Deciding between DAS and ECV

QueenElinor

It's not my fault they're all redheads.
Hello all-
I have RA and last time I was at WDW we rented a scooter for the whole week and it worked great for the most part, but I do remember the difficulties with bus transport, some rides, etc. and would really like to avoid it this time. We won't have a car so the bus issue especially worries me.

This time I was hoping to get by with a DAS to minimize standing in line, plus club level fast passes to minimize walking (no backtracking, I can schedule things very efficiently for the most part), and maybe renting an ECV or wheelchair at the park as needed. I have three healthy adult kids & DH who can do the pushing if need be.

Am I missing something here? We'll be going on some crowded days over Memorial Day weekend if that makes any difference. And we're staying at BWI.

My family is a little hesitant for me to do this, they think things went terrific last time (I suspect because I carried all their stuff around :laughing: ) but I really think I can do this and they are being overprotective. I am on better meds now, too.

Thanks! Any and all advice is appreciated. This forum was so helpful to me last time, you guys are the best!

If an ECV or wheelchair would provide the accommodation you need, a DAS will not be granted. DAS is not for mobility or stamina issues as it does not eliminate walking or standing. If you have needs besides standing and walking, then those are the issues to focus when requesting a DAS.

Since you are mainly worried about the transportation with an ECV, my suggestion is to let the adults kids help get the ECV onto the bus. Renting in the park is another option, but will be more expensive; and an ECV may not be available.

Enjoy your vacation!

RA by and of itself does not qualify for DAS. Anything stamina or mobility related you are advised to get a mobility device. There are almost no places to sit in the parks any more.

Hello all-
I have RA and last time I was at WDW we rented a scooter for the whole week and it worked great for the most part, but I do remember the difficulties with bus transport, some rides, etc. and would really like to avoid it this time. We won't have a car so the bus issue especially worries me.

This time I was hoping to get by with a DAS to minimize standing in line, plus club level fast passes to minimize walking (no backtracking, I can schedule things very efficiently for the most part), and maybe renting an ECV or wheelchair at the park as needed. I have three healthy adult kids & DH who can do the pushing if need be.

Am I missing something here? We'll be going on some crowded days over Memorial Day weekend if that makes any difference. And we're staying at BWI.

My family is a little hesitant for me to do this, they think things went terrific last time (I suspect because I carried all their stuff around :laughing: ) but I really think I can do this and they are being overprotective. I am on better meds now, too.

Thanks! Any and all advice is appreciated. This forum was so helpful to me last time, you guys are the best!

Did you have a DAS last time? the DAS is not meant to help you to avoid standing in line a wheelchair ECV or roller is for that. the DAS is for people whos disability prevents them from being in line. Just like the wheelchair, ECV is to help people that can not stand or walk.

I know someone with something very similar to RA ( it might be RA dr were still doing some testing) and she went with me and said since I have the DAS then she did not need an ECV. I told her that she did and that I was not able to push her in a wheelchair. within 2 hours she was being wheeled to first aid and stayed there for a few hours we left Disney a few hours early to come back home ( we were doing a day trip) So I can see your family being hesitant for you to do all that walking at Disney ( and the DAS does not really help with the walking)

so you had a hard time with the bus here is two ideas for you rent an ECV on site and if need be use a criticey wheelchair at the bus stop this way at the end of the night you can have some pace to site when in line waiting for the bus the downside is if they run out of ECV you will have to wait to get one, the park ECV are bigger then most retail ones, also you are stuck walking at the hotel and after a long day this might be a hard thing to do. or you can rent off-site and have someone in your group drive the ECV on the bus.

something else that might work for you is a wheelchair, for the most part, I was say no to this but with three adult kids and a DH there are 4 people that can push you and it sounds like you can walk just not that long. this might help you to be mobile longer with having something to lean on.

with the ride lines some of them are a little tight you can do one of two things here if you are up to walking have someone ( an adult) in your group drive the ECV through the line for you, or if you need to drive have someone in your group ( of two) stand behind you and have them give you a little more room so that you do not feel rushed by other guests.

but I do not see a DAS helping you for what you think it will.

Note that while DAS may help with standing in lines, it does not lessen your standing or walking overall. There are not a lot of places to sit any more. If you are concerned about being on your feet, renting and ECV or wheelchair is your best bet.

Just to echo what was said above, DAS is not for mobility issues/inability to stand. Your best bet if you don't want to use the ECV is to get a wheelchair, walk when you can but know that the chair is there for you if you tire or flare up. Go as soon as you arrive in the parks and get one (or work with a local rental company to bring your own to the parks) because if you wait until later in the day, there is always a chance they won't have any available. Remember that nobody will force you to use it the ENTIRE time you're in the park, but you will be thankful you have it when you DO need it :)

Renting a scooter from an outside vendor is much cheaper. Then, you have the scooter all the time.

With regards to the scooter going on and off the bus that's were your family can help. Let them do it. There's no rule or procedure for who has to take the scooter on and off the bus. We've have done it for others ourselves.

Having the scooter all the time will give you better endurance to enjoy the parks for a longer day. Park tickets cost money and getting better mileage out of your day will give you more time to enjoy the park.

If you want to walk some, then you can park the scooter for a while and walk.

Thanks for all the advice!

Let me just reiterate that I did have an ECV last time which I rented from an outside vendor for the entire week. I (and my family) have experience with it on the bus and also by car. I have been on almost all the rides (except the rough coasters) while using it, shows, parades etc.

I didn't have a DAS because of course I could just remain on the ECV until it was time to transfer to the ride. My hope was that with a DAS I could check in, then go sit down somewhere else until it was time to ride. I have a couple of hours a day I can stand (total- not all at once!!) and if I sit I can spread that time out through the day. Basically I am hoping to spend my limited up-time walking and not standing around.

Also, I don't like the stink-eye I sometimes get because I don't have a lot of trouble getting on and off of ECVs, and walking short distances.

Another alternative is a little cane chair that I could bring so I would have instant seating pretty much anywhere I would like to have it. Would it be possible to use that effectively with a DAS? Or, If I had that would I just continue to use the ECV/Wheelchair ride entrances and just not worry about getting a DAS? I've actually done pretty well with a full day of museums, etc. using the cane chair.WDW is a lot more walking than that, though.

Under normal circumstances, I don't need any assistance, so I would like to try it without a WC or ECV. But there's nothing normal about being at WDW! So it may definitely not work out that way in the end, and my plan may turn out to be a bad idea.

Last edited:

I did have an ECV last time which I rented from an outside vendor for the entire week, but didn't have a DAS because of course I could just remain on the ECV until it was time to transfer to the ride. My hope was that with a DAS I could check in, then go sit down somewhere else until it was time to ride, thus avoiding having to bring a wheelchair or ECV.

I actually have a little cane chair that I could bring so I would have instant seating pretty much anywhere I would like to have it. Would it be possible to use that effectively with a DAS? Or, If I had that would I just continue to use the ECV/Wheelchair ride entrances and just not worry about getting a DAS?

No, you can’t use wheelchair entrances unless you’re in a wheelchair or ECV...plus, most lines at WDW are mainstreamed, so there isn’t a separate entrance.

You aren’t eligible for a DAS because your issues can be addressed with a wheelchair or ECV - that’s the accommodation. You don’t get to choose an accommodation that you would rather have.

Your needs sound to be what is considered stamina or mobility related. DAS is not given for this, the accommodation is to use a mobility device.

A “cane-seat” may be used as a cane. However, as with folding chairs which are not allowed, it cannot be used as a seat. Most queues move slowly, but keep moving, so you wouldn't safely have time to open-sit-stand-fold-walk-repeat.

You may certainly avoid stairs if that is a concern. Just mention it to the CMs in the queue. Very few queues have completely separate entrances for mobility.

You can also use a wheelchair walk when you’d prefer. The wheelchair gives you a seat when needed. Or use an ECV and bring a holding cane in the the basket, park and walk when you’d like.

Enjoy your vacation!

Let me just reiterate that I did have an ECV last time which I rented from an outside vendor for the entire week. I (and my family) have experience with it on the bus and also by car. I have been on almost all the rides (except the rough coasters) while using it, shows, parades etc.

I didn't have a DAS because of course I could just remain on the ECV until it was time to transfer to the ride. My hope was that with a DAS I could check in, then go sit down somewhere else until it was time to ride, thus avoiding having to bring a wheelchair or ECV.

I also actually have a little cane chair that I could bring so I would have instant seating pretty much anywhere I would like to have it. Would it be possible to use that effectively with a DAS? Or, If I had that would I just continue to use the ECV/Wheelchair ride entrances and just not worry about getting a DAS? I've actually done pretty well with a full day of museums, etc. using the cane chair.

WDW is a lot more walking than even several museums combined, though. I would like to try it without a WC or ECV, but it may definitely not work out that way in the end.

I would not use the cain as a set I saw one person ( it has been a few years ago) she was sitting on it and fell no one was close to her let's just say her arm was broken and there was no ex-ray needed to say it was broken they are just not that stable. I have seen a few CM ask guest not to use the set part of the cain too ( I know they will let you bring it in and use it as a cain)

again this is a mobility problem you need somewhere to sit and the DAS is not for this. it hurt those that the only way they can have access to the rides is with the DAS pass you can use a mobility device to have access to the rides you may not like it but that is the way you can access the rides, while you did do a musim and yes there is a lot more walking and you have two chose use a mobility device or not. just know that if you can not make it with walking then what you are in pain and hurt how will this affect your family I know mine would be concerned for me and it would not only take away from me having fun but from them too. one thing you can do is get a wheelchair ( I would get it from off-site) and do one of two things push it so you have it with you or park it somewhere and use it when you need it. another thing to think of is a lot of places have preshow ( soring TT TOT FOP HM just to name a few) where you stand in one place for a few minutes ( or more) the DAS does not cut down on walking for some rides ( soring) and what would happen if you are in line and started to have pain and could not go on then what would you do? I know you do not want to hear this but a mobility device is your best bet.

The problem with your plan to go sit somewhere while waiting for your DAS return time (besides the fact that DAS are not granted for mobility/stamina issues), is that there are hardly any benches left. The nearest bench could be 300 feet away, and is probably already full, especially if on a parade route! My sciatica flared up my last visit and I ended up renting an ECV, even though I do not need any mobility device in the "real" world. There was just nowhere for me to rest, even for five minutes, unless I choose to sit on the ground.

I would not use the cain as a set I saw one person ( it has been a few years ago) she was sitting on it and fell no one was close to her let's just say her arm was broken and there was no ex-ray needed to say it was broken they are just not that stable. I have seen a few CM ask guest not to use the set part of the cain too ( I know they will let you bring it in and use it as a cain)

again this is a mobility problem you need somewhere to sit and the DAS is not for this. it hurt those that the only way they can have access to the rides is with the DAS pass you can use a mobility device to have access to the rides you may not like it but that is the way you can access the rides, while you did do a musim and yes there is a lot more walking and you have two chose use a mobility device or not. just know that if you can not make it with walking then what you are in pain and hurt how will this affect your family I know mine would be concerned for me and it would not only take away from me having fun but from them too. one thing you can do is get a wheelchair ( I would get it from off-site) and do one of two things push it so you have it with you or park it somewhere and use it when you need it. another thing to think of is a lot of places have preshow ( soring TT TOT FOP HM just to name a few) where you stand in one place for a few minutes ( or more) the DAS does not cut down on walking for some rides ( soring) and what would happen if you are in line and started to have pain and could not go on then what would you do? I know you do not want to hear this but a mobility device is your best bet.
That's a very good point about me having an alternative way to access the rides and DAS being more for other non-mobility related issues. I didn't know there was a shortage of them, I wouldn't want to make it harder for someone else to use their DAS if I could do things another way.

I can also certainly see why the CMs would frown on the cane chairs- they are not easy to use for many people, but I have no problem with them as luckily I still have great balance from my years as a skier! :) I guess I can bring it and see what they have to say about it. Is their worry that healthy people would bring them just to have something to sit on? I guess I could see that. But that's kind of a lot of work if you don't really need it.

That's a very good point about me having an alternative way to access the rides and DAS being more for other non-mobility related issues. I didn't know there was a shortage of them, I wouldn't want to make it harder for someone else to use their DAS if I could do things another way.

I can also certainly see why the CMs would frown on the cane chairs- they are not easy to use for many people, but I have no problem with them as luckily I still have great balance from my years as a skier! :) I guess I can bring it and see what they have to say about it. Is their worry that healthy people would bring them just to have something to sit on? I guess I could see that. But that's kind of a lot of work if you don't really need it.
there is not a shortage of them per say but I have had CM tell me that I was lying to skip the lines when going to get mine I have heard from a CM that works GR ( I have known her since she was in middle school) that they are handing out way too many DAS and that because of this the FP lines are getting longer ( and of a few other things) my last week-long trips I had to get out of more lines ( FP) then I did in line the last 2 years. my last trip a few weeks ago I was unable to ride soring since the line was so long. So there is not a number of them just so many people needing them that has now made the FP lines longer ( again there is other issues with this too)

The 3 main issues are that:
- most lines are slowly moving, not stopped
- they are too easy to tip over. Even if you have good balance someone could bump into you
- there is an issue with where to put them while you ride (unlike a regular cane, they may not fit in the ride car with you

Alright, I give up, I give up! :rotfl2:

I really should know better than to try to hobble around WDW, I guess the years have dimmed my brain to the pain! I had great luck with Apple Mobility last time, so I guess they can get my business again, at the very least I'll make ample use of the wheelchairs at the parks on a prn basis and forget the cane chair!

Thanks so much for talking some sense into me, folks!:disrocks:

You can bring the cane chair but you won’t be allowed to use it as a chair. You most likely won’t get a DAS. The options you have are a rollator, wheelchair, or ECV.

Alright, I give up, I give up! :rotfl2:

I really should know better than to try to hobble around WDW, I guess the years have dimmed my brain to the pain! I had great luck with Apple Mobility last time, so I guess they can get my business again, at the very least I'll make ample use of the wheelchairs at the parks on a prn basis and forget the cane chair!

Thanks so much for talking some sense into me, folks!:disrocks:
oh no, do not give up ( ok give up your feeling towards using a mobility device). think of it like a tool to help you have a good time at Disney. just like someone wears glasses to see, someone uses a hearing aid to hear yet another ( I am raising my hand here) uses spell check to spell. a ECV ( or a wheelchair or whatever you find works best for you) is a tool to help you have fun at Disney it is nothing more and nothing less. there are a number of tools out there that many people at Disney use ( some you see some you do not) Sunscreen can sometimes burn my skin so I have to wear long slives ( yes I will be the one in long slives in the middle of summer at Disney ) but If I do not then my skin will burn with sunscreen or the sun will burn my skin it is just one of the many tools I use to have a good time at Disney ( and no I do not like it sometimes) So think of your ECV as your tool to have fun put on that smile of your face and go out with your family and enjoy the heck out of Disney ( while most of us will be working) have some fun do something new and make the most of your time at the park ( and not in pain at first aid or the hotel room)

Did I miss a question?
Sounds like you have a mobility issue which likely means you will not be eligible for a DAS but you can discuss your needs with them and they will let you know.

oh no, do not give up ( ok give up your feeling towards using a mobility device). think of it like a tool to help you have a good time at Disney. just like someone wears glasses to see, someone uses a hearing aid to hear yet another ( I am raising my hand here) uses spell check to spell. a ECV ( or a wheelchair or whatever you find works best for you) is a tool to help you have fun at Disney it is nothing more and nothing less. there are a number of tools out there that many people at Disney use ( some you see some you do not) Sunscreen can sometimes burn my skin so I have to wear long slives ( yes I will be the one in long slives in the middle of summer at Disney ) but If I do not then my skin will burn with sunscreen or the sun will burn my skin it is just one of the many tools I use to have a good time at Disney ( and no I do not like it sometimes) So think of your ECV as your tool to have fun put on that smile of your face and go out with your family and enjoy the heck out of Disney ( while most of us will be working) have some fun do something new and make the most of your time at the park ( and not in pain at first aid or the hotel room)
I know all the things you say here are true- but I'm in that weird spot where I look like I'm a lot better shape than I actually am. And as you can tell, I like to make light of my problems, when in fact they are fairly serious.

Because of my longstanding problems with RA, I have pretty much every autoantibody there is (the ones that are found in lupus, Wegener's, Sjogrens, etc. etc.) and so I'm at high risk of developing lymphoma and some other very rare conditions (Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia? Who gets that- besides me, of course!:tongue:). All of my medications have recently been switched around to keep that under control. I don't really know if they will effectively treat the RA, though. That's another reason for me to plan on using an ECV- who knows what shape I'll be in by the time I get to Disney in May. I don't want to think about it. I want to pretend to be well for a little while longer.

I didn't know RA could be a fatal disease, well now I know better.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter