DDP & DVC rules - still not liking it

I think the thing to remember is that Disney only does what is best for Disney. With the dining plan changing to anything else would allow the system to be gamed resulting in Disney losing money, so you can see why they don't want to do that. With Disney offering discounted passes it is so we go more often and spend more money then we otherwise would have, again a benefit for Disney. Anytime a guests get a benefit it is only because Disney is getting an even bigger benefit. So come up with a reason to explain how Disney would benefit be allowing the number of people on the Dining plan to change on a single reservation.

You could try setting up the reservation as multiple linked reservations with different number of people on each link. That does make it impossible to save dining credits across the links, but could work if you really needed it to.

Me, I'd like if DVC members got a 20% dining discount at select locations. It would get me out of the room and eating out more. The question for Disney would be are the restaurants busy enough that I would be stoping a guest who was paying full price. If not, then they would get more money from me and other DVC guest who also eat in their room a lot. Maybe we'll see something like this when the next recession hits!

I agree with the discount. I am just hopefully becoming a DVC member soon, but I love the dining plan, except for the cost!! So, I have only had it once and now with buying into dvc we will most definitely take advantage of the kitchen and cook etc. But, if they discounted it.. I'd love to have it!! I'd rather not cook or shop or anything like that on vacation, but the cost of that DP is really hard to justify.

Me, I'd like if DVC members got a 20% dining discount at select locations. It would get me out of the room and eating out more. The question for Disney would be are the restaurants busy enough that I would be stoping a guest who was paying full price. If not, then they would get more money from me and other DVC guest who also eat in their room a lot. Maybe we'll see something like this when the next recession hits!

I just got back about a week ago. DVC, at least at the moment, did get 20% off in many table service venues, just like AP. It may be a limited time thing, and doesn't personally affect me as I do have an AP anyway, but I was told that either c would get 20% off. The same is true for shopping discounts at the moment. This may be a limited time thing, though.

I didn't read through all the posts so I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this, but in the past when I have had guests staying for only part of my reservation I didn't add them to the reservation until I checked in at the resort. A room key is issued for them, and then they don't have to partake in the dining plan. This probably wouldn't work if you wanted to make fastpass reservation.... on MDE for your guests, but I never needed to. I have family living in Florida and they usually pop over for a few nights but never the whole stay; the resort has always been fine with adding them at check in. (Of course we were never over occupancy limits)
This has changed the last couple of years. To add them at the resort they have to cancel and rebook the reservation.

I couldn't see the DDP being any other way. You wouldn't go to Mexico and pay for all-inclusive for part of your stay then a-la-carte for the rest. It would be weird and complicated. There would have to be some check-out and check-in process to rescind your wrist band or change sections of the resort. Really the hotels are not meant to be manipulated in this way. Sure you may follow the rule about not exceeding the occupancy, but you are ignoring the rules that guests be on the reservation and not transfer bands.

If you're staying with Mike & Sully for Mon-Wed, then Izma and Kronk for Wed-Sat, just book 2 ressies and link them. You can then get the DDP just for your Mon-Wed guests. But... you're shorting yourself magic bands, since if you book Mike and Sully for the full length and then just have Izma and Kronk stay in their spots, Izma and Kronk would not get bands or FastPasses unless you give them Mike & Sully's.

I like it how it is, but it's subjective. I find ADRs to be a more important part of the trip so I like booking them first.

I'd guess most -- almost all -- guests are there with the same family the entire time. If someone like a parent joins up while on work midway thru a trip then they're on the res from the start.
All Inclusive resort in another country isn't really even close to the same thing as Disney. Especially if you are in a 1 to 3 BR Villa that has a full kitchen. Your options at an AI Resort are pretty much limited to the few on the resort property and by in large will easily save you money vs. out of pocket, and very rarely have full kitchens. Disney has hundreds of options, and depending on your appetite and preferred tastes you could either save or spend more money using the DP vs. out of pocket. Also they aren't link to individual guests. They are linked to the amount of guests on the reservation. The bands are linked and anyone can use as many of the meals as they want until they are gone. So your Mike & Sully and Izma and Krok example is flawed. Unless you mean for him to book seperate reservations including his own, but then you are venturing into availability issues, possibly moving rooms, etc. It's pretty simple, let people book by day, preferably by day and person. So If I am staying for 7 days with 4 people (2 Adults/2 Kids) I should be able to book 3 days for everyone, and 1 day for Adults only if wanted to. If I were on Deluxe Dining that would be plenty of meals for everyone, especially if I have a full kitchen at my disposal. Rarely do we use meals for breakfast. Not mention there may days where we venture off of propery. Disney is fantastic and the primary reason for our trip, but it's not the only thing in Orlando worth seeing...

After all of these years and countless time lurking I have yet to see a real reason for the all-in rule for DDP & DVC. Especially DVC! One of the benefits of DVC is the villa style with more than 1 bedroom.

I am betting that, like us, many members have guests come and stay with them. I have stayed for 10 -14 days in a 2BR (once in a GV) with multiple guests coming in and out. Nothing weird or outside of the rules. My children have stayed for part of the reservation, other family and friends have flown in/out for other parts. MY DH often has to travel for partial time due to work. We've not pushed the guest:room limits ever.

It is absurd for Disney to insist all people have the DDP for all days. If I am there 14 days, why would anyone in their right mind buy the DDP X 13 nights for a guest staying a long weekend and another DDP x 13 nights for a different guest staying 5 nights? And, no, I do not want to change rooms every time.

Did we ever get a reasonable explanation for this rule? Is it a technology issue (I believe this is the impetus behind the FP in one park/day rule despite the upcharge for hopping privileges)? Is it to discourage DDP for DVC users? Blatant play for $$? Why, why, why?

Another complaint just because I am here - having to make ADRs before FP+s sucks. I used to plan park days by opening/closing, parades/shows, arrival(s), departure(s) and then make ADRs based on where we would be now I have to *try* to get ADRs as far our as possible without knowing if the FP+s will be available or the park times. It's sdrawkcab!
Couldn't agree more. Had that issue last summer with our invited guests. They weren't interested in the DP, but we typically prefer it. One of us had to give in, and since we pay for the points/room, they didn't have much of an option...Lol!

This has changed the last couple of years. To add them at the resort they have to cancel and rebook the reservation.

Really? I've never added anybody, so I didn't know this. Interesting.
Either way, I would not want the front desk dealing with a DVC Point reservation. They generally end up messing things up in the points account and member services has to become involved at some point.

Either way, I would not want the front desk dealing with a DVC Point reservation. They generally end up messing things up in the points account and member services has to become involved at some point.
Exactly, I have direct experience with this plus seeing other reports. I specifically did not allow them to cancel and rebook for the reasons you reference. They simply made comments on the reservation listing the one person we didn't know was going to be able to make it. This changed maybe 3 years ago or so.

Disney has offered a dining plan as part of cash stays for as long as I remember (40+ years) and it has always been length of stay. DVC when it started did not offer it, but after awhile got approval to offer it as long as it followed the same rules. DVC for a short time tried to offer it for partial stays, but found out it coundn't be done without software changes and so the idea was dropped.

I cannot see DVC funding DVC-only changes to the Dining Plan software to satisfy people with guest appearing and disappearing during a stay. I could not imagine anyone coming up with a cost justification that would work, so DVC would fund it.

I don't disagree it would be nice, but lots of things are nice. The question is how would this increase Disney/DVC profitability or decrease a tangible loss. A couple/100 people eating more or less food will not effect Disney.

Also they aren't link to individual guests. They are linked to the amount of guests on the reservation.
And?? Are you saying that Disney should accommodate people who book nights where you say a guest is there but isn't, or a guest is there that isn't listed? There is no case where this is ok to have people registered in a hotel room that are incorrect. Why would they build a Dining plan to accommodate possibly incorrect people on their stays? Fix the stays and this isn't a problem.
It's pretty simple, let people book by day, preferably by day and person. So If I am staying for 7 days with 4 people (2 Adults/2 Kids) I should be able to book 3 days for everyone, and 1 day for Adults only if wanted to.
Well, Ok if you think that, but it shouldn't be that way. Think about it. If this was an option, I would book the DDP for exactly the days where I have Akershu's and other massive savings, and not book it on the days where I don't. It would lose money left and right. You're saying Disney should change a profitable aspect of their cash flow, in such a way that makes it lose money? I think banks should hand out a free $10 every time you visit. But realistically... I don't.
Disney is fantastic and the primary reason for our trip, but it's not the only thing in Orlando worth seeing...
Is this relevant? Sure there are other things to do. Disney's mere existence creates a whole tourism industry which fosters other activities in the surrounding area.

Blatant play for $$? Why, why, why?

Yes.

Yes....for special shows and dinner packages...not ADR's.....its like buying tickets to a concert....of course you pay in advance......

You were responding to Bill who had said "at many location you pay when you book" and you said that was wrong. He was right; there are many locations where you pay. You're. It's right lol. You just didn't realize he wasn't saying you prepay at all locations.

You were responding to Bill who had said "at many location you pay when you book" and you said that was wrong. He was right; there are many locations where you pay. You're. It's right lol. You just didn't realize he wasn't saying you prepay at all locations.
There are what, four(?) places where you pay in advance? Does that really count as "many?"

You bring up good points... two things I wish DVC would change:
1- can customize dining plan to each guest
2- make FP+ and ADR bookings just 2 or 4 weeks out. Not sure why the need for 6 months and 2 months unless this is just to give early bookers (cash bookers, not DVC) a leg up.

Why 180 days, because they have your money longer at many location you pay when you book. Just how many $$$ do you think they have in their pockets interest free? Thousands maybe 10s of thousands or more.
I think it was a great perk, for those that find value in it, just to allow DVC to get the dining plan without having to pay rack rates and buy a ticket package.

you were responding to Bill who had said "at many location you pay when you book" and you said that was wrong. He was right; there are many locations where you pay. You're. It's right lol. You just didn't realize he wasn't saying you prepay at all locations.

No...I was responding to BillPA who was responding to lovin'fl who was questioning making FP+ and ADR's.....not special show and events......

For a time, Disney did allow DVC the flexibility to drop the first night or the last night of a dining plan for points reservations. Of course, the flexibility turned out to be a nightmare for them as it was soon abused. people figured out how to manipulate their reservations to have the deluxe plan (one with 3 TS per day) every other day - this was less expensive than doing the regular plan every day and still provided plenty of food. Reservation system just couldn't handle it. (I may not recall all of the details, but IMO, enough DVC members abused the system to get it cancelled). I don't subscribe to the "the computer / MS didn't stop it so it's OK to do" school of thought. YMMV).

This happened to us last Sept when I decided to add our son to our OKW reservation after we arrived (he lives locally and joins us for dinner or to swim occasionally). They had to cancel and rebook the reservation and he got a room key, not a magic band. He was considered a day guest. So now I make sure he is already on the reservation when I make it.

So appreciate the honesty. Mighty refreshing in these parts

Others are saying it too, just not so bluntly. By saying the dining plan is mainly a bonus for Disney and they wouldn't do it if it wasn't a money-maker, that's the same thing.

They had to cancel and rebook the reservation and he got a room key, not a magic band. He was considered a day guest.

I think I've responded with the same thing to you before recently, and I don't mean to be a poop in case that's how it comes across, but we added my aunt to our GFV reservation while standing there at the checkin desk and they didn't cancel and rebook anything. It took 2 seconds (1 second if her last name weren't so long), she handed over a card, and it was done. Nothing floopy in our points or anything. And they didn't say the words "day guest" to or about her; not even sure what that would mean, but nothing was said about any restrictions etc.

But I think we all know that CMs are weird and some do strange things. Maybe your CM was right, maybe mine was. Either way they did things differently, so it's impossible to tell anyone how THEIR CM will behave at checkin.

But then this isn't helping the question of the dining plan because neither of us had it from what I've read in your post.

I was down there for a long weekend Last April for the half marathon, and I did have the dining plan as part of my DVC reservation. The CM at checkin was wonderful and added one person for one night, and also added a second person who was there for a different night, without any glitches to my points or my dining plan. As the previous poster stated, I'm not sure what the offical rules are, or even if there are any; it may be based on the CM's knowledge of the computer system. My guests were given the old key card type of room key.

I think I've responded with the same thing to you before recently, and I don't mean to be a poop in case that's how it comes across, but we added my aunt to our GFV reservation while standing there at the checkin desk and they didn't cancel and rebook anything. It took 2 seconds (1 second if her last name weren't so long), she handed over a card, and it was done. Nothing floopy in our points or anything. And they didn't say the words "day guest" to or about her; not even sure what that would mean, but nothing was said about any restrictions etc.

But I think we all know that CMs are weird and some do strange things. Maybe your CM was right, maybe mine was. Either way they did things differently, so it's impossible to tell anyone how THEIR CM will behave at checkin.

But then this isn't helping the question of the dining plan because neither of us had it from what I've read in your post.
My experience was at OKW where they have some of the most seasoned CMs. And the CMs who helped us has worked there since forever (I keep forgetting his name, but I know his face). The other CMs may be doing the same thing, just not giving you the details of what they are doing.

I couldn't seem to locate this information so I apologize if it's already been covered. I'm doing a split stay in two DVC resorts this Fall and was looking into to purchase the DDP for the entire trip but I guess I would be attaching the DDPs to each reservation separately. If I do purchase the DDP for the entire stay do I have to use all my credits in each segment of the trip or are they good for the entire 9 night stay. EX: 4 nights at BWV use all credits in that 4 night stay.

I couldn't seem to locate this information so I apologize if it's already been covered. I'm doing a split stay in two DVC resorts this Fall and was looking into to purchase the DDP for the entire trip but I guess I would be attaching the DDPs to each reservation separately. If I do purchase the DDP for the entire stay do I have to use all my credits in each segment of the trip or are they good for the entire 9 night stay. EX: 4 nights at BWV use all credits in that 4 night stay.

Each segment has its own credits that must be used during that segment of your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter