Debating Sell to Buy

LeslieLou

DIS Veteran
I am debating selling a contract we bought in 2011 resale on the cheap. We currently have about half 2020 points banked.

I really want 100 points at a resort with more years left (thought I LOVE BRV) and I struggle to justify the cost compared to the relative steal we got in 2011. The resorts I really love at Epcot area do not have longer lives on them.
FWIW we have another 50 points feb UY at BLT so can retain blue card status with the sale (also bought 2011)
Would you consider selling this contract?
What would you buy?

I edited your post to remove details so not to be seen as a for sale post,

I have sold to buy other resorts and I don’t regret doing it. Just last year I sold BWV to buy RIV And then this year sold another BWV to buy BLT all to get resorts I liked better and foe the extra contract life.

I think If you would rather own more points and selling helps you get that, I think it makes sense in the end.

BRV resale is pretty insane right now. There are better mathematical choices out there, especially if you want more years.

But, yea, to get a resort like VGF/Poly/RIV you are going to have to pony up a lot of cash, and maybe that isn't so appealing. Middle ground is good old SSR, which has changed very little in resale value, compared to the other resorts. Cheaper than BRV and much longer on the deed. Depending on how you travel, that might work better for you. If you change your mind, it's easy enough to sell SSR.

We just bought two BRV's 100 @ $99 w/2020 points and 50 @ $110 w/2019 (49) & 2020 points. My opinion is the 100 is worth $120-125 and the 50 worth $130-135. I look for aggressive buys and was thinking about the hard refurb coming and the fact that we love that resort. You'll have to do the math and figure out if a flip might work for you.

Initially we were looking for AKV but couldn't find a reasonably priced contract. We own two OKW's and just sent a deposit for two more OKW's last week. Most people want a deal so expect aggressive offers, but I think you can stand your ground as there are few BRV's available.

Note - you can transfer the balance of your 2020 points to your other account and sell it stripped. Again, do the math!

I’m not sure about your numbers, but how does buying more BLT sound to you? Would the price be worth getting another 20 years?

If you love BRV, why don't you keep the BRV and buy 50 more BLT points? Then you'd have 100 at BLT and it has a longer life than BRV. Just make sure you get the same UY so you can combine the points at BLT.

Small contracts can be hard to find, but Feb has the majority of contracts at BLT, so you might get lucky. Something closer to 100 points might be easier to find though.

Alternatively, don't do anything now, but when your BRV points expire, buy something then.

Edit: I read your "I LOVE BRV" comment and thought you meant your contract you are planning to sell is BRV. I reread it, and it doesn't actually say that, so I don't actually know if my post makes any sense. Oops! :rolleyes: :rotfl:

I edited your post to remove details so not to be seen as a for sale post,

I have sold to buy other resorts and I don’t regret doing it. Just last year I sold BWV to buy RIV And then this year sold another BWV to buy BLT all to get resorts I liked better and foe the extra contract life.

I think If you would rather own more points and selling helps you get that, I think it makes sense in the end.
Thank you for fixing my post!

yes, I’m worried about regretting it and wishing I had just bought more points, but we don’t have more time to go to Disney 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣 and I don’t think I want 3-50 point contracts at different resorts. I want a contract that’s a little more robust for the 11 month window.
I’m still in the category of nervous about RIV but I have not visited...maybe I can convince my husband to take a trip...🙏

BRV resale is pretty insane right now. There are better mathematical choices out there, especially if you want more years.

But, yea, to get a resort like VGF/Poly/RIV you are going to have to pony up a lot of cash, and maybe that isn't so appealing. Middle ground is good old SSR, which has changed very little in resale value, compared to the other resorts. Cheaper than BRV and much longer on the deed. Depending on how you travel, that might work better for you. If you change your mind, it's easy enough to sell SSR.

I definitely am looking to moderate the capital required. I’ve recently read about the idea of SAP points (hadnt heard of that before). We’ve never stayed at Saratoga before, so I need to give this some thought!

Thank you for fixing my post!

yes, I’m worried about regretting it and wishing I had just bought more points, but we don’t have more time to go to Disney 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣 and I don’t think I want 3-50 point contracts at different resorts. I want a contract that’s a little more robust for the 11 month window.
I’m still in the category of nervous about RIV but I have not visited...maybe I can convince my husband to take a trip...🙏

Well if you have more points and no more time, then you get bigger rooms. Problem solved. :thumbsup2

We also bought our BRV at a similar time and sold at beginning of pandemic. Mainly for two reasons, first I also wanted to own at a different resort. Second, I thought prices might fall so rolled the dice.

An interesting thing happened though. We’ve basically stopped looking. Unless an insane deal comes our way we’re planning to give Swolphin a shot. Perfect location without the risk. We’ll see how it goes.

Anyway, I see no issue doing what you’re wanting to do provided you have a plan in mind for where you want to buy. I do think the 2042 will drop in price eventually and I’d rather be on the front end of that decrease.

We just bought two BRV's 100 @ $99 w/2020 points and 50 @ $110 w/2019 (49) & 2020 points. My opinion is the 100 is worth $120-125 and the 50 worth $130-135. I look for aggressive buys and was thinking about the hard refurb coming and the fact that we love that resort. You'll have to do the math and figure out if a flip might work for you.

Initially we were looking for AKV but couldn't find a reasonably priced contract. We own two OKW's and just sent a deposit for two more OKW's last week. Most people want a deal so expect aggressive offers, but I think you can stand your ground as there are few BRV's available.

Note - you can transfer the balance of your 2020 points to your other account and sell it stripped. Again, do the math!
Interesting points!
I had no idea a refurb was coming - do you have any more info about that?

also I had never considered selling a stripped contract. I guess I assumed that would be a bad choice. Now I will math it out!
Thank you for the experiences on BRV!

I’m not sure about your numbers, but how does buying more BLT sound to you? Would the price be worth getting another 20 years?
This has been on my mind!!
We do love BLT And being able to book a consecutive week without bank and borrow is appealing.
I saw BLT was #3 on best resale value considering purchase price dues and years remaining. This is a strong consideration
I do wish the studios had a Murphy bed...

If you love BRV, why don't you keep the BRV and buy 50 more BLT points? Then you'd have 100 at BLT and it has a longer life than BRV. Just make sure you get the same UY so you can combine the points at BLT.

Small contracts can be hard to find, but Feb has the majority of contracts at BLT, so you might get lucky. Something closer to 100 points might be easier to find though.

Alternatively, don't do anything now, but when your BRV points expire, buy something then.

Edit: I read your "I LOVE BRV" comment and thought you meant your contract you are planning to sell is BRV. I reread it, and it doesn't actually say that, so I don't actually know if my post makes any sense. Oops! :rolleyes: :rotfl:
I sure did mean to type “though I love BRV”!! I think that’s why I feel very torn about selling.

I am a bit worried about finding a 50 point contract for BLT and I don’t think I want to spend on 100 points without selling anything. I will need to keep my eyes out and try not to be concerned with the premium that comes with 50 points

We also bought our BRV at a similar time and sold at beginning of pandemic. Mainly for two reasons, first I also wanted to own at a different resort. Second, I thought prices might fall so rolled the dice.

An interesting thing happened though. We’ve basically stopped looking. Unless an insane deal comes our way we’re planning to give Swolphin a shot. Perfect location without the risk. We’ll see how it goes.

Anyway, I see no issue doing what you’re wanting to do provided you have a plan in mind for where you want to buy. I do think the 2042 will drop in price eventually and I’d rather be on the front end of that decrease.
We love Swan and Dolphin!! It’s an interesting idea which actually bolsters my feeling of investing in a few more BLT points and doing split stays at the Swolphin Instead of DVC.

the imminent price decrease on 2042 does contribute to my internal voice telling me to sell. There cannot be that many more years of sales at current prices.

I would sell your 2042 and buy more BLT. It sounds like you would prefer to have more points at one resort instead of having a little here and a little there. You also want a longer contract and to maximize your 2042’s resale value. I think if you sell, it will also provide you some flexibility as to the amount of points you can buy. That way, you’ll have extra funds if you find a great 75-100 point contract instead of limiting yourself to 50-point contracts only.

The resort you love is the best choice - we all know that. Find a way to make it work. I don't know about timing for the BRV refurb but I've read in several reliable places that it is coming. I felt like BRV was a solid resale for us and that gave me the confidence to buy.

We're looking to DH's retirement in several years and loading up on points at aggressive prices knowing we will flip several at some point down the road. We'll hold the most valuable (smallest points) contracts the longest or pass them down if we don't need the $$ in old age.

I hear you on this! The Wilderness Lodge is our first Disney love in terms of resorts (followed closely by Animal Kingdom Lodge) and so when we bought in, we knew it had to be there, and we started with BRV since we could get a really good deal, and the studios sleep 5 (we have two kids who won’t share a bed). Have you considered maybe adding on at CCV so that you can keep going to the WL past 2042?

Only you can know what’s right for you. For us, we decided to keep BRV and added on at CCV. We love the BRV villas and it’s easier to snag a studio there, but also wanted the extra points in case we decide to splurge for larger accommodations (for example, we’ve booked a cabin for a few nights in December). If we did end up needing to sell, we’d probably sell our BRV over CCV, just because CCV has a longer contract and we hope to spend a few weeks in winter in Disney when we retire (and then pass them along to our kids).

I am a bit worried about finding a 50 point contract for BLT and I don’t think I want to spend on 100 points without selling anything

You should be able to sell easily now, and that contract will eventually pop up, if you are patient. BLT is a very large resort. Right now, resale is very hot, but it won't be forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!