Daycare staying open

monica9

DIS Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2011
I don't know who to ask because I know that there's a big relief with daycare's being open during this time. Our town and pretty much our whole state shut down public schools. My 3year old's day care did not. My 11 year old has a liver condition and suppressed immune system so we are not sending our 3 year old to day care but we will continue to get charged. Should I ask if they can give up her spot until public schools reopen again? I don't know if it's rude to ask but I'd hate to spend all that money and not send her. I know parents need child care but how is it safe for toddlers and babies to be in school who don't wash well and put everything in their mouth yet we have to keep our school age kids home? I've heard that 20% of people develop lung scarring from this and we still don't know what the long term effects are from contracting this. I don't understand why it's ok to jeopardize our little ones.
Has anyone heard if the government is reinmbursing if you choose to keep your child out of day care even though the health department hasn't shut it down yet?
 

Tink_83

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 29, 2017
My daycare is giving us 2 weeks of not paying the reservation fee. But it’s a large daycare (a kindercare). Also, normally the large ones allow you to pay a reservation fee - 1/2 of the normal week, at least in my area (it is literally part of vacation planning for me, I’m paying x for the trip but saving y on daycare as an offset). Anyway, my opinion is I’d do it, it’s not really rude. But I’d have a backup plan in case you can’t get your 3 year old in again...
 

Tallis

Mouseketeer
Joined
Apr 1, 2019
I'm keeping my 1 year old granddaughter out of daycare, but my daughter is still paying so as not to lose her spot. The daycare she is in has a long waiting list, so not going to risk it. I suppose it depends on how in-demand your daycare is in your area.

On a positive not, COVID-19 does not seem to be impacting children, even in China. It's mainly a problem for the elderly.
 
  • monica9

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    May 3, 2011
    I'm keeping my 1 year old granddaughter out of daycare, but my daughter is still paying so as not to lose her spot. The daycare she is in has a long waiting list, so not going to risk it. I suppose it depends on how in-demand your daycare is in your area.

    On a positive not, COVID-19 does not seem to be impacting children, even in China. It's mainly a problem for the elderly.
    We are moving her to a preschool come September so I'm not too worried about losing a spot which is good. I only have her there until end of June. Not sure if this will clear up by then.
    I did read that it doesn't have a huge impact on children but I also read that 20% of people develop scar tissue on their lungs and also if you get it a second time it's even worse and larger risk of death. This will probably be around for a while so I defeintely don't want her to develop this at a young age. Also, it's more for her carrying it and giving it to my 11 year old with health issues. We will see. If it goes into April I may just take her out of the daycare and save the money for a future Disney vacay!
     

    kandb

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Apr 22, 2006
    You should cancel her daycare asap. Why pay for a service you are not using. I doubt very much the children are going back to school anytime soon. This virus is only going to get worse and even after 2 weeks or after the end of the month, there will still be no vaccine or treatment. I would not be surprised at all if the children will be out of school for the rest of the year.
     

    westie55

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    May 24, 2015
    I unenrolled my 2 children from daycare. Our daycare charges 50% tuition if you are absent for the week and notify them in advance. I was willing to pay that for a week or two, but it now seems that this is not going away for AT LEAST the next 8 weeks. I am a public school teacher and I will be surprised if we are able to go back by mid May. My family depends on income from 2 small businesses, one of which had to close due to government regulations and the other is open limited hours (for now) but could be ordered to close any day. In these financially uncertain times, I cannot afford to pay over $1200 a month for a service I am not using when our own income is going to be reduced due to the impacts of the virus. When it is safe for my children to return to daycare, I will re-enroll them. Note that they go to a local center that is part of a larger chain, so I am not hurting a small mom and pop business.
     

    Darcy03231

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 1, 2006
    My SIL just closed her daycare as of 3/23. Our county had its first reported case. She said early on when that happened she would close.
     
  • Specter

    This is the way
    Joined
    Oct 6, 2011
    DW is a teacher and not going back to work for at least the next 3 weeks, and probably more but they haven't announced that yet. DD is only 10 months so we intend to send her to her daycare for a few more years. In light of the situation and DD staying home with mom we called and they graciously froze our account so when all of this blows over and DW is back at work we just call them up and let them know a few days in advance so that they can arrange for adequate staffing. Not sure if your daycare offers anything like that but it never hurts to ask.
     



    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.






    Top