DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

did Disney explain why DAS will basically extend it only to people with cognitive disabilities?
Disney has determined there is over-use/abuse/too many people accessing the LL due to DAS. (we won't get into discussion about which of those reasons is accurate, not accurate, believable, etc. it is what it is). So Disney has decided they need to revamp the disabilities accommodations offered. Within that revamp are some new offerings such as Attraction Queue Re-entry, additional uses for Rider Swap, etc. DAS will be reserved for "intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time." It is not just cognitive disabilities, but DAS has sort of outgrown itself and is impacting park operations so something needs to change.

They are not creating a tier system or a "whose disability is worse" -- the accommodations offered are supposedly more inline with the actual need. While yes it can seem like a downgrade to have had relatively easy access to the LL and then be told no, the accommodation only needs to be "reasonable" and DAS for all (almost all) needs is more like "gold standard" in that sense. Already people with most hearing, vision and mobility disabilities have not be granted DAS. It all depends on the person's needs.

According to a post made on another forum by an Operations CM, Return to Queue as this CM calls it is like a DAS 1.0 where the front line CM has the ability to issue a return time for a ride. The CM said it is very limited and that Disney is auditing how many are issued so they can't be "given out like candy". I'll see if I can dig up the post where I quoted what the person said.
Right, and by that statement it is "very limited" which means it is not a "standard accommodation" -- which is what I said. DAS 1.0 is not really an accurate description unless you mean it's on paper. DAS 1.0 was the same as DAS 2.0 other than the first was on paper and then it became digital. DAS has worked the same basic way ever since it started in 2013. The "return to queue" is used for specific situations determined at the attraction at that time -- such as what has also commonly been called a "wheelchair return time" -- you might go to Jungle Cruise in a wheelchair and be let right in through the exit or you might be given a return time because they have too many wheelchairs already in the queue. It's not a standard offering for anyone to request. You cannot walk up to Jungle Cruise and request one simply because you think it's the "reasonable accommodation" for you, it doesn't get offered that way. I believe it has been mentioned as a possible option for Attraction Queue Re-entry at certain attractions or when leaving the queue at/after a certain point. But again that would be determined by the CM based on the situation at hand, not something you simply walk up and request.

Someone making a complaint about lack of "reasonable accommodation" would still need to show why the more standard accommodation(s) offered were not appropriate (and likely that it was tried and failed) before insisting on something that is non-standard.

When people hear "Genie" they automatically go to "Genie+".
I agree, many people simply refer to Genie+ as just "Genie" so I can easily see people confusing that if Genie (the planning tool) is suggested.

It's also possible that someone who's had DAS in the past but now denied has asked something like "well how do I use the Lightning Lane?" and the answer would correctly be "you need to purchase Genie+ or ILL$." That doesn't mean the CM was recommending the paid option as the accommodation, but it was discussed as something the guest could do if they so choose.

This is why third-party reports from other social media are very difficult here because there is no way to ask for clarification of a situation.

Right, my point is that there is no “ADA agency” to call - if the PP called the DoJ, Inwould thought she would say that rather make up an agency.
Hold up, make up an agency? Below, I've posted a screenshot of my search and the first result. I don't understand why you're implying that I'm making something up. It's insulting.

The website even makes it look like an agency so no need to accuse of making up an agency name. I'm guessing the average American doesn't know what is an agency vs committee vs board vs council vs commission, etc. The US government can be very confusing.

1716416716602.png

I have been following this thread over the last few days so sorry if someone already explained it but did Disney explain why DAS will basically extend it only to people with cognitive disabilities? I think the most icky part is that it feels like there is some tier system of disability/pain/who has it worse.

I don’t get why medical issues are not being taken into account and the answer is basically just to leave the line and get back in when you are feeling better. I am so confused.

Is it because they did a study and discovered that medical needs were that much great than cognitive so they decided to draw a line in the sand there?

BTW: I am asking because I truly don’t get but I don’t hold anything against people who do get the DAS pass still.
From what I’ve gathered, just based off social media comments (which may or may not be true so take it for a grain of salt), medical conditions are being approved on a case by case basis on what your needs are.

It could be totally wishful thinking on my part, but I’m hoping they’re going to relax the approval process in the coming weeks/months, while they work out the kinks. It’s only been in effect for two days now and already seems like a nightmare for everyone, CMs included.

The website even makes it look like an agency so no need to accuse of making up an agency name. I'm guessing the average American doesn't know what is an agency vs committee vs board vs council vs commission, etc. The US government can be very confusing.

View attachment 862202
Thank you!
Also because my husband was a farmer for years, I was used to dealing with the FSA which is an agency of the USDA and then also dealt with the FDA, lol, all end in A.

Last edited:
I think I can answer this. We had tried to book Safari at one point when it closed before the park did, and the wait time was past the closing time,and it was not available to book the DAS return time. I do assume that had we gone to the ride itself and asked, we may have been let through the LL then or given a modified return time, based off others’ recounts, but didn’t want to risk walking all the way to the back of the park.

This is only my experience but I have been in this exact situation. End of the evening, posted wait for the Safari was 60 minutes. Park was probably closing in 30-40 minutes. We were at the ride. CMs would not let us get a return time or let us ride through the LL. Not a modified time, nothing. It was a hard no. Family of 4 with a nonverbal autistic adult sized son.

Looking back I would have just gotten in the standby line and took our chances. In my experience, the wait times, especially at AK, at closing are severely overestimated. I’m looking at you Kali River Rapids that we have ridden several times at closing, always has a posted 60 minute wait, and is always a complete walk-on. I’m guessing the Safari might be the same way.

But then again if the wait was 60 minutes. And it was the end of the evening. And we had to get in line and then leave. DS might have a complete meltdown. And that would be very bad.

So your son will hurt someone if he has to stay in a 20 minute line. But is fine ina dark boat for 7 minutes, or a high speed coaster in the dark?

It intrigues me how so many people are like that, where a quiet line is horrific, but a jerky ride is fine.

I don’t see how someone can even visit any part of WDW if a 20 minute wait is a deal breaker.

Yes this is reality for my son and many others like him.

I’ve had interviews where I said 1-2 sentences of the most generic symptoms before the CM interrupted and approved me.
Struck us at times it was almost as tho they had a quota per hour to fill
DAS users have to join the VQ at 7 or at 1 just like everyone else, and have to show up during their boarding window just like everyone else.
Previously, they were very lenient with boarding times if using DAS as, unexpected events are prone to happen
20 minute waits is where the bad things are likely to occur with him. I wish I could predict it but we can't. Some days are great and some we are packing it in after a few hours.
you are not alone in this. It’s a concern for many, those who can appear ok when comfortable in their homes. Put them in a queue and the coping distractions fail, it can be a real cluster.

Previously, they were very lenient with boarding times if using DAS as, unexpected events are prone to happen
Thankfully I’ve seen reports of DAS users being turned away for being late at Tron, since they usually don’t let non-DAS users ride late unless they have some kind of conflict. When it comes to VQ and riding late, DAS users should be treated like everyone else.

Okay, so bear with me here…

It initially sounded like some people being denied DAS were being told RTQ/other acronym starting with A that I’ve already forgotten was an alternative accommodation option should the Guest be unable to stay in the SB line due to their disability. Right?

I took that to mean I try the 45min SB line for HM, make it 15 mins before my disability makes it impossible to stay, exit and request whatever means of return HM has set up. Rinse and repeat for any other attractions I try to do that day - maybe it’s Peter Pan, POTC, and Space, which all have SB waits of 30 mins or more. This isn’t quite as easy to use as DAS, but for some, it would work reasonably well.

But now we’re hearing the exit and return accommodation is only supposed to be used sparingly. I’m not sure if that means by the Guest - as in you only get one shot at that a day or something? - or by the CMs - they can only allow X number of Guest to use it per shift?? - but let’s say for whatever reason, I’m denied that accommodation at Pan, POTC, and Space after being allowed to use it at HM. So I’m unable to ride 3/4 attempted rides. It’s no longer an alternate accommodation if it’s not actually accommodating the disability… right??? Or am I missing something obvious here?! My brain hurts lol! :headache:

(ETA: I came back to point out that the above scenario is purely hypothetical and based on how I *think* others might want to tour MK. For me, if HM is posting a 45min SB, that’s my redline cue that MK’s crowd level is higher than I’m willing to endure and I’d actually be at another park altogether, lol!)

Last edited:
It initially sounded like some people being denied DAS were being told RTQ/other acronym starting with A

But now we’re hearing the exit and return accommodation is only supposed to be used sparingly.

Yes, confusing.

Attraction Queue Re-entry is the new(ish) accommodation. It is available to all guests; many with young children have used it. AKA “bathroom pass”. Until this week many folks have unofficially talked about a “return to queue” option but it is officially known at WDW as Attraction Queue Re-entry.

Return to Queue is very limited at WDW and means a different procedure.

Okay, so bear with me here…

It initially sounded like some people being denied DAS were being told RTQ/other acronym starting with A that I’ve already forgotten was an alternative accommodation option should the Guest be unable to stay in the SB line due to their disability. Right?

I took that to mean I try the 45min SB line for HM, make it 15 mins before my disability makes it impossible to stay, exit and request whatever means of return HM has set up. Rinse and repeat for any other attractions I try to do that day - maybe it’s Peter Pan, POTC, and Space, which all have SB waits of 30 mins or more. This isn’t quite as easy to use as DAS, but for some, it would work reasonably well.

But now we’re hearing the exit and return accommodation is only supposed to be used sparingly. I’m not sure if that means by the Guest - as in you only get one shot at that a day or something? - or by the CMs - they can only allow X number of Guest to use it per shift?? - but let’s say for whatever reason, I’m denied that accommodation at Pan, POTC, and Space after being allowed to use it at HM. So I’m unable to ride 3/4 attempted rides. It’s no longer an alternate accommodation if it’s not actually accommodating the disability… right??? Or am I missing something obvious here?! My brain hurts lol! :headache:
The mods have mentioned it many times before, don't have time to go back and check for you the details but in a nutshell: there are 2 accommodations that are being mixed here. One is the Return-to-Queue (similar to how wheelchair users are given a time to return sometimes), this is the one that is supposed to be used sparingly. As in, once in a blue moon and not every time someone requests it. CMs are supposedly being monitored on how many they give and will be reviewed formally if they are giving them out easily.

The other one that starts with an A is the ability to leave the queue while your party continues in the line, the person fulfills their needs and then meets with their party back in the queue with CM assistance.

Yes, confusing.

Attraction Queue Re-entry is the new(ish) accommodation. It is available to all guests; many with young children have used it. AKA “bathroom pass”. Until this week many folks have unofficially talked about a “return to queue” option but it is officially known at WDW as Attraction Queue Re-entry.

Return to Queue is very limited at WDW and means a different procedure.

The mods have mentioned it many times before, don't have time to go back and check for you the details but in a nutshell: there are 2 accommodations that are being mixed here. One is the Return-to-Queue (similar to how wheelchair users are given a time to return sometimes), this is the one that is supposed to be used sparingly. As in, once in a blue moon and not every time someone requests it. CMs are supposedly being monitored on how many they give and will be reviewed formally if they are giving them out easily.

The other one that starts with an A is the ability to leave the queue while your party continues in the line, the person fulfills their needs and then meets with their party back in the queue with CM assistance.
Got it - thank you both! AQR is what I was thinking of as the alternate accommodation. So bear with me again…

I’m solo. I AM my “party.” That’s the grey area we still don’t have any good info for how my scenario above would work - right? It is entirely possible I’ve missed that piece.

Got it - thank you both! AQR is what I was thinking of as the alternate accommodation. So bear with me again…

I’m solo. I AM my “party.” That’s the grey area we still don’t have any good info for how my scenario above would work - right? It is entirely possible I’ve missed that piece.

If you're not given DAS (which it appears sometimes people are being approved for DAS when alone or with only small children that cannot be left alone) then I would imagine you'd need to go to the ride entrance and ask a CM each time.

Because these new accommodations are so new, nobody really knows how they'll be used in practice yet. Its possible the "return to queue" option (where a CM would give you a return time and would then allow you to enter the LL) maybe more geared towards solo riders since Rider Switch and Attraction Queue Re-entry does not sound like it would work solo? But it also might be up to each CM. You may be asked to try the standby line and if you need to leave then talk to a CM and see what they can offer you.

We also don't really know for sure how sparingly CMs are being told the "return to queue" option must be used other than what the one operations CM shared. Its possible they will have more flexibility than communicated but we really don't know at this point.

Since you're local, you may end up finding out for us :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter