Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
During normal times, absolutely. Opening the largest theme park destination in the world in the middle of a pandemic is a little different.
Then stop asking others for their vacation plans until you have some certainty what your own plans for being open are.

One problem is that many people are unwilling to accept “closed until further notice.” I think they have plans for reopening on multiple timelines. I definitely don’t think they should release a date until its rock solid.

I’m both a shareholder and a DVC member, and I hear that I’m supposed to very angry right now, but I’m not. I guess I must just have a bigger threshold for uncertainty in these unprecedented times or something.

To me, the biggest misstep was that they incentivized people whose trips were cancelled in spring to rebook for June with free dining. That always seemed laughably unrealistic to me and caused people to think they’d definitely be open. I think that was a big mistake.
This!

There are a couple things for me here - 1) I don't have an upcoming trip planned within the next several months, and 2) I live in a state that is just now beginning to sniff a re-opening.

This is a largely unprecedented situation, not that it is a public health crisis, but because there are so many factors in play. I don't have an issue with Disney providing this update, or not doing so. I'm sure that they have potential dates planned, but the difference here is that Disney may be willing to give up on that date if there is additional concern, whereas Universal is near-fully committed at this point. They're not providing a potential opening date because it may change.

I think they'd much rather keep the potential open for re-opening at some point in June, than issue a blanket statement saying they won't open until July, and either screw over those guests that had June reservations or open to minimal crowds because it's too last-minute for someone to book a trip.

Personally, I don't expect a private company to be more forthcoming with information than my own government. Lol

Then stop asking others for their vacation plans until you have some certainty what your own plans for being open are.
Then that requires changes to MDE, and the last thing we need is Disney's horrible web app to become more complex and more broken. If they shut it down completely now you have the people trying to book for November angry.

Or, here's an alternative - personal responsibility!

The parks and hotels are closed indefinitely. It says this in most places on Disney's websites. If you book or have a reservation during a global pandemic, you should be aware that your trip may be interrupted or affected in some way. If you're not okay with that, cancel your trip or don't book it in the first place. Maybe consider waiting until most states in the US are not still under safe-at-home orders before booking a vacation if you don't want uncertainty.

There are some that are okay with those uncertainty, and I don't think Disney should punish them by removing their ability to book a trip. Especially those that are looking to book out 6+ months down the road, when the resorts are significantly more likely to be open.

I don’t think it’s cruel. People have to take some ownership of their decision to book a vacation during a pandemic at a currently shut down resort. There are no secrets at this point.

Obviously this doesn’t apply to reservations made beforehand.
I was agreeing with your point that "they should cut off reservations indefinitely until they announce a date." Our reservations were made last October, but I don't think I feel any better or worse than anyone that re-book with an inducement of free dining.

Or, here's an alternative - personal responsibility!

The parks and hotels are closed indefinitely. It says this in most places on Disney's websites. If you book or have a reservation during a global pandemic, you should be aware that your trip may be interrupted or affected in some way. If you're not okay with that, cancel your trip or don't book it in the first place. Maybe consider waiting until most states in the US are not still under safe-at-home orders before booking a vacation if you don't want uncertainty.
Yeah, sure, that sounds great and all, but have you even stopped for a second to consider the fact that I WANT THEM TO OPEN RIGHT NOW!?

I was agreeing with your point that "they should cut off reservations indefinitely until they announce a date." Our reservations were made last October, but I don't think I feel any better or worse than anyone that re-book with an inducement of free dining.

But you pulled it out without context. That wasn’t what I said, I said others have been saying that to back up my opinion that a maybe date from Disney wouldn’t be good enough.

I don’t think they need to cut off reservations indefinitely. I think people need to realize the state of the country and the world right now when booking a vacation and adjust expectations appropriately.

But you pulled it out without context. That wasn’t what I said, I said others have been saying that to back up my opinion that a maybe date from Disney wouldn’t be good enough.

I don’t think they need to cut off reservations indefinitely. I think people need to realize the state of the country and the world right now when booking a vacation and adjust expectations appropriately.
My apologies, I misread your second sentence.

There has been a lot of conversation about how they never should have allowed June reservations particularly the free dining deal back in March. And how they should still now cut off reservations indefinitely until they announce a date.

Jmho, but I think the free dining deal was their biggest mistake to date - if you didn't know for certain ( and I understand it's almost impossible to know for certain) that you were going to open by June 1st, why offer the free dining. Of course that is going to get people's hopes up. It's only natural -

“Real-time adjustments“ to park tickets or passes is what may push me to the side of canceling. If I am invested with flights, resort cost, vacation time, etc., and find out day-of that my park entry is not happening, I would be a very unhappy customer. It’d be a different story, IMO, if they provided more information in advance of my trip. For example, ”Our plan is to allow park entry to all resort guests; however, if we hit capacity, our process will be as follows...“

So, to summarize... The people who are upset about the lack of transparency are mainly people who have upcoming trips (within the next 2-3 months) -- or those who had trips recently canceled.

The people who think they are overreacting about that lack of transparency either have no trips planned anytime soon, or don't have kids or other commitments and can reschedule for whenever if they get canceled with little notice.

I know I'm generalizing, but the people who aren't going back for a while and don't have flights to potentially reschedule, DVC points, and other decisions to make with whether the reduced experiences will be worth it when they do announce their reopening plans, are not being very empathetic, IMO. I guess if I didn't have a dog in the fight, I sadly might have that attitude too.

Anyhow, it's frustrating to say the least. Someone said it pages ago, but just give me a date that you can give me the date. :rotfl:

@LSUmiss, any update from your cousin on when Seaworld is presenting their plan?

“Real-time adjustments“ to park tickets or passes is what may push me to the side of canceling. If I am invested with flights, resort cost, vacation time, etc., and find out day-of that my park entry is not happening, I would be a very unhappy customer. It’d be a different story, IMO, if they provided more information in advance of my trip. For example, ”Our plan is to allow park entry to all resort guests; however, if we hit capacity, our process will be as follows...“

I don’t blame you.

I could roll with the punches if we lived close and could pull off frequent short trips often. It’s way too much money for us to invest going when things are uncertain, virus safety concerns aside.

So, to summarize... The people who are upset about the lack of transparency are mainly people who have upcoming trips (within the next 2-3 months) -- or those who had trips recently canceled.

The people who think they are overreacting about that lack of transparency either have no trips planned anytime soon, or don't have kids or other commitments and can reschedule for whenever if they get canceled with little notice.

I know I'm generalizing, but the people who aren't going back for a while and don't have flights to potentially reschedule, DVC points, and other decisions to make with whether the reduced experiences will be worth it when they do announce their reopening plans, are not being very empathetic, IMO. I guess if I didn't have a dog in the fight, I sadly might have that attitude too.

Anyhow, it's frustrating to say the least. Someone said it pages ago, but just give me a date that you can give me the date. :rotfl:

@LSUmiss, any update from your cousin on when Seaworld is presenting their plan?
Can we amend to add a small section about the conspiracy theorist (me) who thinks the NBA is the cause of the bungled communications and overall plan?

I had a cancelled trip. A trip that we’re still dealing with because it was rented DVC points.

I also had school cancelled with little warning. Turned into a homeschooler overnight. Many family events cancelled. Sports games we hold season tickets to remained in limbo for ages. Other travel plans impacted. Summer events in limbo. Appointments cancelled, rescheduled, cancelled. I’m sure you get the point.

Am I upset at the loss of things? Absolutely. Have some things not been handled well with cancellations? Yes (and Disney has been hitting it out of the park in this area, by the way). But the only thing I’m really angry at is the entire situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter