DD dressing phobia princess

[ I would have to see a picture to judge, but from a mom whose 4th grade daughter lives in sports bras and spanks (spandex) I wouldn't be judging her outfit unless I knew more of why she choose it. For halloween we ended up going to our friends party as Alice in Wonderland (daughter), Mad Hatter (DH), and the White Rabbit (Me, in white spandex jeans, white frilly tux style shirt, and short red tux ladies jacket, with ears) however, DD first choice may have been similar to what you saw.

She and her friends wanted to be "F5" cheerleaders. You can google image search "F5 cheerleader" to see pictures of their outfits. One of the moms has a bling machine that they were going to bling F5 on sports bras to wear with their black nike pro's. These are highly talented and respected girls in the cheerleading world. Anyone who knows about cheerleading would recognize F5. One of her friends mom is a former Tampa Bay Bucs cheerleaders. Actually we know quite a few former cheerleaders who are now moms with cheerleader daughters. We are also close with a WNBA player's mom. Perhaps this girl had a connection to a NBA cheerleader she respects. My daughter has been cheering since she was three.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend any cheerleading Moms. My DD has been in dance since she was 2, and also does singing and theatre performances on stage so there have been times that she has been in some grown up looking dresses as costumes. I know kind of skimpy costumes are pretty much the norm for kids in cheer and dance competitions nowadays. This was something a bit different, especially when you are talking about a 6 year old. Google images of Thunder girls and you will get an idea. She did not have her stomach showing and the tiny shorts and tight shirt themselves with tennis shoes and maybe a ponytail probably would have been fine, but when they were put together with white patent knee high, high heeled boots, heavy make-up and teased hair on a 6 year old at a 1st grade classroom party/full day at school (not at a dance/cheer class or performance) it was a little surprising. It was one of those things that caused a lot of Moms in the class and in the hall to do a double take, and kind of look at each other with big wide surprised eyes. I'm not even saying it was wrong. I'm just saying based on that and other things, it looks like that kid is trying to grow up too fast, and I'm glad my daughter isn't following the same path. Even though I'm sure she probably said it because her older sisters have done it to her, I also don't like that she was trying to tell my daughter what she should and shouldn't like and that she was a baby if she liked certain things.

Oh, I am soooo glad for our school uniforms right now. :rotfl: My DDs are in 4th and 2nd grades. The 4th grader prefers to dress in what some would probably consider a "younger" or immature style. She is a VERY girly-girl and loves dresses, skirts, and anything pink(the color, not the VS line). For a long time, she wouldn't wear any kind of pants, except leggings under dresses. Now she will wear fleece pants, but she HATES jeans. She definitely is secure in what she likes, but I wonder if it would be different if she was wearing pink skirts and Disney shirts to school while the rest of the girls were wearing skinny jeans and Aero/Hollister/AE/whatever shirts.

OP-- hugs to your DD. I think her response about talking to the girls then going to the back of the line is fantastic!

Oh, I am soooo glad for our school uniforms right now. :rotfl: My DDs are in 4th and 2nd grades. The 4th grader prefers to dress in what some would probably consider a "younger" or immature style. She is a VERY girly-girl and loves dresses, skirts, and anything pink(the color, not the VS line). For a long time, she wouldn't wear any kind of pants, except leggings under dresses. Now she will wear fleece pants, but she HATES jeans. She definitely is secure in what she likes, but I wonder if it would be different if she was wearing pink skirts and Disney shirts to school while the rest of the girls were wearing skinny jeans and Aero/Hollister/AE/whatever shirts.

OP-- hugs to your DD. I think her response about talking to the girls then going to the back of the line is fantastic!

Thank you. I am proud she handled it. She actually sounds alot like your DD. that likes the dresses, pink, etc. My DD has finally found a pair of jeans she actually likes. She had a pair years ago that had princess' on them. She liked those, but obviously out grew them. I have bought her all types of jeans and she hates them. She has rather large thighs, for her size. I think that might be why. She seems to hate the way jeans fit on her thighs.
I'm curios to see how she makes out today wearing her Perry the Platypus shirt. We will see.

Wow Deesknee and Poohfriend77, mine sounds just like your two. She's only in first grade, but she only likes dresses or tops and skirts. Leggings or bike shorts under dresses are about the only pants she will wear. She hates jeans, and doesn't really care for pants either. She has a couple pairs of pants, but I think she has worn them maybe twice this whole school year. She also likes to wear bright colors (lots of pink, purples and blues), none of the muted stuff you find in the stores in a lot of places and that a lot of kids are wearing. Deesknee what kind of jeans did you find your daughter will wear? My DD thought she wanted some for school at the beginning of the year, but when she went and tried some pairs on, she remembered why she hated them and decided no way!

Wow Deesknee and Poohfriend77, mine sounds just like your two. She's only in first grade, but she only likes dresses or tops and skirts. Leggings or bike shorts under dresses are about the only pants she will wear. She hates jeans, and doesn't really care for pants either. She has a couple pairs of pants, but I think she has worn them maybe twice this whole school year. She also likes to wear bright colors (lots of pink, purples and blues), none of the muted stuff you find in the stores in a lot of places and that a lot of kids are wearing. Deesknee what kind of jeans did you find your daughter will wear? My DD thought she wanted some for school at the beginning of the year, but when she went and tried some pairs on, she remembered why she hated them and decided no way!

We got them from Target. I think the brand name is Circo. She hated them when she first put them on, but I made her wear them 1 entire day. She came home from school and loved them. They are the type that the longer you wear them they sort of stretch out. They are the only type she enjoys wearing. And even though she knows they will feel better as the day goes on, she still complains when she first puts them on.

Deesknee said:
Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. DD is a young 4th grader. She loves everything Disney including the princesses. The problem is some of the other girls have informed her she shouldn't wear anything princess if she wants to "be popular". DD says she will be true to herself, but does agree she is too old to wear Princess stuff. She says tink & friends & mickey and friends are okay. Anyone else have this type of issue?

See this is why i am all for uniforms (including the shoes) when everybody look a like, at least the same clothes, then it should cut done on noticing who is wearing what anyway. And since when being popular in 4th grade was a priority? I mean when I was in 4th grade boys were still gross, my mom was still doing my hair, and you were cool if you wrote your name in cursive and was able to do an assignment in ink pen without making a mistake. I mean whats next 2 year olds in pre school not playing with or talking about the kid who's not wearing the latest Huggies pull up design? This is so sad you tell your daughter to stay true to herself and enjoy whatever it is she is in to. And a true friend will like you for what you have in common with each other and not what she is wearing. ;0)

OP... Going to the BBB on vactation and dressing in BBB clothes for school are two totally diffrent things.
Your daughter should have no worries about going to BBB on vacation. On the Disney Cruise I plan to dress up like Smee for Pirate Night. Would I wear that outfit around town here at home? No. But at Disney totally the norm no matter what your age.

Have you ever watched videos about Tokyo Disney? EVERYONE dresses like their favorite character when they go there. EVERYONE!! adults, kids, teens. It is the way cool thing to do in that culture. Honestly... we are sometimes behind Japan's fasion trends.

For example, all those winter animal hats everyone is wearing around here. Well I know for sure they were popular in Korea three years ago when we visited and EVERYONE was wearing them. No one here would even consider it then, but now everyone seems to have a stocking hat in the shape of an animal, especially teens.

This is "Disney World" we are talking about not "Our World" when in Rome...
and guess what?? Those girls won't be there, and any other girls you see, you will most likely never see again so who cares what they think, which they probaby won't think anything because they will be too busy having fun on their vacations. So live it up. You don't get to be a princess everyday.

OP... Going to the BBB on vactation and dressing in BBB clothes for school are two totally diffrent things.
Your daughter should have no worries about going to BBB on vacation. On the Disney Cruise I plan to dress up like Smee for Pirate Night. Would I wear that outfit around town here at home? No. But at Disney totally the norm no matter what your age.

Have you ever watched videos about Tokyo Disney? EVERYONE dresses like their favorite character when they go there. EVERYONE!! adults, kids, teens. It is the way cool thing to do in that culture. Honestly... we are sometimes behind Japan's fasion trends.

For example, all those winter animal hats everyone is wearing around here. Well I know for sure they were popular in Korea three years ago when we visited and EVERYONE was wearing them. No one here would even consider it then, but now everyone seems to have a stocking hat in the shape of an animal, especially teens.

This is "Disney World" we are talking about not "Our World" when in Rome...
and guess what?? Those girls won't be there, and any other girls you see, you will most likely never see again so who cares what they think, which they probaby won't think anything because they will be too busy having fun on their vacations. So live it up. You don't get to be a princess everyday.

I think you may have missed my point. My DD does do fun things in Disney, and I never assumed she would dress like she did after BBB at home. My issue was with classmates advising my daughter to dress/act other than she was comfortable with. I posted it here on the Disboards as princess tshirts, scarves, etc was one of the things the girl mentioned was not something to do if you wanted to be "popular". I was only wondering if others have had that issue as well. My DD loves disney tshirts, and I hate the thought of her not wanting to wear them JUST because her classmates are determining what will make DD "popular".
Thank you for your words. We DO live it up in Disney. I don't think DD will ever have a problem with that. My college age kids are still okay with wearing matching shirts in disney. Hopefully, youngest will follow suit. :)

See this is why i am all for uniforms (including the shoes) when everybody look a like, at least the same clothes, then it should cut done on noticing who is wearing what anyway. And since when being popular in 4th grade was a priority? I mean when I was in 4th grade boys were still gross, my mom was still doing my hair, and you were cool if you wrote your name in cursive and was able to do an assignment in ink pen without making a mistake. I mean whats next 2 year olds in pre school not playing with or talking about the kid who's not wearing the latest Huggies pull up design? This is so sad you tell your daughter to stay true to herself and enjoy whatever it is she is in to. And a true friend will like you for what you have in common with each other and not what she is wearing. ;0)

I have never been a fan of the idea of uniforms. Because I was always chubby as a kid. The uniforms they would put kids in around here were VERY unflattering if you had a weight issue. I was extremely subconscious of my weight and constantly tried to dress to hide it. I know kids that wore uniforms that were chubby that were teased unmercifully. HOWEVER, it would make this issue a lot less stressful. But, I suppose if kids are going to be mean nothing is going to stop them. AND honestly, who knows, maybe this kid was thinking she was TRULY helping my DD. :confused3

The issue seems resolved for now. Noone said anything about her Perry the Platypus shirt yesterday. Today was a dress.

Thanks to everyone for the advise, comments, suggestions, and stories. At least I know we are not alone. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter