Debt Dumpers - 2019

Not debt dumping, per se, but we're looking ahead to planning out our vacations for the year. We have the wedding and honeymoon planned for and a quick trip to Indiana to get everyone there fitted for their wedding attire. We're looking for a not terribly expensive (think $1000ish) 3 or 4 day vacation to take the family on. We really can't make any decisions! What are your favorite lower cost trips you've taken?
How exciting, a wedding planned! Quick trips you say for family, so with kids? Airmiles factored in or driving? Are you close to any big cities? If driving, I might say search out things and cities within an 8 hour drive. Time of year taking 3 to 4 day vacation? Some favorites have been Great Wolf Lodge, ski trips to Colorado ski resorts (but that is with driving so no airfare and not a 4 day).
Good news, DH (gov't contractor) just got word that they are now funded through 1/18. Tomorrow was going to be the last day, so I don't know what happened. But it's a relief.
Good news! Sometimes that's how it works, last second!

Not debt dumping, per se, but we're looking ahead to planning out our vacations for the year. We have the wedding and honeymoon planned for and a quick trip to Indiana to get everyone there fitted for their wedding attire. We're looking for a not terribly expensive (think $1000ish) 3 or 4 day vacation to take the family on. We really can't make any decisions! What are your favorite lower cost trips you've taken?

You are in OK, right? How close is St Louis to you? They have an awesome children’s museum (called City Museum, I believe) and a really nice zoo.

I probably should have added in some more info. It's me, DF, and we have 2 toddler girls. Completely flexible on dates since the girls aren't in school. We are in Oklahoma. We're up for anything unless it's super physical, since DF blew his knee out as a teen and can't move on it like he used to and we have to corral the girls. But we do like outdoor stuff like easier hikes, camping, beaches, etc. I'm not including the gas or lodging in that budget, that was mainly for the actual activities.

Canada would be a fun one. Do you need a passport to travel in and out of there? Last time I went to Niagara I was 10 or so and we didn't need one.
We have thought about a weekend trip up to St Louis a few times because it's about 5.5 hours away.

Can I just say how much I hated 2018 for it's dastardly results on my 401K? Came out of the year with a LOWER balance than what I went into it with despite a 14% contribution and 6% company match. :crazy2: :mad: :sad:
It's discouraging right now but remember you still own the same # of shares. It's like waves in the ocean, sometimes high sometimes low. It will recover. It does affect people who are making withdraws though.
For all of us not yet retired, now is actually the time to buy, not when it's high. :goodvibes

I probably should have added in some more info. It's me, DF, and we have 2 toddler girls. Completely flexible on dates since the girls aren't in school. We are in Oklahoma. We're up for anything unless it's super physical, since DF blew his knee out as a teen and can't move on it like he used to and we have to corral the girls. But we do like outdoor stuff like easier hikes, camping, beaches, etc. I'm not including the gas or lodging in that budget, that was mainly for the actual activities.

Canada would be a fun one. Do you need a passport to travel in and out of there? Last time I went to Niagara I was 10 or so and we didn't need one.
We have thought about a weekend trip up to St Louis a few times because it's about 5.5 hours away.

I'm in a Canada toucher state. You need a passport or enhanced driver's license. Your kids need birth certificates.

You do need passports but if you drive to Canada, they don't even stamp them, just look at them. It was a little bit of a letdown for the kids when we went a couple years ago because they wanted stamps.

San Antonio Hill Country, Branson, Kansas City, CO mountains would guess it depends also and how much driving you feel like doing! San Antonio we've stayed in a really nice I think it was either Hyatt or Marriott when kids were younger they had kid activities and movie nights, a lazy river. We did the Riverwalk and SeaWorld. Branson have been camping there several times, and there are lots of things there to see/do and it's amazingly busy and touristy. KC have been to the Great Wolf lodge and a few things like the Lego discovery.
You are in OK, right? How close is St Louis to you? They have an awesome children’s museum (called City Museum, I believe) and a really nice zoo.
I second that, the zoo is amazing there, and my kids went on a class trip when we lived in MO to the museum. Recommend late spring/summer/fall if visiting.

I think that most financial planning type people would classify mortgage as a debt. That is a bit scary for me as my mortgage is still quite high at this phase of my life. I think I tell myself that it's not a debt per se so that I don't become completely overwhelmed and give up :).

As a side note, I quietly lurked on the Debt Dumpers thread all last year but really want to try to get a better handle on my finances and my spending so I'm hoping to actually contribute to this thread during 2019. Good luck to everyone with their financial goals in 2019!!!

ETA to add: I am very curious as to what your tag line means Karl66 :).

I've also been lurking for years, but I have some specific goals this year so I'm going to try to join in as well. I do think of my mortgage as debt, but the (high) property taxes as a living expense, since I'll never get rid of those.
My #1 goal this year is to pay off our two car loans. One will be gone in 6 mos and the other will probably be about a year, as I tack on the money that I was paying on car #1 to car #2. I'm hoping to keep these cars for a long time. But DH is a car guy and he'll have another one before long. Hopefully we will have some cash for this to offset the cost some, I plan to bank the payments once they're both paid off.
I also borrowed $3K from my kids savings account (which I fund, not really their money) to pay for braces that had a pay upfront discount. I think I owe about $2200 back to that account, so I'd like to pay that off within the year also. If I don't, I'm not too worried as I'm really just paying back myself. :D
I'd also like to increase my emergency and house fund. Which is all those house repairs that inevitably come up and derail all your hard work. :rotfl2:Our septic system is almost 30 yrs old so that'll need replacing sooner than later. I planned on saving up for it 10 years ago when we moved in, knowing it was old, but never did. >:( So this is the year to start that!
I'm supposed to start a part time job in the next two weeks, so that will go a long way. We do not need it to live on, so the goal is to use it for debt dumping!

Last edited:
You do need passports but if you drive to Canada, they don't even stamp them, just look at them. It was a little bit of a letdown for the kids when we went a couple years ago because they wanted stamps.

Children under 16 only need their birth certificates to go to Canada unless you're flying in. Heck I'm an adult and I'm disappointed they don't stamp my passport! Going to Niagara on the Lake again next weekend!

Children under 16 only need their birth certificates to go to Canada unless you're flying in. Heck I'm an adult and I'm disappointed they don't stamp my passport! Going to Niagara on the Lake again next weekend!
My oldest was 16 when we went so we just got the younger one a passport too. But I didn't realize this rule was in place. Niagara on the Lake was so nice!

Murphy is over here today, part of it money stuff and part not. Glad I am working at home today so I didn't have a commute on top of it. REALLY glad it's the weekend.

Last week I noticed the registration on the car DS18 drives expires this month. We didn't get a notice about it. Ok, no problem, will go online and re-register it. Online system says the title number is incorrect. But I am looking at the title and we have had this car for 6 years so what's the problem. So I call the main motor vehicle office and they cannot find the car by tag or title number. Using DH's last name (for some reason we only put him on this car), they can see the dealer filed it with them years ago but that's it. They don't know what's going on, but that's obviously why we didn't get a notice. DS has the car at school today so I will have to wait until Monday to call again to have them escalate this because they need the registration number. Hopefully this will be an easy (and quick) fix and I am glad I noticed now that it needs a new sticker, not on the last day of the month.

Washing machine was supposed to come today. Delivery guy says one of the water valves is rusty and a plumber has to come change it because he couldn't turn it off. So, that would mean no new washer today. They put it in my garage and said to call back when plumber has been here and they'll come install it and haul away the old one. Called the plumber and a stroke of luck, they could come out today. They get here and say the valve is fine, the nut was rusty and if the guy had used some elbow grease, it wouldn't have been a problem. They took the old machine out, put it in my garage (I will have to call the store to come get it, plumber won't take it and I already paid for haul away) and installed the new one. Drain pan didn't fit so I plan to let the store know about the kerfuffle and that I need to return the pan ($25 for that part). Paid $225 to the plumber, which I am annoyed at, but they do great work and I trust them so...whatever, sigh. At least I can do laundry again.

And then finally, they started a new timesheet system at work and mine won't let me put the correct charge codes in and won't let me save and approve it. People are "on it" to help me fix it but I have to follow up Monday when I am in the office. None of these things are earth-shattering but today, it just frustrates me. I don't need more things to keep track of, you know?

Thanks for letting me vent! Have a good weekend everyone!

Thanks for letting me vent! Have a good weekend everyone!
Vent away! We all have it happen. Mine was earlier this week. ;)

Scheduling DH's truck into the shop at the end of this month for a heater core replacement. $800. I just sigh and plug it in. *edit--I'm super grateful for the extra paycheck this month to flat out pay for this repair*

I am also a lurker and posted occasionally on the 2018 thread. I am excited to say we met all of our goals for 2018. I am not starting 2019 off real well as I have been informed my job will be eliminated in March. I am the main source of income and benefits provider for our family. I will receive 19 weeks of severance but the healthcare benefits are what hurt. Below are the goals we have so far in 2019:

1.) Find a new job - Me and DH is looking for part time job to help out
2.) Pay off DH's credit card: Currently 0% so need to pay off before interest hits- need to confirm amount with him as the soccer club he works for will pay some of it due to it being Club expenses
3.) Increase savings - amount TBD
4.) Pay remaining balance for March Disney trip (if do not have job by balance due date will cancel) Airfare is already purchased so will just save the airfare credit to use in Nov.
5.) Save money for brother's wedding cruise in Nov.
6.) Would like to do a small trip to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary but will depend on job

From a personal perspective:
1.) Lose last 13 pounds! I have lost 87 pounds in 2018 so trying to hit that 100 pound mark!
2.) Complete first full marathon
3.) Learn something new (hobby, skill, take a class)

Finally got amount of DH's card. He owes $7,889. The Soccer Club owes him $4k so once he receives that money we will only owe $3,889. I am planning to pay the full amount because the club is dragging their feet.
DH's check engine light came on yesterday so now we have a $700 car repair. Luckily I have the money in our emergency fund but that takes a big chunk from there.
No job yet but have made several contacts, so hopefully something will work out soon.

I recently realized that while putting a good amount of money on my cc debt, i could be putting so much more. I was still spending too much on "stuff", taking away from money I could have been putting on my debt. My goal was to use cash or my debit card for everything but groceries and gas (love me some cc reward points!).

I did well this week. I needed batteries and wanted a cheap headphones from Target, so I used my debit card. That's all I bought all week other than food. For me, that's great! I am sitting here wondering what the heck I'm going to do all weekend, though, without running errands picking up things I really don't need. It's becoming more and more clear that for me, spending is more about the entertainment of it. Going out (alone, which I love), listening to my favorite pod casts in the car, finding just the thing I "need", etc. Time to work at finding a replacement hobby!

I've also been lurking for years, but I have some specific goals this year so I'm going to try to join in as well. I do think of my mortgage as debt, but the (high) property taxes as a living expense, since I'll never get rid of those.
My #1 goal this year is to pay off our two car loans.
Welcome!

DH's check engine light came on yesterday so now we have a $700 car repair. Luckily I have the money in our emergency fund but that takes a big chunk from there.
Scheduling DH's truck into the shop at the end of this month for a heater core replacement. $800.
Cars, always something! I think most of us that post here have had some car issue unexpectedly pop up. I have to bring mine into the shop Monday for my appointment to fix what happened on New Year's on the interstate. Hoping it's covered under warranty.

So, I had an interesting special offer come in from one of my credit cards I already have, offering 0% balance transfer through April 2020. I already have had this card over two years, don't have any outstanding balances right now on anything to do the transfer, other than my car loan, I just thought that it was interesting. I've only ever heard of balance transfers as a signup type of bonus.

Welcome!

So, I had an interesting special offer come in from one of my credit cards I already have, offering 0% balance transfer through April 2020. I already have had this card over two years, don't have any outstanding balances right now on anything to do the transfer, other than my car loan, I just thought that it was interesting. I've only ever heard of balance transfers as a signup type of bonus.

I routinely get balance transfer offers on several of my cards. It's pretty routine. They send blank checks with the offer about every 3 months The one card I usually use for my balance transfers is a card I've had since 2004 that I have literally ONLY used for balance transfers because the offers are always available and beat all my other card balance transfer offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter