Cruising The Canal May 1, 2015 (Roll Call in Post 1)

I wonder when they will have information available about what special performers will be on board, or if you have to wait until the cruise to find out! I am excited to find out what we will have!

DH Sumner & I Cathy, took a chance & just booked this Panama Cruise with our DD Kim & Grandsons Jay (5) & Evan (3). Late seating. Residing Deck 6. We have been to Panama City & saw the Miraflores Canal Lock 2009. Can't wait cruise in it. We did go out on a small boat on Lago Miraflores to see the Monkey Islands. Our hotel was The InterContinental Hotel it is across the Bridge of the Americas. We drove over it many times with a rent car. Not recommended but we had no choice. Crazy drivers! During rush hours, 3 of the 4 lane bridge are one way and are manned by a line of Policemen! Too scary! Great trip though. Hope to get to meet you all.

Are there any other hints you can give us about things that will be going on?
I can tell you to I think its fair to assume there will be a BBQ in the back of Beach Blanket on the Canal day. This BBQ has happened on every one of the WBPC cruises so its fair to say it will happen here. As far as entertainment I would say that I think there will be a Crew Talent Show and someone from Disney on Broadway but thats just speculation. I just looked at his website and Captain Ken Puckett will be giving his lectures. He is good and a very nice man. He is a retired Canal Pilot from when the U.S. ran the canal.

Glindamood
Have you used SAS Transportation Before? We have also booked Spring Hill Suites, Ft. Lauderdale for Thursday night. We get in late 10:45 pm. We spoke to the Hotel about getting to the Port of Miami on Friday. They use KSA Tours. The price is the same but the pick up times for KSA are limited 9:00 am or 12:00 pm. However, KSA Tours looks classier. I need to see what SAS pickup times are. Let's talk. Cathy

We booked last week. It will be my mom, hubby and I and our 4 kids who will be (then) 7boy, 6girl, 4boy and very nearly 3girl. So close to being three that we are going to beg for her to be allowed in the club (assuming she's done with the whole potty training business).

This is our second Panama cruise. We are super excited about it. We did it the other way in December 2012 and it was amazing. There were hardly any kids and it was just so relaxing to hang out and get in the groove of being on the ship.

Hi! My Mom, sumcatflomo, introduced us earlier today. We just booked and are SO EXCITED!!! I've stalked this board and finally caught up with all 53 pages. We've been on 1 Disney Cruise and several other cruises, Disney is the BEST! Mom and I are interested in some of the tastings, Tequila! And I'm not sure about FE yet, we've never done it and I don't know enough yet. I am also wondering if they will let my almost 3 year old in the club with his brother. He will be 2 weeks away from being 3. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Cozumel - we are Nachi people and they are closed as well but we are going to do a resort for the day.

We are also flying into FLL but staying at SpringHill Suites (free transportation from the airport) and then taking SAS on Friday morning to the port. Just easier to deal with and no need for a rental car.

Glindamood
Have you used SAS Transportation Before? We have also booked Spring Hill Suites, Ft. Lauderdale for Thursday night. We get in late 10:45 pm. We spoke to the Hotel about getting to the Port of Miami on Friday. They use KSA Tours. The price is the same but the pick up times for KSA are limited 9:00 am or 12:00 pm. However, KSA Tours looks classier. I need to see what SAS pickup times are. Let's talk. Cathy

For those of you who have been on this cruise before, I'm wondering if it's necessary to get foreign currency for both Mexico and Columbia.

I'd prefer not to bring/use my credit cards when I'm going ashore. I'm also assuming that US currency is more than likely accepted at the Mexico ports. I wasn't sure about Cartagena, however.

I'm more interested in tip money, and perhaps souvenir cash as well.

Thanks!

Quick question for those who've done the PC before. On these long sailings do people tend to dress up more consistently for dinners in the MDR? Some chatter on the board about how mostly shorts-casual folks are getting. I don't want to pack aaaaaall the dresses, shoes, etc etc if it isn't needed. ;)

For those of you who have been on this cruise before, I'm wondering if it's necessary to get foreign currency for both Mexico and Columbia. I'd prefer not to bring/use my credit cards when I'm going ashore. I'm also assuming that US currency is more than likely accepted at the Mexico ports. I wasn't sure about Cartagena, however. I'm more interested in tip money, and perhaps souvenir cash as well. Thanks!
From what I remember most places that you will shop at will,take U.S. Dollars.
Quick question for those who've done the PC before. On these long sailings do people tend to dress up more consistently for dinners in the MDR? Some chatter on the board about how mostly shorts-casual folks are getting. I don't want to pack aaaaaall the dresses, shoes, etc etc if it isn't needed. ;)

Yes people do dress down. That's cool. I say it's about the individual. For me I will wear slacks every night that's it is cruise casual and not change after dinner. On the semi formal and formal nights I dress for dinner and then head back as fast as I can to change back to my day clothes.

We have found that more people dress up for formal nights on the longer cruises than on the shorter ones. Kind of special. It isn't necessary at all but lovely to see and so nice to be able to do every now and then. Other nights the clothes you see range quite a bit. Personally I do take some nicer clothes than day wear as I don't get the chance to wear them otherwise. But it is all optional of course. You won't feel out of place if you dress up or if you don't.

For those of you who have been on this cruise before, I'm wondering if it's necessary to get foreign currency for both Mexico and Columbia.

I'd prefer not to bring/use my credit cards when I'm going ashore. I'm also assuming that US currency is more than likely accepted at the Mexico ports. I wasn't sure about Cartagena, however.

I'm more interested in tip money, and perhaps souvenir cash as well.

Thanks!

Don't forget to barter. 90% of the time they'll come down.

A lot of people that will be on this cruise are from an older generation that is much more formal in dress. I know my mom is that way so when ever we attend something like a wedding, bridal lunch or nice restaurant she is dressed-up. Not that it matters what the majority will do because there will be people dressed very casual too and that's ok.

In regards to the dressing up, we did the EBTA in 2013 and I honestly didn't notice what anyone was wearing. Is that weird? We are super (super) casual in our real lives so for the crossing I made my husband spiff up a bit. He wore khakis and buttons downs or polo shirts each night and the girsl and I wore dresses and skirts. But I can honestly say that I didn't notice what the others tables wore at all.

We were taking SAS from FLL to our hotel, but we changed our hotel to one that is near the Miami airport and SAS doesn't service those hotels. Now I don't know who to book for transfers. Any ideas?

Welcome to everyone just joining us! pixiedust:

My son (Austin - 24) and I just booked :cool1:-- look forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks
Roxi

I guess I never posted my info for roll call, please add me to the list!

Sheri & DH Scott, Room 6128

Thanks

Hey Roxi. My two sons, 24 and 22 will be on this cruise. They will be glad that there are other people their age. We are from Utah...

Glad to hear there will be other young adults on board! I'm a single mom so looking for cruise pals.

We are in stateroom 5136.

Are people flying into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale -- pondering on our end since Southwest doesn't fly into Miami....hmmmmm.

Thanks
Roxi

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter