry. But like you, I need to sit and crunch the numbers to see if it's worth it. Good luck!! ;)

I'm VERY intrigued by the "Triple" DP as my family does a lot of TS meals. Between signiature restaurants and character breakfasts, the DDE has served us well. We've been going to Disney for years so our vacation revolves around which park we visit most, our resort and what restaurants we like to eat at.

Now with that said, we're doing free dining in less than 3 weeks and the DDP as it is now is okay but thankfully I have the DDE to cover the OOP meals. The deluxe plan would definitely be a big help as we'd like to eat at more signiature restaurants in the future, and we love doing the character breakfasts as it saves us time and sanity in the parks. :thumbsup2

I agree it is alot of food , but I like the idea of paying up front and having the ability to do a few 2 ts meals, I think I would use it but there are only 2 of us.

Here is how I see... First it's A LOT of food... However I find it very appealing. I love the sit down restaurants. I am always torn between using the TS option for dinner or breakfast. With this new plan you can have 3 a day! Sure the price is higher but you have 3 TS a day!

For our family of 4 (2A 2C) it would cost us $1259.72 for 7 days. Which works out to be 59.98 a meal. This doesn't include the snack or refillable mug.

I don't think it's a bad deal if you have the time and appetite for this much food.. It's certainly nice to have all those character meals!

I posted this over on the budget board thread but thought I would include it here....

I am bummed about the tip thing, but the Deluxe plan will work great for us next Spring! It will be our first family trip with dd5 and dd2.5. We had already planned to do a lot of character breakfasts, a few TS lunches and TS dinners every night. This will work great for us. As for it being too much food? We were planning on the character breakfasts already anyway so we will eat a normal amount of breakfast food. For sit down lunches we will probably order an entree salad or something light, maybe not even the appetizer or dessert, and then get all three courses for dinner. So what if we don't order all three courses at lunch? Even if we don't we will more than get our money's worth each day.

For an adult, most character breakfasts are at least $20-26, say get a drink and a nice sandwich or entree salad for lunch $15-20, and dinner for all three courses at a non-signature place would still be at least $55 (figuring $10 each for dessert and appetizer and a $30 entree, plus a drink).

We don't plan to be touring commandos though. We have little kids so we don't plan to "do the parks" at night, other than some light WS touring and MK for Wishes. Most of our park touring will be rope drop until 1 pm then back to the hotel for nap/swim.

Plus the deluxe plan works really well for people with food allergies who will have an easier time working with a chef to get the appropriate food rather than at a CS location. This will help us as dd5 and I can't eat gluten.

Anyway just some thoughts...

I wonder about ADRs. It can be hard enough trying to decide months in advance where you want to have 1 TS meal per day with the current DDP but to possibly have to decide in advance for 2 or 3 per day? I can see alot ADRs being booked and then being abandoned because people decide they'd just rather have a CS meal or a snack.

I wonder about ADRs. It can be hard enough trying to decide months in advance where you want to have 1 TS meal per day with the current DDP but to possibly have to decide in advance for 2 or 3 per day? I can see alot ADRs being booked and then being abandoned because people decide they'd just rather have a CS meal or a snack.

I think the pressure on the ADR system will ease somewhat, though, as the standard DDP is less of a value and therefore fewer people book it. And I do think that is one goal of these changes - to bring the demand for TS meals back in line with the supply.

I crunched the numbers. I figured out I could eat 23 TS meals over the course of a 10-night trip, (which would mean one meal on arrival day, one meal on departure day, and two meals every other day, except on one day which would be three TS meals,) and I made a list of what I would probably pick, and added all the averages of the meal's prices together, and the cost would be close to $1,000.

The plan would help me. I rarely do CS, and usually do at least two meals a day, and even though I swear every year I'll never book three TS meals in one day, almost every trip I end up with one day with three TS meals, so the amount of ADRs I would have to make is not insane to me. Also, the last time I went to Disney for 10-nights I spent $800 on food, which is $100 more then the plan would cost for 10-nights, and I didn't do many signature restaurants, and didn't get an entree at many of the meals, so the deluxe DDP would let me try a lot of new things.

I honestly think it will HELP with ADR's. The basic DDP is not that great anymore. Many people won't get the Deluxe plan due to the cost. It may make it easier to get ADR's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter