DCP Background Check Question

mackers

Earning My Ears
Hello fellow Disney lovers!! I recently submitted my background check for the Disneyland College Program which is currently under review. I was convicted of a misdemeanor for petty theft about 4 years ago which was the most stupid decision of my entire life, obviously. I got caught up with a pathetic group of friends that 18year old me felt the need to impress. Anyways, I was completely honest about the whole thing when submitting the check and was just wondering if anyone has ever still been accepted into the program after owning up to their mistakes despite their past? I (ironically) currently have a job in retail that Ive had for 3 years and also have been working at a Marriott hotel for the last year along side my retail job. Any similar situations??

As long as you are upfront with it and own it then you should be okay. I've head of people not telling Disney about past things like this and having big issues, but you should be totally fine!

As long as you are upfront with it and own it then you should be okay. I've head of people not telling Disney about past things like this and having big issues, but you should be totally fine!
Okay thank you!! Youre the first person to give me some sort of confidence in the situation! haha

Each situation is unique, but generally, if you're convicted of theft, you likely wouldn't be placed in a position that involves handling money.

Jan 2017. We agononized over this and here is what happened in our case. Our child was arrested for theft a few years ago. He/She was put in a pre-trial diversion program, completed the program, and the charges were dismissed without ever entering a plea of any king. Fast forward years later to DCP. Our child was offered a position in the DCP. Shortly after being offered a position way before arriving in Florida you complete a pre-background check. This question is VERY confusing. It asks for a yes or no question if you have ever been "convicted, plead guilty or no lo to a crime. You have to pick yes or no. But then there are comments that you should tell Disney about all criminal activity, but you do not get a place to tell them about criminal activity unless you pick Y. The legal and correct answer to the question is NO, you have never been convicted or plead guilty to a crime in this case. When you arrive at Disney you complete a fingerprint background check on the first day. The question on that is have you ever been conviceted or plead guilty. The answer is still no. Because Disney involves children, each state legislature specifies which employers can get an FBI background check. Normal employers dont get access to these, usually just settings in healthcare, children, etc. These FBI background checks will tell if you were ever arrested even is the record was expunged. So at this point we have answered all the questions correctly, never been convicted, but freaking out what will happen. Casting was no help. The day after our child's fingerprint background check Disney called, put the employment on hold due to info on the background check ,and informed our child that he/she would need to complete a form with more details. The form was called disposition of case or words to that effect and it asks guilty, not guilty, Other. I suspect Disneys sees this arrest record and wants to know what happened and did you lie or have a conviction. We returned the form telling them in a few truthful sentences about the arrest record and said the disposition was the charges were dropped wihtout ever entering a plea. We were lucky enough to have the form from the state's attorney that said our child was aquitted of the charges because the charges were dismissed. We turned in the form and they removed the block in about 4 hours and this stressful ordeal was over. Would disney have just accepted our return of the form saying the charges were dismissed without having it in writing from the court, I cannot tell.

It's too late for the original poster for this question but this answer is for people who find this forum in the future and have the same question... don't worry! Take a deep breath! Everything will be ok. Back in 2016 I faced the same issue. I had an expungement and a charge sealed on my record (the charges were 7 years old at the time) . They do not ask during the application process. They do the background check stuff after you've been offered a position. I know it sucks, but the answer is that you MUST disclose ANY charges, pending or expunged. Expungements or sealed records are only removed at a certain level of BG checks, basically any criminal/court activity, whether pending or about to be removed, will show up on a deep background check, which Disney supposedly does. HOWEVER, the good news is that if it was (or is about to be) expunged or sealed it will most likely not be an issue, it wasn't an issue for me. I disclosed my charges in my background check. Disney does provide the opportunity for you to explain yourself and I did. My charges were really not good and I still was accepted to my professional internship and I'm happy to say that I ended up getting a job offer after my internship and I've been with the company since then. My recommendation if you were offered a position and checked " no" to the background check thinking that the expungement would not show up, then you should immediately contact your recruiter to say that you misunderstood the nature of the background check and would like to be completely honest and make a correction to the background check. If you do this right away, you will probably be fine. If you hide it, they will find out, and you may be rejected for dishonesty. This has happened to people before who thought their charges were expunged or sealed. So no matter what, disclose it. Good Luck!

It's too late for the original poster for this question but this answer is for people who find this forum in the future and have the same question... don't worry! Take a deep breath! Everything will be ok. Back in 2016 I faced the same issue. I had an expungement and a charge sealed on my record (the charges were 7 years old at the time) . They do not ask during the application process. They do the background check stuff after you've been offered a position. I know it sucks, but the answer is that you MUST disclose ANY charges, pending or expunged. Expungements or sealed records are only removed at a certain level of BG checks, basically any criminal/court activity, whether pending or about to be removed, will show up on a deep background check, which Disney supposedly does. HOWEVER, the good news is that if it was (or is about to be) expunged or sealed it will most likely not be an issue, it wasn't an issue for me. I disclosed my charges in my background check. Disney does provide the opportunity for you to explain yourself and I did. My charges were really not good and I still was accepted to my professional internship and I'm happy to say that I ended up getting a job offer after my internship and I've been with the company since then. My recommendation if you were offered a position and checked " no" to the background check thinking that the expungement would not show up, then you should immediately contact your recruiter to say that you misunderstood the nature of the background check and would like to be completely honest and make a correction to the background check. If you do this right away, you will probably be fine. If you hide it, they will find out, and you may be rejected for dishonesty. This has happened to people before who thought their charges were expunged or sealed. So no matter what, disclose it. Good Luck!
I'm currently going through this now. I'm waiting to hear from the department which sent me an email asking to speak to me. I was completely honest on the disclosure part even though I had no conviction.

Jan 2017. We agononized over this and here is what happened in our case. Our child was arrested for theft a few years ago. He/She was put in a pre-trial diversion program, completed the program, and the charges were dismissed without ever entering a plea of any king. Fast forward years later to DCP. Our child was offered a position in the DCP. Shortly after being offered a position way before arriving in Florida you complete a pre-background check. This question is VERY confusing. It asks for a yes or no question if you have ever been "convicted, plead guilty or no lo to a crime. You have to pick yes or no. But then there are comments that you should tell Disney about all criminal activity, but you do not get a place to tell them about criminal activity unless you pick Y. The legal and correct answer to the question is NO, you have never been convicted or plead guilty to a crime in this case. When you arrive at Disney you complete a fingerprint background check on the first day. The question on that is have you ever been conviceted or plead guilty. The answer is still no. Because Disney involves children, each state legislature specifies which employers can get an FBI background check. Normal employers dont get access to these, usually just settings in healthcare, children, etc. These FBI background checks will tell if you were ever arrested even is the record was expunged. So at this point we have answered all the questions correctly, never been convicted, but freaking out what will happen. Casting was no help. The day after our child's fingerprint background check Disney called, put the employment on hold due to info on the background check ,and informed our child that he/she would need to complete a form with more details. The form was called disposition of case or words to that effect and it asks guilty, not guilty, Other. I suspect Disneys sees this arrest record and wants to know what happened and did you lie or have a conviction. We returned the form telling them in a few truthful sentences about the arrest record and said the disposition was the charges were dropped wihtout ever entering a plea. We were lucky enough to have the form from the state's attorney that said our child was aquitted of the charges because the charges were dismissed. We turned in the form and they removed the block in about 4 hours and this stressful ordeal was over. Would disney have just accepted our return of the form saying the charges were dismissed without having it in writing from the court, I cannot tell.
Hi! How long in between the arrest and her being hired? Mines is 6 years and I'm concerned I may not get hired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!