DDE to Dining Plan comparison

yitbos96bb said:
Chuck,

Did you include tips in your totals?

Yes, the totals were taken from the room charge statements, so they include the tips for TS meals. Also note that the Chefs lunch includes 2 glasses of wine, which is not included in the dining plan.

Given the number of people requesting a dining plan, I commend DVC for offering one next year. However, our family has done the Silver Wishes equivalent of the new dining plan and didn't like it. We felt a pressure to order appetizer and dessert even when we didn't want it, and we felt logy after stuffing ourselves at meals. (The plan also taught our kids to like escargot, shrimp cocktail, lobster, filet mignon and prime rib, which is a hidden expense that keeps on costing for years!) For next summer's trip, my 13 year old son will probably eat moderately and my 10 year old daughter will eat like a bird; she'll share most larger meals with my wife. Under these circumstances DDE is likely to be a better value for my family.

Chuck,

On the days you only listed 1 meal, did you supplement that with grocery store food? I noticed you mentioned the ice cream for snacking, but was your grocery bill more than just that ice cream?

Just noticing that on a few days you only listed 1 meal so looking for clarification that you really only ate 1 meal.

halekai64 said:
Chuck,

On the days you only listed 1 meal, did you supplement that with grocery store food? I noticed you mentioned the ice cream for snacking, but was your grocery bill more than just that ice cream?

Just noticing that on a few days you only listed 1 meal so looking for clarification that you really only ate 1 meal.

The only supplemental grocery store food we used was 1 box of cereal, milk, coffee, danish & 1/2 gal. of ice cream. Most days that I listed one meal were days we had breakfast in the room, with a late lunch. On the days we wanted "dinner" (like POP food court) they were listed.

We had a 4 night stay a couple of weeks ago. We kept track of our dining expenses for the two of us and we saved about $25 using the DDE card over what the DP would have cost us.

The comparison for your group needs to be based on how you would normally dine. If you usually have a counter serve and a full service meal each day- the DP will likely save $$. In our case, we rarely have an appetizer or dessert and do not have a full service meal each day. On this trip we had breakfast in our villa each day (cereal, juice, milk and grapefruit purchased at the Conch Flats store - ~$15 total), ate at the Brown Derby, Olivia's and Narcoossee's (using DDE) and also had three counter-serve meals (none accepted the DDE). Our totals for those meals (including breakfast) was about $280 including gratuity and not including "adult" beverages. Cost for the four days with the Dining Plan would have been about $304. When you figure in the discount on the wines we enjoyed with our dinners, the savings would have been even more.

Just do the math based on your usual dining habits as this is not a one-size-fits-all decision. In our case, the DDE will serve us best, but for those with different dining habits, the Dining Plan will be the better choice.

DisFlan said:
We rarely ate all three courses, either. But we have a son who, from the time he was 7 or 8, could eat an amazing amount of food. He always ate off the adult menu, and he's always been thin as a rail. And he didn't eat the cheap stuff. He's now 27 and he's still thin. We used to just sit and watch him eat. "Can I have the steak AND the lobster, Mom? And the shrimp cocktail? And that big chocolate cake thingy looks good." He'd eat three meals like this a day at WDW. An hour later he'd want a Mickey bar, a turkey leg and popcorn. The meal plans were worth it for him all by himself. (lol! Yes, we had him tested for tape worms.)

My sister married a guy with a similar metabolism and appetite. Our next trip will be with them, so I'm thinking both the DP and the DDE might be a good idea.

DisFlan

YEAH... I don't like your son because I am insanely jealous of his metabolism. Lucky, lucky man.

(Obviously this is meant with jest and envy... I am sure your son is a great person. I am sure you probably figured this, but sometimes a joking comment doesn't come across well.)

WebmasterDoc said:
We had a 4 night stay a couple of weeks ago. We kept track of our dining expenses for the two of us and we saved about $25 using the DDE card over what the DP would have cost us.

The comparison for your group needs to be based on how you would normally dine. If you usually have a counter serve and a full service meal each day- the DP will likely save $$. In our case, we rarely have an appetizer or dessert and do not have a full service meal each day. On this trip we had breakfast in our villa each day (cereal, juice, milk and grapefruit purchased at the Conch Flats store - ~$15 total), ate at the Brown Derby, Olivia's and Narcoossee's (using DDE) and also had three counter-serve meals (none accepted the DDE). Our totals for those meals (including breakfast) was about $280 including gratuity and not including "adult" beverages. Cost for the four days with the Dining Plan would have been about $304. When you figure in the discount on the wines we enjoyed with our dinners, the savings would have been even more.

Just do the math based on your usual dining habits as this is not a one-size-fits-all decision. In our case, the DDE will serve us best, but for those with different dining habits, the Dining Plan will be the better choice.

And remember, if you do go with the DP and an AP, look into getting the DDE as well for $50. Afterall, you can still use it with the DP for alcohol, or if you decide to do a buffet, or if you use the CS for breakfast somewhere, etc. I know others who used it for kids meals and then used their TS for signature dining or more meals (not sure if Disney will kill this loop hole or not). It can definately be a good value for you. Plus remember it gives you free entrance to Atlantic Dance and a 2 for 1 at PI. So there is a good value with the card. Or using it at VIctoria and Alberts, which doesn't take the DP. We are using it there with the wine pairings... For 2 of us it pretty much pays for the card.

yitbos96bb said:
YEAH... I don't like your son because I am insanely jealous of his metabolism. Lucky, lucky man.

(Obviously this is meant with jest and envy... I am sure your son is a great person. I am sure you probably figured this, but sometimes a joking comment doesn't come across well.)

:teeth: I got ya. I'm jealous of his metabolism, too! (Grrrrr) He definitely did NOT get it from me. His dad was the same way until he was well into his forties, minus the humongous appetite. But the guy used to be able to eat ANYTHING. It made me soooo mad at times.

DisFlan

yitbos96bb said:
You know studies show that 79% of all cited studies in forum boards are made up? Maybe its the academic in me, but please if you are going to make a "Studies Show..." comment, actually cite a study, preferably with a link. Sorry huge pet peeve of mine as many people cite fictional studies.

As I showed in the very first DP DVC posting, it all comes down to how much you eat. You also need to add in TIP too, which is included with the DP, to make and accurate comparison. Your habits have to fit into the DP mold in order for it to be a good value... For someone liek you who eats at more TS than 1 per day, it is not worth it. For many people, who Do not eat this way, it is a good deal. Many people will order the food and they order a lot of dishes they might not order due to the price.
As I've noted several times, it depends on how you use it. IMO, the DP would have to show a significant savings to be a reasonable choice, I'd say around 20% compared to other options, not just a break even. As for the study, I'll have to do some digging, been a while since I looked at the info. I have seen a lot of anecdotal info to support the position as well. You're welcome to post any info you have to the contrary. BTW, weren't you previously registered under another signon?

We just got back last night and I haven't had the chance to add receipts yet, but, just thinking quickly where we ate and approximate figures (some I remember the dollar amounts....others not sure of) I think we saved a little more than $100.00 this trip. There were four of us....DH, myself, two DS's age 24 and 16. We ate at Boma (breakfast), Crews Cup Lounge (late lunch),
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch), Olivia's (lunch), Boatwright's (breakfast), and two evenings at the River Roost lounge (visiting with Bob Jackson!!!) Oh and
almost forgot, the Prime Time Cafe (lunch).....so, it's probably more than
$100.00. And, we'll get two more trips from the card since I ordered it right before the trip so it's good until end of 1/07. DH and I are making a trip
10/06 with two friends and then with the family (this time all of us....DH, myself, two DS's, DD, DGS, and DD'sBF) either 12/06 or early 1/07. For us,
I think the DDE is the best choice since the only one under 9 we have is DGS
and we tend to do very little snacking so the snack credits probably would be
wasted.

We've used the DDE before and found it saved us quite a bit--
We've not had the chance to try the DP yet--is it only for length of stay/buy the plan for a certain amount of days? DDE lasts for the year, as I recall.
Anybody know the timeline for the DP?

We have three children (2,3,6) and used the dining plan on our latest trip in Dec.(@ Pop). It worked great for us, and the snack credits were used for soda an popcorn at the parks. It was way too much food, but encouraged us to try new things and dine in places we would't have tried without it (Spoodles wa fabulous, but our meal there alone was $140).

DVC now offering the dining plan to members is what convinced DH to do a 120pt add on to our measly 50pts @SSR!!!!!! Well, I think the golf perk helped as well.

We purchase 10day NE passes instead of AP for more flexability so DDE is not an option for us.

I think it's great to have multiple options! :cheer2: Go DVC!!!!!!

rocketriter said:
Given the number of people requesting a dining plan, I commend DVC for offering one next year. However, our family has done the Silver Wishes equivalent of the new dining plan and didn't like it. We felt a pressure to order appetizer and dessert even when we didn't want it, and we felt logy after stuffing ourselves at meals. (The plan also taught our kids to like escargot, shrimp cocktail, lobster, filet mignon and prime rib, which is a hidden expense that keeps on costing for years!) For next summer's trip, my 13 year old son will probably eat moderately and my 10 year old daughter will eat like a bird; she'll share most larger meals with my wife. Under these circumstances DDE is likely to be a better value for my family.

I agree. We did the silver plan in 2004 and felt we got our monies worth, but it wasn't all spent on food. We used our credits for Cirque tickets, babysitting at kids club(which really adds up for 3 kids) and sit down and character meals only. The new plan is food only. That's an awful lot of food to fit in over the course of a week. We will stick to DDE unless they allow you to use them for activities as in the past or it's a short 2-3day trip(highly unlikely).

It's going to be hard for me to decide whether to do the dining plan or not. Next trip, my kids will be 10 and 11. Yuck...the whole adult prices thing. Now for DS, the amount of food he eats is justified...DD on the other hand, it's a toss up whether she will be just as ravenous as he is, or eat a little bit.

Plus, some days, we DO tend to eat 2 TS meals in one day...usually when that happens it's a character breakfast before hitting the parks and then a dinner. We all tend to get real hungry those days so 2 sitdown meals is realistic for us.

I see the value in pre-paying for the plan, but I too wonder if ALL of us travelling WILL eat the amount of food that comes in a table service credit each and every time.

I guess I'll need to crunch more numbers and see what's what.

DonnaL said:
For us,
I think the DDE is the best choice since the only one under 9 we have is DGS
and we tend to do very little snacking so the snack credits probably would be
wasted.

You do know that you can use the snack credits for a bottle of water, or a soda don't you? This really added up for our family, the snack credits would have been great.

I have to say that I am seriously considering DDP. We have 2 boys, 11 and 12, that usually eat of the adult menu anyway. My DD will be 9 and she eats like a bird. My DH insists on one TS meal per day. He wants to wind down after a long day at the parks. I added up how much we spent on our last trip and we averaged $165 per day for the 5 of us. So I am not sure we would save much.

I just returned from a non DVC Package with extended family and I added the dining plan--after I unpack I will see which is better--by checking all reciepts. Right now I am leaning toward the dining plan as all of our TS meals were over $150. even with the price change the plan will cost me $151.96 so I am ahead. We ordered as we usually would have and we did not all always order dessert and apps. I just figured for the experiment I would go with the flow so to speak and see how it would work out. For CS we usually used three meals and shared, but the CS would come out at about $55.00--these were places I could not use the DDE anyway. As far as the 20% savings it really just accounts for our tip so it really is about $30 per TS meal and most CS our DDE is not valid at so no savings are seen there. We did use the DDE when we purchased alcohol with the meal and at the food court for those non-included items like fruit with breakfast. We don't usually get ice cream bars/snacks everyday, but that also ended up being a great savings when the kids could be offered a treat daily and had choices as well. I must admit though we had half the snack credits left on the last day and had to leave the resort with a small shopping bag of Mickey rice crispy treats and chips!

We just came back from Disney for a long weekend and used our DDE card at times. I did not realize how busy the parks and the sit down restaurants were.

With 2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 9, it would cost us $100 per day for the dining plan, and there is no way we eat that much everyday. On top of it, given how booked up the restaurants were, I would need to make PS for our dinners and be locked in the time and place we need to be. Out of 4 PS meals, we only made it to 1, and cancelled the other 3.

DDE offers a lot more flexibility. When we are at Disney, I never know where we will be at any given time. It is just too inflexible if I have to plan our vacation around our PS time for fear that I might not be able to use up all the credits.

It is a nice option for members to have. As others have said individual eating styles, size/make-up of group, length of stay and the like will vary the results. For us DDE is the better program. It is only two adults, light eaters, breakfasts in villa, lunch a variety of quick service and sit down restaurants (we most often order one meal and share it -- just too much food), dinners mostly sit down restaurants.

I just want to thank all of you died-in-the-wool dining plan fans, because your fervor made me go back and actually re-think our eating habits and how the DP would work for us. And I think it might work pretty well indeed. :)

I'm a big DDE fan -- I think it is a great deal, and we're already ahead of the game with a full 12 months still left on the card. Part of that, though, is because we took Grandma and Great Aunt on our December 4-9 trip, so we had four adults and one princess.

OTOH...for our normal vacations, there will just be DH, DD3goingon23 princess: , and myself. Translated into dining numbers, that's about $88 a day for all the food we are likely to eat and then some, including tax and tip. We can easily do $88 at one sit-down dinner...not even counting wine and tip. I'm going to do the math again as we get closer to our May trip, but I think we may well do the dining plan.

We'll still use the DDE for alcoholic beverages and food outlets that don't accept the dining plan...and also when we take guests to dinner.

It's great to have the choices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter