• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL carry-on alcohol policy changing Sept. 30 2015

Suck! And right before our first disney cruise and literally just days after we paid in full! I don't like beer and wine!! I need whiskey and rum on vacay! !!! ;) so here comes the stress of figuring out to smuggle it on maybe like we have done on the cruise lines. Totally disappointed here,maybe that sounds like a childish alcoholic of me, but it certainly puts a damper on our vacay. We have had to save to be able to go and so hundreds of dollars extra for drinks at 10 and 12 a pop on a 7 day cruise just isn't in the cards.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't drink beer or wine and we had only planned on bring probably just a single bottle of hard liquor so its annoying in that respect. To me, it just seems like since we started planning this cruise (Oct '14) its just been one small policy change after another. Individually they aren't that bad, but combined I'm starting to wonder if Disney is really worth the extra cost. They don't seem to have that little somethin' extra any more.

This is how we're beginning to feel. My son is over Disney (more into Nick now) and the reason we continue to use DLC is the flexibility. They made it easy. We could bring a bottle of rum, or buy one in port, without the hassle. I'm not against this policy change b/c I'm a huge drinker - I merely enjoyed the flexibility and ease of cruising with DCL. Now, it's no different than any other highend cruise line.

This is awful. We love to cruise with DCL for this reason alone. I guess we will be canceling our summer cruise for next year.

Darn, I have made FE gifts for the adults in our group which included individual bottles of rum. (And yes, I got everyones ok on it.)

We usually bring boxed wine on board. If there are two adults is a box with the equivalent of 4 bottles ok, I wonder??? Or does each person have to physically carry on their two bottles worth.

Not surprised by the restrictions just wish it took effect after my cruise. pirate:

I have never seen a cruiseline allow boxed wine. It's always the 750ml bottles that are allowed.

a lot of people are contacting DCL to try and extend the date - at least until Nov 1st so those who have PIF will be cruising under the same conditions they have paid for. And to see if they can allow a slight increase for the longer cruises. DCL.guest.communications@disneycruise.com.

If I was in those shoes I'd be seriously miffed, too. I'd be pitching a fit of epic proportions. But, it does say in the T&C that policies are subject to change at any time with no notice. In fact, it says anything can change at any time with no notice....

I'm not surprised the policy is being changed. I have no doubt that DCL hopes to sell more beer/wine on board under the new policy.

For us its really not an issue. We are big wine drinkers but being able to bring on board 4 bottles (2 per adult) for consumption in our own stateroom should last us an entire 7-night cruise. If we run out, we will buy more at a port of call. In addition to the wine we bring on board, we typically also buy a wine package to drink at dinner. On a 7-night cruise we will get either the 3- or 4-night package.

That's kind of the point, isn't it? A bottle of wine or even two, along with 6 containers of beer, only goes so far. Hence Disney will be raking in the dough for those people who want more than that. I'm not buying that Disney made this change out of concern for public consumption of alcohol. As long as people aren't getting rowdy (does that happen much on a Disney cruise), they probably don't care who drinks what and where.

Personally, I don't drink beer or wine and we had only planned on bring probably just a single bottle of hard liquor so its annoying in that respect. To me, it just seems like since we started planning this cruise (Oct '14) its just been one small policy change after another. Individually they aren't that bad, but combined I'm starting to wonder if Disney is really worth the extra cost. They don't seem to have that little somethin' extra any more.

BUT if you drink wine or beer, you can get more at each port. THAT is different from the others I'm aware of.

As for mixed drinks...if that was the only difference you saw between a Disney cruise and another cruise, well...another cruise line should suit you fine. While I did enjoy RCCL and do have a cruise planned on them, for me they are missing that Disney magic. And I'm not talking about the ability to mix my own drinks. Everyone has their own priorities. If I recall, we've seen the "never cruising them" again threats with every policy change and while true we never see some of those posters again, many of them either never left or have come back after trying another line.

We had already decided that bringing 1 bottle of wine per adult was too much for us, so this doesn't impact me. However, I would be interested in packages like other lines offer just for ease.

I have to agree that people insisting on abusing the previous policy has contributed to this. That includes saying things like "how does it hurt anyone?!" when discussing flouting the rules.

This is a really big disappointment. We will be taking DCL cruise 17 in November and the perk of being able to bring on wine and liquor has been important in justifying the higher costs of a DCL cruise. We are not drunken cruisers (and rarely have I seen any on our DCL cruises) but we enjoy having cocktails in our room and on our veranda. We still spend plenty in the lounges and dining rooms. My husband and I cruise DCL with and without our daughter because of the quality and what we considered value due to the on-board alcohol policy. This will definitely make us at least consider sailing other lines in the future (we have never sailed any other line besides DCL).

Rumor is that DCL will be introducing a 12-step cruise for those seriously impacted by this draconian rule change. Port Adventures will include the Betty Ford Clinic, the spa will have special deals for 'treating those annoying shakes', and Disney will be re-premEARing the Sandra Bullock classic '28 Days'.

If they roll out some inclusive adult beverage packages then I'm still okay sailing Disney. Without any packages it's going to be a factor. Seriously. People can argue all day that other cruise lines don't allow hard liquor but those cruise lines also don't cost as much as Disney.

I agree, if they are going to use a similar policy to other cruise lines, then they need to also offer some type of drink package.

Some of the responses to this policy change are proof that Disney fans are their own special breed.

Why defend a policy change that takes away from the experience? Even if you didn't partake of that particular experience? You can defend Disney all you want, but in the end this makes Disney less appealing then before, not more.

I was just thinking that someone should post a sticky with where to buy wine and beer at each foreign port so we don't have to wander around aimlessly looking for a place.

I've found that the grocery stores in Spain, France and Italy are the best places to get wine. They are just about everywhere, the wine is inexpensive compared to a wine store, and it's usually pretty good as that is where the locals buy their wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter