Decided to cancel

Pinkshoos

Mouseketeer
So, I had a trip booked for January 2022, and I've decided to cancel. I've had a couple trips there during this pandemic, and honestly, looking back, I felt like I was spending most of the time making excuses for Disney. I'm certainly happy to wear a mask in my normal life and practice social distancing, but vacation is supposed to be an escape, and I'm afraid it wasn't. I was always worried that if I stopped to sip my drink that I would get yelled at. I made excuses for Disney in my head for rude cast members reminding myself that they were understaffed. I spent most of the vacation making excuses for Disney. But, why? This is supposed to be a vacation.

So, I've decided to vacation locally to places that I can easily drive to. To places that I don't have to make excuses for, and places that aren't under-staffed. I'm lucky to live within a couple hours drive to the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are endless places to get out in nature, amazing restaurants, and wonderful museums and attractions.

I've just come to the conclusion that maybe I just need a vacation.... from Disney.

I'm debating this, as well. I haven't been to Disney; since, the pandemic but I understand how you feel.

I miss the shows, fireworks, parades, character meet n greets, special experiences and tours and so forth. It just doesn't seem Disney without the full experience.

But then, I think about the 50th anniversary and I really want to go during the celebration.

I have 8 people in my group and I'm worried someone will catch Covid on the trip even if we are all vaccinated. I don't want that guilt possibility.

I haven't decided yet. I think I will have to see how it goes for the next year there.

It's understandable, but things could be quite different by January 2022. I guess you can always rebook, but it's just something to consider. I haven't wanted to go, mainly due to cutback but also not confident about flying, but I just booked a trip so I'll be trying it out (I will be fully vaccinated by then). I'll see how it goes.

It's understandable, but things could be quite different by January 2022. I guess you can always rebook, but it's just something to consider.

That's true. I follow this forum and also watch ResortTV1's livestreams, so I can see if things are better and maybe change my mind.

I am holding off on committing to a travel window, as I would kind of like to wait until we are no longer mandated to wear masks in public. As the OP said, I would kind of like the freedom to be mask free. Then the trip will be a sort of celebration of surviving what we have been through.
I am hoping that once more people are vaccinated, and numbers consistently go down, we will see more relaxing.

OP, you should definitely not go to Disney if you don't think you'll enjoy it. That said, I think it's way too premature to make any decision about January 2022. The parks could be largely back to normal by then.

I have 8 people in my group and I'm worried someone will catch Covid on the trip even if we are all vaccinated. I don't want that guilt possibility.
That seems quite irrational. It's one thing not to go because the park experience hasn't returned to normal, but afraid of catching Covid when everyone is vaccinated? How will you ever get back to normal life?

A thought I also have, I am wondering if the parks will be EXTRA busy early next year, because of people returning to vacationing? Everyone wanting to schedule missed trips?

While I agree with not going until you think you’re going to have a good time, I struggle with the idea that you’re “making excuses for Disney.”

This is a very difficult time to be operating a theme park, for everyone involved. Not because I have most of my sympathy for a multi-billion dollar corporation, but I genuinely think that everyone from the cast members to the managers are just doing the best they can to even keep things running and generate whatever profit and employment that they can.

The execution may not be perfect, but this is a once-in-a-century situation nobody has lived through before. The parks have to operate under capacity, and CMs are human beings who are also living through a pandemic with guests (some nice, but some cranky and genuinely not following rules). I think we should give them some leeway, and understand that the parks were never built to be run so far below capacity, that staffing can’t be that efficient. It’s just good that they were able to be open as long as they have. I trust things will look up from here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter