deliberating D-I-R-E-C-T purchase (Sept 29, 2021)

Frugal Fairy Tales

points are just points
I am a poly owner with an Oct user year. If I buy direct points by the end of September will I also get 2020 UY points since we're still in that use year? (and will I also owe maintenance fees on the 2020 points?) .... Where to buy... should I keep it simple and add more poly points? or add an Epcot area resort since I'd really like home resort advantage there... at Riviera OR Boardwalk (Riviera is cheaper with a longer contract but the points charts are better at Boardwalk). Thanks!

I am a poly owner with an Oct user year. If I buy direct points by the end of September will I also get 2020 UY points since we're still in that use year? (and will I also owe maintenance fees on the 2020 points?) .... Where to buy... should I keep it simple and add more poly points? or add an Epcot area resort since I'd really like home resort advantage there... at Riviera OR Boardwalk (Riviera is cheaper with a longer contract but the points charts are better at Boardwalk). Thanks!
I wouldn’t add more Poly points. It’d be nice to own somewhere that has something other than studios. Rivera has resale restrictions, but if that doesn’t bother you that’s a nice option

I don't know why you would buy Boardwalk direct at all. It expires so quickly, it isn't like you could use those points for RIV+ properties.

It is approaching the end of the year, and direct buyers are having some mixed results trying to get current year points. There are plenty at RIV, so you should be able to get those.

My standard advice...

Take all the money you would have wasted spent on a direct contract and buy double the amount of points resale at Saratoga. Unless you always travel in the fall, having enough extra points to afford 1 bedrooms somewhat negates a lot of home booking advantage, since 1 bedrooms are routinely available at 7 months.

If you buy direct, you get current UY points. Right now, that is 2020 points with an October UY. In order for them to actually sell you the contract, they must still have the points in stock.

For sold out resorts, they do not always have them. For resorts in direct sales, like RIV and AUL, they usually do. However, they have given a lot of RIV points out in the past 16 months to owners who were at risk of losing expiring banked points due to the closure, including the extension currently to international owners who have not been allowed to travel to the US.

So, there have been reports that buyers could not get an Oct UY at RIV. All you can do is call, and see exactly what they have and will sell you.

Not sure why you have to buy direct, is this because your Poly is resale?
The blue card benefits are shameful atm, just buy resale or even just rent as the resale market is so overpriced that I would only want a lowball offer to go through.
I bought BWV last year for $100pp for 70pt contract. That’s like $150pp now, completely crazy. $210 direct for BWV with 21 years left is hard on the maths. As for RIV, well the point chart means you will be buying a lot more and I despise the restrictions. Also standard rooms go fast so you could be in preferred rooms which are even scarier on the point chart. Many RIV lovers on Disboards though.
I would aim for a $120pp BWV contract which is right on ROFR threshold over the last 3 months.

Yes, pros and cons to everything. I am looking to add on a small contract of 60-80 points so the convenience and being able to get the amount of points I want could work better with direct vs resale. One plus I see about direct points for resorts with far out expiration dates is that you will be able to trade into all DVC future additions. This is not a concern for the 2042 expirations, but for resorts expiring after 2042 if you have resale points in future decades you might be shut out of a lot of the DVC inventory.

Yes, pros and cons to everything. I am looking to add on a small contract of 60-80 points so the convenience and being able to get the amount of points I want could work better with direct vs resale. One plus I see about direct points for resorts with far out expiration dates is that you will be able to trade into all DVC future additions. This is not a concern for the 2042 expirations, but for resorts expiring after 2042 if you have resale points in future decades you might be shut out of a lot of the DVC inventory.
I think this makes sense and could be good reason but if the last 2years taught us anything it’s that dvc benefits are not a sure thing. Today the benefit of direct is trading into future resorts but the only gurantee you contractually have is ability to book where you own. I can see the fomo to say you want access to future resorts but Disney may not even plan to make future resorts (theres even a thread ongoing now around rumors Disney is considering selling off dvc).

My standard advice...

Take all the money you would have wasted spent on a direct contract and buy double the amount of points resale at Saratoga. Unless you always travel in the fall, having enough extra points to afford 1 bedrooms somewhat negates a lot of home booking advantage, since 1 bedrooms are routinely available at 7 months.

I’ve been saying this for years, as this was my strategy when I bought in. More dues of course but worth it.

What did you end up doing? Did they have any 2020 points available or do you have to wait until tomorrow?

If you own poly resale, not sure why you would want direct, unless for the blue card. However the 150 direct minimum for the blue card is not worth it in my opinion. If you have your heart set on direct - then I would probably buy SSR for the lower MF's, or RIV - but RIV has high point chart and fees. If looking for more points, and you want epcot side, I would probably purchase RIV resale. Yes it has restrictions, but the resort is beautiful and truth be told, I use most of my points at their home resorts, SSR included. If you are looking for sleep around points I would buy resale SSR, OKW, or AKV. Given the rumor (another thread going around) that disney might sell their dvc side, I would not buy any points direct right now - but that is just me.

And pay way more in the long run. Probably will have paid more by year 7.

Yes you get more points but you are paying more every single year then.

SSR dues are lower as above, and SSR is the best strategy for this policy. BUT policy is flexible:

1. Many practising this policy actually prefer the 1 beds, and think the dues are well worth the extra space.
2.Theres nothing stopping anyone with 1 bed points booking a studio if they want one and get one, and then renting out the rest of the points to cover all dues. During the pandemic when the US has stopped many visiting, those with 1 bed points also made more rental profits.
3, I once pointed out it could often be easier for me to book a 1 bed at VGF than a studio owner, and I’d be paying about the same with my SSR resale points but be stopping in a 1 bed. Yes I’d be paying more dues, but not double.

It is not a strategy for everyone, but it’s often overlooked for sure.

Take all the money you would have wasted spent on a direct contract and buy double the amount of points resale at Saratoga.

One small addition that I would add to this: Take your money, buy twice the points at SSR, rent half of the points every year for enough to cover the maintenance on ALL of the points, and enjoy the same number of points you were originally considering, but now pay $0 in dues every year...

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter