DCL Disney Magic At Sea UK Residents Only Sailing Summer 2021 General Information

There may be a chance that the drinking age will remain US drinking age (21) just to mention. On cruises leaving Dover I think they have stuck with the ships drinking age in the past (or at least on the cruises I've been on)

On our Mediterranean cruise in 2019, my son was 20. The official drinking age onboard was 21, but because he was over 18, I was able to sign a waiver that allowed him to have alcohol as long as he was with a parent.

My kids were 16 and 20 and both really enjoyed the cruise, but they enjoyed hanging out with other teens (my daughter in Vibe) and 18-20s (my son with the 1820 Society, which met for scheduled events once a day or so and informally throughout the day). Geomom and MomOTwins have given good lists of activities that the whole family can do together. We also went to a lot of trivia events hosted by cruise staff -- some Disney based, some more general. The night my husband, son, and I went to Palo. our daughter went to the main dining room by herself, knowing our service team would take good care of her.

As well as the daytime activities for all the family there are lots of spots to just hang out together. Kids are allowed in the bars during the day so we would pick up some soft drinks and cookies/fruit from the pool deck and take them to the pub for some board games by a porthole.

The pool will be horrible I imagine unless they instigate some sort of timing system but I doubt they'll do that.

If you enjoy shows it'll be worth it. They do good shows. We found value in the film's but as nothing new has been released that won't be a great draw this summer.

I'm back on the fence myself. Want to do something this summer but worry about going stir crazy with no ports to explore. I'm not generally an all inclusive stay in the resort kind of girl. Maybe I should just save my money until the world opens up again. But then I think about the food, curling up with a book whilst kids are in the club and the ease of it all. Would be more relaxing then any other UK option.

Quite a bit more further info has come out this evening if it answers any questions some of you might have? 👍

Attachments

• 0F62D094-B869-467A-9E62-21E94DDF7EB6.jpeg
    0F62D094-B869-467A-9E62-21E94DDF7EB6.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 5D620747-E663-469B-9B58-094D238351D1.jpeg
    5D620747-E663-469B-9B58-094D238351D1.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 103

Weird that only the Southampton ones are during school holidays. Not as school kid friendly outside this.

As Matt said Liverpool is in the school holidays although even if it wasn’t I know a lot of people are taking kids out of school this year, even more than usual, as they want a bit of family fun. I can’t see it falling in term time being a big deterrent, well certainly not to parents I have been speaking to.

Just a curious American question...when are your school holidays? Do they differ from France, Italy, Spain, or the rest of EU?

I'm rooting for you all! I really hope this works and you can get on a cruise. Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!

Just to say there's no deck 12 on the magic so not sure you did do a Transatlantic on that deck. We you referring to a different ship?

Typo. we were discussing ocean view cabins on Deck 2 and that 1 slipped in front of my 2. sadly, I don’t bother checking my work before submitting it. I find a lot of weird things when I go back later. Like the lowercase s at the beginning of this sentence.

Maybe it's similar to Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross?

Now I will be in trouble for letting ordinary people know about Deck 12!

Just a curious American question...when are your school holidays? Do they differ from France, Italy, Spain, or the rest of EU?

I'm rooting for you all! I really hope this works and you can get on a cruise. Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!

Not sure when the europe school summer holidays are but ours break up roughly the 3rd week in july, give or take, and are off for 6 weeks. I have friends in America (that we met on DCL in 2011) and I still can’t get my head round their schools.

We get about 6 weeks in the summer. Kids start back at the start of September. Which day varies, but if you count back from then, that gives you a tough idea, mid- to 3/4 through July to first few days September.

Unlike the US, we get a week at about the end of October, two weeks at Christmas, a week in February, two weeks at Easter, and a week at the end of May. Usually also a few scattered days in the year as well. There also isn't a rule about needing to be in for 180 days, so days missed for snow, etc. aren't made up.

I wonder if they will allow door decorations and Fish Exchange to happen when they sail.

I hang my fish extender but don’t participate, because I enjoy the design and it helps me find my room. I could see not having an exchange, though.

Door decorations - why not? Unless specifically told no, I’d pack them.

I hang my fish extender but don’t participate, because I enjoy the design and it helps me find my room. I could see not having an exchange, though.

Door decorations - why not? Unless specifically told no, I’d pack them.
I make another one fish extender as it supposed for 2014 but we moved to new house 5 days before 2014 WBTC cruise and sewing machine was broken. So last week, I was sewing and finish it off . I will hang it also will do design for door too. Why not..

Advice from cruisers with older kids please!
Background: We (Me and 2 kids) usually go to DLP every 2 years or so since my eldest was 5. We love Disney, we are not affluent and we work extra jobs to afford our Disney holidays every few years. I have a DD18 and a DD15. Love Disney bounding, and more recently enjoying Disney dining experiences and the whole aesthetics and design of the parks, as well as parades rides and shows. Not so much the meet and greets as they are both slightly on the autism spectrum (social distancing has suited them SO perfectly this past year). Our fave hotels are Newport Bay and Sequoia Lodge - we don't go every year so we can do a nicer hotel and the dining plan. Hopefully that gives you a bit of insight into our 'vibe' before answering my question below:

Will the cruise appeal to an 18 year old and 15 year old? What is there for us to do as a family as DD15 cannot be in the adult areas and DD18 cannot be in the teen areas, the family pool is understandably full of younger kids and the adult pool where my DD15 would feel much more comfortable will be off limits to her? DD15 would def not be comfortable on her own in Vibe and the point is it's a family holiday! If anyone has experience of cruising with this kind of age group it would be so helpful to hear from you and understand a bit more about what might suit us. (For example 2 nights might be better than 3 for us if options to do things together are limited?)

I would love to book onto the Magic as a surprise and to make up for the postponed holiday (now in Feb 2022), but if it's not for us - another DLP booking might be in the offing! Thanks in advance.
The Disney Magic is a great starter boat for cruising. It has the beauty of details that Disney puts into its properties. Just seeing it from the outside, with its classic ocean liner colors and double red funnels sets the tone. The new ships have some advantages and are beautiful, too, but the Magic started it all.

My niece, who cruised the most with me, began at age 14. We did back-to-back Transatlantic & Med cruises (total 25 days), age 17. She honeymooned on the Wonder in Alaska at age 25.

She is not the type to enjoy hanging out with normal teens. Her personal choice. She and I did pretty much the same things. Lots of trivia, any tours offered, exploring the ship. For her, it was a place she could freely move around and be independent.

(On the first Transatlantic in 2010, they had figured out that they needed more daily activities to keep us occupied; years later, on a Panama Canal cruise, they had really upped their game. For example, One day, they had hide-and-seek with the officers. ). A lot of it depends on the Cruise Director.

I’m fairly certain she went to a cooking demonstration without me. She and her sisters are the type to watch the Great British Baking Show.

Breakfast, trivia, explore, lunch, go to the movies, trivia, dinner, a stage show, watch something on TV. Basically - vacation.

I have never found a cruise line pool I thought was worth the effort. Too small to actually swim. Often too cold when you get out (although I did get in on an Alaskan cruise).

It’s definitely different than the parks. Not nearly the constant stimulus or rushing around.

The previous posters gave great information of activities.

I find three nights to be too short; we did a 3-night for our first cruise, then a 4-night five months later. That extra day allowed us to relax. Now, we had a day at Castaway, so the 2 days at sea might be enough for an introductory cruise. There’s something about unpacking your bags and then repacking them the next night. “Didn’t we just get here?”

Watching the anticipation build in this thread is a bit like seeing the excitement before checking your lottery numbers. Just don't invest too much emotion into it before you see those prices - particularly, for those verandahs on the Magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter