Cruise Curmudgeons of the World Unite

Another thing I find questionable is the notion of a formal night. This is hardly an ambassadorial affair.

If the are going to have dinner wear, then I expect to see the host with a copy of Debrett's arranging the order of going into dinner.

If the are going to have dinner wear, then I expect to see the host with a copy of Debrett's arranging the order of going into dinner.

Now wouldn't that be interesting? Would Castaway Club members be seated based on their club level...or would this be entirely on social standing?

As there isn't much of the aristocracy cruising on DCL would you enter based on the job you do? Would military and civil servants be seated before doctors and lawyers? When would the poor teachers get seated?

Now wouldn't that be interesting? Would Castaway Club members be seated based on their club level...or would this be entirely on social standing?

As there isn't much of the aristocracy cruising on DCL would you enter based on the job you do? Would military and civil servants be seated before doctors and lawyers? When would the poor teachers get seated? .

The teachers would serve, Jackie...

Sorry, as a retired teacher I felt I needed to say that! :rotfl:

Curmudgeon here...and my husband. We have been on 3 DCL cruises...and are DVC members....

The Bingo script...it is the same...every...time.....

Thanks for the funny thread! I, too, cringe when food servers parade to music. I dislike the necessary handshake and butt kissing conversation nightly from the head servers. And I REALLY dislike (gasp) the family name announcement when we board the ship!!! I know that is practically a reason to be thrown off the DCL disboards, but I just had to throw my wee complaint in ...:lmao:

I do like the smileys here tho' :goodvibes

What makes me cringe is when I stand next to a sign, let's say the one that says Palo. Someone who is new will ask if this is Palos. I am sorry you ask me that I will say no. After all the name of the place is Palo not Palos. People who pulralize names make me cringe. Sorry that's my rant.

Thanks for the funny thread! I, too, cringe when food servers parade to music. I dislike the necessary handshake and butt kissing conversation nightly from the head servers. And I REALLY dislike (gasp) the family name announcement when we board the ship!!! I know that is practically a reason to be thrown off the DCL disboards, but I just had to throw my wee complaint in ...:lmao:

I do like the smileys here tho' :goodvibes

Ah, but you can have fun with the family name announcement.

On past cruises we have been announced as:

- Sonny and Cher
- the Von Trapp Family
- The Adams Family

Curmudgeon here...and my husband. We have been on 3 DCL cruises...and are DVC members....

The Bingo script...it is the same...every...time.....

We are DVC members too. This last cruise I felt like I was being hounded by DVC. I lost track of the number of phone messages they kept leaving for us.

I started to have nightmares about it. It was as if I was being pursued by some maniacally smiling, candy-scented aunt who who was chasing after me trying to pinch my chubby cheeks.

I'll go along with pluralses. My DA (no, not dying a##, my Dear Aunt) and her kids always called the grocery store down the hill "Safeways." I think they were posessive, not plurals. See? I can complain about a complaint.

As for grammar: The Personal Navigator has the same canned superlatives about every show, every activity on every cruise (among the three, soon four ships). Why do we still see grammar, spelling and punctuation errors?

-- Curmudgeon Club-crasher Bob

P.S. My DW insists the D stands for Darling. Maybe it's Daring. We know what it'd be if she called me her CH!

... I dislike the necessary handshake and butt kissing conversation nightly from the head servers. And I REALLY dislike (gasp) the family name announcement when we board the ship!!!...

Yes, what if they just were honest and said, "I'll be fast and invisible if you promise to tip me." Maybe I should just suggest it to him. Or do you mean the Maitre 'd? I never knew he was in the room until the last night, when he was as solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger.

I told the guy at the gangway we were traveling under assumed names. My DW shot me the stare that shatters granite (I've been struck by it so many times it no longer raises welts), and smiled at Gangway Guy, giving our real name.

Another thing I find questionable is the notion of a formal night. This is hardly an ambassadorial affair.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Jackie...

Those of us who are Tin CC members... will STALK all of you gold and platinum members at Palo... That will be me drooling on the window holding my stale cold pizza slice from Pinocchio's....

Yes, what if they just were honest and said, "I'll be fast and invisible if you promise to tip me." Maybe I should just suggest it to him. Or do you mean the Maitre 'd? I never knew he was in the room until the last night, when he was as solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger.

I told the guy at the gangway we were traveling under assumed names. My DW shot me the stare that shatters granite (I've been struck by it so many times it no longer raises welts), and smiled at Gangway Guy, giving our real name.

Ahem!

All of a sudden all these people come crawling out of the woodwork on the last night. It would not surprise me in the least if some goon, in costume naturally, came up to our table on the last night and said, "Excuse me, but I'm responsible for stacking the spoons "off stage." I hope the spoons were to your satisfaction."

On the whole I wish on the first night they offered us a choice, "Would you like the cloying and saccharine service package, or the quiet, unobtrusive and efficient service package, where I won't try to be your pal, but you will get excellent service and be left alone?"

I never knew he was in the room until the last night, when he was as solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger.

I hope it's ok - I think I want to borrow that phrase in the future! :lmao:

We were the "Doofenshmirtz" family last cruise. Surprisingly, the CM with the microphone asked if it was as in "the evil empire". My DS 4 who was kinda wide-eyed on ship entry didn't respond until two days later when he asked why that guy called us the Doofenshmirtz family...

As a DVC member, I also find the member meeting embarrassing, and have decided the 16 DVC hats and lanyards we own are enough. The goofy game show is not worth the chance at a $200 OBC anymore. I may, however, pop in just to grab a free mimosa.

As a DVC member, I also find the member meeting embarrassing, and have decided the 16 DVC hats and lanyards we own are enough. The goofy game show is not worth the chance at a $200 OBC anymore. I may, however, pop in just to grab a free mimosa.

As a DVC member, I couldn't agree more. The hard sell is WAY over the top. We always get the hats though and give them as bingo prizes for a kids charity we work with. And IMHO the mimosas are watered down...

I hope it's ok - I think I want to borrow that phrase in the future! :lmao:

It only took me a minute to come up with it. I'm so pleased you like it that I grant you full and eternal title to the phrase. So long as I get to use it myself....

So how about the cheerleading by cast preppies in white shorts while we wait to be loaded on the bus for excursions. "Is everyone having fun?" "Hello?" (tap, tap) "Testing, one two. Hey, who's excited to ride a minivan 40 miles with whining 8-year-olds to a salsa tasting? I can't HEAR you!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter