DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Evening All,

It's been a busy couple of weeks around here. I think the last time I checked in The Kid wasn't feeling well. Turned out it wasn't Covid, just your general wintertime illness so she went back to school after a couple of days. Last week, we got a call from the school nurse and The Kid wants to come home. This time it is Covid. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad for her, just some chest and head congestion. She went back to school today and is working to get caught up. I did just get an email from the district superintendent letting us know that while they don't have any immediate plans to switch to online classes, it is a day-by-day situation and we should be prepared if they need to as more and more staff become unavailable. Several other districts in my area have switch to online classes as they don't have the required staff.

20% of my staff has been out sick last week and this week. I manage a small company of about 12 employees and we don't really have the people to handle this type of coverage. I have been doing double time just making sure the important things are being done and the rest will happen when it happens.

I've been helping My Better Half study for her PTCB test that is in a few weeks. She is frantic and worried and completely stressed out. After spending hours helping her study, I know the material and I think I'm just going to take the test for her.

Morning, Gents! Hope all are doing well today. Had a bad start to the day when the keyboard on my computer stopped working, so called IT. Was told they'd send out someone out quickly with a new one. Well, the IT person never showed up, so I had to go find an unused keyboard somewhere in the office. The doctor who's out for the next 2 weeks doesn't need his keyboard, right? :teeth: Otherwise it was a good day. That's all I've got. Have a good day.

TTFN

Morning, folks.
Long day already and getting longer. Spent an hour shoveling the driveway before work and just got informed that I'm staying late because another guy can't make it in for his evening shift. (Don't blame him. He lives out of town and has about 300' of driveway.)
We've had about 6" of snow so far with 50mph winds forecast to start later today.

Makes sense that that one guy couldn't make it into work. I mean, if I had a 300' driveway that I had to plow I don't think I'd be making it into work either. Then again, if I had a 300' driveway I'd make sure I had a tractor with a plow attachment.

"case"?
Did I miss what or who you're shooting?
I assume head shot implies person.
And they're not as easy as people think. I took a (online) course on headshots and to get good ones, you need at least 4 lights.

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it. My wife is music directing a local production of Godspell, and I offered to take pictures for the show, and that included headshots. I had set up two speedlights with shoot-through umbrellas, I couldn't find my second Neewer softbox. One speedlight was set at 45 degree angle from the model, on the model's left side, and the second speedlight was set up at a 45 degree angle on the right closer to the floor looking up at a lower power to get rid of the harsh shadows, didn't have a lot of ambient light, so shadows were a problem. They're not my best, but that's what I had to work with.

This is patently unfair.

I know, right?! I thought it was, but was told that those stickers are for kids only.

Sure, go ahead and laugh, wise guy. I had no idea that MLK day was on Monday. Up here, after New Year's Day, our next major holiday is Good Friday (Apr 15 this year.)
There is also a Provincial holiday on Feb 21, but it varies from Province to Province and doesn't affect me (or DW) at all. (But does affect DD as she's a teacher and the schools close.)

Sorry, I thought everyone knew Monday was MLK day. Massachusetts has a local holiday that's called Patriots Day. It's a holiday to commemorate the battles of Lexington and Concord. I think Maine also celebrates it as well as they were once part of Massachusetts.

That's too bad. Was looking forward to seeing your work, there.
I forget if I asked. I pay my models (although haven't done any model shoots in a few years), do you? Or... ?

I was really looking forward to it as well, but that's life. Ummmm do I pay my models, or....? Or! :teeth: Kidding. No I don't pay them right now as I don't use professional models and I'm really just beginning. I use people I know and who are willing to sit for me in exchange for the pictures I take. At some point I'm going to have to start paying models, but right now I don't. Besides, I don't think my wife would like that if I started paying for models when people should be paying me, but I've not had any luck lately in getting people to sit for me. There is a website for models in and around my area I could use, I guess. I guess I'm going to have to at some point.

:laughing:
But don't go teaching them how to be better scam artists! :lmao:

:laughing: I didn't think about that until after I'd hung up. :laughing:

Evening chaps, just driving by, meep meep, hope all is well in disdadland. Double dole whips for everyone. They are on Ponzie. Not entirely sure why, but then again, why not?

That's very kind of him. Thanks, Ponzie.

Evening All,

It's been a busy couple of weeks around here. I think the last time I checked in The Kid wasn't feeling well. Turned out it wasn't Covid, just your general wintertime illness so she went back to school after a couple of days. Last week, we got a call from the school nurse and The Kid wants to come home. This time it is Covid. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad for her, just some chest and head congestion. She went back to school today and is working to get caught up. I did just get an email from the district superintendent letting us know that while they don't have any immediate plans to switch to online classes, it is a day-by-day situation and we should be prepared if they need to as more and more staff become unavailable. Several other districts in my area have switch to online classes as they don't have the required staff.

Hope the kid feels better.

20% of my staff has been out sick last week and this week. I manage a small company of about 12 employees and we don't really have the people to handle this type of coverage. I have been doing double time just making sure the important things are being done and the rest will happen when it happens.

Hope everyone feels better soon so they can get back to work.

I've been helping My Better Half study for her PTCB test that is in a few weeks. She is frantic and worried and completely stressed out. After spending hours helping her study, I know the material and I think I'm just going to take the test for her.

If you don't mind me asking, what is PTCB? Hope she does well.

Morning All

Hey look a camel meme.... you know what that means!!! - hump day - quickmeme

Evening All,

Good to hear your daughter is better and good luck to you and your DW on the test.

Ugh. I will write a strongly worded memo to the powers that be expressing my outrage for you.

The older I get the more I like working when nobody is around.

This! We still have a lot of people working from home. I just kept coming to the office because nobody else was here.

I'm just waiting for all the heads to explode because most people think the schools are in an online learning mode right now. Most people don't realize that all the staff must go to the schools to work as well as a number of students who are in need of special assistance, have no infrastructure at home for online learning or if the teachers thought it would be best for them to be in class. It has created a ton of additional work for schools staff as they are also required to create take-home work packages for those who work for home but have no or poor Internet. Of course, there is no requirement for the students to actually complete this work.

My wife was in class teaching both kids in person and remotely over Zoom at the same time last year. It was the hardest thing she's ever had to do in her career.

We've had about 6" of snow so far with 50mph winds forecast to start later today.

Wow, spring is starting early in Winnipeg.

They are on Ponzie. Not entirely sure why, but then again, why not?

Good enough justification for me.

Ah, yes, the Pick That Crusty Booger test. That can be a tough one. Hope she doesn't leave it hanging.

. Last week, we got a call from the school nurse and The Kid wants to come home. This time it is Covid. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad for her, just some chest and head congestion. She went back to school today and is working to get caught up.
Glad it was mild. No one else in the house caught it?
Man, that's a tough situation. Where I work, if people call in sick... then they call in sick. But if too many people call in... there'd be disruptions to flights. So far that hasn't happened too often. And not for flights that you'd be likely to take (large commercial aircraft) but for smaller companies or private pilots.
I've been helping My Better Half study for her PTCB test that is in a few weeks.
What is that?
Makes sense that that one guy couldn't make it into work. I mean, if I had a 300' driveway that I had to plow I don't think I'd be making it into work either. Then again, if I had a 300' driveway I'd make sure I had a tractor with a plow attachment.
He does have a tractor. Still gonna take him plenty of time to clear it. And even when he does... he's got a closed highway at the end of the lane.
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it. My wife is music directing a local production of Godspell
Ah! Maybe you did and I just forgot.
I had set up two speedlights with shoot-through umbrellas, I couldn't find my second Neewer softbox. One speedlight was set at 45 degree angle from the model, on the model's left side, and the second speedlight was set up at a 45 degree angle on the right closer to the floor looking up at a lower power to get rid of the harsh shadows, didn't have a lot of ambient light, so shadows were a problem. They're not my best, but that's what I had to work with.
Nice setup. Did you bring a background, or just use what was there?
I know, right?! I thought it was, but was told that those stickers are for kids only.
This. This is how wars start.
Sorry, I thought everyone knew Monday was MLK day
Didn't have a clue.

Then again... you do know when Victoria Day is, right?

;)
Ummmm do I pay my models, or....? Or! :teeth: Kidding.
No I don't pay them right now as I don't use professional models and I'm really just beginning. I use people I know and who are willing to sit for me in exchange for the pictures I take.
Well, there you go. So you are paying them. With the photos.
When I was thinking of starting my own sideline business, I both paid my models and had them sign model release forms. I haven't used the photos, but if I ever do, I don't have to worry about anyone saying "You don't have my permission!"
At some point I'm going to have to start paying models, but right now I don't. Besides, I don't think my wife would like that if I started paying for models when people should be paying me, but I've not had any luck lately in getting people to sit for me.
You have to start with something. At least that was my thinking. If you don't have a portfolio, then it's tough for someone to say "I want something like that!"
There is a website for models in and around my area I could use, I guess. I guess I'm going to have to at some point.
Huh. I don't have that, or at least I'm not aware of one. Then again, I'm not actively looking anymore either.
What does it mean? What?? WHAT????
Wow, spring is starting early in Winnipeg.
Don't get me started, mister!
Ah, yes, the Pick That Crusty Booger test. That can be a tough one. Hope she doesn't leave it hanging.

My doctor always gives me stickers, and the character bandaid if I have to get a shot. She even gives me Disney if she has it. It took me a while but I have trained her well.

Hope the kid feels better.
She is much better now.

Hope everyone feels better soon so they can get back to work.
Actually had a 3rd person out today. I am currently without my accounting clerk, my order entry processor, and 1 of my production staff. If it keeps going like this, I am going to have to shut down.

If you don't mind me asking, what is PTCB? Hope she does well.
It is the Pharmacy Technician Control Board. My wife is a Pharmacy Tech and needs to test periodically in order to keep her certification. She needs to know the 200 most prescribed medications including the brand name, the generic drug name, what it treats, possible side effects, and any other vital information about it. She also has to know doctor's abbreviations, proper storage and disposal of all medications, converting from grains and drams to grams and liters, how to figure dilution ratios, drug costs, insurance coding and billing, and more. Then there is the part on the relevent pharmacy laws, including not only what they do but also the history going back to 1909.

Glad it was mild. No one else in the house caught it?
Not sure how but thankfully, no one else caught it.

What is that?
A brutal test my wife needs to pass in order to keep her job. See above.

Hey, guys! Well, we are officially on the downhill slide to the weekend....well, at least my weekend. Had a busy day yesterday. I was at a primary care office, and we had 112 patients. Whew! A lot, but we got it done, and it made the day go by quickly. Today I'm at specialty office, endocrinology, and while it's not as busy as yesterday's office, it's still a busy office. Outside that, all's well. Have a good day.

Man, that's a tough situation. Where I work, if people call in sick... then they call in sick. But if too many people call in... there'd be disruptions to flights. So far that hasn't happened too often. And not for flights that you'd be likely to take (large commercial aircraft) but for smaller companies or private pilots.

If that happened at your work that would be a bad day for everyone.

He does have a tractor. Still gonna take him plenty of time to clear it. And even when he does... he's got a closed highway at the end of the lane.

Ah, yeah, I guess that could be a problem, especially when it's a busy highway.

Ah! Maybe you did and I just forgot.

Not sure if I did....sorry. Either way, because it's right after Christmas and New Years it's a holiday that sneaks up on you, or us, more like me. Not to disrespect Dr. King, but I was surprised by it this year. Somehow it snuck up on me.

Nice setup. Did you bring a background, or just use what was there?

Thanks. I didn't bring a background, I had set up in front of a white backdrop and used that. I'll see if the cast will let me use their pictures on my photography page on book face, then you can see them.

This. This is how wars start.

People just don't understand the power of a Disney sticker.

Didn't have a clue.

Then again... you do know when Victoria Day is, right?

;)

Of course I know when Victoria Day is. Its on that one day in that month before that one day, which is in between those other two days of the week. Duh!

:teeth:

Well, there you go. So you are paying them. With the photos.
When I was thinking of starting my own sideline business, I both paid my models and had them sign model release forms. I haven't used the photos, but if I ever do, I don't have to worry about anyone saying "You don't have my permission!"

Never thought of if that way, so I guess I do pay them....with pictures.
As they've been people I know, I don't use release forms, though I guess I should start. When I get an actual professional model, I'll definitely use a release form.

You have to start with something. At least that was my thinking. If you don't have a portfolio, then it's tough for someone to say "I want something like that!"

I'm putting together a folder in Google Drive of some of my best pictures from the different shoots I've done, theater, dance, portrait, headshots, etc. Then at some point I'll print them and put them in a photo album and take with me to meet clients. I also meet with my clients to talk over what they are looking for in a photo session and what kind of shots they want.

Huh. I don't have that, or at least I'm not aware of one. Then again, I'm not actively looking anymore either.

It's been a while since I've been to the site, and have since forgotten the name, but I do know sites like that exist. They have a picture of the model and what kind of modeling they'll do. It's a really cool site. Some models are new and will work for pictures, others require payment, so you have choices.

It's "drink a potent brew" day? Cool!

Wait... isn't that every day???

It should be.

My doctor always gives me stickers, and the character bandaid if I have to get a shot. She even gives me Disney if she has it. It took me a while but I have trained her well.

Ok, that's a cool doctor. My doctor doesn't give me stickers....maybe I should suggest it.

She is much better now.

That's good to hear.

Actually had a 3rd person out today. I am currently without my accounting clerk, my order entry processor, and 1 of my production staff. If it keeps going like this, I am going to have to shut down.

Wow, let's hope they feel better soon. I hope you don't have to shut down. I wish this COVID thing would end soon.

It is the Pharmacy Technician Control Board. My wife is a Pharmacy Tech and needs to test periodically in order to keep her certification. She needs to know the 200 most prescribed medications including the brand name, the generic drug name, what it treats, possible side effects, and any other vital information about it. She also has to know doctor's abbreviations, proper storage and disposal of all medications, converting from grains and drams to grams and liters, how to figure dilution ratios, drug costs, insurance coding and billing, and more. Then there is the part on the relevent pharmacy laws, including not only what they do but also the history going back to 1909.

Pharmacy work isn't easy, so that's impressive, and I hope she does well. Two of my nieces are Pharmacy Techs in New Mexico, damn proud of them.

Morning Gents.

Another cool day but there is no snow so I guess that's good.

Finally started to setup my home office and realized why the office chair we had wasn't being used. It just sinks to the bottom of its cylinder. Looks like a new chair is in order.

Hope you all have a great day.

Morning Gents.

Finally started to setup my home office and realized why the office chair we had wasn't being used. It just sinks to the bottom of its cylinder. Looks like a new chair is in order.

Is your office in Trader Sams? Well played sir.

Well, we are officially on the downhill slide to the weekend....well, at least my weekend.
Weekend? What is this "weekend" you speak of?
I was at a primary care office, and we had 112 patients.
:scared:
Ah, yeah, I guess that could be a problem, especially when it's a busy highway.
Actually, it's not. And that's the problem. No quick clearing.
Thanks. I didn't bring a background, I had set up in front of a white backdrop and used that. I'll see if the cast will let me use their pictures on my photography page on book face, then you can see them.
Looking forward to seeing them. :)
Of course I know when Victoria Day is. Its on that one day in that month before that one day, which is in between those other two days of the week. Duh!
Huh! And here I thought you wouldn't know.
As they've been people I know, I don't use release forms, though I guess I should start. When I get an actual professional model, I'll definitely use a release form.
::yes::
It's been a while since I've been to the site, and have since forgotten the name, but I do know sites like that exist. They have a picture of the model and what kind of modeling they'll do. It's a really cool site. Some models are new and will work for pictures, others require payment, so you have choices.
Danged convenient.,
Same here. We had a storm a couple of days ago, then the temp this morning dipped to -30C and then back to another storm tomorrow.
Is your office in Trader Sams? Well played sir.
:lmao:

Morning, fellas, from a cold and slightly snowing Cape Cad. I say "slightly snowing" because it's just enough to give a light coating, but will be gone y 9-10 am. I'm heading down Cape today to Orleans, about a 45 minute drive, so a good time to listen to some podcasts. Had a good day yesterday, hoping for one today. Outside that, all's well. Have a good day, guys.

TTFN

Morning Gents.

Time for a really nice gaming chair. I bought one when I worked from home for 2 months and it was worth it. My wife didn't like the price, but with my bad back it was well worth the investment. Just a thought.

Weekend? What is this "weekend" you speak of?

Well, usually a weekend is where one gets two days off of work, however, some have been known to worth through such days. I have been one of those people who have worked through weekends.

Yeah, it was a busy day, but a quick day as it flew by.

Actually, it's not. And that's the problem. No quick clearing.

Ah. 300' does take a while to clear.

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

I'll see if I can post them.

Huh! And here I thought you wouldn't know.

Surprised ye, didn't I? :teeth:

You're right, I am.

Danged convenient.,

It is, and I need to remember the site's name.

Same here. We had a storm a couple of days ago, then the temp this morning dipped to -30C and then back to another storm tomorrow.

I had to look that one up, and, wow! That's like -22 Fahrenheit

Happy Friday boys for those that care about Fridays or have one anywhere close to the actual day of the week.

As Jim Gaffigan said....
When it gets that cold, it doesn't matter if it's Celsius or Fahrenheit.

Surprised ye, didn't I? :teeth:
And I was thinking between Jan 1 and Dec 31, but you nailed it.

Well, usually a weekend is where one gets two days off of work, however, some have been known to worth through such days. I have been one of those people who have worked through weekends.
My weekend comes next week.
Ah. 300' does take a while to clear.
Well... yes. But I was actually referring to the road. He can clear the driveway, but it don't matter too much if there's nowhere to go after that.
Happy Friday boys for those that care about Fridays or have one anywhere close to the actual day of the week.
Hey! It's my Friday today too! So was yesterday and the day before that. Tomorrow is Saturday. The next day is Monday, however. No Sunday this week.
As Jim Gaffigan said....
When it gets that cold, it doesn't matter if it's Celsius or Fahrenheit.
Yes, I had to look it up @pkondz

It's May 23rd this year
How will you celebrate?

:rolleyes1

Morning Gents,

It's freaking freezing here today. We need a lottery win and a move south.

Have a good one all.

Time for a really nice gaming chair. I bought one when I worked from home for 2 months and it was worth it. My wife didn't like the price, but with my bad back it was well worth the investment. Just a thought.

I've got my eye on one of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!