DDW does Disneyland! - 6/28 Complete w/ Grand Finale of WDW Food Photos!

DonaldDoleWhip said:
Glad you enjoyed the intro! That's a great way of putting it - the park was lacking in Disney magic. That feeling is largely gone - they've worked on everything, down to the background music! (I really like this Victorian-style music loop that plays in parts of Paradise Pier.) As for Califoria, I absolutely love it. It's a tougher trip for us due to the 5-6 hour flight from NY, but I'd still highly recommend it. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much! As another teaser, here's the only picture I got from the actual "World of Color" show. :laughing:

I'm really enjoying your trip report. DLR is where we visit most often and I love hearing positive reviews from a WDW vet. This picture of WOC shows one of my favorite effects. But you just have to experience it in person.

I really hope to make a trip out to DL someday. I know that our family members, who already think we spend way too much time at WDW, will think we're absolutely insane for paying to fly out to the 'west coast version' of the park. :lmao: But there's a lot of things I'd love to see, and I love how compact it is. Plus I'm totally jealous that Space Mountain sits two to a row. That would make for a much better photo of us! :laughing:

LOVE the Starbucks update! I don't think Starbucks is the best coffee in the world, but I think it's a HUGE step up from most of Disney's java offerings. Plus, considering how deeply entrenched in corporate sponsorship Disney has been since day one, I find the controversy so silly. As soon as reports hit of the Main Street Starbucks doing soft openings I am so heading there!

I'm really enjoying your trip report. DLR is where we visit most often and I love hearing positive reviews from a WDW vet. This picture of WOC shows one of my favorite effects. But you just have to experience it in person.
I'm so glad you're enjoying the report! And I also loved that effect from World of Color - it's a it's such a cool way to kick off the show. :goodvibes

I really hope to make a trip out to DL someday. I know that our family members, who already think we spend way too much time at WDW, will think we're absolutely insane for paying to fly out to the 'west coast version' of the park. :lmao: But there's a lot of things I'd love to see, and I love how compact it is. Plus I'm totally jealous that Space Mountain sits two to a row. That would make for a much better photo of us! :laughing:

LOVE the Starbucks update! I don't think Starbucks is the best coffee in the world, but I think it's a HUGE step up from most of Disney's java offerings. Plus, considering how deeply entrenched in corporate sponsorship Disney has been since day one, I find the controversy so silly. As soon as reports hit of the Main Street Starbucks doing soft openings I am so heading there!
I really hope you can make the trip eventually! DL may be small, but there's so much to see. And Space Mountain is one of my favorite rides in Disneyland Park! In addition to the altered seating layout, the track is much smoother, and the soundtrack for the ride is incredible (speaking of which, if it sounds similar to the music from The Incredibles, that's because both soundtracks were composed by Michael Giacchino :thumbsup2). You also have to try Indiana Jones Adventure - it has the exact same ride vehicle and track layout as Dinosaur in AK, but with better music, visuals, and one of the greatest queues ever!

As for Starbucks, I feel the same way. It's not something I'd go out of my way for, but most people see it as an improvement over the previous option. And since Disney is making a blatant effort to keep Disney theming (and food items) at each of these locations, it seems like a win-win for everyone. :)

After an exciting day (filled with park hopping and a few stops at the hotel room), it was time to head back to our hotel for dinner. Just like on our first trip to DL, we stayed at the Grand Californian for 2 nights.

These automatic doors at the hotel entrance are gorgeous. :goodvibes

IMG_5917_zpsd2d3d7c7.jpg

The lobby is very reminiscent of WL and AKL's lobbies, with its soaring ceiling and handcrafted style.

IMG_6109_zps526f661f.jpg

Room pics:

IMG_5920_zpse1d08139.jpg

IMG_5922_zps0ff22020.jpg

Although our room was referred to as a "pool view", it was actually much better. :thumbsup2

IMG_6056_zps2113554d.jpg

Grizzly Peak and Tower of Terror

IMG_6054_zps39a09e1a.jpg

Cars Land's Cadillac Range in the distance

IMG_6057_zpsff37d4d3.jpg

It's time to kick this dining report into high gear: for dinner, we headed downstairs to Grand Californian's signature restaurant, Napa Rose. With a food and beverage menu inspired by California Wine Country, Napa Rose is widely considered to be DL's top restaurant. The accolades don't stop there - Napa Rose also gets some of the highest ratings of all restaurants in Orange County. For these reasons, I was surprised to learn that my mom made the booking only 5 days in advance. ::yes::

IMG_7075_zps385b7ae0.jpg

We actually ate here on our first DL trip over 5 years ago, but didn't love it because we made some disappointing choices. This time, things started off on a high note when we were taken to a nice table next to a window. Occasionally, we could see the monorail pass by.

IMG_7084_zpsbd22a47c.jpg

Here's a look at the interior of the restaurant:

IMG_7082_zps2a62df01.jpg

The long-stemmed roses on each table are a perfect touch.

IMG_7077_zpsb4497379.jpg

Here's the Napa Rose menu - I didn't get a picture of the 4-course tasting menu since we weren't planning on ordering it.

IMG_7078_zps7f9b246f.jpg

One of the starters we ordered on our first meal here was the Sizzling Beach Rock. While the presentation was fun, the flavors weren't very exciting. Ordering a 'gimmicky' appetizer was something we weren't going to do again. ;)

IMG_7079_zps1e47dcbf.jpg

IMG_7080_zps59cc8ee8.jpg

Our meal started off with a bountiful bread basket. Although all the breads were delicious, my favorite was the thin, crispy lavosh, with its cheesy flavor from the Parmigiano-Reggiano.

IMG_7088_zpsc4f1afe5.jpg

For an appetizer, my mom picked the dish that I was planning on ordering (that happens a lot :laughing:). This is the Craft Raised Salmon Trio, with roasted salmon, salmon escabéche, and tangerine-cured sashimi. She liked it, but I tried some and really liked it.

IMG_7094_zpsf9614a10.jpg

To pick something different, my choice was the Pan Roasted Diver Scallops on a Sauce of Lobster and Lemon accented with Vanilla. This was a very good dish, and the buttery sauce paired nicely with the sweetness of the scallops. That said, this appetizer was quite rich, and I was in the mood for something lighter. At the same time, my mom tried some of mine and was more enthusiastic about it than I was...

IMG_7097_zps34ec4ae2.jpg

so we traded. :) Once I had the salmon trio and my mom had the scallops, we were both extremely satisfied. I thought all three salmon components were great, from the roasted salmon with roe to the colorful, zesty escabéche. This is just another reminder that the dishes you order can truly impact your impressions of a restaurant (even if everything is prepared well).

Our meal was off to a great start - would the main courses also manage to impress us?

Yay, a Napa Rose review! It's absolutely on my bucket list for my next trip out west. Those scallops looks amazing.

Jill in CO

Yay, a Napa Rose review! It's absolutely on my bucket list for my next trip out west. Those scallops looks amazing.

Jill in CO
That appetizer was great! Perfectly seared scallops, a rich vanilla sauce, lobster pieces, and crispy waffle chips for garnish. Even though it wasn't what I felt like at the time, I would still highly recommend the scallop dish. Hopefully it'll be on the menu during your next trip to DL. :goodvibes

What a lovely restaurant! Looking at the menu I can see several options that I may have tried but those scallops would definitely be included. Glad that your mom was willing to swap!

Thanks for sharing photos of your room. The view is amazing. I may be staying there when I have an annual conference at the GCH next month. The registration comes with one room and because I live so close I don't really need the room so I was going to give it to a co-worker. (If she only wants to go to the first day of the conference then the room's all MINE!. ;))

One comment about those entry doors to the GC, they are so beautiful but deceptive since I had to wait for someone to exit before I noticed it was the main entrance. I thought it was simply a beautiful piece of artwork or mural strategically placed by the valet area! :rotfl2: Ok, this will be our little secret (along with how ever many people are reading along!) since I think my IQ plummeted there.

I am enjoying your DLR reviews. Thanks for posting. I love Napa Rose. I had to laugh about your comment of your mom getting a reservation only 5 days ahead of time. My DH called for an ADR at Napa Rose for Valentine's day only 1 week ahead. Well, no surprise, they were booked! We went to the parks anyway and decided to try Aerial's Grotto on a whim and they seated us right away....no ADR. Pretty Cool. It can be a problem at some times of the year and Blue Bayou is almost always a problem for a walk up, but you don't need to watch the calendar and make ADR's 180 days in advance for DLR.

What a lovely restaurant! Looking at the menu I can see several options that I may have tried but those scallops would definitely be included. Glad that your mom was willing to swap!

Agreed, Napa Rose has a really nice menu with so many dishes I'd like to try (especially appetizers). The scallops were very good, but quite rich so I wouldn't want a heavy main course after them.

Thanks for sharing photos of your room. The view is amazing. I may be staying there when I have an annual conference at the GCH next month. The registration comes with one room and because I live so close I don't really need the room so I was going to give it to a co-worker. (If she only wants to go to the first day of the conference then the room's all MINE!. ;))

The view was great - it makes me wonder how awesome the "theme park views" actually are! (Ironically, our first room at GCH was a theme park view, but it was more like a "DVC construction view" :laughing:). It'll be pretty cool if you get to stay in the room for your conference! (but it's so nice of you to offer it to someone else :thumbsup2)

One comment about those entry doors to the GC, they are so beautiful but deceptive since I had to wait for someone to exit before I noticed it was the main entrance. I thought it was simply a beautiful piece of artwork or mural strategically placed by the valet area! :rotfl2: Ok, this will be our little secret (along with how ever many people are reading along!) since I think my IQ plummeted there.
I had the exact opposite problem with those doors - I'd read about them before our first stay at GCH, so I knew exactly where they were and wanted to take a picture of them. But people kept walking through the doors while I was trying to get my shot, so the doors wouldn't stay closed! :lmao: What a great and unexpected detail (if you don't know about them in advance like I did ;)).

I am enjoying your DLR reviews. Thanks for posting. I love Napa Rose. I had to laugh about your comment of your mom getting a reservation only 5 days ahead of time. My DH called for an ADR at Napa Rose for Valentine's day only 1 week ahead. Well, no surprise, they were booked! We went to the parks anyway and decided to try Aerial's Grotto on a whim and they seated us right away....no ADR. Pretty Cool. It can be a problem at some times of the year and Blue Bayou is almost always a problem for a walk up, but you don't need to watch the calendar and make ADR's 180 days in advance for DLR.
I'm so glad you're enjoying the reviews - I've enjoyed seeing your live updates pop up from both WDW and DL! :) Agreed - procuring ADRs at Disneyland seem to be much less of an 'event' than it is for WDW. It might be different for the holidays (or for popular locations like Blue Bayou and perhaps Goofy's Kitchen), but it's still better than the year-round madness of WDW's ADR system. :laughing:

I have read some of your other dining reviews, and enjoyed them.

This time around, the picture of your Napa Rose appetizer has compelled me to comment. The scallop appetizer looks so yummy. It was nice of your Mom to swap with you.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

I am so enjoying your DL review. I have never tried the Cove Bar and your review has me wanting to try it!!

I have read some of your other dining reviews, and enjoyed them.

This time around, the picture of your Napa Rose appetizer has compelled me to comment. The scallop appetizer looks so yummy. It was nice of your Mom to swap with you.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Thanks so much for reading and posting! The scallop appetizer was definitely a great dish (the salmon was also great), and perhaps on another day I would've resisted the idea of trading it. :laughing:

I am so enjoying your DL review. I have never tried the Cove Bar and your review has me wanting to try it!!
I'm really glad you're enjoying the reviews! If you try Cove Bar any time soon, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :goodvibes

Oh wow, your dishes at Napa Rose look delicious :goodvibes

When I was in DL I ate out on the patio of the Napa Lounge, I just got a app as I was dining alone but even that was incredible so I really must get back there to experience the full menu and restaurant :thumbsup2

All caught up! I agree with you about Paradise Pier seeming like one big food court, but in a good way. :lmao: Also agree on how well FFP handles Starbucks. I was against Starbucks in the park long ago, but I don't think it interrupts the experience at all.

Napa Rose looks nice, love the Grand Californian.

Looking forward to more great stories and pics!

Oh wow, your dishes at Napa Rose look delicious :goodvibes

When I was in DL I ate out on the patio of the Napa Lounge, I just got a app as I was dining alone but even that was incredible so I really must get back there to experience the full menu and restaurant :thumbsup2
Eating on the patio sounds so nice! I didn't notice anyone eating outside while we were at Napa Rose (perhaps it was too hot?), but it seems like DL offers some great outdoor dining options in general due to the milder weather. I hope you make it back to Napa Rose relatively soon! :goodvibes

All caught up! I agree with you about Paradise Pier seeming like one big food court, but in a good way. :lmao: Also agree on how well FFP handles Starbucks. I was against Starbucks in the park long ago, but I don't think it interrupts the experience at all.

Napa Rose looks nice, love the Grand Californian.

Looking forward to more great stories and pics!
Agreed on both Pacific Wharf and Starbucks - I think Disney did a great job making a 'food court land' and an 'evil' chain feel right at home in DCA. :lmao: (I don't think Starbucks is evil - I'm rather indifferent to it, honestly. :)) And Napa Rose is definitely a dining gem at DL - very expensive, but good food. :thumbsup2

I definitely would have ordered the "gimmicky" appetiser. The Sizzling Beach rock sounds great :thumbsup2

Love the view from your room, how wonderful. DL is looking more and more appealing by the minute.

I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews! And thanks for the info - I remember reading shortly after Ghirardelli opened that the events were related to what people ordered, but it wasn't from an official source (it was Disney Food Blog). It's pretty cool to know that you can see all the events if you stay there long enough! (I obviously wasn't there long enough to figure that out :rotfl:)

I also missed the free chocolate samples, perhaps because I entered through the typical exit. (Didn't want to be tempted to order a sundae! ;)) I missed the sourdough samples too! Those are both great tips for a future DL visit - thanks again. :goodvibes

You're welcome. I have yet to eat at The Cove but after your review I think it's about time. And you can't beat the view!

(FYI-enjoyed your comments on the LIVE thread re:The Californians. I didn't want to highjack the thread anymore-who knew such a brief comment about the 91 and Corona Crush would have so many comments! LOL! It's like totally funny!)

Great photos BTW. :goodvibes

I definitely would have ordered the "gimmicky" appetiser. The Sizzling Beach rock sounds great :thumbsup2

Love the view from your room, how wonderful. DL is looking more and more appealing by the minute.
The Sizzling Beach Rock wasn't 'bad'. But for us, we felt that the money would've been better spent on appetizers with more unique flavors (with the Beach Rock, you're paying a premium for the presentation). It's stayed on the menu for a long time, so clearly a lot of people enjoy it. :goodvibes

I'm so glad to hear DL is looking more and more appealing to you! Now more than ever, I definitely think it's worth the trip. :)

You're welcome. I have yet to eat at The Cove but after your review I think it's about time. And you can't beat the view!

(FYI-enjoyed your comments on the LIVE thread re:The Californians. I didn't want to highjack the thread anymore-who knew such a brief comment about the 91 and Corona Crush would have so many comments! LOL! It's like totally funny!)

Great photos BTW. :goodvibes
Thanks for the comment on the photos, and I hope you try Cove Bar soon! I originally went there to check the lobster nachos off my list, but between the fish tacos, drink, and view, it ended up being a perfect experience. :thumbsup2

And I loved that random conversation about The Californians. It's awesome to know that actual Californians find it funny and agree with many of the references! Obviously some of it is exaggerated (the accents :rotfl:), but I still love it. Now add some organic honey to this melon salad, then take the 91 to Anaheim and get outta here!!! ;)

DDW!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE your DLR reviews so far. I am DYING to go to DLR. I already told dh that if we don't make it before, we are going for my 40th bday (which is getting very close :rotfl2:)

Your pics are gorgeous. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your Napa Rose dinner. If we do that one, it might need to be sans kids. Sounds like a good night for them to explore Downtown Disney!

Napa Rose looks so gorgeous. I think I would have wanted the salmon trio as well. Unfortunately Napa Rose is not on my itenerary for the next trip (were doing Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle) but I may have to stop in the Grand Californian just to look around. Can't wait to hear about the main courses. -Amanda :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!