December 2023 Planning Thread

I’m so out of the loop as we haven’t visited for 5 years - is Trader Sams now a reservation only? Or can you still walk up and hope to sit at the bar?

They have transitioned to accepting reservations, which get priority for inside seating. However, you can still do walk up. Last March (so this is a bit old), we didn't get reservations but did walk up. They quoted us an hour wait time but we ended up only waiting 30ish minutes at most. You could request inside but we wanted outside anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

We've had reservations for the times since, but will sometimes still request outside just because of how cold it can get in there.

They have transitioned to accepting reservations, which get priority for inside seating. However, you can still do walk up. Last March (so this is a bit old), we didn't get reservations but did walk up. They quoted us an hour wait time but we ended up only waiting 30ish minutes at most. You could request inside but we wanted outside anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

We've had reservations for the times since, but will sometimes still request outside just because of how cold it can get in there.

Thank you very much :)

Just decided on a trip this December and booked our hotel. Going to the parks Dec 13-15. We go about every 2 years. The last few times were Veterans weekend and during fall break in Oct. Hoping it will be less busy this time. Always crowded of course but hopefully less than previous times.

Just decided on a trip this December and booked our hotel. Going to the parks Dec 13-15. We go about every 2 years. The last few times were Veterans weekend and during fall break in Oct. Hoping it will be less busy this time. Always crowded of course but hopefully less than previous times.

Did the fall break fall on Indigenous Peoples/Columbus Day? I was a bit miserable that weekend in 2021. I really love December because even when it's busy it's not normally scorching hot like October can be.

Did the fall break fall on Indigenous Peoples/Columbus Day? I was a bit miserable that weekend in 2021. I really love December because even when it's busy it's not normally scorching hot like October can be.
In 2021 we went Veterans Day weekend in November. It was the opening of Christmas season too. Record high temperatures and so crowded! I’m looking forward to much nicer weather this time by going a month later. 🤞 October is definitely warmer when we’ve gone.

We may be throwing together a last minute trip, was looking at the first weekend of Dec, however I see Desert Inn and Suites is sold out the Sunday and Monday which seems strange - anything big that first weekend I’m not thinking of?

We may be throwing together a last minute trip, was looking at the first weekend of Dec, however I see Desert Inn and Suites is sold out the Sunday and Monday which seems strange - anything big that first weekend I’m not thinking of?
The candlelight processional is usually that first weekend, last year it was the first Saturday and Sunday and December.

It's the Candlelight Processional!

Thanks for the input!
I'm guessing that makes things busier?
We were there one weekend when they had it and I don't know if it was necessarily busier, but Main Street (near the Christmas tree) will have chairs for VIP/C33 and the stage set up along with people camping out so it will be congested. If you avoid that area for the most part, unless you are wanting to view the show, I think you are good to go for the rest of the park and DCA.

Thanks for the input!
I'm guessing that makes things busier?
We've been there three different years during CP, most a long time ago but also we went last year. I personally didn't notice a difference in crowd size, we spent the morning at DL and afternoon/evening at DCA just in case it got super crowded closer to show time. We're going that weekend again this year and will be doing the same thing.

Other than Candlelight, it looks like there is a convention that starts on Sunday at the convention center.

12/1-6. A few nights at the new Villas, we are Polynesian owners but I got lucky and got a few nights when reservations were released. moving there from an offsite hotel.

perhaps silly but I really want a candy cane so I’m crossing my fingers I timed things ok!

If we’re doing 3 park days, can we get away with not doing a park hopper? Dec 15-20

I think this is very difficult to judge. For me it's a hard no but for others it will work. I get 5 day park hoppers for all trips and go back and forth. We like to rotate starting parks with three for DL and two for DCA. That is just my opinion for our family though and it works for how we tour. Those dates are after many schools are out as well this year for holiday break.

Going Christmas week I am fully aware the crowds will be crazy. For this reason I really want table service booked and everyone keeps trying to talk me out of it! Saying the QS is so good etc. Well if we have to wait an hour in a line because we can't mobile order with multiple food allergies and then try to figure out what they can make us, the food could be fantastic but not worth taking up all that time! Will the table service restaurants have special menus 12/27 and 28? If so how far in advance will we know? I have seen it happen where you book a character meal at 60 days and then 2 weeks prior the price jacks up because it's a holiday meal (in WDW). I am thinking about Goofy's kitchen 12/26 arrival night for dinner, have no idea what to do for DL because we don't want two New Orleans meals and my daughter really wants Tiana's, and maybe Lamplight Lounge in DCA for the theming.

Going Christmas week I am fully aware the crowds will be crazy. For this reason I really want table service booked and everyone keeps trying to talk me out of it! Saying the QS is so good etc. Well if we have to wait an hour in a line because we can't mobile order with multiple food allergies and then try to figure out what they can make us, the food could be fantastic but not worth taking up all that time! Will the table service restaurants have special menus 12/27 and 28? If so how far in advance will we know? I have seen it happen where you book a character meal at 60 days and then 2 weeks prior the price jacks up because it's a holiday meal (in WDW). I am thinking about Goofy's kitchen 12/26 arrival night for dinner, have no idea what to do for DL because we don't want two New Orleans meals and my daughter really wants Tiana's, and maybe Lamplight Lounge in DCA for the theming.
We will be there from 12/24-12/27 and plan on TS meals. I can only assume that mobile order will be worse during that week. Patiently waiting to see if there will be any special menus and/or dining that will be released so we can reserve it at 60 days.

Well I cannot believe that I can actually FINALLY say that we are going to Disneyland! Just got my hotel reservations for Dec4-8, so far it is my niece and her youngest (9)...oldest is starting college and not sure of schedule yet. So excited!!!!!!! Now to do tickets and Dining soon...and figure if we need bands Genie etc!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter