Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way opening resorts first makes sense to me would be if either they have some sports events and conventions they are trying to accommodate,
or if the resorts open just a few days before the parks and they are trying to accommodate people whose arrival dates fall just before the parks plan to open. For example, if they are opening the parks on June 10th, it would be bad for people who had arrival dates on June 7-9 to just cancel their entire vacations. For those people, it might be better to have a few park days than none at all.
That being said, resorts would be much easier. There is already a protocol for them to be open. Some hotels never closed. There are resorts open in the Orlando area already. So there is already a protocol for reopening resorts, while there is no protocol yet for theme parks (at least, nothing official they have released).
I hadn’t thought about a 1-2 day scenario. That’s a really good point. Sports and Conventions makes complete sense too. Especially if the NBA deal goes through. I was mostly referring to the opinions that seemed to indicate a belief that the resorts would open to general guests roughly a month before the parks did. That scenario doesn’t make sense to me (unless I’m missing something).

The only way opening resorts first makes sense to me would be if either they have some sports events and conventions they are trying to accommodate,
or if the resorts open just a few days before the parks and they are trying to accommodate people whose arrival dates fall just before the parks plan to open. For example, if they are opening the parks on June 10th, it would be bad for people who had arrival dates on June 7-9 to just cancel their entire vacations. For those people, it might be better to have a few park days than none at all.
That being said, resorts would be much easier. There is already a protocol for them to be open. Some hotels never closed. There are resorts open in the Orlando area already. So there is already a protocol for reopening resorts, while there is no protocol yet for theme parks (at least, nothing official they have released).

I don’t think they open the resorts without the parks. but I do think they will limit the parks to resort guests for a while when they do open.

This is the thing that has confused me about opinions that the resorts will reopen first. Are there that many people who want to spend that kind of money (let’s ignore the DVC expiring points situation for the purposes of this) to just hang out at a Disney Hotel without being able to visit the main attraction?
I never have understood 'resorts days' or 'resort hopping', could be as in Disneyland Paris we don't have resorts, we have hotels. All I need is a room with a bed and a shower. I do not care for decor. But there are other people who think differently :)

A reason from WDW's pov could be to test how it is working to reduce guests etc. How is the mood of the guests, what are they thinking, what do they want. Do people want to eat at Chef Mickey, if Mickey isn't there.

This is the thing that has confused me about opinions that the resorts will reopen first. Are there that many people who want to spend that kind of money (let’s ignore the DVC expiring points situation for the purposes of this) to just hang out at a Disney Hotel without being able to visit the main attraction?
No, there aren't enough people who would do that to make it financially worthwhile for Disney. It isn't going to happen that way imo.

I'm sure I'll probably get flamed for this thought but if the operational updates aren't too severe and you're not terribly frightened of the virus, later this summer, such as August time frame might actually make for a great trip.
If nice discounts are offered and most things are open save a few buffets, I'm thinking half the usual crowds would be incredibly awesome, no? Of course if transportation is severely limited that could be off putting, and if no fireworks, but otherwise ...

I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

i am on hold so if you ask quickly then i may can get your question in to him.

I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

Whats the timeline for additional phases ?

Also, can someone explain why No Fast passes?

Will they cancel June dvc and/or resort reservations for those outside of the MK area? E.g., beach club...

Sounds good , seems like that is a working date, like we thought. Then again CMs are known to say wrong information before, but more smoke to add with all the other data points

No Fps really surprises me. Wouldn't that help with people in line? Limited restaurants is interesting but confusing. Wouldn't more open be better than less? Spread people out? Unless they are thinking QS only so no one is sitting inside?

ETA: outdoor only seating in the summer would be unbearable though! Just thought of that. I wonder if that whole air conditioning spread of COVID thing is part of it though?

We have a DVC resort-only stay scheduled for Saratoga Springs for arrival on 6/14. It was a planned trip without any other park visits, just activities on property and a SeaWorld visit. I wonder if SSR will still be open for us to stay at?

No Fps really surprises me. Wouldn't that help with people in line? Limited restaurants is interesting but confusing. Wouldn't more open be better than less? Spread people out? Unless they are thinking QS only so no one is sitting inside?

ETA: outdoor only seating in the summer would be unbearable though! Just thought of that. I wonder if that whole air conditioning spread of COVID thing is part of it though?
None of the stuff in that post makes sense

I am only posting what the CM said. I am still on hold - one hour and 15 minutes on call so far. Before he put me on hold, I guess I was asking the right questions and he started telling me about the phase 1 and no FP+, etc. This is all during Phase 1. I canceled my whole summer trip since I really don't want to be so limited. That is why the call is taking so long.

Last edited:
Most likely not profitable to run the non QS restaurants to even worry about staffing etc when running at 50% or less tables/seats, that is case with most restaurants, Disney or not

Well if this true then I’m totally cancelling my July trip. Thanks for the info.

Sounds good , seems like that is a working date, like we thought. Then again CMs are known to say wrong information before, but more smoke to add with all the other data points
Its still far from what you have been proclaiming. That everything would be open June 1st with everything back to normal.

I am only posting what the CM said. I am still on hole - one hour and 15 minutes on call so far. Before he put me on hold, I guess I was asking the right questions and he started telling me about the phase 1 and no FP+, etc. This is all during Phase 1. I canceled my whole summer trip since I really don't want to be so limited. That is why the call is taking so long.
Thank you for asking and posting. It’s nice to have some information. I’m sorry about your trip.

While I don’t doubt your honesty, there is no possible way a phone CM knows this right now, and certainly no way a phone CM has been authorized to release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter