DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I agree. When we were there we had an older group of ladies complaining to us they won't qualify anymore because of their mobility issues. They were a group of 4 or 5 who thought because they used scooters they needed it.
Well, if that's true, you wonder what is the % of those passes that were handed out. I haven't heard anyone mention getting one with mobility. I thought that was a valid reason 20 years ago.

Note, we only needed one for a few years due to different needs, but have used a wheelchair/scooter for 8-10 years due to knee issues. I have no track record of changes over the years.

If you're not given DAS (which it appears sometimes people are being approved for DAS when alone or with only small children that cannot be left alone) then I would imagine you'd need to go to the ride entrance and ask a CM each time.

Because these new accommodations are so new, nobody really knows how they'll be used in practice yet. Its possible the "return to queue" option (where a CM would give you a return time and would then allow you to enter the LL) maybe more geared towards solo riders since Rider Switch and Attraction Queue Re-entry does not sound like it would work solo? But it also might be up to each CM. You may be asked to try the standby line and if you need to leave then talk to a CM and see what they can offer you.

We also don't really know for sure how sparingly CMs are being told the "return to queue" option must be used other than what the one operations CM shared. Its possible they will have more flexibility than communicated but we really don't know at this point.

Since you're local, you may end up finding out for us :)
I have DAS in place for my next planned visits, but I was planning to test out AQR and report back, thinking okay - maybe that is a viable alternate to DAS. It sounded like DAS CMs were recommending it as an option for those denied DAS. But I kind of forgot that being a solo visitor makes the situation different all around. I’m still game to give it a try, though, if we don’t have more concrete info on it before mid-June!

I agree. When we were there we had an older group of ladies complaining to us they won't qualify anymore because of their mobility issues. They were a group of 4 or 5 who thought because they used scooters they needed it.
The problem lies in that there are other parks, such as Cedar Fair where you do have to have their equivalent even with a mobility device, so I can kind of see where one might think that at Disney, but the CMs should have informed them that for just mobility they don't.

I also think this is a good example of why they need to make sure DAS is not overused. If the lines are too full of people with needs that could be accommodated by a return to line, then the DAS doesn’t work for your son as the wait will still be too long.

I believe that is also the basis Disney can fight challenges to the changes under.
Not if Disney’s recommendation is to buy Genie+. You’re in the same line but paying Disney for the same meltdown struggling to find a CM who understands return to the line so you haven’t blown your one chance at riding it that day… makes them happy, though, since they got you to pay extra for that experience.

Not if Disney’s recommendation is to buy Genie+. You’re in the same line but paying Disney for the same meltdown struggling to find a CM who understands return to the line so you haven’t blown your one chance at riding it that day… makes them happy, though, since they got you to pay extra for that experience.
When people hear "Genie" they automatically go to "Genie+".

There is a FREE portion of GENIE is a free planning tool. It includes things like projected wait times to go on an attraction with the shortest wait. It's also possible to make a 'wish list' of attractions and it will come up with an itinerary to do those.
CMs have mentioned using Genie to me.
Because I knew about GENIE, I knew they were talking about the free one, not saying I needed to pay for it. I'm sure a lot of people don't know about the free planning version, so would think they were being told to purchase Genie +

If Genie is mentioned to people, they need to clarify what is meant.

Hold up, make up an agency? Below, I've posted a screenshot of my search and the first result. I don't understand why you're implying that I'm making something up. It's insulting.
Because the ADA is a law, not an agency. You can’t call a law - I’m not counting you called someone, but it was most likely the DoJ.

Understood about the difference between Genie and Genie+.

In this case it was a DAS return to the LL for BTM. Without DAS, the only access you have to this, without DAS, is Genie+. Standby wait times were not the issue.

Did you look at the screenshot that person shared? It mentions nothing of the agency name, nothing about Department of Justice.

View attachment 862273
Which still does not answer the question of which agency. They could have said they called the ADA Info Line and they don’t know which agency is in charge of that. They were making it sound the like the ADA is the agency and it is not. The federal government uses a lot of alphabet soup short hand and can be confusing. The initial posts were not clear on who was actually called.

Exactly. Our son can't ride a lot of stuff due to his special needs. So what does it matter if he re rides the same stuff. Disney is his escape. All year he's excluded from daily activities and Disney is his one place he can "do it all".
Has your son been denied??

I believe you are correct in that the CMs are following a script and they have a checklist. They are sticking tightly to that script right now.

However... you have a misunderstanding of "physical" disabilities in this context. It doesn't only refer to need for a wheelchair, but generally a medical diagnosis that is not "developmental" in nature. It might be a digestive issue, diabetes or epilepsy just to call out a few but not intending to overlook many others. A wheelchair may or may not help any of those individuals. The Attraction Queue Re-entry is expected to help many -- how well it does remains to be seen.

Those whose disabilities require the use of a mobility device can and have been accessing the queues without DAS for many years now.
While not all physical disabilities are developmental, there are developmental disabilities that are physical. I know most on this board are aware of this - just calling it out because even Disney's website (IMHO) makes it sound like developmental conditions can not be physical in nature.

All I know is getting denied, which I wrote about here, has turned our upcoming trip into a disaster. My son had a meltdown immediately after the chat. I'm going to call this afternoon and see if I can have the cancellation penalty waived due to his being denied DAS.
Yep, this is honestly the only way Disney is going to know the impact this is having on those who truly do need the accommodations.

I suppose the basis of Disney's calculation is that a portion of the people who "overuse" DAS find the extra facilities it brings worth it if offered easily and for free but not worth it if they involve too much effort or have to pay.

I suspect many people who are happy with DAS would not be interesting in paying for Genie Plus.

Understood about the difference between Genie and Genie+.

In this case it was a DAS return to the LL for BTM. Without DAS, the only access you have to this, without DAS, is Genie+. Standby wait times were not the issue.
I think Sue is/was pointing out that Disney's recommendation (per the site is to use Genie...not Genie+). Others have skimmed the site and are seeing the part that says Disney Genie Service and referencing that they are recommending people to buy genie+, but that isn't what the site says at all. In fact I don't see Genie+ mentioned at all on their assisting guests with accessing the parks pages.

In either scenario though, this guest had a DAS and it couldn't be effective because too many people were already in that queue, which is at the root of why the system needed to be overhauled and more restrictive with alternate options available to access rides rather than a 1 size fits all model, as there were more and more occurrences/reports about the genie+/LL lines being jammed.

Your belief/opinion is that it will still be Jammed...ultimately we will see what happens when we really start to see these changes fully implemented in about 25 more days.

I suspect many people who are happy with DAS would not be interesting in paying for Genie Plus.
For just my husband and I, sure I'd buy genie+.

My lack of interest in paying for genie+ for DD is grounded in the fact that she should not have to pay money for her disability to be accommodated. She *should* continue to qualify for DAS. She has significant developmental disabilities. I won't go into details so as not to feed abusers. But hearing so many with significant developmental disabilities being denied - when this is the population DAS is still supposed to be for - is very concerning.

For just my husband and I, sure I'd buy genie+.

My lack of interest in paying for genie+ for DD is grounded in the fact that she should not have to pay money for her disability to be accommodated. She *should* continue to qualify for DAS. She has significant developmental disabilities. I won't go into details so as not to feed abusers. But hearing so many with significant developmental disabilities being denied - when this is the population DAS is still supposed to be for - is very concerning.
Its impossible to tell if any individuals story of the need for DAS is accurate, overstated or indeed understated on these forums. People obviously have an interest in presenting themselves in a certain way and people famously lie on the internet.

The only way Disney will know that they have found the correct balance is if less ride capacity is used by DAS holders and simultaneously no legal challenges are successful. I would be surprised if the entire system isn't being carefully monitored and tweaked.

Consider, that many with disabilities will never experience certain rides like you're thinking. My DD rides IASW, Pirates, and HM multiple times a trip, but she'll never get to experience Big Thunder, Space, or even Slinky.

Genie+ would not work for my family.
Not just rides. Like I can’t go through the standard queue most of the time unless it’s a walk on meaning I’m just breezing through the queue.

And to be honest sometimes I miss having the usual experience as dumb as it might sound. Sure the thought of standing in a hot crowded queue on its own is miserable. But I know I miss getting to see things because I go through the FP lane.

It sounds great that we don’t get to stand in the heat. But we’re also hyper aware I think that because of it we miss part of the Disney experience in a way with the theming

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter