Delta and Continental question....

dopeyfanatic

DIS Veteran
We booked our flights for June. We're taking Delta from Sacramento to Tampa, and Continental from Tampa back to Sacramento. We do have assigned seats...do we need to/can we check in 24 hours in advance online? I'm not sure if it's needed or even an option. Thanks for the help!

There is no need to check in on-line 24 hours ahead of time with DL or CO.

Online check in isn't necessary, but with Delta at least, I would check my reservation frequently online, especially on Saturday and Sunday. Delta changes thier flight times and then your selected seats disappear. You have to call the reservations number, accept the change, and ask for your seats to be re-assigned. This is a major complaint about Delta. I dont mind it because I know to keep on eye on my reservation

There is no need to check in on-line 24 hours ahead of time with DL or CO.

Do DL and CO use check-in time as a factor in who gets bumped in the event of an oversold flight or switch to smaller equipment?

To the OP - yes, it is an option. It isn't as critical with these airlines as it is with Southwest and as the PP stated, it isn't necessary. That said, I always check in online as early as possible. Sometimes airlines offer a small frequent flier mileage bonus for the first time you use online check in.

Do DL and CO use check-in time as a factor in who gets bumped in the event of an oversold flight or switch to smaller equipment?

No. They have a priority list. It starts with non-rev passengers, then to those with the lowest priced tickets--unless they are elites. At the bottom of the bump list are top-tier elites, unaccompanied minors, medical emergencies, and (with some carriers) bereavement fares.

It is always a good idea to check in ahead of time. That way you don't usually have to worry that you will be the one bumped. You can also change seats at that time if any others are available.

Bump lists are not populated by fare paid OR fare class.... aye aye aye!

Please check-in early to avoid losing a seat assignment in your ticketed cabin. That's your first clue your flight has been oversold. Unlike Southwest, you needn't check in exactly 24 hours in advance, but the earlier the better.

Employee non revs are bumped first, customer non revs are bumped next, then volunteers are asked to give up seats. If seats still remain oversold, the last to check in will get bumped from coach, regardless of fare paid. I'm not sure elites are exempt from bumping as I know plenty who've been bumped. Each airline varies slightly, but no one bumps on fare price, even FF fares.

Please check-in early to avoid losing a seat assignment in your ticketed cabin. That's your first clue your flight has been oversold. Unlike Southwest, you needn't check in exactly 24 hours in advance, but the earlier the better.

Employee non revs are bumped first, customer non revs are bumped next, then volunteers are asked to give up seats. If seats still remain oversold, the last to check in will get bumped from coach, regardless of fare paid. I'm not sure elites are exempt from bumping as I know plenty who've been bumped. Each airline varies slightly, but no one bumps on fare price, even FF fares.

Excellent advice!

I always advocate checking in as soon as possible for a flight, as check in time is one factor considered when it comes to IDB's (ie 'bumping').

As to elites, it depends on the airline and level of elite. And then, many elites are experienced travellers and actually WANT to be VDB'd in certain situations (voluntarily bumped)

When did that change? I know that in the past fare paid was definitely part of the equation on some carriers.

This is what is listed on flyertalk.com for AA in regards to revenue passengers... Hmm, oddly enough, it looks similar to what ExPirateShopGirl just said ;)

Note that check in time definitely plays a role in IDB.

1. Passengers who do not meet the minimum check in time requirements
2. Passengers without assigned seats, based on check in times who did not qualify for one of these categories:
3. Passengers with assigned seats, based on check-in time who do not qualify for one of the following categories.
4. AAdvantage/AAdvantage Gold
5. Executive Platinum, Platinum, Emerald and full fare coach passengers
6. Businesss Class passengers
7. First Class Passengers
8. Those passengers who will experience a severe hardship as a result of being denied boarding. These customers might include those who are elderly, disabled, or children traveling alone.

edited: a quick search didn't bring up anything re the airlines in the OP post, but they are going to be very similar to the order listed above.

I ALWAYS recommend checking in as early as possible - one never knows what will happen on the way to the airport, or AT the airport

All these stories about denied boarding seem to omit the important fact that the OP has assigned seats and does not plan on being later than the minimum check-in time. If things were different, then there might be something to think about but I wouldn't spend my vacation fretting about it.

But seat assignments CAN and DO change, as we see here quite frequently. A change in schedule may result in a loss of seat assignment; same with a change in aircraft.

And nobody 'plans' to be at the airport after the check in time, but things do happen.

Surely at some point within 24 hours prior to a flight most people can find a few minutes to stop by Guest Relations, or their hotel concierge desk, or a business centre to check in. It really isn't that painful and really doesn't take much time at all.

Checking in in advance is simply one more step to guard against being IDB'd.

Basically true although most airlines will give priority to first class passengers, even if it means putting the first class passenger in coach and bumping another passenger.

Airlines frequently give priority to passengers who have a seat assignment. An airline can indirectly base bumping on fare class by limiting the ability of passengers booking low fare buckets to get advance BPs/seat assignments.

Online check in isn't necessary, but with Delta at least, I would check my reservation frequently online, especially on Saturday and Sunday. Delta changes thier flight times and then your selected seats disappear. You have to call the reservations number, accept the change, and ask for your seats to be re-assigned. This is a major complaint about Delta. I dont mind it because I know to keep on eye on my reservation

ITA with shellybaxter! With flights not scheduled until June, be prepared for Delta to change them multiple times, sometimes keeping your seat assignments, sometimes not. In our experience, we were never notified, but because of the sage advice on this Disboard( :disrocks: ), I knew to keep checking our reservation on an almost daily basis (as we got closer to the departure date).
We're lucky enough to have SWA here, whose fares are usually at least the same or better than Delta's (from RDU), so SW now gets our business. I'd rather check in once, 24-hours in advance, than spend months of playing "Find the Disappearing Ressie"! :rotfl:

All passengers flying AA have the ability to check-in at 24 hours prior to flight, regardless of fare paid or fare class. No exceptions. Upgrades are available based on elite status prior to 24 hours, but even then they have to wait until the 24 hour mark to check-in.

Not entirely certain how other carriers handle check-ins, but from what I can tell, it's quite similar.

Basically true although most airlines will give priority to first class passengers, even if it means putting the first class passenger in coach and bumping another passenger.

Airlines frequently give priority to passengers who have a seat assignment. An airline can indirectly base bumping on fare class by limiting the ability of passengers booking low fare buckets to get advance BPs/seat assignments.

Not entirely certain how other carriers handle check-ins, but from what I can tell, it's quite similar.

UA is the same for domestic flights.

Now, LH is different - check in starts at 23 hours ;) . And one can check in via SMS or telephone as well as online. Makes it a little easier

Thankyou! Our flight leaves at 10:30 pm so I just wanted to know if I needed to be sure to stay up to check in or anything. And our flight back will be dinner time, so we should be in our room eating!

As others have posted it is not necessary to check in at the 24 hr mark, but on Continental they will open up the exit rows at that time and you can change your seats to the exit row at check in (as long as everyone is able to meet the exit row requirements)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts