Daughter is in a walking boot--special needs stroller or wheelchair?

NiceOneSimba

DIS Veteran
Our daughter, who just turned 10, will be in a walking boot on our trip next week. She has a pretty horrendous sprained foot (turf toe AND midfoot sprain). Even though she can walk in the boot, there is just no way I want her to spend all day walking in the parks.

So, what would you recommend in terms of mobility assistance? She is pretty tall big for her age--4'9" (57") and weighs just about 100 pounds without the boot. The seat needs to be at least 16 inches wide for her to fit comfortably.

One of my main concerns is that I will be the person pushing her, and I am almost 5'9", and I am really concerned about handle height on the wheelchairs. When my DD was younger, I found many strollers had handles that were uncomfortably low for me--and that was when she was tiny. The thought of having to stoop over while pushing her for the better part of a week is just not appealing.

We could obviously just rent a chair in the parks, but they seem like they would be WAY too big for her, and probably not super comfortable to push, either.

We're open to renting a special needs stroller, a pediatric wheelchair, a transport chair--whatever would be comfortable for the both of us

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks so much!

I would go with a wheelchair ( you can get handle extender to make them hurt for you) a wheelchair will be easer for her to get in and out of and she can push her self a little and maybe us the wheelchair as a walker when she would like to walk some. I would also ask her what she wants

I would look at what options may fit her for a stroller. I’m thinking she could be near max size for some, limiting the options. Orlando Medical Rentals will have the most options. A wheelchair may be best. Either way, I would definitely rent from offsite. The onsite wheelchair may not be as comfortable.

Enjoy your vacation!

Walker Mobility rents 16" wheelchairs. Standard seat width is 18". You want to rent one that will not be too wide for her to be comfortable .

I didn't even think about a stroller being harder to get in and out of, but that seems obvious now. ;-P

Handle extenders sound perfect--I didn't even know that was a thing!

We'll definitely be renting offsite.

Thanks so much!

Does she need to elevate her leg? If so ask about getting a wheelchair with the extension to hold her leg up (I don’t know the technical term). But it may make it more comfortable for her to have that option

We rented a 16-inch chair with leg elevators so she can elevate her leg. I am sure she will appreciate being able to elevate her leg if it starts to hurt (and I'm sure it will).

Still waiting to hear back from Orlando Medical Rentals to see if they have the handle extender jobbies. If not, we'll cross our fingers that the snow here melts enough that we can get an Amazon Prime delivery before we head out. ;-P

Again, thanks so much for your advice. This is a new one for us, and we feel so much more confident that we all will be comfortable and enjoy our trip!

We rented a 16-inch chair with leg elevators so she can elevate her leg. I am sure she will appreciate being able to elevate her leg if it starts to hurt (and I'm sure it will).

Still waiting to hear back from Orlando Medical Rentals to see if they have the handle extender jobbies. If not, we'll cross our fingers that the snow here melts enough that we can get an Amazon Prime delivery before we head out. ;-P

Again, thanks so much for your advice. This is a new one for us, and we feel so much more confident that we all will be comfortable and enjoy our trip!
what about an Amazon Prime order to you hotel not your home?

I have the same problem with my wife who is in a boot as well. We are going to be at WDW in 13 days. I contacted Buena Vista Rentals (407-938-0349)and for 12 dollars a day they will have the wheelchair at the resort when I arrive and will pick it up when we leave. They had a lot of options to choose from.

You can have Amazon Prime shipped to the Resort Hotel :)

We're staying in an offsite condo, so shipping ahead of time isn't an option.. We are flying Southwest, so checked bags are free. :)

She was very excited when we told her about the trip today (it was supposed to be a surprise, but her dad let it slip in a call with a coworker--oh well, it will actually make things easier for the next couple of days), and VERY relieved that we are getting her a wheelchair. Poor girl--we have our follow-up appointment with the doctor tomorrow. Hoping she gets the okay to do a little swimming--or at least floating. After a week of crazy snow (and no school tomorrow for the third straight day--after two snow days the week before), we have all earned some pool time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter