DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

The one thing I don’t understand is Disney states that DAS is for autism or similar developmental disabilities but then doesn’t want to hear that your child is autistic? My DS28 is nonverbal. I have to speak for him. I understand that just a diagnosis of autism doesn’t qualify you for DAS but it seems that if Disney NAMES autism in the qualifications that you would start with my son is autistic if it applies. Fortunately we just finished our trip and only go once every year or two so I have a long time before we need to apply again. I’m worried he may not qualify just because he is now an adult even though he functions only the level of a two year old (in the body of an adult).
Autism is a spectrum disorder, and in the USA seems to be regularly self diagnosed, so it makes sense each case needs to be evaluated separately.

As I understand it, it is highly likely your son will still be accommodated by DAS.

It is my understanding that if you visit guest relations they will put you on the same video call that you would have at home.

I am not sure if anyone has any information on how private the video call area is yet.
Yes they do, no it's not private. Report here
"I was approved, but nobody else that I heard in the courtyard around me was was. They had LOTS of CMs with iPads for people to use to do video chat.
There were so many of us, it was easy to hear everyone’s conversations. Most I heard were issues I didn’t think you could get a DAS for to begin with."

It is my understanding that if you visit guest relations they will put you on the same video call that you would have at home.

I am not sure if anyone has any information on how private the video call area is yet.
It’s not very private at WDW, we’ve had reports from a couple people calling from the parks earlier this week and they specifically stated they could hear requests all around them, many of which shocked them. I believe it’s earlier in this thread.

What was weird is I bought my tickets from a vendor besides Disney. Then, I booked our room through Disney. When I first booked the room, we had the DDP but when I found out that there would be DAS changes that might affect our trip, I called and dropped the DDP so that we'd have the 5 day cancellation and had the CM double check to make sure our reservation was room only. Then, when I wanted to add another resort for our first couple of nights, I couldn't because Disney had converted my room only to a package! Had to call again. Checked today and again, it's listed as a package??? Won't affect our trip because it starts in a couple of days but anyone contemplating a cancellation might want to check their reservation.
Did your reservation number change? Was there a refund and new deposit charged? If not, all they did was remove the DDP and leave you with a "basic" package -- which is essentially a room-only booking (because it has no tickets or dining) but runs under the package cancellation terms. So yes, if anyone is making a change, you may need to cancel the package -- but if you booked a special rate that might be lost. So be sure to ask before doing anything.

I’m getting the terminology/nuances of the two similar options a bit confused, they were offered to leave the queue and meet the rest of their party at a merge point I think - they’d specifically asked if the CM meant they had to be separated from their family, the CM had said just for the ‘short’ queue time, they’d gone back to point out that Seven Dwarves can reach 120 minutes and were they meant to spend that amount of time separated to which the CM confirmed their understanding was correct.
That would be the Attraction Queue Re-entry. How it is handled may differ by attraction and (apparently) were in the queue you were when leaving.

Did your reservation number change? Was there a refund and new deposit charged? If not, all they did was remove the DDP and leave you with a "basic" package -- which is essentially a room-only booking (because it has no tickets or dining) but runs under the package cancellation terms. So yes, if anyone is making a change, you may need to cancel the package -- but if you booked a special rate that might be lost. So be sure to ask before doing anything.

That would be the Attraction Queue Re-entry. How it is handled may differ by attraction and (apparently) were in the queue you were when leaving.
Thank you, my call ended up going well and since the new room booked for the 1st 2 nights cost a little more, I did not have to pay additional fees.
Edited to add - the number may have changed.

The one thing I don’t understand is Disney states that DAS is for autism or similar developmental disabilities but then doesn’t want to hear that your child is autistic? ...
The person who designed this process for Disney is not a genius to put it mildly, no diagnosis should ever have been mentioned by Disney. We knew that was a dumb thing to say when we saw it. Personally, even if applying due to issues stemming from autism, I would practice describing the needs without using the word autism. It does not seem to have anything to do with if people qualify or not as some have reported qualifying and others reported not qualifying.

As for what you may or may not be facing in the future- there have been reports of adults being approved so all hope is not lost. Yes, many are not but simply being an adult does not automatically disqualify you from DAS.

I would imagine the “return to queue” will be used a lot in Disneyland. Disneyland (especially Fantasyland) is not mobility device accessible. I have seen a lot of people given a return time in the past.

I can only imagine how difficult utilizing the Attraction Queue Re-entry will be in lines like IJ, RSR, TMRR, and even the HM. It is going to be a mess! (Pun intended - not to make fun of those with IBS or worse but an attempt to add some humor to a stressful situation).

Package cancellation penalty starts at 30 days prior to arrival now, not 45. This changed maybe a year or so ago.

Room-only cancellation is currently at 7 days, though that will shift to 8-days for 2025 bookings.

Correct that tickets can be moved to new dates (paying any additional if needed). Further, fully unused tickets that expire will continue to hold a credit towards future tickets; I suggest making note of ticket number and value because they will disappear from MDE after expiration. This is true regardless of where the tickets were purchased -- direct from WDW or a 3rd party authorized reseller. Also note that some authorized resellers may have a refund policy -- check with the vendor.
Customer service can peer into your MDE and find old expired tickets if you ever lose them.

We take a picture always and Dropbox into our Disney folder. Helps years down the line if issues arise. We have old tickets dating back to 2004 still, lol.

Dvc really does stand out though with the 31days holding. If you're in a bund, split the reservation to minimize the holding points potential if you're worried on the potential.

I’m getting the terminology/nuances of the two similar options a bit confused, they were offered to leave the queue and meet the rest of their party at a merge point I think - they’d specifically asked if the CM meant they had to be separated from their family, the CM had said just for the ‘short’ queue time, they’d gone back to point out that Seven Dwarves can reach 120 minutes and were they meant to spend that amount of time separated to which the CM confirmed their understanding was correct.
Thanks for the extra info!

So it sure sounds like DAS was denied and they were told to utilize Attraction Queue Re-Entry (AQR) instead. Which does not require pre-approval and is available to anyone. This tracks 100% with a bunch of first-hand reports I’ve seen today from people also being denied DAS and told to ask CMs at attractions to utilize whatever exit & return system that attraction has in place.

I also saw a first-hand account of someone using AQR at Peter Pan yesterday or today: they told a CM they needed to exit to use a restroom, their party stayed in the SB line, and upon their return the CM sent them through the LL to wait for their party at the merge. No diagnostic details were involved: they just said they needed to use the restroom.

My point in laying all of this out is that with more and more reports coming in, it really does look like the goal is to spin as many as possible off DAS by asking them to use AQR instead. Which might be great for lots of people, or at least good enough… but the splitting up of families to make that work is disappointing.

Which might be great for lots of people, or at least good enough… but the splitting up of families to make that work is disappointing.
A suggestion could be for people to have a plan in place before they visit so it takes the "in the moment" upsetness out of it. Are there attractions that aren't an issue for others to ride without you if you anticipate it being long, are there ones really everyone wants to ride together, are there situations where you may make the determination everyone exits the line and tries again later, etc. For those who have gone before that's easier to do as they have at least been able to get the lay of the land and figure out some attractions.

Thanks for the extra info!

So it sure sounds like DAS was denied and they were told to utilize Attraction Queue Re-Entry (AQR) instead. Which does not require pre-approval and is available to anyone. This tracks 100% with a bunch of first-hand reports I’ve seen today from people also being denied DAS and told to ask CMs at attractions to utilize whatever exit & return system that attraction has in place.

I also saw a first-hand account of someone using AQR at Peter Pan yesterday or today: they told a CM they needed to exit to use a restroom, their party stayed in the SB line, and upon their return the CM sent them through the LL to wait for their party at the merge. No diagnostic details were involved: they just said they needed to use the restroom.

My point in laying all of this out is that with more and more reports coming in, it really does look like the goal is to spin as many as possible off DAS by asking them to use AQR instead. Which might be great for lots of people, or at least good enough… but the splitting up of families to make that work is disappointing.
It’s not ideal, but splitting up during the wait and being able to ride together is better than splitting up for both, if that makes sense

A suggestion could be for people to have a plan in place before they visit so it takes the "in the moment" upsetness out of it. Are there attractions that aren't an issue for others to ride without you if you anticipate it being long, are there ones really everyone wants to ride together, are there situations where you may make the determination everyone exits the line and tries again later, etc. For those who have gone before that's easier to do as they have at least been able to get the lay of the land and figure out some attractions.
Tonight, my grandsons and I will watch ride and show videos. They'll decide what they want to do. Tomorrow, I will notate the plan on my phone. It really does help. I've done this for years. We do veer off plan sometimes, but it's good to have a template.

Have there been any reports from those traveling solo, or those with only minors about the AQR accomodation (other than the lady with the 5 year old we talked about a couple of days ago)? Since there is no one to leave standing in the line, what are they offering to those folks?

Have there been any reports from those traveling solo, or those with only minors about the AQR accomodation (other than the lady with the 5 year old we talked about a couple of days ago)? Since there is no one to leave standing in the line, what are they offering to those folks?
I keep looking - haven’t seen any yet, only guesses and speculation, I’m afraid. If it didn’t involve 4+ hours of my life in I4 holiday traffic, I’d be tempted to go to WDW this weekend to test run it myself.

I would be interested to know what % of those approved had already purchased G+ or LL. I could totally see them being more willing to approve someone who paid the money for faster access since they clearly aren’t trying to get a DAS to save the money. Not saying it is happening, but I could see it.

We always buy all the things that make it so we don’t have to wait as long everywhere we go as we see it as a return on investment to make sure we can all enjoy whatever it is even with our various needs. We use the DAS as an additional support when needed at Disney, but they still get our money.

I would be interested to know what % of those approved had already purchased G+ or LL. I could totally see them being more willing to approve someone who paid the money for faster access since they clearly aren’t trying to get a DAS to save the money. Not saying it is happening, but I could see it.

We always buy all the things that make it so we don’t have to wait as long everywhere we go as we see it as a return on investment to make sure we can all enjoy whatever it is even with our various needs. We use the DAS as an additional support when needed at Disney, but they still get our money.
That’s why I’d shared the case on the last page - someone who was denied who always purchased Genie+ was told by a CM that they couldn’t see that history. I had also wondered if this might factor in.

Well, if that's true, you wonder what is the % of those passes that were handed out. I haven't heard anyone mention getting one with mobility. I thought that was a valid reason 20 years ago.

Note, we only needed one for a few years due to different needs, but have used a wheelchair/scooter for 8-10 years due to knee issues. I have no track record of changes over the years.
No, mobility wasn't a valid reason for DAS or GAC (the card before DAS) even 20 years ago.
I know more about WDW than DL, but the biggest difference is that DL continues to have more attractions that are not accessible thru the regular line.

When MK and EPCOT were built, most attractions were designed to bring a steady flow of guests walking to the boarding area. Guests using mobility devices of any kind were moved to the exit in most cases to board. Nothing was needed - the CM saw the mobility device and routed the guest where they needed to go.
In the early 1990s, at WDW they started converting queues to be wheelchair accessible in the regular lines (called Mainstream Access). Disney MGM Studio (now called Disney Hollywood Studio) and AK were built with mostly Mainstream Lines. Nothing was needed to use a mobility device in line.
The Guest Assistance Card (GAC) was the accessibility program at the time - it had a stamp for 'Alternate Entry' , which was usually the exit, even for Mainstream lines. It was meant for people whose disability prevented them from waiting in long lines. Some of them had mobility needs, but also had conditions that prevented them from waiting in the long lines - those guests had GAC with the alternate entry stamp.
Some of the guests with mobility devices without additional needs came to the exit like before the line was renovated. They were told they could use the regular line, but would need GAC to use the alternate entry.
So, people started posting they were not allowed to use the 'accessible entry' without GAC and the myth of needing GAC or DAS with a wheelchair was born

Was it on this thread where someone posted a phone# you could call to find out in advance if you would be eligible for DAS? I'm watching too many threads, I think!!! :)
No. Not actually.
Before the change, a lot of people were emailing or text messaging Disney and asking about the changes. Some guests were told they could use the DAS Registration link on the website to ask questions. But, it wasn't to tell ahead of time whether or not you would be eligible
That is one of my other big issues with this process - does anyone else feel as though that 30 days window is to ensure people can't cancel their trips? You can't cancel even DVC reservations inside of 30 days without your points going into holding. The 30 day rule seems like a way to put people in an impossible situation.
I don't think so.
Before the DAS Advance Video registration started in 2021, guests were only able to register in the parks. There was no guarantee that guests who had DAS before would be approved; even though guests thought of it as a renewal, the CMs were always supposed to be handling it as a registration and asking the questions each time.
A few interesting (unrelated) comments from Facebook that give some insight into how this is working:

And someone else in regards to the medical professionals that seem to sometimes be joining the calls:

The same poster said that the CM they spoke to denied that they could see their history of using Genie+.
It would surprise me if the CM could NOT see a history of using Genie+. It's not really pertinent to DAS requests
IF (haven't gone through it yet) it really is resulting in a significant amount of rejections to people who have medical conditions, I would fully support and think it would be a good idea to allow people an option to provide medical evidence.

Disney wouldn't even need to handle it on their own as there are 3rd parties who are capable of collecting, evaluating, and protecting such information.
The 3rd party that Universal is using is a marketing organization. Many people think the people handling the information are medically trained staff. From what I've seen and read, they appear to be clerical and probably just have a checklist of what they will accept. The things they are accepting are looking for a diagnosis or just say the person has a disability, not anything about needs related to waiting in lines at a theme park. For example, they will accept a doctor letter that says only that the person is disabled (nothing more), a copy of a handicapped parking permit, copy of National Park Access Card, copy of a page from an IEP that lists the diagnosis

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter