Debt Dumpers 2022

(6) Organize financial info for those left behind, just in case... Progress was made. I did a new will and medical power of attorney this year and other financial docs. Still need to get to one bank and do a payable on death on all of my accounts at that bank. Made progress on putting all my logins and passwords in a handy dandy little passcode book, but still not done. Made progress on organizing all financial info in one place in case I die, but not done yet.
Trust me when I say your surviving relatives will GREATLY appreciate it. We're still finding random accounts with money stashed in it from my dad that my mom didn't know about or remember him having. It's been a nightmare.

Nothing like adding "great" to a title to make you feel old. 😂 (For anyone trying to figure out that math, i'm 33 but my brother is 43. We have a decent age gap between us and his oldest daughter is not biologically his.)
I just found out in going to be a grandma at the ripe old age of 37! 🤣 DH is 14 years older than I am and his son from his previous marriage is 8 years younger than I am. It's kind of a weird feeling to have an 18 month only and a grandchild due in April. 😂😂

Trust me when I say your surviving relatives will GREATLY appreciate it. We're still finding random accounts with money stashed in it from my dad that my mom didn't know about or remember him having. It's been a nightmare.

as you help your mom go through stuff-unless she and your dad lived in the same home forever, if you come across it keep hold of at least one 'official' (old utility bill, paystubb, envelope they received...) proof of address for every place they lived. put that aside and then start your bi-annual check of your state's unclaimed property database. each state has their own rules regarding how long an account has to be stagnant (and what defines stagnant) before they turn it over to the state. it can take YEARS for an account to be turned over and if the original owner is deceased then you have to prove your right to it along with THEIR right to it (and with some things like uncashed checks, refunds, old life insurance policies....you need proof that the original owner lived at the old address of record). if you live in close proximity to another state or your dad regularly visited (or had family) in another-check their database too.

with one of our family members it was so confusing when it came to accounts and credit cards (wanted to make sure to close out old ones so no fraud could occur) we ended up going to a local credit bureau and requesting a copy of their credit record-we were astonished at how many wonky single business credit cards they had-we think it was probably b/c the store (like target) would offer a discount if you applied during a purchase so they applied and then just set the card aside when they received it but the accounts were still sitting there open and ripe for fraud.

I just found out in going to be a grandma at the ripe old age of 37! 🤣 DH is 14 years older than I am and his son from his previous marriage is 8 years younger than I am. It's kind of a weird feeling to have an 18 month only and a grandchild due in April. 😂😂
If it makes you feel any better, my mom became a grandmother at 41.5 years old, and from her own biological son! :eek:
So when she was 55, my current age, her oldest grandchild was 13. I can't even imagine my own kids being parents.

I meant to also say congratulations!! Having a new addition to the family is a beautiful gift.

Last edited:
as you help your mom go through stuff-unless she and your dad lived in the same home forever, if you come across it keep hold of at least one 'official' (old utility bill, paystubb, envelope they received...) proof of address for every place they lived. put that aside and then start your bi-annual check of your state's unclaimed property database. each state has their own rules regarding how long an account has to be stagnant (and what defines stagnant) before they turn it over to the state. it can take YEARS for an account to be turned over and if the original owner is deceased then you have to prove your right to it along with THEIR right to it (and with some things like uncashed checks, refunds, old life insurance policies....you need proof that the original owner lived at the old address of record). if you live in close proximity to another state or your dad regularly visited (or had family) in another-check their database too.

with one of our family members it was so confusing when it came to accounts and credit cards (wanted to make sure to close out old ones so no fraud could occur) we ended up going to a local credit bureau and requesting a copy of their credit record-we were astonished at how many wonky single business credit cards they had-we think it was probably b/c the store (like target) would offer a discount if you applied during a purchase so they applied and then just set the card aside when they received it but the accounts were still sitting there open and ripe for fraud.

Great info on the unclaimed property! Didn't think of that.

I know the last 3 addresses pretty well, since I also lived at all 3. Lol. I believe I'll be able to find old w2 from my dad in one of the 300000 boxes of previous tax info that's being held on to.

If it makes you feel any better, my mom became a grandmother at 41.5 years old, and from her own biological son! :eek:
So when she was 55, my current age, her oldest grandchild was 13. I can't even imagine my own kids being parents.

I meant to also say congratulations!! Having a new addition to the family is a beautiful gift.
I was 40 (3 weeks from 41). I was 19 when I had my son, and he was 21 when his son was born. I like being a young grandmother. And it’s super fun to shock people when I tell them I have a grandson who is in kindergarten. :P

I was 40 (3 weeks from 41). I was 19 when I had my son, and he was 21 when his son was born. I like being a young grandmother. And it’s super fun to shock people when I tell them I have a grandson who is in kindergarten. :P
:laughing:
Young grandparents are usually more fun. My parents rode Splash Mtn and my dad rode Space Mtn with our kids. They also cruised DCL with us at least 6 or 7 times.

My mom was a great grandmother at 63, my dad at 65. In a way, that makes me sad for dh. He will be 65 in the spring and not even a grandfather. Some of his siblings have grandchildren that are old enough to be parents but aren't yet.
Everything happens for a reason. He was 37 when we got married. (First marriage for both of us.) He says if we had been dating 10 years earlier, he would not have been mature enough and wouldn't have been a good husband. Good thing it worked out like it did cuz he is just about the greatest husband in the world. :cloud9::goodvibes

My mom had us very young. My grandma was 86 when she died last year. My mom was 62, I was 42 and my oldest nephew was 22. We are a young family.

There are 21 years between my husband and his sister. There are only 4 years between her and my oldest.

Congratulations!!! on the new addition.

I have a pretty straightforward goal for 2022. I want to increase our net worth by $100,000. I've leaned away from other goals because, at this point, this is the number that tells our actual financial truth. In 2021, we increased it by $76,000. I'd like to aim higher next year. Should be do able, since we paid off all debts and car loan and don't plan to incur any more debt next year.

Not sure what's going to happen vacation wise. Likely nothing big. I'm not feeling a half baked vacation with covid at the forefront. I won't spend $$$ for a vacation when we can't truly relax and just forget about the pandemic. So, we cancelled our planned spring break at Aulani and will likely just enjoy local attractions next year. We will have a new waterpark opening up basically around the corner (literally) and Super Nintendo World will be opening at Universal Hollywood, so between those and Disneyland, I feel like we have enough to stay busy.

Also guilty of neglecting this thread.

Well, 😆...

The stock markets had different plans for my net worth.

According to Mint, our net worth is down $50,000 from this time last year. Oh well.

Gonna hop over to the new thread and post 2023 goals.

We paid off my car last week. DH’s car will be paid off in June. We’re both still working from home and this is a permanent thing, so we’re not driving nearly as much as we used to. Hopefully we can go quite some time without needing a new car. The boys’ car probably will be the first to go and if we decide to help them with that, they’d take my car and I’ll get a new (new to me) one.

We paid off my car last week. DH’s car will be paid off in June. We’re both still working from home and this is a permanent thing, so we’re not driving nearly as much as we used to. Hopefully we can go quite some time without needing a new car. The boys’ car probably will be the first to go and if we decide to help them with that, they’d take my car and I’ll get a new (new to me) one.

have you checked with your insurer to see if you qualify for a discount due to non commute/reduced mileage? when we no longer commuted to work we got a nice discount and we maintain it by keeping an eye on each car's individual mileage and opting for using the one with lower mileage for longer trips.

have you checked with your insurer to see if you qualify for a discount due to non commute/reduced mileage? when we no longer commuted to work we got a nice discount and we maintain it by keeping an eye on each car's individual mileage and opting for using the one with lower mileage for longer trips.
Yes, we did at the start of the pandemic and surprisingly, it did not make much of a difference, even though we live 50 miles away from our offices.

Yes, we did at the start of the pandemic and surprisingly, it did not make much of a difference, even though we live 50 miles away from our offices.
Ours wasn't much either, like $100 less for the whole year. Not that I'm complaining too much, $100 saved is money saved and our car insurance rates are already pretty low compared to family and friends in other states. I was just expecting something dramatic when people had stated theirs had gone down a lot.

The trip home from the funeral was... awful. Tuesday we left for home and that night my cousin tested positive for covid. By Thursday when we finally made it home, my oldest and myself were both pretty wore out and were both positive. Work won't let me come in sick (which is kinda good, but also not), so I guess I'm taking another weekend off unpaid. I'm stressing a little over money.

My mom is also on some kind of mission to give me the hardest time possible when it comes to dealing with things. Dad died on 11/23. With the holiday and weekend and who know what else, there was a delay and the death certificate wasn't even sent to the doctor until 12/5. It's 12/19 and we STILL don't have them. She said she called Thursday at 4 and left a message. Big shock, they close at 4:30 and aren't open on Fridays, so they didn't call her back. At noon today I asked her if she heard back. She said she left another message. When I checked in at 4 with her, she still hadn't heard anything. She was also supposed to go to the bank and see if she's on the account we found at the local credit union. She "got busy" and didn't go. I have no idea how to impress upon her how freaking important it is to get this stuff handled. It's giving me extreme anxiety. The last thing I need is for her to mess around and have half his stuff go to probate or her house or car get repossessed because she can't make the payments.

Ours wasn't much either, like $100 less for the whole year. Not that I'm complaining too much, $100 saved is money saved and our car insurance rates are already pretty low compared to family and friends in other states. I was just expecting something dramatic when people had stated theirs had gone down a lot.

That's the same discount we get for low mileage. It's basically insignificant.

The trip home from the funeral was... awful. Tuesday we left for home and that night my cousin tested positive for covid. By Thursday when we finally made it home, my oldest and myself were both pretty wore out and were both positive. Work won't let me come in sick (which is kinda good, but also not), so I guess I'm taking another weekend off unpaid. I'm stressing a little over money.

My mom is also on some kind of mission to give me the hardest time possible when it comes to dealing with things. Dad died on 11/23. With the holiday and weekend and who know what else, there was a delay and the death certificate wasn't even sent to the doctor until 12/5. It's 12/19 and we STILL don't have them. She said she called Thursday at 4 and left a message. Big shock, they close at 4:30 and aren't open on Fridays, so they didn't call her back. At noon today I asked her if she heard back. She said she left another message. When I checked in at 4 with her, she still hadn't heard anything. She was also supposed to go to the bank and see if she's on the account we found at the local credit union. She "got busy" and didn't go. I have no idea how to impress upon her how freaking important it is to get this stuff handled. It's giving me extreme anxiety. The last thing I need is for her to mess around and have half his stuff go to probate or her house or car get repossessed because she can't make the payments.

as an fyi-you might want to contact the coroner's office for the county your father passed in. PRE pandemic there were places with MONTHS of wait time for certified death certificates. my mom/mil passed in the same county a year apart-6 weeks difference in processing time. my brother passed in another state-3 months. another brother in the same county as mom/mil but by then (2017) almost a 6 month wait. with pandemic impact/staffing shortages-official documents can take months upon months to receive.

Sending virtual hugs and well wishes for a speedy recovery. Hopefully you're not feeling too terrible. :grouphug: :flower3:

as an fyi-you might want to contact the coroner's office for the county your father passed in. PRE pandemic there were places with MONTHS of wait time for certified death certificates. my mom/mil passed in the same county a year apart-6 weeks difference in processing time. my brother passed in another state-3 months. another brother in the same county as mom/mil but by then (2017) almost a 6 month wait. with pandemic impact/staffing shortages-official documents can take months upon months to receive.

We were told it was just waiting on the doctor's signature to be finalized. It should have been 7-10 business days. They were expected to arrive with his body when it went out of state to the funeral home (because that was who put the orders in, she said it was faster).

We were told it was just waiting on the doctor's signature to be finalized. It should have been 7-10 business days. They were expected to arrive with his body when it went out of state to the funeral home (because that was who put the orders in, she said it was faster).

our issues involved needing to have certified copies, seems like every entity wanted one with the raised seal-pension plans, banks, dmv (mil didn't list a transfer on death on her title-that was a royal pain to deal with what with that state's waiting period and active insurance requirements).

i don't envy you dealing with this. just take it day by day. keep in mind response times will likely be slower due to short staffing plus people taking holiday time off. breathe in and out, in and out.

Please extend your mom some grace. My father passed July 2022 and wasn't married. My brother and I are dealing with his estate. The first month after his death we were both in a fog. We did good to go and check on the house once a week. I know you're trying to get everything done but she might just be trying to get through the day. Believe me when I say, all the financial stuff can wait until she's ready to breathe again. And you will need to take her hand and help her do most things. That's what my husband had to do with me. Most days I didn't want to deal with it because it made it seem more real that my dad was gone. It took me a couple of months to process it and I'm still processing it. I believe it took about 6 weeks for us to get the death certificates. We're just taking our time and doing one thing at a time. Some times that's getting 3 things done in a week and sometimes getting one thing done in 3 weeks. We're taking it one day at a time.

December update. Well life happened in 2022. Let's see how I did.

Financial Goal 2022
- Mortgage: We made 4 extra payments this year. FAIL 4/12 months

- 2022 Vacations: We will pay this off with my bonus in March. COMPLETE

- Cash roll home decorations: I've been putting a little money in the kitty every paycheck so I can use it to pay for decorations. It's around $800. FAIL

- Kitchen Cabinets - Purchase beyond paint. I still need to do this. Paint purchased but never painted. FAIL

- Build 6 month bill money in savings account. Half way there. This is building every month with direct deposit. We tapped into this for new tankless water heater. Both units died this year. FAIL

- Increase 401K to 15%. I was at 10%. COMPLETE

Personal Goal 2022

- Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver: I started the Liver Cleanse 3 weeks ago. 5 weeks to go. Misdiagnosis. THANK GOD!!!

- Lose Weight and develop better eating habits. Lost 7 lbs. 33 lbs. to go. FAIL

- Stay active in my Bible Study group: I'm doing pretty good. COMPLETED SPRING SEMESTER. Dropped out of Fall semester

- Make use of the Elliptical machine: I still haven't used it. Hoping to at least use it 15 minutes a couple of times a week. FAIL

- My word for the year MINDFUL: so far a success. COMPLETE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter