DD10 got a credit card offer!

Merriwind

Always looking for an excuse to go to WDW...
Hi all-

So, DD just turned 10 and today she gets a pre-approved credit card offer in the mail! WTH?! It was for a Discover card. Can I send the "invitation" back with a note that she's a child and have them take her off of their mailing list?

She just got a People to People Ambassadors invite yesterday, which I know are generated from mailing lists. I am wondering now if she is somehow in some big list pool. Anyway to get her out? The last thing we need is more junk mail and I'm a little creeped out with a ten year old getting cc offers. (She, of course, wanted to sign right up.)

Thanks!!

when my DS was 15 he got a plastic AARP card in the mail!! I still have it because we tease him about it!

I believe that is one of the signs to look for identity theft. You may want to run credit checks on her to make sure that someone hasn't opened any accounts in her name.

I'm not trying to alarm you, and the credit card offer is probably just a freak "her name somehow got on a big mailing list" kind of thing, but if I were in your shoes I'd probably run her credit report to be sure it's squeaky clean. Again - not trying to scare you - just thinking out loud. Unfortunately, children are not immune to identity theft.

My 10 ds also got something in the mail last week about him being gauranteed $500 cash advance. After seeing this post I think I will run his credit report and all my other children as well. Let's just hope both of our children somehow feel into one of those "mailing lists" and not something serious!

DD got a student people to people thing this year as well AND a pre approved CC. Now I'm concerned. How do you run a credit check on your child? Wouldn't her SS# somehow have to be on it? I can't imagine how they could have gotten that.

My DD was 2 years old when she started receiving Continental Airlines Master Card credit card offers. My husband and I didn't even receive them!

I called them and asked to have her removed from the mailing list, since she was two. It took over a year and several phone calls to get her off the list.

She did start flying at around 18 months, and we always bought her a seat, but I thought her seat was always associated with me.

I got a CC offer when I was 8. My parents and I thought it was hillarious. Of coures this was before the whole identity theft thing got huge.

it just means that her name is on a list somewhere. Dogs get them as well, does not have to mean identity theft, just a name on a list

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful replies. I did call Discover. THey removed DD from their mailing list. I will also go ahead and get her credit report. Probably and hopefully this is nothing, but in this day and age bad guys use technology, so we should too.

Thanks again!

DD got a student people to people thing this year as well AND a pre approved CC. Now I'm concerned. How do you run a credit check on your child? Wouldn't her SS# somehow have to be on it? I can't imagine how they could have gotten that.

You wouldn't be surprised of all the places that would have access to it...Schools are the big one

Both our oldest dd and our cat have received offers in our home. Both were from Capital One. Of course, this was after our dd took a class at our community college. Later, we found out that the colleges are paid to provide information to the cc companies. Our cat, the only thing I could figure was I bought her medication at 1-800-Petmeds.

I can't prove it, but I think some fundraiser companies sell kids' name lists from school to credit card companies and other direct-mail companies (without saying they are children). I think they are given the database info. to do pre-printed labels and last names are matched up with public address information in that area. Whoever is doing this gets "bonus" money as these are new legitimate names and addresses. This has happened with 3 of my four kids, and those 3 all had the same fundraiser company.

DS11 gets credit card offers from American Airlines ALL the time because he has a frequent flier number. I did call and ask to have the offers stopped, and I haven't seen one in awhile. DH and I would get them, too, so most of the time we would have 3 in the mailbox at once.

OP - Hopefully there isn't anything funny with her credit report! :wizard:

Glad to know that I am not the only one...each of my DDs got one this week from Discover Card...they are 2.5 years old and 5.5 years old...really nice...my DH is NOT happy...he thinks that the only company that could have sold their name is WELLS FARGO since that is where they have savings accounts.

I am one of those people who got several CC offers for my dog. At least I know she doesn't have an identity to steal but I agree with others that if it's a child, I'd run a report. I had posted yesterday about Suze Orman on QVC and her Identity Theft kit. It was an amazing bargain and did say it protected your minor children and elderly adults. For two people for one year it only cost $20 including shipping. I bought two kits ( I esp. wanted the lost wallet protection ) to cover four different people since they didn't have to live at the same address and was pleased with all that was included and the million dollar protection. Supposedly it will be out in stores in a few months, but at a higher price and only for one person. It's kind of creepy to think all that can be generated just by mailing lists and someone's personal information. Since I know someone who had a huge mess with their identity being stolen it's not a matter to take lightly. Meanwhile I have to wonder what kind of credit limit they'd put on my labrador? She has expensive tastes in doggy treats!---Kathy

my 7 and 11 DD and 14DS get them all the time typically after wedo a WDW trip via any airline. we just laff and shred. I am also tempted to one day send it back to see what they would do with it.

:rotfl2:

Why not just call the 1800 number to opt your children's Social Security numbers out of CC offers for 5 years (or permanently)? Here's an article to show all the places you can opt out of these things: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/business/20money.html

Also, Wells Fargo offers their own Visa-brand credit cards--they definitely would not be selling their competitors (as in Discover) their customer list.

You can also put a freeze on your child's credit with the various credit agencies. It's a pain in the backside, but you might want to look into that, versus spending the money to check your child's credit yearly.

Hope that helps!

ETA: You can't do a minor on the 1-800 number, per this link, but the agencies are not allowed to keep a record on anyone under 13: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/faq.htm#22

My 15 yr old ds got a credit card offer yesterday from Capital one. I was shocked they could send these too kids. He just laughted.
Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter