• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL carry-on alcohol policy changing Sept. 30 2015

Well that is disappointing news!

What about those that don't drink wine or beer, but like a little libation ( rum/vodka ) ? This really puts a damper on our WBPC cruise :-( Those sea days are going to be even longer - or our on board bill will be even longer too!

- Even though we usually bring 1 bottle of rum or vodka on - for a mixed drink at poolside, we usually would have a drink in the clubs at night, so DCL still made $$ on liquor from us. I guess if we can't bring it on anymore - a reasonably priced drink package would be something they should offer too.

Let's hope they continue to offer on board tastings - and that they don't raise those prices too!

Does this mean they will institute a drinks package like RCCL?

Also, this sucks for long cruises.

Only sucks for the long cruises that don't have port stops - or I guess if you don't drink beer or wine - as the way I read it, you can bring 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers on at EACH PORT. Also, they are allowing it PER GUEST - as a solo cruiser that's nice. Holland America is two per stateroom at embarkation assuming two adult guests - if you're solo you only get one bottle allowance. RCCL is per stateroom (so equal for me since I cruise solo) but ONLY at embarkation.

Drink packages would be a nice option so you don't get hit with a big bill at the end of the cruise.

Obviously it's financially driven - given that it seemed some people were bringing their home bars along with them AND not sticking to the "only in your cabin" it was inevitable that a change would have to be made.

People posting here they took bottles of wine into the lounges, and beer or mixed drinks all over the ship. I guess Disney felt the abuse of their policy was finally too much. Hard to blame DCL for this.

Not sure how this policy will stop this. You'll still be able to bring beer/wine onboard and its not like they are going to stop selling mixed drinks onboard. So people will still be bringing alcohol into lounges and other places.

Read more into it, you can bring a six pack per Adult at every port
See all is not lost...
....or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

My Beer card/Glass will be used more

Robin & Angel "D"

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. My husband brings beer and I'm happy with the drink of the day. I was already trying to crunch the beer number per cruiser. Thinking if we travel with another couple that would get him a 24 can case. I'm cruise on September 12th and am tempted to now bring some margarita mixings since we are in a 5E cabin and have the extra large veranda!!!!

Not sure how this policy will stop this. You'll still be able to bring beer/wine onboard and its not like they are going to stop selling mixed drinks onboard. So people will still be bringing alcohol into lounges and other places.

It won't stop it, but it WILL limit it - a bottle of wine or even two only goes so far. Ditto 6 containers of beer. Granted if you have a group of adults you've got more ability to bring things on, but...

And it will stop the mixed drinks as I imagine there will be much more scrutiny of checked bags - I'm seeing a Disney version of the naughty room starting with this.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. My husband brings beer and I'm happy with the drink of the day. I was already trying to crunch the beer number per cruiser. Thinking if we travel with another couple that would get him a 24 can case. I'm cruise on September 12th and am tempted to now bring some margarita mixings since we are in a 5E cabin and have the extra large veranda!!!!

DO IT!!! for us, one last Hura before the change the policy!

ask your DH to have a beer for me!

Robin & Angel "D"

Last edited:

Ok this should eliminate or reduce the threads "how to find a liquor store on the way to the port" threads... For us, was not the reason we cruise Disney that is the superior quality of the service and the experience, but was a nice perk. Last 7 night cruise I took a 9 pack 16 oz bottle cans, and three bottles of wine, brought 1 bottle home and left 2 beers behind, just did not spend that much time lounging in the cabin... And so it goes...

Darn, I have made FE gifts for the adults in our group which included individual bottles of rum. (And yes, I got everyones ok on it.)

We usually bring boxed wine on board. If there are two adults is a box with the equivalent of 4 bottles ok, I wonder??? Or does each person have to physically carry on their two bottles worth.

Not surprised by the restrictions just wish it took effect after my cruise. pirate:

I'm disappointed about this change in policy! We were greatly looking forward to a cruise without our littles and aren't huge fans of beer/wine. Much prefer a nice fruity cocktail myself! :)

Bummer! Thanks for sharing OP!

My cruise is the beginning of September. Now I can be nervous that they are going to confiscate my rum. :scared1:

I wrote a note to DCL, I know it won't change it, but we are cruising late October and were planning on this for our 14 night cruise. Is it the end of the world, no, but I think it bites. Their wine packages suck, they way over-charge on their wine that they do offer, and I think this notice is too short for those of us past our PIF dates. Plus, I am not a fan of 95% of the wines Disney carries on the ship. I don't mind at all for my cruises next summer, because I can still cancel those and choose a different line now. It is a part of the consideration for cruising with Disney for me.

Thanks DCL. The alcohol policy is how I sold this trip to my parents. I had hopes of making them DCL fans. Since they normally take 1-2 cruises a year, it could have been a good money earner for you. Now I have to explain to them that everything I said about them being able to make cocktails in their staterooms was a lie. Since DH doesn't really like cruising you can pretty much kiss our dollars goodbye for the future. Oh, and thanks for discontinuing the whole character signature thing, too. I love how you're making all these changes right before I go on my cruise. Makes me really glad I committed to doing this over a year ago.

Not sure how I feel about it. This definitely doesnt affect my first two cruises ever (and on DCL) next year that I've already paid for since DH and I dont drink. BUT, it actually may just affect the DCL cruise I was going to book while on board for my family including my two oldest and one of the spouses in Dec 2017. My two oldest and the spouse are in their 20s and they all three do drink (but not wine or beer, they like to mix their drinks). I picked DCL 6 months ago because of their stand on allowing bringing hard liquor in carryon. This reason I was willing to fork out more than using another line, now i"m not sure (and no I'm not whining but I do like to look at all costs since the drinking cost would be up to my kids and I know they are on budgets).

If they roll out some inclusive adult beverage packages then I'm still okay sailing Disney. Without any packages it's going to be a factor. Seriously. People can argue all day that other cruise lines don't allow hard liquor but those cruise lines also don't cost as much as Disney. I'm already at a tipping point: bored with shows/menus/entertainment. Hubby is the last holdout in the family, really. The premium paid to sail Disney has been partially justified by "Well, we can bring our own liquor so we can reduce the bar tab cost" but with that gone...... I dunno. I guess I'll still be cruising with my girlfriends each fall but I'm even thinking more and more about that.

Ok this should eliminate or reduce the threads "how to find a liquor store on the way to the port" threads... For us, was not the reason we cruise Disney that is the superior quality of the service and the experience, but was a nice perk. Last 7 night cruise I took a 9 pack 16 oz bottle cans, and three bottles of wine, brought 1 bottle home and left 2 beers behind, just did not spend that much time lounging in the cabin... And so it goes...

they will simply be replaced by threads such as "how do I smuggle my rum aboard?" or "How do I recork and seal a wine bottle?"

they will simply be replaced by threads such as "how do I smuggle my rum aboard?" or "How do I recork and seal a wine bottle?"

I can help with this. I did it once on RCI to see if I could. We had prepaid adult beverage packages but I wanted to see if I could do it successfully. My vodka & whiskey made it onboard just fine. I suppose I was channeling my inner pirate. I also thought that if I got called to the "Naughty Room" that'd be interesting, too. LOL!

It won't stop it, but it WILL limit it - a bottle of wine or even two only goes so far. Ditto 6 containers of beer. Granted if you have a group of adults you've got more ability to bring things on, but...

And it will stop the mixed drinks as I imagine there will be much more scrutiny of checked bags - I'm seeing a Disney version of the naughty room starting with this.

That's kind of the point, isn't it? A bottle of wine or even two, along with 6 containers of beer, only goes so far. Hence Disney will be raking in the dough for those people who want more than that. I'm not buying that Disney made this change out of concern for public consumption of alcohol. As long as people aren't getting rowdy (does that happen much on a Disney cruise), they probably don't care who drinks what and where.

Personally, I don't drink beer or wine and we had only planned on bring probably just a single bottle of hard liquor so its annoying in that respect. To me, it just seems like since we started planning this cruise (Oct '14) its just been one small policy change after another. Individually they aren't that bad, but combined I'm starting to wonder if Disney is really worth the extra cost. They don't seem to have that little somethin' extra any more.

And the new policy specifically states that is not allowed (taking your wine or beer into lounges or public places). So, look for Disney to observe how people abuse the new policy, and if it continues they might just cut off all alcohol brought onboard.

"Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter