Debt Dumpers 2021

Coming into the last month of the year, considering Christmas expense and one travel this month. Looking ahead one month into fast approaching 2022, have a few things to consider. Roth IRA in January, deciding on either relocating or purchase locally, and working out the budget for a trip in spring and next winter break while considering the first two things.

Started working on our budget and goals for next year. We have our Disney trip in April and my cousins wedding reception (that's been rescheduled twice thanks to covid) in May.
We discussed where we wanted to ultimately live and decided to move north about 45 mins where we were living about 7 years ago. It's less expensive, closer to work, and my best friend and her kids live there who are the ones who watch our kids for us. We originally moved to where we are currently so my parents could help out if needed (something they agreed to), but in 5 years they've only come over maybe 10 times. I hate saying it, but they aren't enough of a reason to stay in the more expensive area.

Headed to Disney World tomorrow for 11 nights! I am so excited and so ready to be there. Still a little anxious about food money as we usually have the dining plan, but it is what it is.
I was super worried about not having the dining plan on our trip last month. I really had to force myself to not stress about how much everything costs and just let myself order what I wanted. We ended up eating what we wanted and spent considerably less money than the dining plan.

I was super worried about not having the dining plan on our trip last month. I really had to force myself to not stress about how much everything costs and just let myself order what I wanted. We ended up eating what we wanted and spent considerably less money than the dining plan.

that makes me a feel better! I want to just enjoy and eat what we want

The dining plan has been a big consideration for us too. If it's back in time for our trip I'm torn between getting it, preparing, and being done with it or taking the cost of the plan and buying enough gift cards to cover it and using that instead. We do plan to hit the food booths and I can use snack credits for most of those instead of paying $6ish per item.

For our January cruise we leave on Saturday, but we arrive in Orlando on Friday. Our flight got changed a couple weeks ago to where we actually arrive a little earlier than originally planned (wasn't complaining) and our plan for Friday evening is to go to Disney Springs (we've never been). I was online the day dining reservations opened up (admittedly not in the crazy early morning hours) and I was so bummed because there were no reservations for Chef Arts Homecoming, which is where I really wanted to eat. Thanks to this board I heard of a certain website, that I'm not sure I'm allowed to name, that would notify you when certain dining reservations became available. So I signed up for notifications and last night I was able to book a 9:05pm dinner reservation! I'm so excited! :cool1: We're staying the night at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista so we should be able to walk over to Disney Springs from there to explore and eat.

Thanks to this board I heard of a certain website, that I'm not sure I'm allowed to name, that would notify you when certain dining reservations became available. So I signed up for notifications and last night I was able to book a 9:05pm dinner reservation!
I like those sites that help you find reservations. I wanted to eat there last trip but family plans required dining reshuffling, have yet to go! And would like to do just one dining experience at Space 220. I think we may plan a winter break trip next year, but to me too far to plan that right now and don't want to look at the costs (will have to see what packages come out - when do December 2022 packages come out or are they out already?).

Spring still considering Disneyland. I made the resort reservation and booked the air travel on points, probably mentioned that already, but have yet to commit to the tickets. Buying the tickets is the definite - we are going. So, still dragging feet not ready to commit. Except now we are coming up on Christmas and added expenses this month, so I don't feel like buying them is a good idea right now, but will have to decide next month.

2020 started out so well and then... dumpster fire. I fell off my game plan, of the boards, off everything. So, here's hoping 2021 looks better financially.

Financial Goals
• Pay off 4 different small loans totaling $4,300.
• 6% company match both of our 401k at work.
• Save $7,000 towards a huge 2 week summer vacation (combined Disney for daughter's birthday and cousin's wedding).
• Save $2000 towards husband's teeth/denture.
• Pay down as much as possible on the car we just bought in September so we can hopefully trade it in in July for a bigger vehicle.
• Save $2000 towards maternity leave for our anniversary surprise. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Personal Goals
• Declutter the crap out of the house.
• Have a baby in July.
• First half marathon in November.

I don't think much will change in the next couple weeks, so I might as well recap now.

Managed to pay all but the last $500 on the loans.
I'm at 6% on my 401k and 2% on his, mainly because we have $140/check repaying the loan we took out for the wedding.
The summer trip was rescheduled.
Still trying to get into the dentist to have his dentures done. It's been crazy here for that.
No movement other than regular payments to the car. We fit, it just isn't comfortable if hubby is with us. However, I don't want to settle for a vehicle. I want to get what I want and right now, we aren't in the position financially/credit wise to afford that.

Personal Goals, I crushed the having a baby thing. 🤣 And I've been steadily decluttering still. With us wanting to move in the spring, I'm definitely wanting to purge everything I can.
Half marathon was postponed, again, this time because I had covid induced pneumonia 3 weeks before the race. So that was obviously out since I could barely make it 13 feet, let alone 13 miles.

Happy day after I-ate-too-much-day. I bought a few gifts for my mom today, for her stocking, since Dad is gone. My heart is heavy for our firsts and I’m trying to give her some joy. I’m hoping the hummingbird hanging nests will be something she likes.

I still haven’t found anything for the kids in the family. Not even mine. Seriously wondering if cash is easier this year.

Today I planted flower seeds and finished up decorating outside. Even knocked out a few chores. Same tomorrow. Maybe get gift cards and call it macaroni since 3 of the 4 are moving overseas in a few months.

The firsts are so hard. :sad1:

We decided we are giving our kids cash this year. First time doing that but we usually budget $1000 each and I find it crazy to spend that much on material things of my choice when they could be investing some of their gift. They are very good at saving and while I usually don't have the slightest difficulty spending $1000, I'm having a harder time as they get older and the last few years a lot of it was just wasteful spending.

@npatellye
I'm so sorry to hear of your father's health problems. I hope he gets well soon. :hug: :flower3:

Life/health is so precious and we all often take it for granted until something happens to remind us.

2021 Financial Goals:

• Continue to settle accounts through my debt settlement program. I would love to get all accounts settled (though not fully paid off) by the end of next year. I have news on this front. I decided to take a debt consolidation loan offered by my program. All of my accounts are now settled and paid off and I'll continue making biweekly payments but now they're toward the loan. It is going to cost slightly more due to interest but I'm just happy to have things paid off and settled.
  • Save $10,000 towards my summer or fall wedding. I picked out my dress and put half down. We've still got to book a place to stay and flights. We're going to put those on his credit card and I'll pay him extra every month to help whittle down the balance. Whether it ever amounts to $10,000 I don't know.
  • Start saving towards a family party (reception by another name) by the end of the year. Still on hold.
  • Give my boyfriend more money towards the household expenses if needed. We're going to rebudget once we get a feel for the utility bills in the new house. Done.
  • Refinance my car loan if my credit score improves. Will try again early next year.
2021 Personal Goals:

• I accomplished basically nothing that I had hoped/planned on a personal level wrt losing weight or organizing my life. I'm so frustrated!

I accomplished basically nothing that I had hoped/planned on a personal level wrt losing weight or organizing my life. I'm so frustrated!
It sounds pathetic but I don’t even bother to set personal goals for each NY. It would require a radical lifestyle/routine change which is not going to happen unless I quit working, which is also not going to happen any time soon.
Being home, collecting unemployment for 2 months when covid first hit, made me realize how absolutely physically exhausting my job really is. It made me really want to eliminate every debt including mortgage, so that some day I could work part time. Only then would I be able to carve out some me time to exercise.
I still take the stairs when possible most of the time but truthfully by Friday I’m about ready to fall flat on my face. Busy weekends full of laundry and housework are not exactly restful but include some downtime so that I feel able to start it all over again on Monday.
Part time sounds heavenly. :)

@ruadisneyfan2 You did the big thing this year--you paid off your mortgage! Can you set a date where you could drop down some hours at work now? I hope so. You sound so tired.
:hug:
:goodvibes :hug:
No date in sight. Part of that is my own fault. We love to cruise and just sailed a 5-night in late Nov/early Dec. We also have a 14-night Panama Canal sailing in March that's been rescheduled due to covid. Even if I cancelled those, we need to save up for a new truck for dh. His check engine light is still on after 10 visits to the Chevy dealer and after shelling out almost $7000 in repairs they expect us to keep paying for more while they keep guessing what the real problem is. No way. I'm done paying out for that thing. It won't pass inspection as is.

Also we're still using the bedroom furniture I bought when I was 19 or 20 which was a looong time ago. lol. Right now I'm paying back the chunk of $$ we took out of savings to pay back the last bit of the mortgage.

I'm also noticing there may be an ever so slow/tiny leak behind our master bath shower stall. The drywall is turning funky colors and luckily dh can tear it all out and repair it but we'd have to empty a large/full bathroom closet for him to do that and honestly I haven't had a minute. (Never again am I taking a vacation so close to Christmas.)

I'm making progress but they're all big $$ things I'm saving for, like $10-20k each.
Anyway, I really want a good chunk of savings before I go part time. I have several coworkers who feel the same who are also in the same position with finances like, "Let me just get through my daughter's wedding..." or something similar. It just seems like it's always something, not just for me but them too. I guess that's how life is. I'm just relieved that it's not something horrible. At this point with our families, as long as the problem isn't cancer or someone dying, I feel like we're doing ok. Every now and then I just vent about my lack of free time but I'm grateful to have a secure job that pays decent and provides good health, dental, vision, etc. Not everyone has that so sometimes it's a trade off, you accept the bad with the good.

FINAL UPDATE BASED ON ORIGINAL/UPDATED GOALS (red - last updates; purple - final updates)

2021 Financial Goals:
DH has a car payment that is an auto-deduction from his paycheck. (We keep our finances somewhat separate so I have not included this in any of the numbers I have previously posted here). He still has 4 years left on this loan, but I could help get it paid off by July. Previously I wasn’t in any rush on this one but his job is pretty physically demanding and it’s taking its toll on him. We’ve discussed the option of him quitting by the end of 2021 (when his 401K will be vested) and him finding something else to do as long as my job remains stable. It would be nice to not have the car payment should we choose to go down that route. – Used money from savings to payoff DH’s car in January. All of this was replaced over the next few months. DH is not going to be quitting his job though.

I will then start focusing on the mortgage in August so I can continue to chip away at that and meet my goal of being mortgage free by mid-2026. If all goes to plan, I should be able to double my payments for the year. Refinanced mortgage in March to lower required monthly payments, however will continue to overpay to be mortgage free by June 2026. Reduced mortgage balance by 14.75% at year end.

Max out 401K contributions. Completed

Contribute $100/paycheck to my HSA – I have already signed up for this, so you could say I have already completed this. Goal updated midyear to max out HSA contributions. Completed

Contribute $2,500 to DS15’s 529. Completed

Grow savings by $5,000. Completed

2021 Personal Goals:

Have a will drawn up – failed in 2020 to get this done so let’s see if I can do it in 2021. I recently discovered my company has this as one of our benefits so I may be able to do something quick and easy with our partner on this and knock it out. Can’t seem to prioritize this. My company provides resources for this as one of our benefits, but I still can't seem to get it done. Nopeity nope, despite that I should have tried to get this done prior to the acquisition of our company (which was complete this week), however we were told that our current benefits will be maintained through 2022 so I still have time to take advantage of this service next year.

I need to really focus on getting healthier – lose some weight and at least get back to regular walking and maybe work my way up to running again. It will be a long path, but quite honestly, I am not going to have any work clothes I will fit in whenever we are able to go back to the office and I have no desire to spend a lot of money on a new wardrobe so this is really a MUST. Was doing really well with this and then had a work trip a few weeks ago and all my good habits went down the drain (but I did lose about 20 pounds, so great progress – unfortunately I probably still have 40ish to go). I have another trip I leave for tomorrow and will get back on track after I get back from that on Wednesday. Will allow myself to enjoy the holidays but still keep it in check. I did just buy the Wine Advent Calendar from Aldi’s this weekend. So, a glass of wine every evening in December leading up to Christmas will be my main treat. I think I am technically a little healthier than I started the year, but no where close to what I wanted to do. I really didn’t anticipate the world sucking for the entire year so mental health took a hit. But will continue to focus on it in 2022.

Vacation plans – ???? I am really hoping we can do something. Ended up taking 3 small trips – two long weekends to Atlanta with my sister to visit my niece, and a week in Destin, FL with DH and DS16. Nice enough trips and didn’t spend nearly as much as in previous years. I ended up having 3 work trips in the past 3 months as well.

Will be heading over to the 2022 thread soon to post new goals. Mortgage and savings are going to be the name of the game for quite some time. Spreadsheet is getting updated and will be ready to go January 1

Hi all, how has everyone been? I have been popping on to read now and then but life has been busy. How that is, when I work from home and have an empty nest now, I am not sure - I guess in years past, I was just busier but am not used to that former pace anymore when I had kids at home and a long commute.

Now I am just trying to make it through the next few days until my work closes for the week between Christmas and New Year's. We're traveling to see family this year after not last year and looking forward to it, but it makes me nervous. We're all boostered, so hoping we'll stay healthy. Before the latest variant, we planned an NYC long weekend for January while the boys are between semesters, and plan on going as long as nothing gets much worse. Bought tickets to two shows - this is what I had wanted to do for my milestone birthday last year. Will be only almost a year late, lol!

My work gave us holiday bonuses this week, so that will go toward the tickets' cost. I also found out that I am one of a few selected for another bonus at the end of the year for going above and beyond this year. The money will be nice (not sure what I want to use it for yet) but it's nicer to know that people see how much I do, you know?

I hope everyone is having a happy and peaceful holiday season.

:goodvibes :hug:
No date in sight. Part of that is my own fault. We love to cruise and just sailed a 5-night in late Nov/early Dec. We also have a 14-night Panama Canal sailing in March that's been rescheduled due to covid. Even if I cancelled those, we need to save up for a new truck for dh. His check engine light is still on after 10 visits to the Chevy dealer and after shelling out almost $7000 in repairs they expect us to keep paying for more while they keep guessing what the real problem is. No way. I'm done paying out for that thing. It won't pass inspection as is.

Also we're still using the bedroom furniture I bought when I was 19 or 20 which was a looong time ago. lol. Right now I'm paying back the chunk of $$ we took out of savings to pay back the last bit of the mortgage.

I'm also noticing there may be an ever so slow/tiny leak behind our master bath shower stall. The drywall is turning funky colors and luckily dh can tear it all out and repair it but we'd have to empty a large/full bathroom closet for him to do that and honestly I haven't had a minute. (Never again am I taking a vacation so close to Christmas.)

I'm making progress but they're all big $$ things I'm saving for, like $10-20k each.
Anyway, I really want a good chunk of savings before I go part time. I have several coworkers who feel the same who are also in the same position with finances like, "Let me just get through my daughter's wedding..." or something similar. It just seems like it's always something, not just for me but them too. I guess that's how life is. I'm just relieved that it's not something horrible. At this point with our families, as long as the problem isn't cancer or someone dying, I feel like we're doing ok. Every now and then I just vent about my lack of free time but I'm grateful to have a secure job that pays decent and provides good health, dental, vision, etc. Not everyone has that so sometimes it's a trade off, you accept the bad with the good.
I hear you. We are slowly taking care of things in the house that have needed it since we moved in 20 years ago. Just got sidetracked by my car needing all new tires and some other things (how is that, when I barely drive anymore?!). We finally have (a tiny bit) more in our nest egg account than we do left on our mortgage, but we are not quite ready to drain that account to pay it off yet. Want to get DS18 a little more through college first. But we feel lucky that we haven't lost jobs in the last two years, still working from home so some expenses are down, good health insurance, etc.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter