Cruise Curmudgeons of the World Unite

I am not quite sure if this makes me a curmudgeon, though I do share many of the sentiments expressed here. :goodvibes

I will share one on this board, however ... the Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fanstasy are SHIPS, not BOATS.

I am not quite sure why that bothers me so much, but I will immediately pass over a thread with the word BOAT in the title. Rather like nails on a chalkboard to me. :confused3

I am a TOTAL curmudgeon when it comes to parents who let their kids do ANYTHING. Push, run wild, scream endlessly, demand, litter, leave sticky messes, back talk, etc, etc. :scared1: What ever happened to teaching manners? It's not the kids' fault, it's the parents. I am not above correcting the kid and don't mind the dirty looks from the parents one little bit.

Rant over (for today)...

But I'm just getting warmed up. Yes, you and I straight-arm the little weasels at the elevator when they try to run in before anyone can get off. "Always let people out before you get in -- to a bus, monorail or elevator. Just pretend it's the classroom you avoid."

And I'm still not joining (see message 11).

I will share one on this board, however ... the Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fanstasy are SHIPS, not BOATS.

I am not quite sure why that bothers me so much, but I will immediately pass over a thread with the word BOAT in the title. Rather like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Yes, boat, front, in the back, right side, upstairs, floor.
(i.e. ship...bow...aft..............starboard..topside...deck)

Lubbers!

Oh wow, how I LOVE and NEED this thread!!! I'm the curmudgeon here...alone in a family of six (although my teenage daughter is in training and doing quite well).

No idea why people love the pirate thing so much. I think it's just plain weird. Hate the formal night...I'd rather run around in my shorts and t-shirts all day long. I think the Cruise Directors talk WAY too much, and I find myself saying, under my breath, "shut up, shut up, shut UP" while they're yammering about. I don't mind parading waiters, but waving the napkins??? The way my family eats, you can bet a boatload of crumbs would come flying out of our napkins. Ours stay in our laps. :thumbsup2

I loathe the cheerleading cast members. That much perkiness must addle the brain. I also despise being spoken to like I'm a rather dimwitted 2 year old.

At the last pirate party insanity descended om me and I queued for cake. It took forever to wind my way to the table, and they were out of forks. I asked the cast member for a fork and she made a hand gesture to me that I should eat the cake with my hands. I wanted to make a finger gesture back at her but opted to just snarl politely.

I finally found a fork and went up to deck 10, where promptly a strong gust of wind came and blew my piece of cake off my plate and over the railing. It would have been poetic justice had the wind-launched cake hit the fork gesturing cast member in the face. I would have then considered the evening a great success.

Okay....I've already complained in a previous post about the server at Palo thinking our dinner was all about her, so I won't go on about that again, but....

Does anybody really like their picture with the captain??

We've tried that twice over the years, and both times he looked tortured - like he was somewhere between annoyed and bored out of his skull to be in the photo with us. Friends & family pause to chuckle when they see it (yes, we purchased them, as well)!!

When I scan the group of pics in Shutters, he pretty much looks that way with everyone...so what is the point, exactly?

:cool1: <-- I do like the emoticons though (guilty pleasure)!

Okay....I've already complained in a previous post about the server at Palo thinking our dinner was all about her, so I won't go on about that again, but....

Does anybody really like their picture with the captain??

We've tried that twice over the years, and both times he looked tortured - like he was somewhere between annoyed and bored out of his skull to be in the photo with us. Friends & family pause to chuckle when they see it (yes, we purchased them, as well)!!

When I scan the group of pics in Shutters, he pretty much looks that way with everyone...so what is the point, exactly?

:cool1: <-- I do like the emoticons though (guilty pleasure)!

I have to say that I honestly don't think I could name a Disney ship captain to save my life, so I'm with you. :goodvibes

You know, I could also not care less if my cruise director is Bret or Christiaan or the Dalai Lama, yet this seems to be world for a lot of people.

I have to say that I honestly don't think I could name a Disney ship captain to save my life, so I'm with you. :goodvibes

You know, I could also not care less if my cruise director is Bret or Christiaan or the Dalai Lama, yet this seems to be world for a lot of people.

I'm going to start to have family photos taken with our taxi driver.

And yes, I agree when I see the photos at Shutters he has almost a pained look on his face in every one of them.

Here's my Curmudgeon rant.... Please don't let the kids bring video games to the dinner table. Show some manners!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I'm going to start to have family photos taken with our taxi driver.

And yes, I agree when I see the photos at Shutters he has almost a pained look on his face in every one of them.

Yes, the taxi driver, and your Pinocchio's slice of pizza. The salt shakers at your table, the lock on the public bathroom doors ........

Here's my Curmudgeon rant.... Please don't let the kids bring video games to the dinner table. Show some manners!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Huge pet peeve, ship or not!! :thumbsup2

Anyone think Disney should entirely do away with autograph books?!? They make the lines waaaay too long. And how about the people that can't seem to quickly take a photo? HURRY UP!!!!:dance3:

Anyone think Disney should entirely do away with autograph books?!? They make the lines waaaay too long. And how about the people that can't seem to quickly take a photo? HURRY UP!!!!:dance3:

I know the kids seem to like the autograph book thing (well, mine didn't), but gotta admit I don't really get the autographed pillow case either. I mean, does one CM in the back sign it in a few different ways? We're not really talking about a specific signature, given that many different people may wear the same character costume....

I DO like the characters & it makes for some cute photos to pose with them, but I don't get the name on a pillow case (written by who knows who) when no one is around....! :confused3

I'm beginning to think this thread is dangerous for me...:eek:

I know the kids seem to like the autograph book thing (well, mine didn't), but gotta admit I don't really get the autographed pillow case either. I mean, does one CM in the back sign it in a few different ways? We're not really talking about a specific signature, given that many different people may wear the same character costume....

I DO like the characters & it makes for some cute photos to pose with them, but I don't get the name on a pillow case (written by who knows who) when no one is around....! :confused3

I'm beginning to think this thread is dangerous for me...:eek:

Now that you mention it, I've never quite understand the whole pillow case thing either. I can understand (sort of) getting the character to sign an autograph face to face, but not the whole back room pillow case deal.

I have visions of some crew member, sitting in a t-shirt, smoking a stogie and taking swigs from a whiskey bottle sitting there signing, "(heart) Snow White."

I loathe the cheerleading cast members. That much perkiness must addle the brain. I also despise being spoken to like I'm am a rather dimwitted 2 year old.

At the last pirate party insanity descended om me and I queued for cake. It took forever to wind my way to the table, and they were out of forks. I asked the cast member for a fork and she made a hand gesture tomme that I should eat the cake with my hands. I wanted to make a finger gesture back at her but opted to just snarl politely.

I finally found a fork and went up to deck 10, where promptly a strong gust of wind came and blew my piece of cake off my plate and over the railing. It would have been poetic justice had the wind-launched cake hit the fork gesturing cast member in the face. I would have then considered the evening a great success.

I would of loved to have been there for that!!! :rotfl:

Ahem!

All of a sudden all these people come crawling out of the woodwork on the last night. It would not surprise me in the least if some goon, in costume naturally, came up to our table on the last night and said, "Excuse me, but I'm responsible for stacking the spoons "off stage." I hope the spoons were to your satisfaction."

On the whole I wish on the first night they offered us a choice, "Would you like the cloying and saccharine service package, or the quiet, unobtrusive and efficient service package, where I won't try to be your pal, but you will get excellent service and be left alone?"

OK I'm jumping in here. On one of our DCL cruises a couple of years ago, we had every CM from the dining room to the room steward reminding us that their jobs, family and possibly their very lives were hanging in the balance based on our answers on the comment card and that we should put excellent on everything. What a novel idea, keeping your job based on performance. I wonder if anyone here has tried that at their workplace.

OK I'm jumping in here. On one of our DCL cruises a couple of years ago, we had every CM from the dining room to the room steward reminding us that their jobs, family and possibly their very lives were hanging in the balance based on our answers on the comment card and that we should put excellent on everything. What a novel idea, keeping your job based on performance. I wonder if anyone here has tried that at their workplace.

I forgot, my wife did give them excellent on the comment card.

Ah, but you can have fun with the family name announcement.

On past cruises we have been announced as:

- Sonny and Cher
- the Von Trapp Family
- The Adams Family

My friend and I make up names. Last cruise we were announced as Anita Martini and Annie Manildou. They'll take anything that isn't completely inappropriate.

The baked Alaska parade...I don't even like baked Alaska.

Couple of cruises ago there was this great DVC rep. I think his name was Tommy. His phone messages were hilarious.

And IMHO the mimosas are watered down...

if they are free, doesn't matter to me

Pirate Party brought out the Grumpy in me!! 1000 people freezing their buns off in the wind and no one is dancing except the cruise staff. Hmm... could it be because it was lame? Yeah... I thought so!!!
Oh... and the sail-away party that was 'postponed' until the next morning due to Superbowl. At that point, did any one really care? And what were we sailing away from exactly? That fish? Or THAT fish? Maybe that one?:confused3

I love Disney... and LOVE DCL, I just don't love the rah-rah stuff.:cheer2:

Be careful what you wish for! I am not sure I want the kids who's parents let them play video games at dinner to be sitting there with nothing to do for a couple hours either. Bored, spoiled brats at your dinner table or a couple bleeps from a video game? Lesser of 2 evils in most cases, I think.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter