• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Day unavailable in middle of dates

Hettie

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to wrap my brain around this, can someone tell me if my thinking is correct?

The scenario: 7 month booking window, non-home resort

Days 1 & 2 available
Day 3 unavailable
Days 4-7 available

I want to try to eventually book the open days and waitlist the single unavailable day.

Do I book days 1 & 2 then have to wait until the window opens for day 3 to waitlist that one? Then, do I have to again wait another day to hopefully book the remainder?

Also, if I see that day 3 has become available (before that booking window opens), can I call to add that as a continuance of the first reservation?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this, can someone tell me if my thinking is correct?

The scenario: 7 month booking window, non-home resort

Days 1 & 2 available
Day 3 unavailable
Days 4-7 available

I want to try to eventually book the open days and waitlist the single unavailable day.

Do I book days 1 & 2 then have to wait until the window opens for day 3 to waitlist that one? Then, do I have to again wait another day to hopefully book the remainder?

Also, if I see that day 3 has become available (before that booking window opens), can I call to add that as a continuance of the first reservation?

You are explaining it correctly. You can waitlist the whole thing on the Day 1 availability day, but all you can book that day is Days 1&2.

You have to do the next steps you mention, waitlist day 3 when it's the 7 month day, and then wait until the next day to book remaining days.

If you get all days eventually, MS should be able to make it a continuous stay, if your using one membership.

Here's my suggestion:

1) On the first day of your 7-month window, book the first two days and waitlist the entire week.

2) During those first two days, check the DVC website frequently to see if the third day opens up - if it does, call - they will be able to attach it to your reservation (but you can't do it yourself online.)

3) When Day 3 arrives, waitlist it.

A CM told me that having two waitlists going on at the same time, one for the entire week, one for only the day(s) needed, increases your chance of the waitlist going through.

A CM told me that having two waitlists going on at the same time, one for the entire week, one for only the day(s) needed, increases your chance of the waitlist going through.

How does having the two different waitlists going increase your chances? I thought if you were at the top of the list, someone would have to cancel all days you're looking for? Therefore if you are only looking for one day you'd have a much better chance of that waitlist coming through than if you're waitlisting seven days.

Here's my suggestion:

1) On the first day of your 7-month window, book the first two days and waitlist the entire week.

2) During those first two days, check the DVC website frequently to see if the third day opens up - if it does, call - they will be able to attach it to your reservation (but you can't do it yourself online.)

3) When Day 3 arrives, waitlist it.

Aha, thanks, it hadn't occurred to me to go ahead and waitlist the whole stay while I'm waiting for the booking window to waitlist the single day.

How does having the two different waitlists going increase your chances? I thought if you were at the top of the list, someone would have to cancel all days you're looking for? Therefore if you are only looking for one day you'd have a much better chance of that waitlist coming through than if you're waitlisting seven days.

Yeah, I'm wondering how that would increase chances as well, maybe the position in the queue based on when each waitlist was created? Since the full week waitlist will presumably be higher in the queue than the waitlist for the single day, it could be filled before other member's similar waitlists that had been created in between.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to keep both waitlists after I'm able to waitlist the single day though?

I think the CM was referencing waitlisting just the single day which not all people think of.

In OP's case there is a couple days wait to do the waitlist for the missing day so setting up a waitlist for the entire stay means that if the day opens up today then the waitlist will fill before even getting to waitlisting the one day.

But once all the other days are booked then waitlisting just the single day is all that is needed and the week waitlist can be cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter