DCL Disney Magic At Sea UK Residents Only Sailing Summer 2021 General Information

Advice from cruisers with older kids please!
Background: We (Me and 2 kids) usually go to DLP every 2 years or so since my eldest was 5. We love Disney, we are not affluent and we work extra jobs to afford our Disney holidays every few years. I have a DD18 and a DD15. Love Disney bounding, and more recently enjoying Disney dining experiences and the whole aesthetics and design of the parks, as well as parades rides and shows. Not so much the meet and greets as they are both slightly on the autism spectrum (social distancing has suited them SO perfectly this past year). Our fave hotels are Newport Bay and Sequoia Lodge - we don't go every year so we can do a nicer hotel and the dining plan. Hopefully that gives you a bit of insight into our 'vibe' before answering my question below:

Will the cruise appeal to an 18 year old and 15 year old? What is there for us to do as a family as DD15 cannot be in the adult areas and DD18 cannot be in the teen areas, the family pool is understandably full of younger kids and the adult pool where my DD15 would feel much more comfortable will be off limits to her? DD15 would def not be comfortable on her own in Vibe and the point is it's a family holiday! If anyone has experience of cruising with this kind of age group it would be so helpful to hear from you and understand a bit more about what might suit us. (For example 2 nights might be better than 3 for us if options to do things together are limited?)

I would love to book onto the Magic as a surprise and to make up for the postponed holiday (now in Feb 2022), but if it's not for us - another DLP booking might be in the offing! Thanks in advance.

I've sailed 5 times, and I think DCL is great for those aged ~approx 3-11. As kids get more "cool", and worry about their street cred, I honestly believe DCL isnt so suited. Obviously every child is different, but its just my observation. What was particularly noticeable was the group 18-21 on the US cruises, especially regarding alcohol and bars.

Website is back online now :)

disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/advance-booking-uk-staycations/

This summer, set sail on a unique Disney staycation at sea aboard 2-, 3- and limited 4-night cruises from the UK. Departing on select dates from Liverpool, Southampton, Newcastle and London Tilbury aboard the Disney Magic, our new staycation sailings—exclusive to UK residents—invite you to embark on a brand-new, memorable Disney experience.

Advance Booking for Castaway Club Members
If you’re currently a Platinum, Gold or Silver Castaway Club member, take advantage of the opportunity to book our new UK staycation sailings before they go on sale to the general public on 30th April 2021. Book by phone during a designated window.

When to Book

• 28th April 2021: Platinum Members, starting at 9:00 AM (UK time) by dedicated Platinum phone number 0800 328 2090 —or contact your travel agent
  • 28th April 2021: Gold Members, starting at 9:00 AM (UK time) by dedicated Gold phone number 0800 389 9298 —or contact your travel agent
  • 29th April 2021: Silver Members starting at 9:00 AM (UK time) by phone 0800 171 2317 —or contact your travel agent
  • 30th April 2021: All Guests starting at 9:00 AM (UK time). Book online at disneycruise.co.uk, by phone 0800 171 2317 —or contact your travel agent
Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Advance Booking for Select Disney Guests
If you’re currently a Golden Oak Club Member, Disney Vacation Club Member or an Adventure Insider with Adventures by Disney, you’re invited to enjoy the exclusive opportunity to book our new cruises before they go on sale to the general public on 30th April 2021.

When to Book

• 28th April 2021: Golden Oak Club Members, starting at 9:00 AM (UK time) by contacting Golden Oak Club Member Services
  • 29th April 2021: Disney Vacation Club Members can make a cash-only booking starting at 9:00 AM (UK time) by calling 0800 171 2317; to book with Reservation Points, call Member Services at 0800 783 2893 beginning at 2:00 PM BST—or contact your travel agent
  • 29th April 2021: Adventure Insiders starting at 9:00 AM BST by calling 0800 171 2317 —or contact your travel agent
Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Liverpool, England
With convenient transportation links, Liverpool is known for its historic sites, celebrated architecture, fabulous food and rock and roll! Depart on 2-, 3- and limited 4-night cruises on selected dates from 15th July to 30th July.

2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Liverpool:
18th July

Day 1: Departure from Liverpool, England
Day 2: At Sea
Day 3: Return to Liverpool, England

3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Liverpool:
15th July, 20th July, 27th July, 30th July

Day 3: At Sea
Day 4: Return to Liverpool, England

4-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Liverpool:
23rd July

Day 4: At Sea
Day 5: Return to Liverpool, England

Southampton, England
One of England’s major ports, Southampton has been called Britain’s “Gateway to the World” and offers everything from a fascinating history to modern art. Depart on 2-, 3- and limited 4-night cruises on selected dates from 4th August to 30th August.

2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Southampton:
4th August, 16th August, 18th August, 30th August

Day 1: Departure from Southampton, England
Day 3: Return to Southampton, England

3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Southampton:
6th August, 13th August, 20th August, 27th August

Day 4: Return to Southampton, England

4-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Southampton:
9th August, 23rd August

Day 4: At Sea
Day 5: Return to Southampton, England

Newcastle, England
From its engineering marvels to its scenic gardens, Newcastle is one of England's greatest cultural centres, and easy to reach from Glasgow and Edinburgh. Depart on 2- and 3-night cruises on selected dates from 3rd September to 11th September.

2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Newcastle:
6th September, 11th September

Day 1: Departure from Newcastle, England
Day 3: Return to Newcastle, England

3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from Newcastle:
3rd September, 8th September

Day 1: Departure from Newcastle, England
Day 4: Return to Newcastle, England

London Tilbury, England
Situated on the north shore of the River Thames, Tilbury (aka ‘the quay to the capital’) is less than 30 miles away from the iconic sights and sounds of London. Depart on 2- and 3-night cruises on selected dates from 14th September to 1st October.

2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from London Tilbury:
20th September, 22nd September, 27th September, 29th September

Day 1: Departure from Tilbury (London), England
Day 3: Return to Tilbury (London), England

3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Sailing from London Tilbury:
14th September, 17th September, 24th September, 1st October

Day 1: Departure from Tilbury (London), England
Day 4: Return to Tilbury (London), England

Thanks @steveyjc81 that does chime with my current feelings about this. Might be best to wait until they are both over 18 to do a cruise so we can all enjoy cocktails and the quiet pool! And the spa!

Not much talk about Covid requirements.

The information hasn't changed in the Health and Safety section on the overpage
"Our approach emphasizes a combination of health and safety measures. This includes COVID-19 testing, health screenings, face coverings, reduced Guest capacity and physical distancing. "

and its still the same information on the port pages

COVID-19 Testing
When you arrive at the terminal, you will need to complete a Lateral Flow Rapid COVID test. Once you and your party have tested negative, you will be able to embark. The test will be conducted before entering the terminal.

We last sailed on the Magic on the 2014 Transatlantic. It wasnt long after it had it's dry dock. I remember the Cove Cafe hadnt had a facelift - looked like an old folks home in comparison to the rest of the ship. Has it since had an update?

Also wonder about the food. Obviously the food is normally stocked from the US (Disney famous chicken tenders anyone?), and allegedly all the meat etc was USDA, even in the European sailings as this is what US passengers were happy with. I wonder how they will adapt - will there me new menus etc?

My last cruise was 2014 Transatlantic. It was awesome and we were so lucky to had wonderful weather too.

I never thought about food i think it will be UK ? also I think change menus well.

Thanks @steveyjc81 that does chime with my current feelings about this. Might be best to wait until they are both over 18 to do a cruise so we can all enjoy cocktails and the quiet pool! And the spa!

There may be a chance that the drinking age will remain US drinking age (21) just to mention. On cruises leaving Dover I think they have stuck with the ships drinking age in the past (or at least on the cruises I've been on)

Not much talk about Covid requirements.

I feel the same. I wanted a firm yes or no on vaccines and yes or no on tests before cruising but apart from mentioning testing at the port which hasn't actually changed since the first "wrong" announcement there is no clarity.

My girls were 14 and 18 on our last cruise in 2018. In the past, DCL had a bunch of family activities--drawing classes, crafts, entertainment, movies, etc. There were also open house hours at the kids clubs where anyone could attend. The Vibe staff (and all the kids club staff) is fantastic BTW, my kids were never in a club together, my older one was much more hesitant about attending by herself, but enjoyed going for specific activities that interested her that were listed in the personal navigator and she liked talking with the staff. Check out some personal navigators from previous cruises on the unofficial site: www.disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/ They'll help you see what activities were offered in the past that the whole family could do together. No idea how covid protocols will change things though!

Unfortunately the adult pool is just for 18 and up, so your 15 couldn't use that. The pools are pretty small anyways. Depending upon the air temps, the family pool (by the funnel movies) may not be that crowded. Our Alaska cruise had far fewer people in the pool due to outside air temps...the pool was heated so my then 12 yr old and I had no issue going in... we're from Massachusetts and used to colder weather!

If you're trying to figure out between 2-3 nights, go for the longer. You only have 1 full day with the 2 night and are still figuring out how to navigate the ship. 3 nights also allows you to experience all 3 dining rooms with their menus and any entertainment they might have.

Last edited:
Thank you @Geomom it's great to hear about the specifics and the friendliness of the staff. I will def check out the navigators for details
before I make up my mind!

Advice from cruisers with older kids please!
Background: We (Me and 2 kids) usually go to DLP every 2 years or so since my eldest was 5. We love Disney, we are not affluent and we work extra jobs to afford our Disney holidays every few years. I have a DD18 and a DD15. Love Disney bounding, and more recently enjoying Disney dining experiences and the whole aesthetics and design of the parks, as well as parades rides and shows. Not so much the meet and greets as they are both slightly on the autism spectrum (social distancing has suited them SO perfectly this past year). Our fave hotels are Newport Bay and Sequoia Lodge - we don't go every year so we can do a nicer hotel and the dining plan. Hopefully that gives you a bit of insight into our 'vibe' before answering my question below:

Will the cruise appeal to an 18 year old and 15 year old? What is there for us to do as a family as DD15 cannot be in the adult areas and DD18 cannot be in the teen areas, the family pool is understandably full of younger kids and the adult pool where my DD15 would feel much more comfortable will be off limits to her? DD15 would def not be comfortable on her own in Vibe and the point is it's a family holiday! If anyone has experience of cruising with this kind of age group it would be so helpful to hear from you and understand a bit more about what might suit us. (For example 2 nights might be better than 3 for us if options to do things together are limited?)

I would love to book onto the Magic as a surprise and to make up for the postponed holiday (now in Feb 2022), but if it's not for us - another DLP booking might be in the offing! Thanks in advance.
Our family enjoys a lot of together time on the cruise: trivia, bingo, arts/crafts activities, all meals, the evening broadway style shows and other entertainment offerings (e.g. family game shows, events like the "sail a wave" party and pirate night). But I will say, one of the things we love most about the cruise is we can all have a little me-time too in addition to the family time. My DH likes to sit in the hot tub in the adult area. I love the spa rainforest room. And the kids are happy doing their own thing too--gives them a little bit of independence.

I would definitely go for the 3 night over the 2 night. Especially for a first cruise, where you need time to get your bearings and figure out where things are. Plus with a 3 night you get to experience each of the three dining rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts